PDA

View Full Version : Has Nadal ever smashed his racquet?

New Daddy
10-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Has Nadal ever smashed his racquet?

I witnessed a rare occasion this morning when Djokovic and Murray both smashed their racquets in the same match. I also remember seeing Federer do that in the past. But I don't quite remember every seeing Nadal smash his racquet. A quick youtube search doesn't turn up anything either.

So, has he during a live broadcast match?

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Nope, Nadal has never smashed his racquet on-court, whereas the other members of the top 4 have done it several times.

All-rounder
10-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Nadal doesn't have to smash a racquet to release his anger.
-He can complain to the umpire
-Take years to serve
-Call a MTO
-Or retire

TMF
10-14-2012, 10:36 AM
I can understand Murray smashed his racquet because he should have won the 2nd set after having multiple match points. However, Nole smashed his racquet in the 1st set wasn't warrant for, because it was Murray who played well to break his serve, not because Nole screwed up.

2009 Roger smashed his racquet because he played a terrible match against Nole. UFEs were spraying left and right and I can see any player with great composure would lose it.

Clarky21
10-14-2012, 10:38 AM
No,he hasn't.

rdis10093
10-14-2012, 10:42 AM
he broke a racquet one time when he hit his shoe with it or something. there was a reading article with toni about it.

djokovic2008
10-14-2012, 10:42 AM
I can understand Murray smashed his racquet because he should have won the 2nd set after having multiple match points. However, Nole smashed his racquet in the 1st set wasn't warrant for, because it was Murray who played well to break his serve, not because Nole screwed up.

2009 Roger smashed his racquet because he played a terrible match against Nole. UFEs were spraying left and right and I can see any player with great composure would lose it.

Nole smashed his racket because he messed up two easy drive volleys and a volley after being 40 love up you can't justify Feds one and not noles.

rdis10093
10-14-2012, 10:43 AM
it was not like out of anger though, racquet was just old, and the prior return of serve did the job.

Towser83
10-14-2012, 10:46 AM

anger is anger and really you should never lose serve from 40-0 up and not blame yourself at all.

kaku
10-14-2012, 10:48 AM
he broke a racquet one time when he hit his shoe with it or something. there was a reading article with toni about it.

I think Murray broke his racquet against his shoe vs Raonic at Tokyo a week ago:shock:. Sounds painful

TMF
10-14-2012, 10:49 AM
anger is anger and really you should never lose serve from 40-0 up and not blame yourself at all.

Roger was up 40-0 and got broke by Murray in the semifinal. He didn't smash his racquet.

Maybe Nole will not break his racquet when he turned 31. :)

TMF
10-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Nole slammed his racquet to the ground 4 times. 4 times!

AS if one time wasn't enough to release fustration.

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Not as far as I know. I've seen Nole do it the most by far. He smashed a sponsor sign this year at the French I believe. He also did it in Rome this year.

Mustard
10-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Gaudio claimed that Nadal smashed his racquet after their 2005 Buenos Aires quarter final match. Nadal denied it. Gaudio won the match 0-6, 6-0, 6-1.

The closest I've seen Nadal come to smashing his racquet was at 2007 Dubai, just as he lost the first set against Youzhny. Youzhny hit a backhand on set point that was called out, and Youzhny successfully challenged it.

TMF
10-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Gaudio claimed that Nadal smashed his racquet after their 2005 Buenos Aires quarter final match. Nadal denied it. Gaudio won the match 0-6, 6-0, 6-1.

The closest I've seen Nadal come to smashing his racquet was at 2007 Dubai, just as he lost the first set against Youzhny. Youzhny hit a backhand on set point that was called out, and Youzhny successfully challenged it.

Now that's bad. If you played terrible it's understandable to smash your racquet. But to lose a point in a hawkeye challenge, that's uncalled for. That's like it's ok for every player to smash his racquet if the hawkeye didn't go his way. LOL

Jeepers
10-14-2012, 11:13 AM
He destroys his racket here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyLXxDeM8tA best racket smash ive seen!

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-14-2012, 11:17 AM
He destroys his racket here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyLXxDeM8tA best racket smash ive seen!

Yep, that's the best anyone is able to come up with.

*Sparkle*
10-14-2012, 11:17 AM
On the BBC News coverage of the final, they showed both racquet smashing events, and because Andy's wasn't quite as spectacular as Nole's they showed it in slow motion to make it last a little bit longer!

