PDA

View Full Version : Head Rad Pro and 1st serve

morandi
10-13-2012, 01:35 PM
I've been playing with the Head Radical Pro, strung with gut mains and RPM crosses, and modded with RPNY pallets and buttcap. I ultimately play really well with this racquet and enjoy everything about it. Nice soft feel, solid hit, tons of access to pace and spin, nice feel at net.
My only thing I have been having a hard time with is dialing in my first serve with this racquet. When I really go for it hard, it tends to sail slightly long. Not getting enough snap to bring it into the box. Luckily my second serve is such a weapon with this racquet that it has not posed much of a problem in match play, but I miss the ability to step up to the line and crank it with consistency. Coming off an APGT, and with a lot of other raquets like the EXO tour, Pure Drive Roddick, etc... I don't have this problem.
Anybody have any suggestions for technique adjustment or set-up (like adding a little lead at the tip, or maybe going full poly) ? Is it the flex of the racquet that I love everywhere else, but throws off my first serve? I don't know. Maybe I just have to get used to it a bit more.

morandi
10-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I was able to answer my own issues on court. I realized I was opening up too soon on my first serve, needed to turn my shoulders a bit more when initiating the toss, and booyah.....first serve bombs (at least as much of a bomb as I can muster). Also, even though the Rad pro is not a heavy racquet, because of its swingweight, it requires you to treat it like a 12oz racquet on serve.
Now hopefully this will hold up during matches. Its interesting how different racquets require different adjustments to ones technique, and can hide or reveal lack luster mechanics.

Sreeram
10-13-2012, 07:31 PM
I found the same as well. I fixed the problem by holding my tossing arm up little longer and there by letting my twist do more.
I am isterested about the RPNY palets, what are they and how did you install them.

morandi
10-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes keeping the tossing arm up is key.
The RPNY "wilson" like pallets feel awesome, and fit really easy. I tried the TK82S head pallets off the IG Speed, and didn't like them much, though they did feel better than the original head pallets. The RPNYs have a great feel, and their own buttcap that comes with them has a great flare and shape.
I pulled off the original pallets by soaking them in boiling water and prying them off with a thin bladed knife. You can use a hair dryer as well. I installed the new pallets by just using a little spray on adhesive, and then trimming them with a thin fine saw. They are kind of delicate so care should be taken when positioning them, as you dont want to move them around too much.
You can also just have RPNY do it for you, though it is pretty simple to do yourself.

LeeD
10-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Yup, a technique change was all you needed. Keeping shoulder's more closed finishes your swing earlier.