PDA

View Full Version : The future of mens tennis?

cho1220
10-14-2012, 04:50 PM
I know it is still early, but tennis is becoming a sport for younger generations rather quickly...i.e Nadal.

Who is going to fill the gap, or contend with murray and djokovic and federer to a lesser extent (maybe, hard to say..).

I think Raonic is going to crack the top 10 soon and move in towards the top five.

Who else is there? Del Potro..shame he ever got hurt. Is it possible Nishikori is for real?

Raonic became my favorite player after his breakout run at the 2011 Australian.

What do you guys think?

SoBad
10-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Nishikori is a lock on some slams, but Berankis and Nishioka could present problems.

Rozroz
10-14-2012, 04:59 PM
i just wish Goffin will man up quickly and start climbing.
imo he's the best new brilliant talent that might really shine.

TheMusicLover
10-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Near to empty stadiums, as soon as Fedal have retired.
Now THAT's the future of men's tennis. Hope it won't be happening for quite a while to come.

Seriously, when watching the abomination of both Murray and Djokovic misbehaving themselves today, who'd be the top dogs for the future, one can only CRY about Fedal leaving the scene.
Damn.

Max G.
10-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Other way around. Tennis is getting older. Murray, Djokovic - they're both 25. There's nobody under 25 who's even looks like they might make a run at a slam.

SoBad
10-14-2012, 05:17 PM
ATP is a glorified mobile retirement home with an improved sports curriculum, at this point.

KyleM
10-14-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm Canadian, so yes Raonic is one of my faves. His serve is incredible and whenever his grounstokes seem to fail him, his serve keeps him in it. I find that he is really caught up about being #1 in Canada and needs to focus on pushing his way up in the world standings but I'm not saying he isn't trying or anything, he has lots of fight. He should definitely sit comfortably In the top ten in the coming years and maybe a couple slams on hard courts in the future.

90's Clay
10-14-2012, 05:37 PM
There is a serious lack of talent, lack of EVERYTHING with the new guys coming up the ranks. .. .That future of men's tennis is bleak, and hopeless. Everyone outside the top 4 is utter TRASH with absolutely no ability to win anything..

When the top 4 are gone, this will make the early 00s look like the golden age of tennis

Evan77
10-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Near to empty stadiums, as soon as Fedal have retired.
Now THAT's the future of men's tennis. Hope it won't be happening for quite a while to come.

Seriously, when watching the abomination of both Murray and Djokovic misbehaving themselves today, who'd be the top dogs for the future, one can only CRY about Fedal leaving the scene.
Damn.
Fed/Nudall = boring. ****/McTooth so much more fun to watch. no future in men tennis, not for a while. we are stuck with what we have. Stadiums are not empty btw. pretty decent attendance in semis/finals. the only problem is that if you don't have top4, most casual tennis fans are not interested, it's too sad. The crowd for Nole/Murray match was great.

Mustard
10-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Federer and Nadal have raised the bar ridiculously high, and very few players have risen to the challenge. I think there could be a bit of a letdown once they're gone, but eventually, new stars will come through and shine.

tennisplayer1993
10-14-2012, 06:17 PM
i honestly see raonic being the future meaning a top 10 player and maybe a few grand slam winner. after nadal and federer retire, i will say the big dogs will be murray and djokovic. Delpo will also be a top 5 player I believe if he can stay healthy.

Evan77
10-14-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm Canadian, so yes Raonic is one of my faves. His serve is incredible and whenever his grounstokes seem to fail him, his serve keeps him in it. I find that he is really caught up about being #1 in Canada and needs to focus on pushing his way up in the world standings but I'm not saying he isn't trying or anything, he has lots of fight. He should definitely sit comfortably In the top ten in the coming years and maybe a couple slams on hard courts in the future.
Please no Canadian can be a tennis fan. I happen to be white trashy Canadian and I know it's not normal at all to like tennis in Canada, but my shrink can't explain it to me. Every time I hear 'hockey' I have to throw up. just wanted to say hello :).

didn't Canada win that war against the USA? I'm still so proud to be Canadian and shop at Walmart.

