PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Muzza today??

MurrayMyInspiration
10-14-2012, 09:45 AM
I just caught the highlights of the match.... What the hell happened to Murray today. He just does not have the ruthlesness to make it a bad final for spectators and serve it out without any complications....No he lets novak come back send it to 3 sets...FFS murray, every match you play does not have to be an epic!!

tennis_pro
10-14-2012, 09:49 AM
His fans got too cocky on these boards, that's why Djokovic decided to teach them a lesson.

The Bawss
10-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Murray showed his true colours, that's all. No wind in Shanghai ==> Nole wins.

Mainad
10-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Since winning the US Open, he has now managed to choke away match points in TWO successive tournaments: the Tokyo semi-final against Raonic and now the Shanghai final against Djokovic. In both tournaments he was defending champion.

It's a bit strange as we all thought/hoped his USO win would boost his confidence and send him on a mini-winning spree. Although not expecting anything like a 2011 Djokovic kind of spree, some of us at least hoped he would finish the season with a few more titles under his belt.

Of course the season is not yet ended. We can only hope he now puts these two disappointments behind him and re-focusses for Paris and the WTF, especially the latter.

MurrayMyInspiration
10-14-2012, 10:03 AM
FFS guys...Im looking for sensible comments please from those who watched the match?? You can troll and make funny comments on other threads! Thanks

Mainad
10-14-2012, 10:05 AM

Oh hello. Trust you to get in before me.

Is there any Murray thread going that you don't feel compelled to make your little nasty contribution. For somebody who apparently hates him, you sure can't resist talking about him and obsessing about him, can you?

kishnabe
10-14-2012, 10:08 AM

Why didn't Windray win Indian Wells 2009?

All-rounder
10-14-2012, 10:15 AM
FFS guys...Im looking for sensible comments please from those who watched the match?? You can troll and make funny comments on other threads! Thanks
He brainfarted on some of the big points, credit to Novak who kept his composure and didn't go away mentally after facing multiple Championship points. Murray imo was the more aggressive but his serving like always got him into early trouble in his service games.

decrepitude
10-14-2012, 10:15 AM
I watched the match. It was very, very close, very tense. My impression was that to beat Djokovic Andy would have to have been at the top of his form, and he wasn't - he was good, but nowhere near his Olympic standard and still a bit short of USO standard.

Now, I just know people always whinge about excuses, but I do think that Murray fans should keep in mind that at the start of the week he was decidedly unwell, coughing all over the place. Although it seemed much better, if you are recovering from a virus infection it seems obvious to me that you will not be in your best form. By the end of the match he looked absolutely exhausted.

Non-Murray fans can whinge about excuses if they like. Please note Andy did not make any such excuses. I can take it, my back is broad :)

Frankly I'm amazed he got as far as the final and I am certainly not letting it worry me.

All-rounder
10-14-2012, 10:18 AM
And Lool at these Fed idiots coming in here talking smack like Murray didn't give him the beatdown yesterday after resorting to gamesmanship. So please don't come in here talking "Without the conditions in his favour he couldn't win" nonsense.

kaku
10-14-2012, 10:20 AM
It's that crafty Shanghai roof, it was blocking all the wind

Crisstti
10-14-2012, 10:34 AM
It was weird. The match was very early here. I woke up to watch it, but didn't really go past the first set, and Andy had seemed in control in the beginning, he was playing just great. Then I don't know what happened to both of them... I saw parts of the rest of the match and was surprised when I saw Novak had won.

The Bawss
10-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Why didn't Windray win Indian Wells 2009?

That was pre-prime Windray.

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 11:23 AM
That was pre-prime Windray.

Yes, he's only found the magic since USO 2012 :)

tennis_pro
10-14-2012, 11:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DyeIhJw5O0#t=8m10s

kalyan4fedever
10-14-2012, 11:34 AM
His magic will be fully gone when rafa falls in his draw when he returns , then we can see the same suffering cursing andy :twisted:

Mainad
10-14-2012, 11:36 AM
His magic will be fully gone when rafa falls in his draw when he returns , then we can see the same suffering cursing andy :twisted:

But will Rafa return as good as he was in the semi-finals of 2008 USO? :wink:

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 11:56 AM
But will Rafa return as good as he was in the semi-finals of 2011 USO? :wink:

There. That's better ;).

