PDA

View Full Version : Wording of Federers Facebook post suggest retirement?

MethodTennis
10-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Leaving China...It was such a special trip to Shanghai. The fans were absolutely amazing. Thanks so much, I will always remember your support!

I don't mean to be pre-emptive and it is probably just because, although his english is very good it is not his first langauge, but the way that is worded it sounds like he wont be back in China. Strongly doubt this however, although the wording is eh...

Yeah I know he could be saying he'lll remember this specific group of fans or the fans at this particular years event.

kaku
10-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Shady wording, but it could be interpreted as this years support being more memorable than previous years

Lovely_Bone
10-13-2012, 05:54 PM
I thought the same thing when I read it. Is he going to retire? :o

Rippy
10-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Yeah, it is strange wording, but I imagine Fed didn't write it himself anyway, and the person who did write it probably didn't put too much thought into it.

Cup8489
10-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Maybe he won't play Shanghai again since after the end of this year he can choose whatever events to play.. and since china is so far out of the way between USO and basel/paris/london.. he would be less willing to make the trip if he didn't need to.

MethodTennis
10-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Maybe he won't play Shanghai again since after the end of this year he can choose whatever events to play.. and since china is so far out of the way between USO and basel/paris/london.. he would be less willing to make the trip if he didn't need to.

yeah reduced schedual could be the answer but is it not a well known fact that federer loves the tournament in Shanghai?

How does reducing your schedual work is itless compulsary tournaments past a centrain age or what?

DragonBlaze
10-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Federer is being his usual passive aggressive self, what he's really trying to say is he will always remember the death threat :shock:

/trollmode

Cup8489
10-13-2012, 06:01 PM
yeah reduced schedual could be the answer but is it not a well known fact that federer loves the tournament in Shanghai?

How does reducing your schedual work is itless compulsary tournaments past a centrain age or what?

After this year, he'll have met all 3 exemptions for masters events: 31 years of age, 12 years on tour.. and a certain number of match wins, which I've forgotten. That means he can elect to skip every single masters event without penalty if he chooses to. So flying halfway around the world for one tournament, and then back, during his typical fall break would be even less likely after this year. I was surprised he played shanghai this year, TBH.

Clarky21
10-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I hope he's not calling it quits. What a crappy era we have coming up with ******* dominating every event. Just the thought of Fed hanging up his racket makes me sad. :(

DragonBlaze
10-13-2012, 06:06 PM
In all seriousness, pretty weird wording indeed. I'm more inclined to think he probably won't ever go back to the Asian swing ever again. I still think he's sticking around till 2014.

MethodTennis
10-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Federer might want to go out as the world number 1 though? Not let his decline be a public one. He has a good chance at no1 this year but slimmer in 2013 and in 2014 next to none.

On the other hand he probably knows nothing other than tennis, still thinks he's going to win gold in Rio or aspires to win more slams or other goals. Who knows.

tistrapukcipeht
10-13-2012, 06:18 PM
He probably said goodbye to the CHinese tournament, that's all.

Lovely_Bone
10-13-2012, 06:23 PM
He also did have some funny antics during his Murray match. He was getting more upset and seeming more desperate than usual once things were going badly.
Not sure if that means anything or not.

Zarfot Z
10-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Federer specifically states he's going to play pass 2016.

You're over-examining it.

BauerAlmeida
10-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Sounds weird yes.

But I still think he will play untill Rio.

Hood_Man
10-13-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm sure I remember a situation like this a few years ago, it might even have been after the US Open final in '09. He said something which was interpreted as a message of goodbye, and of course, since he's still playing 3 years later, that's not what he meant.

I'd assume it's the same now.

Fearsome Forehand
10-13-2012, 08:21 PM
It means I won't be back unless you break out the check book and pay me big bucks to play Rafa or Joker in an exhibition match. :)

Roger loves the game so much that I don't think he will quit until he can't win anymore.

mctennis
10-13-2012, 08:23 PM
He probably can't afford to retire. He has twins to support as well as his wife. Can a guy ever get a break?

mike84
10-13-2012, 08:29 PM
tbh I find Roger very similar to Jordan and Schumacher.