RF20Lennon
10-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Please no Canadian can be a tennis fan. I happen to be white trashy Canadian and I know it's not normal at all to like tennis in Canada, but my shrink can't explain it to me. Every time I hear 'hockey' I have to throw up. just wanted to say hello :).

didn't Canada win that war against the USA? I'm still so proud to be Canadian and shop at Walmart.

what has gone wrong with poor old Evan :(

Evan77
10-14-2012, 06:46 PM
what has gone wrong with poor old Evan :(
good question. thank you. need more money, new job... new gf, new car. I feel so needy, everything is wrong my friend in my life. I hate Murray right now. I hate my self too. Is it so wrong if I bs on this board? Well I feel like this I like being evil to some Rog fans, but it's really not personal :).

Clarky21
10-14-2012, 06:55 PM
good question. thank you. need more money, new job... new gf, new car. I feel so needy, everything is wrong my friend in my life. I hate Murray right now. I hate my self too. Is it so wrong if I bs on this board? Well I feel like this I like being evil to some Rog fans, but it's really not personal :).

Get thee to a Shrink asap. Lol.

Evan77
10-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Get thee to a Shrink asap. Lol.
even shrinks will not answer my calls. Clarky, all I have is you right now. Don't let me down.

Rafa is da best tennis playa ever. If we agree on this, could I have a warm hug?
:). I hope your hair is spiky as Nole's, please do not use any conditioners. I love natural hair.

KyleM
10-14-2012, 07:32 PM

Lol I'm actually a huge hockey fan but ever since I got into tennis it's kind of taken it's place. Hockey will always be in my blood though. It's funny when I tell people at school that I play tennis and they're like what?? I have met a few people that are into it like me though.

veroniquem
10-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Right now, the future seems bleak: no teenage prodigy in sight. But maybe they'll pop up soon... Either that or we're in for many more years of today's fab 4 ruling the tour... which all things considered would not be so tragic :)

KyleM
10-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Unrelated to the mens circuit but Genie Bouchard is gonna be Canada's first slam winner on the pro tour I just know it!! She's still so young and already showing unreal potential with a junior Wimbledon under belt. I'm also not afraid to admit that I have a huge crush on her hahah, we are the same age so it's not weird or anything..

KyleM
10-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Preview

Don't worry guys I will take federer place one day lol I'm In the process of duplicating his techniques, I even look like him a bit. So far it's not going great but I'm working on it!! A kid can dream right? Lol sorry if I'm posting stuff nonstop, I'm new and on a roll ;)

Steve0904
10-14-2012, 08:21 PM

I'm proud to be Canadian too buddy! You're not alone! I also love shopping at Walmart.

Clarky21
10-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Right now, the future seems bleak: no teenage prodigy in sight. But maybe they'll pop up soon... Either that or we're in for many more years of today's fab 4 ruling the tour... which all things considered would not be so tragic :)

There is no fab 4. It's a 3 way race that does not include Nadal.

And I hope sooner or later someone new pops up. I have noone to root for anymore and need a new favorite.

No1e
10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
There is a serious lack of talent, lack of EVERYTHING with the new guys coming up the ranks. .. .That future of men's tennis is bleak, and hopeless. Everyone outside the top 4 is utter TRASH with absolutely no ability to win anything..

When the top 4 are gone, this will make the early 00s look like the golden age of tennis

This is exactly the reason why I think Nole will keep winning slams even if reaching 30. I hope 17 is not an untouchable number, at least for Nole.

DMan
10-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I know it is still early, but tennis is becoming a sport for younger generations rather quickly...i.e Nadal.

Tell that to world #1 Roger Federer, age 31. Or the Bryan Brothers, age 33.

Who is going to fill the gap, or contend with murray and djokovic and federer to a lesser extent (maybe, hard to say..).
Age isn't the determining factor.

I think Raonic is going to crack the top 10 soon and move in towards the top five.
I used to think so. But he needs to man up a bit. Still lacks the extra gear, physically and especially mentally to be a true contender at majors.

Who else is there? Del Potro..shame he ever got hurt.
Don't count him out just yet.
Is it possible Nishikori is for real? Real for what? Contending with the top guys? Puh-lease! Can you spell: O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D!

cho1220
10-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Tell that to world #1 Roger Federer, age 31. Or the Bryan Brothers, age 33.

Age isn't the determining factor.