Evan77
10-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Gosh, it took some time to watch the whole match. Still can't believe Novak saved 5 MP. just amazing. I still don't get the Chinese crowd who is completely in love with Djokovic. just amazing that Murray gets no love in China.

I don't think Novak would win this without the crowd support. Great match, this is why I love this sport.

Really love China and their culture. this match strriked me more than the USO. crazy stuff, lol.

tennisaddict
10-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Murray was back to his old self and Nole was at 1.5 level.

Order restored on the ATP circuit.

syc23
10-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Pre-Slamray bagelled Nadal in Tokyo so now AggressiveSlamray will be an even tougher matchup for Rafa on HCs.

Anyway, Andy has been under the weather all week and did pretty well to get as far as he did in Shanghai routining Fed in the process but I guess he'll get slated as usual because he lost.

He'll bounce back for WTF no doubt. I'll enjoy watching Nole & Fed tire themselves out battling for world no.1 before London. I have a feeling the Olympic Andy will be making an appearance in the O2 arena. He has a genuine shot at winning the year end championship.

Today's result is just a minor speed bump.

jokinla
10-14-2012, 12:26 PM

This always works.

RF20Lennon
10-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Id say he let it slip big time!! cause he had 5 MP's

*Sparkle*
10-14-2012, 12:53 PM
The short answer is that he ran out of steam first.

The longer answer is that it was a tight match, with Murray taking an early advantage, possibly with the benefit of Djokovic being slightly back-footed by having an opponent who wasn't a walk-over, while Andy had to fight a little bit harder. Things evened up as Nole got his eye in, and Andy started to get weary, after his slightly tougher route.

It was the toughest match either of them had played since the US Open final by a long chalk, and both played some great tennis. The first two sets could have gone either way, but during the third, Andy's form dipped. I don't think it was anything more significant than him running out of steam, which may or may not be related to him having been suffering from some kind of cold a few days earlier. Nothing dramatic and he could probably have lasted the course against most on the tour, so it's just as much credit to Nole's stamina as to any problems Andy may have experienced.

A few people seem to think Andy will withdraw from Basel, but I think they are getting ahead of themselves. The fact he could run around for over three hours and play excellent tennis for most of it is a good sign at this time of year. He didn't look injured and was arguably in much better shape than he did the other day despite being pushed much harder.

kaku
10-14-2012, 01:10 PM
The short answer is that he ran out of steam first.

The longer answer is that it was a tight match, with Murray taking an early advantage, possibly with the benefit of Djokovic being slightly back-footed by having an opponent who wasn't a walk-over, while Andy had to fight a little bit harder. Things evened up as Nole got his eye in, and Andy started to get weary, after his slightly tougher route.

It was the toughest match either of them had played since the US Open final by a long chalk, and both played some great tennis. The first two sets could have gone either way, but during the third, Andy's form dipped. I don't think it was anything more significant than him running out of steam, which may or may not be related to him having been suffering from some kind of cold a few days earlier. Nothing dramatic and he could probably have lasted the course against most on the tour, so it's just as much credit to Nole's stamina as to any problems Andy may have experienced.

A few people seem to think Andy will withdraw from Basel, but I think they are getting ahead of themselves. The fact he could run around for over three hours and play excellent tennis for most of it is a good sign at this time of year. He didn't look injured and was arguably in much better shape than he did the other day despite being pushed much harder.

I think he'll play Basel, take a week off, and play the WTF

90's Clay
10-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Murray has always been that way.. Choking and major inabilities to win under heavy pressure (with a rare USO occurrence which was helped brought on by Djoker cramping up in the 5th set and slowing down).. This is nothing new with Murray

El Nino
10-14-2012, 01:29 PM
No offence, But do you think these 'minor speed bumps' will become regular? (Raonic and now Djokovic)

ctoth666
10-14-2012, 03:19 PM
He got outpushed. I'm not one to troll, but it really occurred to me today how much I dislike these matchups. I watch it for the drama, but it's like watching a video game out there and it's just incredibly tedious. You can tell by the players' reactions and emotions that even they find it tedious. Matches like these are a great way to burn out.

