PDA

View Full Version : Ideal racket weight relative to body mass?

OHBH
10-13-2012, 10:19 PM
I just ready this article on RSI talking about figuring out ideal racket weight but things do not seem to add up.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2004/02/racquet_power_and_the_ideal_ra.html

First of all they claim an average arm weighs 2000 grams which is clearly not true. Are they referring to just the forearm? They even have a tool to use to calculate your ideal weight,( http://www.racquettech.com/top/tools_toc.html ) but I cannot access the tool as it is in the members only section. Thoughts?

Also if any of you are members how does the math add up for your racket? Are you in the recommended range? Does the number feel too light or too heavy?

Rafa4Ever
10-13-2012, 10:25 PM
just choose something that feels right. I swear...people here over think every little detail. There is no equation to find a racquet that will make you win

Vlad_C
10-14-2012, 02:25 AM
After playing with lead and silicone for a while, I ended up with an ideal racquet with the following specs:
Weight: 360g
SW: 350
Balance: 7.5p HL
This works best for me.

I'm 5'10", 190lb.
I'm not sure how to get the weight of my arm... Maybe by hanging a luggage scale from the ceiling and then trying to weight my arm, parallel to the ground, at shoulder level, letting it as limp as possible... In any case I don't have the time to do it right now, plus I'm sure I would get concerned looks from my wife if I tried it, so maybe another time :)

Vlad_C
10-14-2012, 03:06 AM
If one was really obsessive about it, one could calculate the weight of his arm from its volume.

Find the volume of your arm by finding out how much water it displaces from a marked large container, such as a fish tank. Fill it to the brink, stick your arm in it (up to the elbow, or up to the shoulder, whatever you want to calculate). Then take it out and see the volume of water that got spilled over.

The average density of a human body is slightly above that of water (1.062 g/cm3, according to Wikipedia) The density of the arms and legs is higher than that, let's say 1.1 maybe.

m = Volume x density

LeeD
10-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Has nothing to do with it.
Your racket weight is based on what you like and how it works against the feller's you most often play against.

LeeD
10-14-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm 5'11" and 4 years ago, 142lbs. I was using mostly a 12.4 oz set of Dunlop 200's strung with 15 gauge strings. Worked fine.
Aging a bit, now 63, the young guns don't play against me in singles anymore, so I dropped racketweight to 10.2 oz and play mostly doubles with old folkes (35-52 year olds).