PDA

View Full Version : Volkl V1 for advanced players?

lstewart
10-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Can anyone give me their thoughts for the different variations of the Volkl V1 as a frame that can be used effectively for a 4.5 male player that likes to swing away? I've been using the Becker London for a couple of years, and elbow / wrist problems have kept me from using stiff frames like the Pure Drive. I've read lots of good comments about the various V1's, but the light weight and power level leaves me with concerns. Anyone using it that swings with power and still able to hit with consistancy? Sounds like it is very easy on the arm, in spite of the stiffness level.

ollinger
10-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Have hit with three iterations of the V1, always felt there was a little too much pop and not enough mass for big hitters.

sureshs
10-15-2012, 08:39 AM
I hit briefly with another guy's BB's latest version of V1, Sportster or something like that, and it was EXTREMELY comfortable. They say it is the Sensor Handle system, but it was more comfortable than the original V1 which I used to own. The strokes were also coming out solid, so I was left thinking why I use a heavier frame when this seems to do the job. The sweetspot is also huge.

bad_call
10-15-2012, 09:06 AM
briefly hit with V1. too much trampoline and vague shot making for this player.

lstewart
10-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Interesting about the Becker Sportster being a similar frame. I had not looked at it as an option. It's a little more weight and not as stiff, so might be an interesting option to look at. I've got demos of the Volkl V1 Classic and Power Bridge V1 on the way. Generally I would not mind playing with something with a little more pop if I could control it, did not create more arm issues, and felt like there is enough weight to not get pushed around.

goherd27
10-15-2012, 10:50 AM
I am not currently playing with the Organix V1 MP but did use it a lot during the last season. I felt it had a good bit of pop, nice control, and good access to spin but lacked the stability for a big hitter that the V1 Classic provided.

Adding a bit of lead to the XV1 helped with stability issues.

I am currently playing with a much heavier frame than either.

slice bh compliment
10-15-2012, 11:03 AM
It is a little light, but I know two very strong players who love this stick (and it's variants).

One is a 5.0 guy (recently came down from open) who played college tennis with me in the late 80s. Baseliner with a 2 hander. Loves this thing. It has helped him hang with the hard-hitting young guys. Fair amount of lead in the handle.

The other is a 5.5 woman who plays nationals and the like. Former D1 player, too, and she played the circuit in the late 80s. Had some elbow problems when she used some stiff Wilsons and Princes 15 years ago. Switched to the old V1 Classic and has used whatever similar updated frames they make ever since. Not customized. She is a serve and volleyer who plays with a lot of touch. She feels it gives her power, but it is soft like a Prince Woodie (her words).

I drill with her sometimes. She plays mostly singles, but she can play dubs at a high level, too. Her newest ones come in brown (Organics line). I with they made my sticks in brown (Babolat Storm Tour).

Hi I'm Ray
10-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Can anyone give me their thoughts for the different variations of the Volkl V1 as a frame that can be used effectively for a 4.5 male player that likes to swing away? I've been using the Becker London for a couple of years, and elbow / wrist problems have kept me from using stiff frames like the Pure Drive. I've read lots of good comments about the various V1's, but the light weight and power level leaves me with concerns. Anyone using it that swings with power and still able to hit with consistancy? Sounds like it is very easy on the arm, in spite of the stiffness level.

I've tried the Classic V1 MP, Organix V1 mp, and BB V1 from 2 generations ago. The BB had a different response than the other two, with more flex, spin, and a higher trajectory - I wonder if the newer BB V1's are similar to this. The Volkl V1's felt stiffer and had a similar level of pop to the PD, but were very comfortable. I didn't find any trouble controlling the power of the V1's, there are plenty of advanced players and big hitters using the PD/PDR. The Classic felt more solid and maybe a bit more muted than the Organix, but of the three I like the Organix version the most. They all felt a little light and needed some lead tape.

scotus
10-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Add 1-2 oz to the handle and it will play closer to a player's frame.

sureshs
10-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Interesting about the Becker Sportster being a similar frame. I had not looked at it as an option. It's a little more weight and not as stiff, so might be an interesting option to look at. I've got demos of the Volkl V1 Classic and Power Bridge V1 on the way. Generally I would not mind playing with something with a little more pop if I could control it, did not create more arm issues, and felt like there is enough weight to not get pushed around.

Then you should certainly demo it. Frankly, I think it is the racket for most club players.

lstewart
10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Dang.... wish I would have been aware of the Sportster before ordering the demos. Will see how the V1 Classic and PB V1 suit my game, and then decide about trying the Sportster. With them selling for $69.95, I've had to really resist ordering one today and just hoping it would suit me. Seems like it would be a great option at the price, assuming it still has enough of the arm friendly traits everyone mentions about the various Volkl V1 frames.

mctennis
10-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Two teaching pros use the V1 Classic at my club. The other female teaching pro had one but I'm not sure if she just had it to use or demo from one of the male teaching pro last week. They also play in tournaments using the Volkl V1.

lstewart
10-16-2012, 04:53 AM
I received the V1 Classic and Powerbridge V1 demos and hit them last night. Wanted to love them based upon picking them up, but they did not fit my game. The Classic did not work at all. I could hit okay with the PB V1, especially when taking big swings, but it just felt too light and stiff on slices, blocked returns, etc. Also felt too light serving. I think I would probably like it if it weighed another 1 to 1.5 ounces. Ended up hitting a Volkl Organix 8 demo toward the end and liked it much better. Just not sure my elbow / wrist would hold up to that frame, as it is also pretty stiff. Want to take a look at the Becker Sportster, since it is a little heavier and more flexiable than the V1's.

sureshs
10-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Over the years, lighter frames which used to lack stability and comfort have become much more solid. See if you like the Sportster.

Tim
10-16-2012, 05:23 AM
I've played both the the V1 Catapult and the v10 cat at the 4.5 level coming from a PC 600 and though I like them both for my game they definitely need a little tuning with lead to up the weight and stability. I'm currently playing the V10 and its base weight is 11.1 and I've got a couple grams at 3 and 9 with corresponding weight added to the top of the handle so If you really wanted to give the V1 a shot I'd start with the classic frame and add an once of weight in a neutral location( I believe that's the throat but check some of the threads on weighting for exact method) then try adding a bit more at 3 and 9 (and top of handle etc) and see how it plays.

Nostradamus
10-16-2012, 05:26 AM
If Sioban and Brittany who are open level players that are pretty close to WTA professional in level can play with it and love it, then it can definitly be effective for a guy playing at 4.5 level.

Now, you may have to experiment with little bit of lead in the head at 3 and 9 oclock position and maybe bit more lead at the handle of the racket as well. If you do so, you will find the power very much controllable and find the racket very solid weapon. and also find that you can serve big and effective at will.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/VOV1M/VOV1Mreview.html

lstewart
10-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Yeah, I think I would need to add weight to make the V1 work for me. Going to try the Becker Sportster, since it already is a little heavier, and not as stiff. Hopefully it will be a little closer to what feels "right" to me, so won't take as much modification. They are almost giving them away right now!

Tim
10-16-2012, 09:16 AM
I hadn't looked at the specs for the sportster, but it does look pretty good. I'll be interested to know what you think of it as the price is very tempting, hehe.

lstewart
10-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Tim, I'll post my thoughts after it arrives and i have a chance to check it out.

lstewart
10-18-2012, 04:59 AM
Waiting on the Becker Sportster I ordered to arrive, but still have the V1 demos. After 2 days hitting with the Volkl 8 300 strung tight with poly my wrist was killing me, so pulled out the Power Bridge V1 for the second set. Decided to try placing the vibration dampner in the top of the frame center just to see if it would make the racket have a little more swing weight. Actually made a difference! Not sure how many grams a dampner weighs, but the frame did feel more solid and I was hitting pretty well with it. Just shows what others have been saying, that the V1 can be tuned to fit your game with weighting. Looking forward to getting the Sportster and working with it.

sureshs
10-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Dampener would have not changed the SW to any perceptible degree. It could have reduced some string vibrations.

lstewart
10-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Recevied the Becker Sportster last night and took it out. As discussed, it is a similar frame to to the V1's. Was strung with all poly, so that was a factor. Thought it was okay, but did not love it. Felt like it had more power than the V1's, so hard groundstrokes had a tendency to sail. Someone had said the launch angle seemed higher on the Sportster, which makes sense. Played pretty well with it, so worth some adjustments. Restrung the crosses with multi later in the evening and will check it out with this hybrid set-up. Probably will then experiement with some weighting, but did not want to confuse weight change effects with string effects. At this point I would say I probably liked the PB MP V1 better.

sureshs
10-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Recevied the Becker Sportster last night and took it out. As discussed, it is a similar frame to to the V1's. Was strung with all poly, so that was a factor. Thought it was okay, but did not love it. Felt like it had more power than the V1's, so hard groundstrokes had a tendency to sail. Someone had said the launch angle seemed higher on the Sportster, which makes sense. Played pretty well with it, so worth some adjustments. Restrung the crosses with multi later in the evening and will check it out with this hybrid set-up. Probably will then experiement with some weighting, but did not want to confuse weight change effects with string effects. At this point I would say I probably liked the PB MP V1 better.

Are you allowed to change strings on a TW demo?

lstewart
10-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Sureshs, I bought the Sportster, so that's not an issue. I do think people restring demos' though because of the 20 or do I've tried from TW, I don't think I've ever had 2 that were anywhere close in strings or tension. I've seen them all the way from crazy loose kevlar to really tight poly, and everything in between. That's the biggest issue to me with demos, since the strings are often something pretty different than what you would expect.

sureshs
10-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Sureshs, I bought the Sportster, so that's not an issue. I do think people restring demos' though because of the 20 or do I've tried from TW, I don't think I've ever had 2 that were anywhere close in strings or tension. I've seen them all the way from crazy loose kevlar to really tight poly, and everything in between. That's the biggest issue to me with demos, since the strings are often something pretty different than what you would expect.

Oh so you bought it! I thought you said you wished you had bought it and was going to demo. So you did make the commitment.

Hominator
10-19-2012, 08:43 AM

The 2012 Pure Drives are far more comfortable than previous versions, in my opinion. I've had several bouts of TE, but the 2012 Pure Drives do not bother my arm in the least.

lstewart
10-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks Hominator. My son has one 2012 Pure Drive, but i have not hit it. Tried the GT model a couple of months when it came out and my elbow was shredded Was out for a few months trying to recover. Yes Suresh, made the comment about wishing I would have tried the Sportster, and then went ahead and picked one of the used one's up from TW for $50.

Tim
10-19-2012, 05:33 PM
I've always played the V1's with either full gut or soft multi's red X-one biphase plays really nicely in them, you might want to try a full bed of multi.