Anything else they did after retirement wasn't satisfying and they came out of retirement.

cork_screw
10-13-2012, 08:50 PM
I think he worded it exactly as the author probably guessed.

If he does retire, he would probably retire right after a grandslam say USO, maybe Wimbledon. And you announce your retirement with a projected slam or event in mind ahead of time to prep people for that moment of recognition and closure, like what roddick did this year. If that's the case, shanghai would be out of the picture if he was announcing his retirement because all the slams coincide before it, which would make sense for him to say something like that if he was padding any uncertainty that he wouldn't know if next year was his last year. The thing is people don't really know what they'll do (just in life in general), but I'm sure this loss was kinda big because Murray beat him really easily seeing as how he was completely overpowered and he didn't take any set into a tiebreak or let alone win a set. Wawrinka was pretty much overpowering him as well and he was lucky to come out of that one alive.

I'm saying he's padding his moments and saying his goodbyes just in case he feels a certain way after a few months, that he won't regret not addressing any departures without making any closures without it. It's like if your grandpa visits and he's about to leave, you make sure you give him that last hug because you can't say whether you'll see him again.

And for the record "Zarfot" he never said that. He actually never made any firm commitments about exactly how long he would play. 2016 is a very long time and I don't think anyone can predict years ahead of time what will happen to them because life is pretty unpredictable. He said he would like to (wishful thinking) to play at the age of 34, but that's nothing more than just a nice thought to have. Let me say this about predicting the future. When people get married, they feel about that time that they will be with that person for the rest of their lives and nothing is going to change that. They'll be old and grey and happily be living somewhere with that person, almost like a movie. But in reality see all the registered divorces that occur every year because things change and peoples' minds change. Nothing is predictable, no matter how fit you feel things are at that moment. That is one life lesson I've learned after all my years of being alive.

smoledman
10-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Why are these Fed-retirement threads SO predictable after a loss? Remember he's still making semis & finals of big events with regularity. It's not like Sampras in 2001-2002 going out early all the time.

cork_screw
10-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Why are these Fed-retirement threads SO predictable after a loss? Remember he's still making semis & finals of big events with regularity. It's not like Sampras in 2001-2002 going out early all the time.

It's not just a loss. Watching the match, it was how he lost. Murray beat him pretty easily. I thought at the Olympics when murray crushed him that he was just tired from having that super busy schedule and that's why he wasn't moving well. Well this time, federer had a ton of rest and murray played the same way and federer got crushed again. That loss plants seeds in your head of why you're playing if you're not feeling like you're competing like you did previous encounters. That is why.

smoledman
10-13-2012, 09:09 PM
It's not just a loss. Watching the match, it was how he lost. Murray beat him pretty easily. I thought at the Olympics when murray crushed him that he was just tired from having that super busy schedule and that's why he wasn't moving well. Well this time, federer had a ton of rest and murray played the same way and federer got crushed again. That loss plants seeds in your head of why you're playing if you're not feeling like you're competing like you did previous encounters. That is why.

Fed responded well after Olympics, I expect the same in Basel.

cork_screw
10-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Fed responded well after Olympics, I expect the same in Basel.

Hey I don't want him to retire. I actually took up tennis after just watching lazily one summer, him beating roddick at wimby semis in 2003 and that was my first exposure.

I love the man and I really hope he stays for many years, but that post on his FB page is really creepy about his future.

vernonbc
10-13-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't mean to be pre-emptive and it is probably just because, although his english is very good it is not his first langauge,

Love how this is always trotted out as an excuse for some of the ridiculous things he says. English IS his first language. His mother is S African and spoke English to him and that was the first language he learned. He and Myrka are also using English as their daughters first language. He said this in an interview quite recently. Enough with the flimsy excuses for him.

