and if it's not obviously what is the
point. Maybe you have to go back
and think, Why have I started
playing tennis? Because I just like it.
It's actually sort of a dream hobby
that became somewhat of a job.
Some people just don't get that
ever.

I found this on a Federer fb fan page ill try and get a source for this but I thought it was very insightful! #Respect!

Babolatbarry
10-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Gotta love Fed

RF20Lennon
10-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeap this why is hes so awesome!

Rhino
10-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Awesome quote.

Anyway, I think at this point, with the 300 week record achieved, anything from now on doesn't matter. It's just fun to see him still out there.

merwy
10-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I read it in this ATPworldtour article:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/10/41/Shanghai-Thursday-Federer-Recalls-Rise-To-Top.aspx

RF20Lennon
10-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I read it in this ATPworldtour article:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/10/41/Shanghai-Thursday-Federer-Recalls-Rise-To-Top.aspx

Oh ok thanks a lot!!! really appreciate it :)

merwy
10-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Awesome quote.

Anyway, I think at this point, with the 300 week record achieved, anything from now on doesn't matter. It's just fun to see him still out there.

Agree, I don't want to sound too negative but I think he will have more and more trouble dealing with Djokovic and Murray as he gets older, while they are either improving or staying at the same high level. So I'm afraid we will see more matches like we saw today. It's still great watching him play some amazing points like that really long point today that Federer ended up winning where the crowd went absolutely crazy. And it never gets old seeing Federer completely blast lesser players off the court. Love how he toys with his opponents when he feels like it's possible. And his cool, somewhat emotionless poker face is also one of a kind.

Mustard
10-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Well said, Roger.

CCNM
10-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Roger Federer: "Sometimes you're
just happy playing. Some people,
some media unfortunately don't
understand that it's okay just to
play tennis and enjoy it. They always
think you have to win everything, it
always needs to be a success story,
and if it's not obviously what is the
point. Maybe you have to go back
and think, Why have I started
playing tennis? Because I just like it.
It's actually sort of a dream hobby
that became somewhat of a job.
Some people just don't get that
ever.

I found this on a Federer fb fan page ill try and get a source for this but I thought it was very insightful! #Respect!
Wow! Nice to hear that Fed still enjoys what he does for a living.

nethawkwenatchee
10-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I read the artical and thought the same. That is a winning attitude!

90's Clay
10-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Sure you can enjoy tennis since its a sport.. But its also your means of EMPLOYMENT and career.. It should be taken seriously. Your job should ALWAYS be taken seriously

Prisoner of Birth
10-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Sure you can enjoy tennis since its a sport.. But its also your means of EMPLOYMENT and career.. It should be taken seriously. Your job should ALWAYS be taken seriously

All Federer is saying is that it's okay to lose and still continue to play. He didn't say anything about playing just for fun; he said he enjoys playing, that's all.

veroniquem
10-13-2012, 04:05 PM
The problem is he only says it when he's losing. Which makes it sound like another excuse.

RF20Lennon
10-13-2012, 04:09 PM
The problem is he only says it when he's losing. Which makes it sound like another excuse.

I believe he said this when they were interviewing him in shanghai about the #1 title and how he had got it back in 2004

Prisoner of Birth
10-13-2012, 04:09 PM

How is saying, "it's okay to lose," an excuse?

veroniquem
10-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Because he just lost.

RF20Lennon
10-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Because he just lost.

He didnt say this today it was sometime in his last match

MichaelNadal
10-13-2012, 04:11 PM
One of the best things you'll ever hear from a tennis player.

DragonBlaze
10-13-2012, 04:11 PM

The problem is that he said this after beating Stan, and not after losing to Murray.

So it makes your post look a bit silly now.

Prisoner of Birth
10-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Because he just lost.

Nadal, after the Rosol loss, said, "it's just a Tennis match, it's not a tragedy." Is that an excuse too? Because "he just lost"?

veroniquem
10-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Sure, that's what the loser always says. What else are they gonna come up with? They have to minimize the impact of their loss.

tacou
10-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Great insight. People are always saying "when is so and so going to retire, how can they stomach being ranked outside the top 50 BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD, blah blah blah."

What are any of these guys going to do that's more enjoyable than stepping onto the All England grass, Arthur Ashe, and even the 250 tournaments held at beautiful locations all around the world during the nicest times of year.

Losing a game of tennis must be real tough to stomach..

Prisoner of Birth
10-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Sure, that's what the loser always says. What else are they gonna come up with? They have to minimize the impact of their loss.

Try looking up what "excuse" means on a dictionary. If you still don't get it, come back and ask me.

DragonBlaze
10-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Because he just lost.

I repeat. Federer said this after his WIN over Wawrinka.

Do you have selective reading skills or something? :-|

TheFifthSet
10-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Well why would he say it when he's winning? What would the point of that be? Where would it even fit? "Yeah, it's just a loss . . . oh wait *****, I won the match! Nevermind." Although I guess if he was asked a question about it, then it would fit. But obviously, the subject of losing comes up more often . . . hmm let me think . . . when he loses.

Maybe the man just realizes there's more to life than tennis. Perspective, rather than "excuse-making". Or maybe somebody asked him how he feels about the loss. Why are you so sure it's not actually his opinion? Is he supposed to avoid the question? You're so jaded regarding Federer and his fans ("and the palm for most racist post goes to a Fed fan. Not surprising"), it's unreal lol.

TheFifthSet
10-13-2012, 04:52 PM
I repeat. Federer said this after his WIN over Wawrinka.

Do you have selective reading skills or something? :-|

LOL, that too.

DragonBlaze
10-13-2012, 04:58 PM
LOL, that too.