Clarky21
10-14-2012, 03:22 PM
He choked. I am just glad he didn't fully choke at the USO so ******* didn't win another slam,and also because Andy deserved it more.

syc23
10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
No offence, But do you think these 'minor speed bumps' will become regular? (Raonic and now Djokovic)

You tell me. Sport is about taking chances. You can play a match where you've had advantage in every game but lose 60 60 because you couldn't capitalise.

Murray for sure have been in a similar situation before (Rome '11 against Nole), he bounced back from that and will do so again after this Asian swing.

Rozroz
10-14-2012, 03:33 PM
don't know how many ignore lists i'm in ;)
but anyway, it seemed that since the 2nd set with all the high adrenaline drama Murray's put into it, his body start feeling some pain he probably had, gradually increasing along the 3rd set until it looked really painful near the end when he was struggling on his left leg.
but in that case- why didn't he call for treatment??
he had a great chance to hold off momentum for Djokovic somewhere in the 3rd set and get himself together.
why not?

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 03:35 PM
He got outpushed. I'm not one to troll, but it really occurred to me today how much I dislike these matchups. I watch it for the drama, but it's like watching a video game out there and it's just incredibly tedious. You can tell by the players' reactions and emotions that even they find it tedious. Matches like these are a great way to burn out.

Thank you! I very much agree.

El Nino
10-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Murrays determination, consistency and resilience after disappointing losses is very good. (Loss to chardy early in his last tournament before winning the Us Open) He the favourite with Fed to win at the O2 arena, as long as he's being aggresive and taking the ball early and stops this repeated slicing he's prone to every once in a while.

dr325i
10-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Oh hello. Trust you to get in before me.

Is there any Murray thread going that you don't feel compelled to make your little nasty contribution. For somebody who apparently hates him, you sure can't resist talking about him and obsessing about him, can you?

Oh, hello Mrs Murray!
Is there a Murray thread where you do not whine how people don't like Murray and how he is a golden child... Give up, some of us will like him, some of us will not, just like with Federer, Djokovic, etc...
He had 5 MPs and gave it away. I believe he deserves to be punched a few times...

dr325i
10-14-2012, 03:49 PM
He'll bounce back for WTF no doubt. I'll enjoy watching Nole & Fed tire themselves out battling for world no.1 before London. I have a feeling the Olympic Andy will be making an appearance in the O2 arena. He has a genuine shot at winning the year end championship.

Today's result is just a minor speed bump.

:)
Nole tire himself trying to get 760 points before year's end??
Don't think so. One tournament left for him before London...

Yes, Murray has a great shot at winning it, so does Djokovic.
I would say it is Murray --> Djokovic --> someone else --> Federer chances at the WTF

ctoth666
10-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Yeah I'm sure many feel the same way, and don't get me wrong: these guys are unbelievable. The level is incredible. It's not pushing really at all. I might even argue that tennis has never been played at a higher level of stamina, intensity, and consistency, but still it's all a little bit too much for me as spectator and even the players. I mean, if these guys are to continue to beat the crap out of each other like Nadal and Djokovic did last year, they are going to have to do away with the best-of-five format. Djokovic, who has become a model of fitness, limped through the final set of the USO final. And here now in Shanghai, Murray just checks out at the end of the third set. Call me another Federer fan-boy, but there's a guy who refuses to grind it out in victory or defeat, and not only do respect that but I prefer to watch someone who is forcing play and taking risks.

On a similar note, I just did some officiating today at a boys 18's and the final pitted a skillful, shotmaking one hand back-hand player who I thought was much more impressive than his opponent, who was a tenacious grinder. But this darned kid just got to everything and didn't miss and broke down his opponent and it was kind of sad to me that this is the reality of tennis even at the junior level.

