PDA

View Full Version : YT IG Extreme Midplus - Poor Man's Pure Drive?

TripleB
10-14-2012, 02:46 PM
For anyone who has tried the Head YouTek IG Extreme Midplus (currently $99), would you say that it can be accurately labeled a "Poor Man's Pure Drive"?

Just wondering how similarly (IYO) this racquet plays to the Babolat Pure Drive (either the Cortex or GT versions).

Thanks for any input.

TripleB

JackB1
10-14-2012, 07:35 PM
it IS very similar, but the new 2.0 Extreme MP is worth the extra $.
Such a big improvement.

ollinger
10-15-2012, 06:15 AM
^^ TripB may be tapped out from those Wilson Pro Opens.

jjs891
10-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Hey Jack,

Is it just the better comfort for 2.0 or better playing?

If so, could you explain a bit? Thanks.

xeropwnage
10-16-2012, 05:25 AM
it IS very similar, but the new 2.0 Extreme MP is worth the extra $.
Such a big improvement.

You say the new 2.0 Extreme is worth the extra money, but for a player like me (I'd rank myself maybe a 3.0-3.5), would the new grommet technology be worth the difference in cost between the two Extreme models?

I'm a mediocre player, but I don't really notice the finer details such as drops in string tensions or racquet stiffness - loosely speaking, they all kinda feel the same to me. I usually only play for 1-2 hours at a time, so not long enough to really notice any discomfort due to the racquet. I also hate to admit it but being the amateur I am, one of the factors I look at when purchasing a new racquet is aesthetic appeal, and I don't really like the neon-ish color of the 2.0. I only ask because the recent price drop of the original IG Extreme has me seriously considering an upgrade.

TripleB
10-16-2012, 02:22 PM
^^ TripB may be tapped out from those Wilson Pro Opens.

Yea...right now struggling to find the extra power I'm wanting while retaining the crisp feel I like. Still working on the string set up in the Pro Opens.

TripleB

Drew24
10-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm using the older Youtek Extreme MP and after demo-ing the IG, i'm considering buying it after seeing the price as well. I felt like the IG was more crisp and a tad bit better with groundstrokes. Then again, this is my opinion and probably me falling for the IG technology but who knows. I wouldn't say it's a poor man's pure drive since I tried out the pure drive..I sprayed my shots everywhere with the PD. imo, the extreme gives more spin! Maybe you should demo it though since it's all up to how the racket feels in your hands and such.

Torres
10-17-2012, 02:20 AM
If the review is anything to go by it sounds like a rich man's Pure Drive as according to TW it bests it in all departments.....

TripleB
10-17-2012, 10:55 AM
If the review is anything to go by it sounds like a rich man's Pure Drive as according to TW it bests it in all departments.....

The YT IG Extreme or the 2.0? I couldn't find a TW review on the $99 model.

TripleB

Power Player
10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Yea...right now struggling to find the extra power I'm wanting while retaining the crisp feel I like. Still working on the string set up in the Pro Opens.

TripleB

How much power do you need? The pro opens are very powerful. Just stay with that racquet and develop your timing so you are hitting out in front more often. Out in front means more power. I guarantee you are late and need to work on prep and footwork if you need more power than a pro open.

TripleB
10-17-2012, 02:43 PM
How much power do you need? The pro opens are very powerful. Just stay with that racquet and develop your timing so you are hitting out in front more often. Out in front means more power. I guarantee you are late and need to work on prep and footwork if you need more power than a pro open.

You are probably right concerning being out in front more and having better footwork. I was a bit under the weather and fatigued last time out.

I am still struggling with my serve with this racquet...probably averaging 7 to 9 double faults in each of my last 2 matches. The control on the serves with the Pro Open isn't near what I get on groundstrokes. I just can't seem to go after the kicker with confidence like I can with my Pure Drive Cortex.

Thanks for your input.

TripleB

Fed Kennedy
10-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Its got horrid feel compared to other extremes...the dullard of the family

TripleB
10-17-2012, 04:14 PM
...the dullard of the family

Wow...that doesn't sound very promising.

TripleB

pheonix6579
10-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Yea I have to agree with FedK on this one. From my hit with them there is TONS of feel there, just not the type of feel that you want. I would say compared with the PD Cortex, its slightly harsher in the feel department.

TripleB
10-18-2012, 04:20 AM
From my hit with them there is TONS of feel there, just not the type of feel that you want. I would say compared with the PD Cortex, its slightly harsher in the feel department.

So I would say you talking about a 'jarring' feel to it?

For me the Pure Drive Cortex doesn't have a very harsh feel at all...I think it to be more 'crisp' than anything else. I prefer a crisp (not harsh) feel to my racquets...I think that may be one reason I'm currently struggling with the Pro Opens. If I drop the tension low enough (in the 40s with a poly/syn hybrid) to where I get the power I like, then the crisp feel is pretty much gone and I struggle a bit knowing exactly where the ball is on the strings.

Thanks for everyone's input.

TripleB

pheonix6579
10-18-2012, 05:47 AM
jarring isn't exactly the word I would use. But the feel isn't the PD crisp that you may be used to. Its more awkward than anything, but enough that it caused a bit of arm pain for me, which is something my PD really never did.