PDA

View Full Version : Next racquet after the Six.One Tour

trubs
10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Hey,

I'm currently using Wilson six.one tour sticks and I love the feel of them. But I'm thinking of moving to something lighter and maybe a little easier on the arm. Anyone have any suggestions on what to try that has similar feel and playability to the six.one tour but is a bit lighter and easier on the arm?

I play an aggressive baseline game around 4.5+/5.0.

Thanks!

GenesisTurbo
10-13-2012, 09:18 PM
K Blade Tour

LanEvo
10-13-2012, 09:24 PM
What are you looking for? Something similar in headsize as well? I would recommend the Yonex 89 or the Dunlop Midsize 90.

trubs
10-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Similarish in headsize. I'm used to 90, but could go up to 95 or so I guess.

LanEvo
10-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Similarish in headsize. I'm used to 90, but could go up to 95 or so I guess.

Well the two I mentioned are the ones I have tried, not so sure of the others. I really like the Yonex the most, I recommend you demo it.

shaneno
10-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Hello. i done this too. i don't think you wanna switch. i try maybe every racket in the world from 93-100 and none made the same amazing feel as the 90. i recently switch to BLX PS 90, but i think i love the Kfactor version more.

Hey,

I'm currently using Wilson six.one tour sticks and I love the feel of them. But I'm thinking of moving to something lighter and maybe a little easier on the arm. Anyone have any suggestions on what to try that has similar feel and playability to the six.one tour but is a bit lighter and easier on the arm?

I play an aggressive baseline game around 4.5+/5.0.

Thanks!

Rafa4Ever
10-14-2012, 10:46 PM
here's my experience with the six one tour. It is a great racquet to play with and enjoy, but if you want to stay competitive at a high level it is not the most effective racquet. I would say that the racquet starts to show this around the d2 college level. Against any of the lower players the rcquet is fine because the pace and spin coming at you is not too bad. Once you get close to pro level groundstrokes (top d2 and d1) the racquets headsize and weight becomes apparent. I found the prestige mp to be an easy transition if you are coming from the tour. The prostaff is a classic but I would say it is obsolete in todays modern tennis game. Federer is the only person using it on tour and even he has issues with it at times. Sampras himself said that a more modern racquet would be more effective. Just keep that in mind

KenC
10-14-2012, 11:17 PM
My favorite racquet in the universe is the ProStaff 85. I love rallying with it and having fun with it, but it isn't THE racquet for me in serious match play. 3 years ago I did a thorough demo that included the K90, the brand spankin' new BLX90, the 6.1 95s other racquets from Head and even wanted to try a few Babolats. When I was honest with myself, my favorite racquet turned out to be the Pure Storm Limited GT. It feels like the PS85 but was forgiving enough to use in a 4.0+ match. I since moved up to the 5.0 level and the PSLGT was even more impressive against heavy hitters and really came alive at this level and I played some great tennis with it. It is certainly worth demoing, just be aware that it isn't as polarized as the BLX90 and has less power. Some can be gained back by keeping the strings around 50lbs.

I unfortunately played way too much tennis this summer and got a tinge of TE. I demo'ed the Prokennex Ki5 315 and even though it is more tweenerish than the usual player's racquet, I still play fine with it. I now see it as the ultimate jack of all trades type racquet. It does everything fine and excels in nothing really, except keeping the arm from developing TE. I think it is worth a demo for you because it has a good bit more power than the typical player's racquet but still retains a great deal of control. Great for baseline play.

Lastly, if you are looking for something lighter but can still crush balls from the baseline, you should definitely demo the Bab Pure Storm Tour. This racquet is a pure spin-power combo with good control. It is a Pure Drive on steroids.

shaneno
10-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Hello Rafa4ever,

90 Isn't A disadvantage if you know how to use it in the right way. If you look a pro's that using 95 or 96. it not different from using a 90. in my opinion D1 or D2 players play with bigger head because of todays game style most them using semi-western/ closer to western or extreme western or Hawaiian with 2 handed backhand, SO with those things player would need 100 or 98 even 95 for some. I don't see any difference from a player with a 95 to a 90. Why switch when u can awesome with a 90?

here's my experience with the six one tour. It is a great racquet to play with and enjoy, but if you want to stay competitive at a high level it is not the most effective racquet. I would say that the racquet starts to show this around the d2 college level. Against any of the lower players the rcquet is fine because the pace and spin coming at you is not too bad. Once you get close to pro level groundstrokes (top d2 and d1) the racquets headsize and weight becomes apparent. I found the prestige mp to be an easy transition if you are coming from the tour. The prostaff is a classic but I would say it is obsolete in todays modern tennis game. Federer is the only person using it on tour and even he has issues with it at times. Sampras himself said that a more modern racquet would be more effective. Just keep that in mind

corners
10-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Hello Rafa4ever,

90 Isn't A disadvantage if you know how to use it in the right way. If you look a pro's that using 95 or 96. it not different from using a 90. in my opinion D1 or D2 players play with bigger head because of todays game style most them using semi-western/ closer to western or extreme western or Hawaiian with 2 handed backhand, SO with those things player would need 100 or 98 even 95 for some. I don't see any difference from a player with a 95 to a 90. Why switch when u can awesome with a 90?

Yes, 'tis awesome when u can awesome with a 90.

Rafa4Ever
10-15-2012, 03:55 PM
While the head size may not be that much bigger with a 95, the forgiveness against big hitters is very noticeable.That being said if it were possible to make the 90 bigger without losing that feel then we would have th ebest racquet every. No racquet feels cleaner to hit with then the 90, but for the people I was playing against I was putting myself at a disadvantage. They had easier power and more forgivness and I didn't see the point of hindering myself just for better feel. My coach who played professionally not too long ago and trains a lot of the current top juniors is the person who recommended I switch just o make competing easier and open my margin for error. To each his own though, if it works for you then it works.

sunof tennis
10-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Have you tried the 2012 version? It is slightly more manueverable. You also should check out, as suggested before, the Head Prestige or maybe the Wilson 6.1 95 line

MikeHitsHard93
10-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Yes, 'tis awesome when u can awesome with a 90.

LOL.

10 chars

shaneno
10-15-2012, 05:39 PM
May i ask what ur coach switch u too?

While the head size may not be that much bigger with a 95, the forgiveness against big hitters is very noticeable.That being said if it were possible to make the 90 bigger without losing that feel then we would have th ebest racquet every. No racquet feels cleaner to hit with then the 90, but for the people I was playing against I was putting myself at a disadvantage. They had easier power and more forgivness and I didn't see the point of hindering myself just for better feel. My coach who played professionally not too long ago and trains a lot of the current top juniors is the person who recommended I switch just o make competing easier and open my margin for error. To each his own though, if it works for you then it works.

Rafa4Ever
10-15-2012, 09:33 PM
May i ask what ur coach switch u too?

prestige MP

He's sponsored by head so he's a little biased

Andyroo10567
10-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Prestige Mid?

trubs
10-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I gave the Prestige MP a try tonight, and I really liked it. Definitely didn't have the clean feeling like the 6.1 tour, but I noticed a huge diff with the weight and forgiveness and was hitting great. Definitely going to try it out again.

defrule
10-16-2012, 08:29 PM
I've been playing with my n90 for years and I bought an APGT recently and it felt very strange.

I have become so accustomed to the n90, I trust it more even with the extra forgiveness in the APDC.