Crisstti
10-14-2012, 03:59 PM

The Murray - Djokovic match up is not the most entertaining.

The Bawss
10-14-2012, 04:06 PM

I agree also. I don't think it's their fault though, as they are just adopting the best strategy for the surface.

Clarky21
10-14-2012, 04:09 PM

No,it's absolutely not.

Crisstti
10-14-2012, 04:10 PM
No,it's absolutely not.

I'd say it's the least entertaining of the top four match ups.

Clarky21
10-14-2012, 04:13 PM
I'd say it's the least entertaining of the top four match ups.

I agree. It's like watching Pong.

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 04:28 PM

I agree, but Nadal-Djokovic is not much better. Nadal-Murray can be ok from what I remember. They haven't played in a while. Federer is my favourite player so naturally I like any match he plays, simply because he is a contrast to all of the others. It's like offence vs defence to simplify it. This is not a shot at any of the others. I would say Fed-Djokovic is my favourite matchup, and then Fed-Murray simply because you don't really know who will win each time. Djokovic-Murray is boring IMO, and Djokovic-Nadal, and Fed-Nadal matchups are a bit predictable given the matchup problems.

veroniquem
10-14-2012, 04:30 PM
I think I love all the combinations between the top 4. Good matches guaranteed all around.

JustBob
10-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Haven't seen it but let me guess, the match lasted 7 hours and mostly consisted of 40+ shot rallies ending with an error.

tistrapukcipeht
10-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Just finished watching the whole thing, it took me 3 sittings to see it in its integrity, I gotta say both played well, Murray had his chances but couldn't handle the pressure, a couple of the match points Djokovic took it from him, nothing he could've done.

3rd set he was tired and didn't hold back, it was more entertaining the 3rd set (shorter) than the first 2.

All in all, Djokovic is a better player, much stronger mentally and more solid, that's why He won, Murray played great again, but feel short when He had to be aggressive and mentally He folded.

As I said before Murray rather play Djokovic than Fed and Nadal, works better for him and He has more chances.

dr325i
10-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Haven't seen it but let me guess, the match lasted 7 hours and mostly consisted of 40+ shot rallies ending with an error.

Bringing back the beauty of tennis when they used their heads rather than their muscles to win...

I guess the 16 year olds will not understand the concept...

tistrapukcipeht
10-14-2012, 04:51 PM

Nothing extraordinary besides the baseline grindfest we all know they do, they had a few great points and great shots, but still boring as you can expect from these 2 guys.

hisrob777
10-14-2012, 05:07 PM
It still astounds me how Djokovic increases his intensity when down match points. Murray played well. Probably should have won. Unfortunate for him. He'll get over it. I think we're going to see more finals between these two. Great battle!

Crisstti
10-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I agree, but Nadal-Djokovic is not much better. Nadal-Murray can be ok from what I remember. They haven't played in a while. Federer is my favourite player so naturally I like any match he plays, simply because he is a contrast to all of the others. It's like offence vs defence to simplify it. This is not a shot at any of the others. I would say Fed-Djokovic is my favourite matchup, and then Fed-Murray simply because you don't really know who will win each time. Djokovic-Murray is boring IMO, and Djokovic-Nadal, and Fed-Nadal matchups are a bit predictable given the matchup problems.

It is. Think third set USO 2011.

Plus, Rafa plays, so it's naturally better ;)

Fed and Novak have played some brilliant matches, though I haven't thought much of their later ones.

I think I love all the combinations between the top 4. Good matches guaranteed all around.

Well, I did wake up at 5:30 to watch it.

Evan77
10-14-2012, 05:53 PM

Fed and Novak have played some brilliant matches, though I haven't thought much of their later ones.

it is so NOT. only you and Clarky can say something like that. I guess the way you see it, no Nadal no tennis. no butt picking, life is good, ah women :):).

veroniquem
10-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Congrats! You're a real fan :) (I didn't get up until 10am :oops:)

Crisstti
10-14-2012, 06:01 PM
it is so NOT. only you and Clarky can say something like that. I guess the way you see it, no Nadal no tennis. no butt picking, life is good, ah women :):).

