PDA

View Full Version : Why are none of the big 4 serve-dominant?

Danny_G13
10-14-2012, 07:17 AM
I remember years gone by the top players could sweep through their service matches, often to love. Sampras could do it, Federer in his earlier days.

But now none of the big current 4 seem to have a domination on their service - the number of breaks between them is rather large.

Even against the lesser players none of the big 4 are truly dominant on serve - and the number of times Federer couldn't even get in a first service yesterday was staggering. 3 DFs in a row?!

Djokovic and Murray find the net on first service a lot, and Nadal's hard to judge given his continuing absence - but he was never a player with a famously dominant serve.

Any reason why the top 4 these days are almost more impressive on receiving than serving?

The Bawss
10-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Slower surfaces.

Russeljones
10-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Federer shouldn't be included for obvious reasons.

tennis_pro
10-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Just because Fed had 1 crappy serving performance yesterday it doesn't mean he can't serve well. His serve is pretty darn dominant, it won him most of his matches this year.

No1e
10-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Djokovic's serve only seems to be in trouble when facing Murray.

kaku
10-14-2012, 07:39 AM
Djokovic's serve only seems to be in trouble when facing Murray.

The top 2 returns in the game today put so much pressure on the opponents first serve. Novak can reach almost any serve and if you give Murray even a half second extra time on a return he will punish you

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Slower surfaces.

This. I also would say that they are all good/great returners, but as others have stated, I wouldn't say Federer is not serve dominant. He doesn't serve 140 MPH bombs, but he's dominant on serve more often than not.

*Sparkle*
10-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Andy said something interesting in one of his post-match interviews when being asked about his serve. He said he thought he'd served pretty well. He'd have liked an extra few percentage 1st serves in, but that he wasn't aiming for 70% that some people think of as the ideal.

I can't remember the exact wording, but the point was that there wasn't any need to obsess about getting that percentage high if you are not relying on your serve to win you free points.

It is inevitable that the top players have a more rounded game, and while I'm sure they'd love a few free points, they aren't reliant on them.

hoodjem
10-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I remember years gone by the top players could sweep through their service matches, often to love. Sampras could do it, Federer in his earlier days.

But now none of the big current 4 seem to have a domination on their service - the number of breaks between them is rather large.

Even against the lesser players none of the big 4 are truly dominant on serve - and the number of times Federer couldn't even get in a first service yesterday was staggering. 3 DFs in a row?!

But I thought Fed has one of the greatest serevs of all time?

tennisaddict
10-14-2012, 09:27 AM
First off, Fed's serve is very much comparable to Sampras and right at the top.

Today you have better returners and players with better all round game. Plus slow surfaces.

You just cant win matches with serve alone.

Isner , Karlovic and probably Berdych may have won majors in the 90's.

Roddick85
10-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Op shouldn't include Federer's serve in this, sure he had a horrible match serving wise yesterday in Shanghai, but he's usually got a very dominant serve. As the commentators said yesterday, Federer usually leads with his % of 2nd serve won, and when his 1st serve his on, it's not unusual to see him serve down to love.

TMF
10-14-2012, 10:00 AM
The game has changed and the players today are much better returners. Since the 90s, both serving and returning have improved, but the quality return exceed quality serve. That's why it's an illusion to think the servers are inferior to the 90s

underground
10-14-2012, 10:27 AM
OP hasn't seen Federer holding service games in 1 minute before.

djokovic2008
10-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Would somebody get the hold stats for the top four as I KNOW they are very impressive it's only when they play each other they serve badly.

The Bawss
10-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Yo OP, Fed says hi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzxxNpClFXE

edit: and they didn't even include this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2u7Yx65-_I

veroniquem
10-14-2012, 11:10 AM
I don't understand the op. Fed is definitely serve dominant, not necessarily ace dominant but there is more to a good serve (and that would include 2nd serve a well) than just aces.

kishnabe
10-14-2012, 11:11 AM
When we get back to grass and fast indoor hard.....Federer serve is imaculous.

Murray served brilliant on grass this year.

Djokovic serve has been on the first 6 months of 2011. Has not appeated till this year Asian Swing.

Nadal Serve is randomly good...