I used to think so. But he needs to man up a bit. Still lacks the extra gear, physically and especially mentally to be a true contender at majors.

Don't count him out just yet.
Real for what? Contending with the top guys? Puh-lease! Can you spell: O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D!

i don't think you get the point of this.

federer has been losing consistently the past few years.

age IS a determining factor. the bryan brothers is your example? LOL. they're playing DOUBLES. plus all the [extreme] talent is in SINGLES.

I don't count del potro out. I gained mad respect for him during his US open run, I want him to come back. That's why he was one of the three players I listed. I'm not counting him out, I'm saying it was a SHAME he got hurt.

Jeez.

nishikori is 22 dude. saying a 22 year old that just won tokyo and has already had some success in grand slams is overrated? Wasn't federer around that age when he started winning?

as i recall, federer was younger when he was steamrolling the competition.

Are you just a undergrad that failed the LSAT? I don't understand why you even bother posting if you aren't even addressing the question, just bashing my point of view.

and Raonic is 21 bro. your contradictions are insane.

Oh yeah...BRB asking the number 1 player how it is to be old.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/YTD-Singles.aspx

Yeah, Djokovic looked at me weird when I asked him about being old

kalyan4fedever
10-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Federer and nadal can beat any upcoming player or existing players or previous gen players in their prime on a good day.

Steve0904
10-15-2012, 07:04 AM
i don't think you get the point of this.

federer has been losing consistently the past few years.

age IS a determining factor. the bryan brothers is your example? LOL. they're playing DOUBLES. plus all the [extreme] talent is in SINGLES.

I don't count del potro out. I gained mad respect for him during his US open run, I want him to come back. That's why he was one of the three players I listed. I'm not counting him out, I'm saying it was a SHAME he got hurt.

Jeez.

nishikori is 22 dude. saying a 22 year old that just won tokyo and has already had some success in grand slams is overrated? Wasn't federer around that age when he started winning?

as i recall, federer was younger when he was steamrolling the competition.

Are you just a undergrad that failed the LSAT? I don't understand why you even bother posting if you aren't even addressing the question, just bashing my point of view.

and Raonic is 21 bro. your contradictions are insane.

Oh yeah...BRB asking the number 1 player how it is to be old.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/YTD-Singles.aspx

Yeah, Djokovic looked at me weird when I asked him about being old

Oh yeah, Federer's really been losing consistently. I mean 64-9 is just terrible after all, and 64-12? I mean maybe he should retire.

About Delpo, you're just taking a bleak outlook. You said it was a shame he got hurt, and I agree, but you kind of implied that he would no longer be competition in the coming years because of the way you said it.

And he's right about Nishikori. He just won a 500, it is by no means an indicator of slam success, and Federer had a GS when he was 22. Far cry from a 500 series in your home country. Nishikori won't be steamrolling any competition. Get real!

Yes Raonic is 21, but even as a Canadian I don't think he'll win a slam. He does lack the movement, and the killer instinct in some ways.

cho1220
10-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Federer and nadal can beat any upcoming player or existing players or previous gen players in their prime on a good day.

i know nadal isn't old....i mean his body is old..if that makes sense.

nadal is still definitely in the "prime of his career" in terms of age, but in terms of health, hes 40

cho1220
10-15-2012, 07:16 AM
Oh yeah, Federer's really been losing consistently. I mean 64-9 is just terrible after all, and 64-12? I mean maybe he should retire.

About Delpo, you're just taking a bleak outlook. You said it was a shame he got hurt, and I agree, but you kind of implied that he would no longer be competition in the coming years because of the way you said it.

And he's right about Nishikori. He just won a 500, it is by no means an indicator of slam success, and Federer had a GS when he was 22. Far cry from a 500 series in your home country. Nishikori won't be steamrolling any competition. Get real!

Yes Raonic is 21, but even as a Canadian I don't think he'll win a slam. He does lack the movement, and the killer instinct in some ways.

i didn't say federer shouldn't retire...

the point of this thread was the future of the ATP.

ok so nishikori isn't the future, raonic is trash..so if federer retires, gets hurt, or is just outplayed only djokovic and murray will win slams now? Nadal better get some tips from Neil Armstrong real quick.