PeteD
10-13-2012, 09:18 PM
I hope he's not calling it quits. What a crappy era we have coming up with ******* dominating every event. Just the thought of Fed hanging up his racket makes me sad. :(

Cheer up. Scotsman will take out the Sneering Serbian some of the time, maybe a lot of the time. Novie has plateaued but Scotty is improving. And Rog has plenty of good days left in him in which to spank both of them!

Tony48
10-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Is this for real?

How that possibly hints at retirement is beyond me.

hoosierbr
10-13-2012, 10:36 PM
I'll always remember these engaging and downright hilarious threads.

I'll now half-expect an "is hoosierbr retiring from these boards?" thread and will be half-disappointed if there's not.

Federer20042006
10-13-2012, 10:43 PM
You're reading too much into it.

I thought he may have been planning on retiring after the Olympics a couple years ago when he was speaking at the end of the Toronto final..."see you in 2 years, and if not, then in Montreal" (paraphrasing).

But looking at it now, that was silly for me to think.

I think when Federer is going to retire, he will let us know. Right now he's probably having some difficulty with motivation having won Wimbledon, regained #1, and then being saddened by Roddick's retirement. When Nadal comes back healthy, that might be enough to refuel the fire.

He said himself that he's exhausted and needs a break. We'll get a much better sense for how much longer he wants to continue at next year's AO. I highly doubt he'd just retire at the end of this year, out of the blue.

RAFA2005RG
10-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Who cares, let him retire, it won't make a difference. Rafa and Murray have 2013. And Djokovic and Rafa had it in 2011. I appreciate Federer's work for one slam in 2012, but nothing further is needed.

Evan77
10-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Federina losing to Mandy is just too much. She should retire. Even Clarky is not happy and I can't tolerate that.

His Royal Drakulness **** will rule the world. So happy right now. How u doin' Clarky? :-P

jokinla
10-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Fed's not going to pull a Roddick and announce in the middle of some major, he'll give a good year or more heads up.

merlinpinpin
10-14-2012, 02:02 AM
After this year, he'll have met all 3 exemptions for masters events: 31 years of age, 12 years on tour.. and a certain number of match wins, which I've forgotten. That means he can elect to skip every single masters event without penalty if he chooses to. So flying halfway around the world for one tournament, and then back, during his typical fall break would be even less likely after this year. I was surprised he played shanghai this year, TBH.

He only did it to secure week #300, imho.

merlinpinpin
10-14-2012, 02:06 AM
If he does retire, he would probably retire right after a grandslam say USO, maybe Wimbledon.

I don't think so. He will retire in Basel, in a year when he hasn't qualified for London, the way Edberg did in Stockholm. They both are/were lucky to have their home tournament at the end of the season, so retiring there is the obvious choice, really.

*Sparkle*
10-14-2012, 02:35 AM
He's sponsored by Rolex, who also sponsor the tournament, so he's bound to say nice things. There was speculation that he only turned up this year because of pressure from them.

I think it's more likely he's planning to skip the Asian swing next year than retire. Even more likely, he didn't mean anything by it at all!:)

zagor
10-14-2012, 03:07 AM

Actually, Sampras reached the same number of slam finals in that period as Fed did in 2011-2012 and if we take 2000-2002 period as an example, Sampras made more slam finals than Fed did in 2010-2012.

From 2000-2002 Pete won Wimbledon and made 3(!) USO finals in a row, something he never managed to achieve in his younger days.

But still, nice try LOLville.

tennis_pro
10-14-2012, 03:27 AM

I'm on the fence with this one. Federer has had worse losses in the last 1-2 years, remember when he lost to Murray in the final of Shanghai in 2010?

Besides, other than Borg (who virtually retired in his prime at 25), no other all-time great retired at a high. Sampras fluked out that US open win but he had 2 years of suckage. I would expect Federer to play for at least another 1-2 years, if he realizes the chances of winning majors are slim to none, then he will retire.

I agree that it can change and fast. Even though Federer has declined (who doesn't at 31?) he's still good enough to compete, damn the man is no 1 in the world as we speak, he's the current holder of Wimbledon, 4 Masters titles, the WTF and like 10 titles total.