Personally, I'm not that fussed if a player takes out their frustration on a racquet every now and again, but if some people really do believe it's a terrible example, I would think that the tv channels repeating it, and the newspapers printing photos of it, are equally, if not more responsible. At least the players do it in a moment of frustration. They make a deliberate, editorial decision to include it.

Towser83
10-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Roger was up 40-0 and got broke by Murray in the semifinal. He didn't smash his racquet.

Maybe Nole will not break his racquet when he turned 31. :)

That's not rely the point, I'm just saying if you're angry you might feel the need to smash a racquet. maybe djokovic didn't smash a racquet in a situation federer did. we all feel different emotions at different times.

Clarky21
10-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Gaudio later retracted this statement when he was asked about it. He made it up because it never happened.

power level 800
10-14-2012, 11:42 AM

........... EPIC!!

Readers
10-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Now that's bad. If you played terrible it's understandable to smash your racquet. But to lose a point in a hawkeye challenge, that's uncalled for. That's like it's ok for every player to smash his racquet if the hawkeye didn't go his way. LOL

LOL, it's very clear you can't read, he did not smash his racquet.

jokinla
10-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Awesome!!!

cluckcluck
10-14-2012, 12:37 PM
I've heard that when Rafa was younger, Uncle Toni told him that the racquet he was using was the only racquet he would have all year. If he broke it, he wouldn't be able to play tennis anymore.
Just another mind control from UT.

Crisstti
10-14-2012, 12:54 PM

:confused:

How did he come close?, did he make the motion of smashing it?.

Gaudio later retracted this statement when he was asked about it. He made it up because it never happened.

He did?, hadn't heard of it.

MichaelNadal
10-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Humbalito would never do such a thing :)

Lovely_Bone
10-14-2012, 01:52 PM
If Rafa ever smashed a racquet Uncle Toni would murder him! He talks about it in his book.

Mustard
10-14-2012, 02:13 PM
How did he comes close?, did he make the motion of smashing it?

He slammed it downwards on his chair, although not with huge force or anything.

Crisstti
10-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Oh, I see :)

mistik
10-14-2012, 03:03 PM
He would better broke some racquets instead of being fake kind,because thats what he is.

Zildite
10-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I've heard that when Rafa was younger, Uncle Toni told him that the racquet he was using was the only racquet he would have all year. If he broke it, he wouldn't be able to play tennis anymore.
Just another mind control from UT.

Uncle Toni to 6 year old Nadal

You throw one racket and Iím no longer your coach. There are millions of kids in the world who would love a racket and donít have one.

smash hit
10-14-2012, 03:27 PM

Youzhny had also indicated that he thought it was out. Now if your name is Federer you just ask for hawkeye to be turned off because "it's killing me"

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Youzhny had also indicated that he thought it was out. Now if your name is Federer you just ask for hawkeye to be turned off because "it's killing me"

I was under the impression that Federer said that as a joke.

15_ounce
10-14-2012, 09:31 PM
He can't afford to break one, because he's already broken his knees and left foot.

winstonplum
10-14-2012, 09:57 PM
He hasn't. One more reason that Nadal is so unique and thoroughly beloved thorughout the tennis world. He has weird combination of being super, super competitive, but never really coming off as angry, whiny, or lame. Not that I have anything against Nole smashing racquets. I thought his smash today was awesome and well deserved. When you get broken for the fourth time in a set, and this time after being up 40-0, somebody has got to pay--the racquet.

Zarfot Z
10-14-2012, 11:25 PM
The notion of whether or not Nadal has smashed a racket is irrelevant. Just look at his last match against Rosol and you will find he is not all fair play as many TW posters make it to believe.

Magnus
10-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Has Nadal ever smashed his racquet?

I witnessed a rare occasion this morning when Djokovic and Murray both smashed their racquets in the same match. I also remember seeing Federer do that in the past. But I don't quite remember every seeing Nadal smash his racquet. A quick youtube search doesn't turn up anything either.

So, has he during a live broadcast match?

First, Nadal didn't break a racquet but he did throw racquts out of frustration on the chair a couple of times.

Second, throwing racquets is something I can totally understand, it shows you're human, frustrated by your game.