I didn't mean to mention Del Potro wasn't going to be competition. I was sad (disappointed?) that he was out for a year.

what is your point?

so what is the future of the ATP?

Maybe this thread will just be to say..mark my words when Raonic starts making semis in grand slams on a regular basis.

Or maybe I'm just bias because he serves and volleys and has a fun game to watch..?

Here is a (the?) hypothetical. Fed, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic are all out. Who are the dominant players that would replace them?

Edit 2: relatively speaking, federer's numbers are terrible if you compare them to his "golden years"

Steve0904
10-15-2012, 07:18 AM
This is exactly the reason why I think Nole will keep winning slams even if reaching 30. I hope 17 is not an untouchable number, at least for Nole.

Yes, but the top 4 includes Novak. I highly doubt Novak will be winning slams at 30 or above given the fact that he slides on HC as much as does. His style is only slightly easier on the body than Nadal's is IMHO. He just hasn't had as many years like 2011 as Nadal has had in general. Even if Novak averages 2 slams for the next 3 years that only ties him with Nadal, and by that time he'll be 28. Another 6 from that point on seems highly unlikely, and Federer is still playing.

Steve0904
10-15-2012, 07:29 AM
i didn't say federer shouldn't retire...

the point of this thread was the future of the ATP.

ok so nishikori isn't the future, raonic is trash, federer is still god, djokovic and murray are somewhere in-between nishikori and raonic and federer.

what is your point?

so what is the future of the ATP?

I didn't mean to mention he wasn't going to be competition. I was sad (disappointed?) that he was out for a year.

Maybe this thread will just be to say..mark my words when Raonic starts making semis in grand slams on a regular basis.

Or maybe I'm just bias because he serves and volleys and has a fun game to watch..?

And I didn't say that you said he should retire. I was simply pointing out that he's hardly "losing consistently."

I also didn't say Raonic was trash. I said I don't think he'll win a slam. Far from trash considering there are a lot of players that have good careers and never win a slam. Raonic also does not S&V. I could say a lot of things about this, but I'll leave it alone.

You may be right about the future of the ATP. Personally, I agree that there is likely to be a bit of a hole (or a gaping one) left when all these guys are gone, but it's a bit early to tell completely I think. My point is that you could be right about the future, but some of your misconceptions about certain things are kind of glaring.

cho1220
10-15-2012, 08:31 AM
And I didn't say that you said he should retire. I was simply pointing out that he's hardly "losing consistently."

I also didn't say Raonic was trash. I said I don't think he'll win a slam. Far from trash considering there are a lot of players that have good careers and never win a slam. Raonic also does not S&V. I could say a lot of things about this, but I'll leave it alone.

You may be right about the future of the ATP. Personally, I agree that there is likely to be a bit of a hole (or a gaping one) left when all these guys are gone, but it's a bit early to tell completely I think. My point is that you could be right about the future, but some of your misconceptions about certain things are kind of glaring.

you are right. i am speaking far too loud for my knowledge of tennis. from what i've seen, Raonic seems to serve and volley more than most, while also having killer ground strokes.

i hope he doesn't burn out.

Hell, Raonic could just as likely win a slam as fed did by winning the french, arguably because of soderling.

Sorry, a lot of my statements are ignant. i've only been able to watch a few matches here and there since I stopped playing in high school. i've just been trying to pick apart the arguments being made w/o any facts or rebuttles...

Though, I am still anxious to see what happens when the elite top 4 becomes the [semi elite relative to the last 2-3 years] elite top 10? possibly?

I am completely bias towards how Raonic plays. I think he has an extremely versatile game and can compete at the highest level (is this a duh?).

I think he has better groundstrokes and moves better than Isner. While Isner may have a faster servec, Raonic, especially at 21 (albeit close to 22), has a very reliable service game.

Or maybe it's just because he is Canadian.

I root for North America and Asian players...half irish half korean..influences my biases...what can ya do

Edit: compare fed's consistency today versus five years ago. The Theory of Relativity, my friend.

KyleM
10-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Isner has a horrible rally game, if you can manage to survive his one two punch service game, you won't have to worry about anything else.

Sabratha
10-17-2012, 11:29 AM
He's 25 with five slams, he's not reaching 17.