PDA

View Full Version : Wow Novak What A Racquet Smash!!

MurrayMyInspiration
10-14-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkRKd_Ujkw Perfect technique...Knees bent,Loose wrist generating whipping action and great racquet head speed. He is gradually moving his way around the hoop of the frame after every swing, planting his right foot, pivotting and swivelling onto the left foot. Good distance between his body and the contact point where the racquet meets the court. Good use of upper body rotation when releasing the racquet and lifts left leg to maintain balance.

hoodjem
10-14-2012, 03:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkRKd_Ujkw Perfect technique...Knees bent,Loose wrist generating whipping action and great racquet head speed. He is gradually moving his way around the hoop of the frame after every swing, planting his right foot, pivotting and swivelling onto the left foot. Good distance between his body and the contact point where the racquet meets the court. Good use of upper body rotation when releasing the racquet and lifts left leg to maintain balance.
Ouch! Did he get called for racquet abuse?

MurrayMyInspiration
10-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Dont know actually...Surely he did...That was destruction!

hoodjem
10-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Dont know actually...Surely he did...That was destruction!

Mega-destruction.

JamieSafe
10-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Greatest racket smashing of all time.

Rozroz
10-14-2012, 04:38 PM
i must add that besides the racquet smash, this time Novak behaved extremely nice.
his smile after the tweener and dropshot was great to see, and there was another moment when he kudosed Murray for a touch shot.
very nice to see.

smoledman
10-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Yes now Nole-***** can stop talking about the 2009 Miami Federer racquet smash. That was a complete smashing all in on stroke. Nole needed at least 4.

Prisoner of Birth
10-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Yes now Nole-***** can stop talking about the 2009 Miami Federer racquet smash. That was a complete smashing all in on stroke. Nole needed at least 4.

Rog is the GOAT of racquet-smashes.

Bergboy123
10-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Remember sometime at Wimby when Novak failed to smash his racket? :D

cho1220
10-14-2012, 06:00 PM

this is hilarious added commentary.

thumbs up to the OP. made me LOL

TheMusicLover
10-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Shows his true fantastic sportsmanship, as *********s claim, such is sure. :rolleyes:
Message: Djok isn't a better sportsman than any of his predecessors, so stop saying he is.

That said: GREAT racket smash, a score of 8/10 I think. :)

BauerAlmeida
10-14-2012, 06:06 PM
That would make Safin proud. Great job.

Murray also did it when he lost the 2nd set, although I didn't see it. Just saw the racquet destroyed after.

veroniquem
10-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Sportsmanship does not JUST consist in not breaking racquets. (otherwise the ONLY sportsman on the tour is Rafa!) IMO, acknowledging opponents' good shots during the match, not sulking as soon as something goes wrong or grumbling endlessly and being a graceful loser after a match (taking the loss with dignity) or a generous winner (acknowledging the opponent's effort) are WAY more important.
Breaking racquets is just a way to release negativity and be done with it. All players know that if they let angry (or defeatist) feelings overwhelm them, they will lose the match. Breaking a racquet is a quick and efficient way (if not economical!) to let the anger out and get a fresh start. It sure beats ruminating it and botching the match. As far as I know, all (pro) players do it, except for Rafa and I've sometimes felt that this imposition (from Toni) made Rafa's task on the court unnecessarily more complicated and more stressful (another added pressure: never lose control no matter what) for the only sake of grandmas marvelling over Rafa being "a good boy". Sometimes fast release is required in order to move on and I'd rather it happened to the racquet than to a spectator or to the ump or just letting things fester within oneself.

JustBob
10-14-2012, 06:35 PM
I think that commentator said:

"He went Kung Fu tiger claw on that racket!"

Sim
10-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Novak's smash was not classy.

Gonzalez's smash was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wehs2T5FFM&feature=related

The crowd is cheering for Gonzalez too!

Sumo
10-14-2012, 07:09 PM
I would love to follow thru on one of my racquet destroying urges. But sadly, they cost $.

veroniquem
10-14-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm afraid racquet breaking is a luxury not afforded to economically challenged amateurs like us lol. Then again, we're not facing the same kind of pressure pros have to deal with!

RF20Lennon
10-14-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm afraid racquet breaking is a luxury not afforded to economically challenged amateurs like us lol. Then again, we're not facing the same kind of pressure pros have to deal with!

Couldnt have said it better myself!! so true!! :)

Polvorin
10-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Sportsmanship does not JUST consist in not breaking racquets. (otherwise the ONLY sportsman on the tour is Rafa!) IMO, acknowledging opponents' good shots during the match, not sulking as soon as something goes wrong or grumbling endlessly and being a graceful loser after a match (taking the loss with dignity) or a generous winner (acknowledging the opponent's effort) are WAY more important.
Breaking racquets is just a way to release negativity and be done with it. All players know that if they let angry (or defeatist) feelings overwhelm them, they will lose the match. Breaking a racquet is a quick and efficient way (if not economical!) to let the anger out and get a fresh start. It sure beats ruminating it and botching the match. As far as I know, all (pro) players do it, except for Rafa and I've sometimes felt that this imposition (from Toni) made Rafa's task on the court unnecessarily more complicated and more stressful (another added pressure: never lose control no matter what) for the only sake of grandmas marvelling over Rafa being "a good boy". Sometimes fast release is required in order to move on and I'd rather it happened to the racquet than to a spectator or to the ump or just letting things fester within oneself.