Carsomyr
10-14-2012, 05:21 AM

No one can accuse you of lacking creativity.

:razz:

vernonbc
10-14-2012, 05:40 AM
I think when Federer is going to retire, he will let us know.
I'm sure you're right. Fed loves his celebrity and all the worship and I'm sure when he's ready to go, he'll have a year long world tour to accept the adoration of the masses and all the media.

He said himself that he's exhausted and needs a break.
Exhausted? But But But Fed is the master of scheduling. Isn't he the one that says there's no problem with the ATP schedule and that he's so much smarter than everyone else in dealing with it? He just had a six week break. He needs another one so soon? :???:

tennis_pro
10-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Exhausted? But But But Fed is the master of scheduling. Isn't he the one that says there's no problem with the ATP schedule and that he's so much smarter than everyone else in dealing with it? He just had a six week break. He needs another one so soon? :???:

He's exhausted at 31 years of age, believe it or not he's played more matches than anyone else on tour except Djokovic and Ferrer (both by a small margin).

At least he's not taking a 6 month break to recuperate like some.

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Yeah, OP is reading a little too much into this as a lot of people usually do. I wouldn't be surprised if he never played Shanghai again, but he is not retiring any time soon I'm pretty sure. These Fed retirement threads after a loss are like death and taxes. He's fine. Relax people. And then the age old "Oh it wasn't that he lost, it was how he lost." Come on. Seriously?

mental midget
10-14-2012, 06:06 AM
I'm sure you're right. Fed loves his celebrity and all the worship and I'm sure when he's ready to go, he'll have a year long world tour to accept the adoration of the masses and all the media.

you're awfully worked up over a position federer has never taken. when did he say he doesn't get tired? of course he does. clumsy sarcasm just makes you look desperate and petty.

MethodTennis
10-14-2012, 06:11 AM

This has precisely nothing to do with the loss, murray is playing well it was a 1000 semi. It has everything to do with the wording of a facebook post. Had he won the title and said the same thing I would have made this thread

Praetorian
10-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Reading waaaaaaay too much into the statement. IF the FB Post actually had the words "I will always remember your support." in bold as the OP decided to emphasize, then there might be fodder for discussion. However, since there was no special attention give to those words in FB (quote, bold, capital, italicized, etc.), then it's just a kind statement.

sureshs
10-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Retirement is imminent. He has been praising Murray too much. First he said Murray could become #1 and then he said after losing that average play can never beat Murray.

Roger feels comfortable losing to Murray. Nadal and Djokovic never liked him, but Murray was always respectful. As soon as Murray is firmly established at the top, Federer will retire.

rk_sports
10-14-2012, 07:58 AM
Shady wording, but it could be interpreted as this years support being more memorable than previous years

Indeed... for a second it seemed like a Davis cup match and Fed was Zhang Ze :) ... unbelievable support ... double faults / UE of opponent (Andy) cheered and challenges by Fed are called in chorus as "IN..IN...IN" (or that's what it sounded like)

kaku
10-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Indeed... for a second it seemed like a Davis cup match and Fed was Zhang Ze :) ... unbelievable support ... double faults / UE of opponent (Andy) cheered and challenges by Fed are called in chorus as "IN..IN...IN" (or that's what it sounded like)

Yeah the fans this year weren't afraid to be vocal, they were even chanting "out out out" when Murray was challenging:)

Clarky21
10-14-2012, 08:12 AM
No one can accuse you of lacking creativity.

:razz:

It's Halloween season so it fits. :)

kaku
10-14-2012, 08:15 AM
It's Halloween season so it fits. :)

What's his Christmas/New years nickname going to be?

Clarky21
10-14-2012, 08:16 AM

Not sure yet.

Hood_Man
10-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Not sure yet.

Novaclaus.

Carsomyr
10-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Novaclaus.

Eggnog.

Hood_Man
10-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Eggnog.

Novakringle.

Carsomyr
10-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Novakringle.

Ro-ho-ho-laids.