Yes it is. I understand jealousy doesn't let you appreciate it. It's OK.

Crisstti
10-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Congrats! You're a real fan :) (I didn't get up until 10am :oops:)

I did pretty much fall asleep after the first set though :oops:. Just woke up for moments on and off for the rest of the match.
I tried :)

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 06:07 PM

Yes, so one awesome set in their last 10 or so matches is what you're saying? Last set of the Miami final was pretty good I guess, but besides that, not much. Their clay court matches haven't been great. Their Wimbledon final sucked, and their AO final is overrated IMHO.

フェデラー
10-14-2012, 06:09 PM
He brainfarted on some of the big points, credit to Novak who kept his composure and didn't go away mentally after facing multiple Championship points. Murray imo was the more aggressive but his serving like always got him into early trouble in his service games.

lol

10characters

Crisstti
10-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes, so one awesome set in their last 10 or so matches is what you're saying? Last set of the Miami final was pretty good I guess, but besides that, not much. Their clay court matches haven't been great. Their Wimbledon final sucked, and their AO final is overrated IMHO.

Well, I haven't seen any awesome sets in Murray - Djokovic matches (that I can remember). Plus it was really awesome :)

But there are better match ups among the top four, I agree. But their can be pretty amazing sometimes.

Evan77
10-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Yes it is. I understand jealousy doesn't let you appreciate it. It's OK.
no it's not but I love b!tchy (hope you don't take this in a bad way) girls like you and Clarky who fight to death for their man, lol. I wish I could meet a girl like that :). all I can say is respect you so much. I mean, sure you don't know tennis that much, but hey, who cares about tennis, Rafa is cute :twisted:. Rafa is my new star, need to change my avi soon. well at least you and that Madam Clark have some style. Love you both

Crisstti
10-14-2012, 06:33 PM
no it's not but I love b!tchy (hope you don't take this in a bad way) girls like you and Clarky who fight to death for their man, lol. I wish I could meet a girl like that :). all I can say is respect you so much. I mean, sure you don't know tennis that much, but hey, who cares about tennis, Rafa is cute :twisted:. Rafa is my new star, need to change my avi soon. well at least you and that Madam Clark have some style. Love you both

It clearly is, but like I said, it's OK :)

RF20Lennon
10-14-2012, 06:34 PM
We lost The feeling of beautiful epic tennis after Aussie 2009 final!

Evan77
10-14-2012, 06:39 PM
It clearly is, but like I said, it's OK :)
why are you guys from Chile so stubborn? My best friend was born there. He is crazy, doesn't like tennis, yet I can't help it but to love him. he tought me some really bad words, I'm proud of it, but can't bring them here (I've been banned too many times alread). We love to get drunk and dance with some great songs from Shakira :).

wondering if Clarky likes Shakira too :)

Backhanded Compliment
10-14-2012, 08:35 PM
It still astounds me how Djokovic increases his intensity when down match points. Murray played well. Probably should have won. Unfortunate for him. He'll get over it. I think we're going to see more finals between these two. Great battle!

This...

Murray still needs to improve his clutch play and switch from defense to offense a bit more unpredictably but he's made tremendous progress already.

I feel Novak is still more complete, especially when his serve is firing. Somehow Novak finds a way to win. Federer is probably better at that than anyone (2009 Wimbledon anyone) but Nole is probably the best all around player out there right now. Looking forward to London.

hisrob777
10-15-2012, 11:43 AM
This...

Murray still needs to improve his clutch play and switch from defense to offense a bit more unpredictably but he's made tremendous progress already.

I feel Novak is still more complete, especially when his serve is firing. Somehow Novak finds a way to win. Federer is probably better at that than anyone (2009 Wimbledon anyone) but Nole is probably the best all around player out there right now. Looking forward to London.

It makes Murray's US Open win over Djokovic all the more impressive. Two very strong, fit and smart players. They are both "complete" players. Djokovic is a bit more polished though. Has that killer instinct. Win at all costs. Rafael Nadal has that too. Competitive fury at its finest. I love this era in men's tennis. Great matches.