Hey A+ on effort for the other post though :D

TheFifthSet
10-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Hey A+ on effort for the other post though :D

haha thanks buddy:)

Mustard
10-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Because he just lost.

When he's winning, the media fawn over him. When he's losing, they are asking when he's retiring. Roger put them straight, saying that it isn't all about success, but about enjoying playing the game.

TennisLovaLova
10-13-2012, 05:51 PM
"It's all in the game"
Omar, The Wire

DragonBlaze
10-13-2012, 06:30 PM
When he's winning, the media fawn over him. When he's losing, they are asking when he's retiring. Roger put them straight, saying that it isn't all about success, but about enjoying playing the game.

Indeed, the full quote is here.

Q. You are 31 years old, same age as Li Na. She was always ****ed off when she was asked about retirement. You've been asked about that a lot. Have you ever been tired of such thing?

ROGER FEDERER: Diplomatically or the truth (smiling)?
You can only repeat yourself that many times. If people don't want to accept it, don't want to hear it anymore, it's not your probably eventually.
Look, it's a normal way of how the tour works. Eventually you hit 30 and people think, okay, that must be it normally. Actually I guess at times it could have a mental effect on some players. Unfortunately I think some players might have been pushed out of the game because of it.
Then again, once you've been top five or No.1 in the world, you don't want to be low ranked, playing on the small courts eventually.
It all depends on really what you're happy with. Sometimes you're just happy playing. Some people, some media unfortunately don't understand that it's okay just to play tennis and enjoy it. They always think you have to win everything, it always needs to be a success story, and if it's not obviously what is the point. Maybe you have to go back and think, Why have I started playing tennis? Because I just like it. It's actually sort of a dream hobby that became somewhat of a job. Some people just don't get that ever.
So for us, the players, it's logical that we love doing what we're doing and you want to do it as long as you can. That's why for me it's been somewhat simple answering the questions hundreds of times. I think also eventually it's going to stop a little bit and then it's okay.
I think I've managed it fine. It's true that it sometimes does take a little bit of a toll if you come into each press conference and have to repeat yourself unfortunately.

smoledman
10-13-2012, 08:11 PM

You little turd. What should they say - "I got butt***** by my opponent and oh I'm so glad that veroniquem will like what I just said!".

No1e
10-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Blah blah blah again from Federer. No surprise, really.

Hood_Man
10-13-2012, 08:27 PM
I think this was his 195th loss. I'm sure they're getting easier by now ;)

He clearly enjoys playing, competing, travelling the world and being cheered for. If winning really was all that mattered to him he would have quit after the Australian Open in 2009.

This is nice to hear from Roger, though not that surprising :)

PCXL-Fan
10-13-2012, 08:28 PM
95% of the posters dont know what they are talking about including veroniquem.

THIS ARTICLE WAS MADE AFTER HIS VICTORY VS CILIC. THIS STATEMENT WAS MADE on the 11th or earlier! Possibly the 10th even!

You also don't know the context of the question.

Q. You are 31 years old, same age as Li Na. She was always ****ed off when she was asked about retirement. You've been asked about that a lot. Have you ever been tired of such thing?

You can only repeat yourself that many times. If people don't want to accept it, don't want to hear it anymore, it's not your probably eventually.
Look, it's a normal way of how the tour works. Eventually you hit 30 and people think, okay, that must be it normally. Actually I guess at times it could have a mental effect on some players. Unfortunately I think some players might have been pushed out of the game because of it.
Then again, once you've been top five or No.1 in the world, you don't want to be low ranked, playing on the small courts eventually.
It all depends on really what you're happy with. Sometimes you're just happy playing. Some people, some media unfortunately don't understand that it's okay just to play tennis and enjoy it. They always think you have to win everything, it always needs to be a success story, and if it's not obviously what is the point. Maybe you have to go back and think, Why have I started playing tennis? Because I just like it. It's actually sort of a dream hobby that became somewhat of a job. Some people just don't get that ever.
So for us, the players, it's logical that we love doing what we're doing and you want to do it as long as you can. That's why for me it's been somewhat simple answering the questions hundreds of times. I think also eventually it's going to stop a little bit and then it's okay.
I think I've managed it fine. It's true that it sometimes does take a little bit of a toll if you come into each press conference and have to repeat yourself unfortunately.

DragonBlaze
10-13-2012, 08:50 PM

THIS ARTICLE WAS MADE AFTER HIS VICTORY VS CILIC. THIS STATEMENT WAS MADE on the 11th or earlier! Possibly the 10th even!

I'm quoting this again since people on here have such reading comprehension issues.

Sreeram
10-13-2012, 09:24 PM
am not a fed fan and I expected him to lose today to Andy. I still believe this is a great quote by Fed. This is what Fed and Nadal fans have to understand, it is not about your fav player just keep winning. It is good if your favourite player wins but don't get mad about them if they lose. Enjoy their game not just appreciate their victory or loss.

Povl Carstensen
10-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Great quote.

Nathaniel_Near
10-14-2012, 02:21 AM
Blah blah blah again from Federer. No surprise, really.

When will you be leaving these forums?

Magnus
10-14-2012, 02:46 AM

SO, so wrong. He always said that, he always claimed to love the sport and that's why he keeps his career going. When Fed hits a tweener or a special shot you can almost see a facial expression of a little kid who is excited he got a new toy.

Nadal like tennis to, but he doesn't love tennis, he like other sports better, and have stated that before. To me, he hates tennis cause he keeps hurting it. Nadal is the appocalypse of the sport.

Magnus
10-14-2012, 02:52 AM

Expecting veroniquem to read and investigate before making stupid remakrs is like expecting Nadal to take 15 seconds between points- not gonna happan.