Hood_Man
10-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Ro-ho-ho-laids.

:lol:

Rudovic.

kaku
10-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Novakringle.

**** Frost

Hood_Man
10-14-2012, 08:40 AM
**** Frost

Djokovixen.

Carsomyr
10-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Djokovixen.

Prilosanta.

above bored
10-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Leaving China...It was such a special trip to Shanghai. The fans were absolutely amazing. Thanks so much, I will always remember your support!

I don't mean to be pre-emptive and it is probably just because, although his english is very good it is not his first langauge, but the way that is worded it sounds like he wont be back in China. Strongly doubt this however, although the wording is eh...

Yeah I know he could be saying he'lll remember this specific group of fans or the fans at this particular years event.
All depends where you are looking. I mean, how many times does the guy have to repeat himself.

Q. You decided to come to Shanghai at the last moment. You have a flexible schedule and can't promise anything. But the fans care the most. Will this time be the last time we will see you in Shanghai?

ROGER FEDERER: I really don't regret coming here. I had a great trip. Amazing hospitality again. People have been very friendly to me, the fans included like you mentioned.

No, my feeling is not that this is my last time, not at all. I'm trying to manage my schedule in the coming years that I can come back here hopefully several more times. So that's what I'm looking forward to do. I'll be playing in the short‑term a ton of tennis into next year, but I have to manage my schedule. That's what I'll do. So I'm going from there. I really hope I can come back next year again of course.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=84068

and.....

Q. You are 31 years old, same age as Li Na. She was always ****ed off when she was asked about retirement. You've been asked about that a lot. Have you ever been tired of such thing?

ROGER FEDERER: Diplomatically or the truth (smiling)?

You can only repeat yourself that many times. If people don't want to accept it, don't want to hear it anymore, it's not your probably eventually.
Look, it's a normal way of how the tour works. Eventually you hit 30 and people think, okay, that must be it normally. Actually I guess at times it could have a mental effect on some players. Unfortunately I think some players might have been pushed out of the game because of it.
Then again, once you've been top five or No.1 in the world, you don't want to be low ranked, playing on the small courts eventually.

It all depends on really what you're happy with. Sometimes you're just happy playing. Some people, some media unfortunately don't understand that it's okay just to play tennis and enjoy it. They always think you have to win everything, it always needs to be a success story, and if it's not obviously what is the point. Maybe you have to go back and think, Why have I started playing tennis? Because I just like it. It's actually sort of a dream hobby that became somewhat of a job. Some people just don't get that ever.

So for us, the players, it's logical that we love doing what we're doing and you want to do it as long as you can. That's why for me it's been somewhat simple answering the questions hundreds of times. I think also eventually it's going to stop a little bit and then it's okay.

I think I've managed it fine. It's true that it sometimes does take a little bit of a toll if you come into each press conference and have to repeat yourself unfortunately.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=83994

Hood_Man
10-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Prilosanta.

Noel :twisted:

Sentinel
10-14-2012, 08:54 AM

You did see how the stadium was rooting for him. All the challenges their chanting IN or OUT in his favor.

Maybe he's remembering that (someone tell him that they did the same for Joker!).

kishnabe
10-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Prilosanta.

My vote is for this :lol:

RAFA2005RG
10-14-2012, 09:41 AM
He's exhausted at 31 years of age, believe it or not he's played more matches than anyone else on tour except Djokovic and Ferrer (both by a small margin).

At least he's not taking a 6 month break to recuperate like some.

Federer's stamina is Lance Armstongesque, no recuperation required.

El Nino
10-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Meh, we still have Donald Young and Viktor Troicki...:twisted:

Sentinel
10-14-2012, 09:59 AM

Every time Clarky walks by the Pharmacy Section at her local supermarket, she comes back with a new name for Noel. ;)

I guess the next one will have to do with medications for preventing anger attacks (Intermittent Explosive Disorder/Racquet Rage) ... which will be some variation of Fluoxetine (thanks Google) or Prozac.

