PDA

View Full Version : Different racquets for different times of day/own feel

Reza
02-25-2004, 05:29 AM
Does anyone here use a different racquet based upon the time of day they are playing, or how "on" or off they are that day? I have two different racquets that I use: rd7 and ti.rad mp, and I have noticed that often when I play at 6:30 in the AM, before work, I just can never get going, get my groove of power and control with the rd7, so I use the ti.rad (with about an ounce added to the head), but in the afternoon, when I am feeling more awake and am more loose, the rd7 is so much superior to the ti.rad. Additionally, I will sometimes switch racquets if I am really on or off; that is, if I am playing well, I will use a very demanding stick such as the rd7 or something like it, and if I am off, I will go back to the ti.rad mp. However, I think switching racquets when you are just "off" creates a mental advantage by not only convincing yourself that you need a fresh start, but a totally different stick will force you to think about stroke mechanics and fundamentals, so that probably brings more improvement than anything else. Does anyone else have this experience, belief, or thoughts on the issue?

Cypo
02-25-2004, 06:33 AM
I know what you mean, although I've only had a similiar experience in a match once when a string broke. I thought I played better all of a suddden because the second racquet was unfamiliar and I was forced to concentrate on it and the basics. But it was a while ago now.

The other time was last Monday when I was just hitting terribly. I borrowed my trainer's LM Radical and all of a sudden I was hitting great.

You might be on to something... It's worth trying out.

@wright
02-25-2004, 06:46 AM
I have 4 of the same racquet, but they are yonex and 2 are 4 5/8 and 2 4 1/2, so the 5/8 weigh a tiny bit more, which is nice. I'll use the different weights depending how I'm hitting that day, and they difference is negligible enough where I can switch easily after a string break if I need to.

tennisdad
02-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Different racquets, no. Same racquets with different string tension yes. I have 3 of them, usually 2 strung at the same tension and a 3rd strung about 3lbs lower and/or softer string. I'll go to the 3rd racquet if my arm is tired (ej. playing the day after playing a long match).