PDA

View Full Version : Would Isner, Raonic or karlovic have won a slam in the 90s?

djokovic2008
10-14-2012, 09:56 AM
With the surface speeds back then certainly raonic and Isner would have had a good chance. This tells me the that the surface speeds are just about right at the moment given the quality of today's final where all round players can shine.

Babolatbarry
10-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Isner and Raonic could win a slam in the next 3 years for all we know

90's Clay
10-14-2012, 10:02 AM
ROFLMAO.. No. They are crappage off the ground.. None of them have any speed, foot movement or anything other then a serve. (Isner is ok off the ground once in a while)

They are brokeback versions of Goran.. And Goran didn't even win a slam until 2001. They wouldn't have won anything in the 90s.

Just having a serve alone does not guarantee ANYTHING in any era.

Roddick probably would have been lucky to win a slam in the 90s. Yet.. Somehow trash like Raonic, Isner or Karlovic would?

Romismak
10-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Milos will win slam in future and yes would win in 90s

Isner-maybe USO- would have shot, thatīs it

Ivo-most people would say no way he is worst off the ground among those 3 guys, but i say he would have shot at Wimbledon-he is great on grass and at his serving peak he is untouchable on grass so on old ,,faster,, grass i can see him to have chance + he is good volleyear, he would love era SV without baseline rallies - in 2009 he was in Wimby QF-in 2007 he was serving even better, so IVo on faster grass, going to net more often winning matches trough tie-breaks i can see that - but only at his serving peak

tennisaddict
10-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Thomas Johansson could win 2002 AO.

Raonic , Isner and Karlovic cannot win ?

djokovic2008
10-14-2012, 10:33 AM
ROFLMAO.. No. They are crappage off the ground.. None of them have any speed, foot movement or anything other then a serve. (Isner is ok off the ground once in a while)

They are brokeback versions of Goran.. And Goran didn't even win a slam until 2001. They wouldn't have won anything in the 90s.

Just having a serve alone does not guarantee ANYTHING in any era.

Roddick probably would have been lucky to win a slam in the 90s. Yet.. Somehow trash like Raonic, Isner or Karlovic would?

Definetly think Raonic would have won a slam in the 90s, Isner would have a shot his ground game just as good if not better than gorans.

TMF
10-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Definetly think Raonic would have won a slam in the 90s, Isner would have a shot his ground game just as good if not better than gorans.

They both have better ground game than Goran, and Isner's fh has vastly improved(his monster serve + fh put away has been a great one-two punch). Raonic began to develop some consistent from the baseline. I don't see no reason why they wouldn't win a slam in the 90s, especially when the conditions are suitable for big server.

djokovic2008
10-14-2012, 10:55 AM
The thing I want people to recognise is that everyone says the surfaces are so slow which is fine but raonic, karlovic and Isner STILL hold over 93% of the time so imagine what they would do in a faster era. These guys have either truly INCREDIBLE serves even better than a good majority of those big servers in the 90s or I'm I missing something.

90's Clay
10-14-2012, 11:58 AM
The thing I want people to recognise is that everyone says the surfaces are so slow which is fine but raonic, karlovic and Isner STILL hold over 93% of the time so imagine what they would do in a faster era. These guys have either truly INCREDIBLE serves even better than a good majority of those big servers in the 90s or I'm I missing something.

Thing is if they played in the 90s, that means less access to the racket technology we have today with the lux strings, so there would be quite a bit taken off their serve chances are.

These guys are the equivalent of a Phillopousis or someone.. And he didn't win a slam either.. None of them are any better then he was really. If you want to put them in the 90s you have to put them under the same situations that everyone else had.. That means giving the same racket technology as well

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 12:02 PM
With the surface speeds back then certainly raonic and Isner would have had a good chance. This tells me the that the surface speeds are just about right at the moment given the quality of today's final where all round players can shine.

Neither of those guys would win a slam. They cannot volley for one, and they are mostly serve for another. They wouldn't win on clay obviously, and they would've had to get a Wimbledon before Sampras started dominating it in 1993. The AO is out of the question considering Sampras himself only won 2 AO's, and I still don't think either of them would win a USO although that would be their best chance.

power level 800
10-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Thing is if they played in the 90s, that means less access to the racket technology we have today with the lux strings, so there would be quite a bit taken off their serve chances are.

These guys are the equivalent of a Phillopousis or someone.. And he didn't win a slam either.. None of them are any better then he was really. If you want to put them in the 90s you have to put them under the same situations that everyone else had.. That means giving the same racket technology as well

... but Isner isn't using the fancy lux strings that you mentioned. and as for racket technology well, he's using a racket that is 100% graphite, the same exact composite material of Philippoussis prestige's. :-?

Romismak
10-14-2012, 12:45 PM

Agree that racquet technology wasnīt as good, but it wouldnīt made such difference, Ivoīs serve is more about placement - thanks to his height he can hit those spots and he would use SV, go to the net - i think Ivo would benefit on faster surfaces without so many rallies. So i would give him little chance at Wimbledon

Isner- well his kick serve probably woudnīt be so effective but with his big FH he can hit through anybody on faster HC - so i would still give him little chance at USO

Raonic-he would suffer mostly at serve - he is using new racquets and he is hitting hardest 1st serves regularly, but his style of games suits 90s and has the power, can go to the net and his serve would be still among best, so would give him chance at USO or Wimbledon.

About chances to win slam -Raonic actually has bigger chance in future with nobody from his generatinos with sch big weapons so i am confident he will win in future slam

Isner- he wonīt win slam in future, donīt believe it and his chance in 90s would be little bit higher in 90s at USO

Ivo- his chance in this era was always 0% basically without serve he is by far worst, but he can volley well and he would love to play in era with less rallies, faster surfaces and he would be scary at old grass at his best serving days - that means high FS% + million aces and unreturnables - he can win vs anybody in tie-breaks if serving well

So i would give Ivo and John little chance to win Wimbledon and USO, while Milos probably had bigger chance in future, but he would have chances in 90s to

BauerAlmeida
10-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Raonic WILL win a slam, that's for sure IMO.

In the 90's Isner would have the biggest chances from those.

Federer20042006
10-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Not a chance. Nobody even close to as one dimensional as those guys ever won a slam in the 90s.

Gonzo_style
10-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Thomas Johansson could win 2002 AO.

Raonic , Isner and Karlovic cannot win ?

Safin was "busy" the night before final :)

ktid
10-14-2012, 02:37 PM
If Ivanisevic struggled they would struggle even more, even if Ivanisevic's struggles were mostly mental

90's Clay
10-14-2012, 02:40 PM
If Ivanisevic struggled they would struggle even more, even if Ivanisevic's struggles were mostly mental

Goran was way more talented then any 3 of those guys.. If Goran couldn't win wimbledon during the Sampras era, I fail to see how any 3 of those guys would.

tennisplayer1993
10-14-2012, 02:42 PM
seriously Isner and Raonic? lol... definitely not isner and raonic unless he wins a grandslam in the next few years, im writing him off too.

karlovic just had a serve. goran was similar in terms of a very powerful serve, but goran had a much more complete game and he didn't get to win a slam until the 2001 wimbledon final.

IMO: goran's serve probably would have been easily in the 150s with today's racket technology

tennisplayer1993
10-14-2012, 02:43 PM
to be honest, i was actually routing for patrick rafter that day but i'm happy goran got the fairytale ending of a career. can't help but smile and feel happy for him that day. Wimbledon 2001 is still one of my favorite matches of all time.