This is the first time I think I've ever seen you post something logical and well reasoned! Good job!

I have no problem with this kind of racket smash either. Like they say...if you're going to do it, do it right. Then forget about it and move on.

veroniquem
10-14-2012, 08:32 PM
This is the first time I think I've ever seen you post something logical and well reasoned! Good job!

You must have missed a lot of my posts then ;-)

TennisLovaLova
10-15-2012, 01:33 AM
We need Nathaniel Near to provide us with the greatest racquet smashing compilation ever made.
1 episode of brutal display of power and rage

tata
10-15-2012, 03:44 AM
Novak is probably one of the few players that shows his emotions but still manages to pull off some really clutch play.

vive le beau jeu !
10-15-2012, 06:57 AM
"Novak Djokovic Smashes His Racquet Against Murray"... that was a promising title on youtube. ;)

still, nice destruction with a quick and well-paced succession of smashes. my only critic would be about the final throwing that was lacking a bit of conviction.

hoodjem
10-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Then again, we're not facing the same kind of pressure pros have to deal with!Or the pampering.

PSNELKE
10-15-2012, 09:38 AM
--would make Safin proud??

He smashed that thing like 5 times and it didn't even appear that destructed at all.

If Safin smashed it like Novak the racket head would fall off the grip after the second stroke. :lol:

Racquet Daddy
10-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Did he get the shock absorber back or just get a new one? If your shock absorber stays on during the smashing, you haven't done a good enough job.

Vlad_C
10-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Loved that racquet smash!!!

IMO, we should see a good racquet smash / match - if done properly, it can be very entertaining.

Baghdatis comes to mind as a true artist, and takes the top spot.
But Nole just climbed to #2 with this one... Well done!!

luishcorreia
10-15-2012, 01:35 PM
They should start defaulting players for that

Lemoned
10-15-2012, 01:40 PM
"Novak Djokovic Smashes His Racquet Against Murray"... that was a promising title on youtube. ;)

still, nice destruction with a quick and well-paced succession of smashes. my only critic would be about the final throwing that was lacking a bit of conviction.
If not, the broken racquet could have cracked the electronic signboard. Remember what happened to the Perrier bench. :(

Did he get the shock absorber back or just get a new one? If your shock absorber stays on during the smashing, you haven't done a good enough job.
Nope. http://yhoo.it/QocSe1

Clarky21
10-15-2012, 01:47 PM

I agree. These guys are acting like bratty children. The racket smashing has gotten out of hand.

kaku
10-15-2012, 02:02 PM

I liked the final throw; the little left leg lift made the throw 10 times cooler

paulorenzo
10-15-2012, 02:17 PM
even his racquet smash displays good flexibility

MurrayMyInspiration
10-15-2012, 02:42 PM
even his racquet smash displays good flexibility

Haha yeah!! I would love someone to pull a muscle smashing a racquet

Vlad_C
10-15-2012, 04:32 PM

This thread will not be complete until we get a Ned Flanders-type of churchboy to come and remind us all that the children in Africa have no tennis racquets to eat, and that Novak should have donated that racquet to charity instead of smashing it as nicely as he did.

librarysteg
10-15-2012, 04:43 PM
I liked the final throw; the little left leg lift made the throw 10 times cooler

Ha! Yes, this was my favorite part too! I love a good racket smash and don't agree with it making them look like bratty children, but that little leg kick reminded me so much of something my 4 year-old would do during a tantrum :)

norbac
10-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Hmmm broke a Swiffer Swift this weekend. Not even close to being as clean as a hit as Novak's. Perfect technique.

IsnerFan
10-15-2012, 05:17 PM
the backswing was a little busy for me, but i'm a little more traditional :)

xanctus
10-16-2012, 02:55 AM
That's quite full on, but no one beat Bagdhatis on smashing rackets during OZ open :D

Fedex
10-16-2012, 08:38 AM

10 out of 10 for hilarity.
"great racquet head speed..."
Classic post.

El Nino
10-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Racket Smashing Rankings 2012
1-Bagdhatis---30points
2- Murray--- 23points
3- Djokovic--- 20points
4- Tomic ---12 points
4- Isner---12 points

El Nino
10-16-2012, 08:49 AM
6-Harrison---8points
7-Tipsarevic---5points
8-Zvonareva--2points

sepidoel
10-16-2012, 09:27 AM

How about Murray's technique? AFAIK he did that twice in the tournament (against Djokovic and Dolgopolov).