Provak
Nozac.
Djozac.

DMan
10-14-2012, 09:26 PM

The message was not mixed, nor did he intimate in any way he is retiring or wouldn't be back. What he was doing was being his usual classy self, by telling his shanghai fans were amazing, and that he will always remember and appreciate their support.

And, there was that issue of the death threat. Fed is not one to talk much about that. And it's quite possible the fans were extra supportive because of that threat.

Bottom line: Just another classy Facebook post by The Fed

adil1972
10-14-2012, 10:06 PM
i will stop following tennis after federer retirement

cc0509
10-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Federer specifically states he's going to play pass 2016.

You're over-examining it.

I don't believe him.

cc0509
10-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Love how this is always trotted out as an excuse for some of the ridiculous things he says. English IS his first language. His mother is S African and spoke English to him and that was the first language he learned. He and Myrka are also using English as their daughters first language. He said this in an interview quite recently. Enough with the flimsy excuses for him.

I don't think he said that. I recall reading that he said he and Mirka speak Swiss German to the kids the most and then English second. The kids are going to go to school in Switzerland after all, not North America.

cc0509
10-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Who cares, let him retire, it won't make a difference. Rafa and Murray have 2013. And Djokovic and Rafa had it in 2011. I appreciate Federer's work for one slam in 2012, but nothing further is needed.

What about Djokovic? Where exactly is he going to go? You are delusional I swear!

cc0509
10-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Fed's not going to pull a Roddick and announce in the middle of some major, he'll give a good year or more heads up.

I doubt that. I think it will be something he will spring on his fans quite quickly once he decides that is it.

cc0509
10-14-2012, 10:52 PM

What about the "break" 26 year old Nadal is taking and believe me when I say his break is not by his choice if you know what I mean. :twisted:

cc0509
10-14-2012, 10:55 PM

Coming from a Nadal fan of all people that is funny!

TheMusicLover
10-15-2012, 06:40 AM
People reading too much into Fed's words methinks. How many more times does he need to explain that as long as he's enjoying himself, he'll continue to play?

Coming from a Nadal fan of all people that is funny!

That's not a Nadal fan, that's a troll. And a bad one at that.

zam88
10-15-2012, 06:53 AM
i agree that its much more likely that the wording is either over-analyzed, or if anything means that he is unlikely to show at that particular tournament again in the near future.

I would very much like to see Roger pare back to the schedule to the minimum it would take to be in slam form.

He's got the #1 weeks record, just go for slams.

However, on the other side of the coin, it seems like having the benefit of that #1/#2 draw does help him a lot.

I'd be somewhat surprised if we saw him win a slam being some type of #5-6 seed or something.

10is
10-15-2012, 09:10 AM

LOL! I see what you did there troll. :D

Emet74
10-15-2012, 10:41 AM

What people mean is that English isn't his BEST language. You're right that Roger spoke English words first as a baby, but Swiss-German definately dominated as he was growing up, and any native English speaker knows Roger's English is far from perfect. I agree that language issues can be used as a false "excuse" when it comes to things players say including Roger, but that doesn't mean Roger's English is his best language as it clearly isn't.

I'm American but English isn't my "first" language as my mother tought me a different one earlier as a baby, but believe me it's my BEST language by a mile . . . :)

MethodTennis
10-15-2012, 02:42 PM
The message was not mixed, nor did he intimate in any way he is retiring or wouldn't be back. What he was doing was being his usual classy self, by telling his shanghai fans were amazing, and that he will always remember and appreciate their support.

And, there was that issue of the death threat. Fed is not one to talk much about that. And it's quite possible the fans were extra supportive because of that threat.

Bottom line: Just another classy Facebook post by The Fed

youre saying 'will always remember' doesnt imply that you wont be seeing the person or group of people in this case again?

SQA333
10-16-2012, 04:21 AM

I too appreciate Nadal's work for one slam in 2012.

As well as his herculean effort to push prime Rosol to 5 sets, and still come up short. :lol:

Nothing further is needed.

#Federer300 :D