Nadal has done much worse things such as:

1) Constant illegal coaching with Toni (Nadal has addmited to be doing that)

2) Constant time wasting way above the time limits.

3) Constant MTOs/fake injuries

4) Retires matches when losing

5) Over the top celebrations in front of his opponent's face.

sbengte
10-15-2012, 01:51 AM
^^^ Got to agree with the poster above. When you routinely break rules, where is the need to break rackets :)

tennis_pro
10-15-2012, 02:25 AM
Nope, Nadal has never smashed his racquet on-court, whereas the other members of the top 4 have done it several times.

The reason Nadal can't smash a racquet is because it requires proper technique.

Also, his brain is fully controlled by stingy Toni.

Valdez737
08-24-2013, 11:20 PM
he has, ive seen a vid of him practiceing serves at the us open and he smash the hell ouy the racket

Sid_Vicious
08-24-2013, 11:24 PM
he has, ive seen a vid of him practiceing serves at the us open and he smash the hell ouy the racket

Vid or it didn't happen.

vive le beau jeu !
08-25-2013, 03:00 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2njzrww.jpg
he probably humbly caressed his chair with the smooth edge of his racquet to recomfort it, in case it was upset by the unsuccessful challenge.
(as a long-time fan, you must be aware that the nadal has always had a very special relation with chairs)

Bukmeikara
08-25-2013, 03:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EObHpj9sw

Its not the same but still seems a bit angry here

Bukmeikara
08-25-2013, 03:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9FnV82E0fM

Can someone please say ,did Verdasco complain about uncle Toni telling something to Rafa here ?

pound cat
08-25-2013, 04:00 AM
At a very young age Uncle Tony told him to never smash a racket. He said it was disrespectful to the game. And he never has.

objectivity
08-25-2013, 04:01 AM
i can't believe how these nadal haters can even twist this trait of nadal into something bad and evil again. all it shows is that nadal has been properly taught by his parents not to take things for granted. and not to feel entitled. so you guys probably think ichiro is crazy with the way he takes care of his baseball bats?

insane you know, the irrational hatred in this forum.

pound cat
08-25-2013, 04:04 AM
i can't believe how these nadal haters can even twist this trait of nadal into something bad and evil again. all it shows is that nadal has been properly taught by his parents not to take things for granted. and not to feel entitled. so you guys probably think ichiro is crazy with the way he takes care of his baseball bats?

It's all about posters being immature. They'll all be better in about 10 years,

Tennis_Monk
08-25-2013, 08:49 AM
A healthy nadal never smashed a racquet.

Crisstti
08-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Unbelievable, isn't it?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9FnV82E0fM

Can someone please say ,did Verdasco complain about uncle Toni telling something to Rafa here ?

No, he didn't. He just kept talking to himself or his box, about a shot going out, a Nadal serve feeling as if it's faster than it was, telling himself to keep the ball in, and when he's with the trainer he's saying he isn't taking a mto, that he's just taking the time during the change over.

jakeytennis
08-25-2013, 09:53 AM
nadal wrote in his book that he never smashes his racquet

monfed
08-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Rumour has it that Ralph smashed his racquet in the locker room after Wim 07 final. :lol:

AtomicForehand
08-25-2013, 10:10 AM

Umm?

10No-Smashes-Whatsoevers

SuperDuy
08-25-2013, 11:03 AM
I was watching a futures tournament this week and there is a wall of smashed/cracked rackets. Maybe 20-30 of them.

rofl_copter3
08-25-2013, 11:54 AM
I have never seen Nadal take out any frustration on his racket, that said I like the occasional racket smash!!! It is a quick release of frustration and I truly wish Federer would do it on occasion when having a mental meltdown...

TennisandMusic
08-25-2013, 12:04 PM

Do you ever actually watch the matches? He got mad because he said the ball was clearly out and everyone knew it including Youzhny and Hawkeye was wrong. Youzhny was shocked at his own challenge.

Nadal lost the SET at that point in a close tiebreaker, and when he went to his chair he kind of slammed the racquet onto his bag. He didn't break it and he wasn't smashing his racquet. He was basically throwing it onto his bag in extreme frustration, and he was holding it by the throat, not the handle.

Certainly not as bad as smashing a racquet on court.

Anything to try and bag on Nadal I guess. So ridiculous. :roll: