PDA

View Full Version : What is the nicest feature in a racquet store?

Bas
10-14-2012, 07:22 AM
What would you like to see in your racquet store, to become your "walhalla"!

Like a:
- Serve speed measurement
- Test wall
- Tennis cinema

etc. etc.

ArliHawk
10-14-2012, 07:26 AM
My favorite local store used to have a "rally alley" where they had a ball machine and a court to help with the demo process. It was great. It has since moved to a new location, and doesn't have this feature anymore

ollinger
10-14-2012, 08:00 AM
A bathroom with self-flushing toilet and urinal; sports page from today's newspaper, taped to wall above the urinal, is also a nice feature.

darklore009
10-14-2012, 08:25 AM
My area has lots of signed pictures of the pros like federer, roddick, djokovic, nadal, etc

dode
10-14-2012, 08:49 AM
My favorite local store used to have a "rally alley" where they had a ball machine and a court to help with the demo process. It was great. It has since moved to a new location, and doesn't have this feature anymore

You must be from KC! The new location is actually their old location I believe. It really doesn't seem like the same place since they moved again.

John

Babolatbarry
10-14-2012, 09:06 AM
The giant tennis racquet :D

ewberner
10-14-2012, 09:08 AM
You must be from KC! The new location is actually their old location I believe. It really doesn't seem like the same place since they moved again.

John

It doesn't seem anything close to what it used to be. Very disappointing because it was nice to be able to try out the new racquets right there.

SFrazeur
10-14-2012, 09:29 AM
What is the nicest feature in a racquet store?

Racquets sold below MAP.

-SF

Say Chi Sin Lo
10-14-2012, 10:44 AM
The giant tennis racquet :D

A demoable giant tennis racquet :)

LeeD
10-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Knowledgeable, friendly staff that makes you feel like you're wanted there.

nyc
10-14-2012, 10:55 AM
-demo in store
-matched racquets at a really good price
-good staff

filphil
10-14-2012, 11:43 AM
A demoable giant tennis racquet :)

I've always toyed with the idea of playing with the giant tennis rackets with the giant wilson balls. :twisted:

zapvor
10-14-2012, 08:22 PM
best feature? it has the words tennis warehouse in the name :)

MAXXply
10-15-2012, 03:29 AM
- Lots of deadstock rackets/N.O.S gear
- Wall to wall faded pin-up posters of 80s tennis stars and brands
- Ditto faded Point of Sale materials and old catalogs sitting in the corner, that the store owner invites you to take off his hands.

SoBad
10-15-2012, 03:39 AM
best feature? it has the words tennis warehouse in the name :)

i'd go for a stack of "fly emirates" pillows by the door of the shop

Gee
10-15-2012, 03:41 AM
What would you like to see in your racquet store, to become your "walhalla"!

Like a:
- Serve speed measurement
- Test wall
- Tennis cinema

etc. etc.

I think a demo session on the court is the best feature. A video camera might be helpful as well.

klementine79
10-15-2012, 03:58 AM
Cougars and MILF'S in skirts, shopping for skirts.

zapvor
10-15-2012, 08:40 AM

lol that would be a fun feature

zapvor
10-15-2012, 08:40 AM
i'd go for a stack of "fly emirates" pillows by the door of the shop

maybe complimentary fly emirates magnets to take home as well

sureshs
10-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Beautiful girls as stringers.

tennisjon
10-15-2012, 10:12 AM
When my dad used to live in the Bay area I went to a tennis store where they had a ball machine set up in the store. With a few quick swings, you could tell if it was a racquet worth demoing beyond the first few swings. This way you didn't waste time or money on the wrong sticks.

One problem that tennis stores have is internet competition and this isn't about to change any time soon. They must offer people something that an online company does not. Prices can be a few dollars more in the store and the stores won't lose business. If stores charge full MSRP while you can purchase online at a much more competitive price, only people who are not in the tennis loop will pay those exorbitant prices.

acura9927
10-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Demos without waiting for it via UPS truck.

heftylefty
10-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Beautiful girls as stringers.

City & State please!!

mctennis
10-15-2012, 04:07 PM

*ditto* I'd stop by everyday at least once. Maybe even get a part time job there. Restocking the skirt racks.

SoBad
10-16-2012, 05:54 PM
maybe complimentary fly emirates magnets to take home as well

it's always nice to bring a bag full of magnets home to cover your fridge with korean menus, but there is nothing like a bunch of blue-ink fly emirates pens

zapvor
10-16-2012, 07:33 PM
lol where did my pen go

recreationalplayer
10-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Serve speed measurement ? Test wall ? Tennis cinema ? Beautiful girls as stringers ? Over the years I have noticed sporting goods stores dedicating less space for tennis equipment. As for golf, forget about it, they got it.

As for internet sales, TW has an excellent demo program, prices are usually better w/an internet retailer and selection is always better. In fact, about the only tennis related equipment I don't buy over the internet are tennis balls, but w/the price of gas creeping up I can see myself buying balls by the case, paying the shipping fee and coming out ahead.

pshulam
10-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Over the years I have noticed sporting goods stores dedicating less space for tennis equipment. As for golf, forget about it, they got it.

That's true. Store space for tennis goods is shrinking. A local golf/tennis store is having a big sale of racquets and tennis shoes with discounts up to 60%. When an item is cleared from the shelve, the space remains empty.

prjacobs
10-16-2012, 09:07 PM

Are you talking about a store that was on 24th street in Manhattan?