PDA

View Full Version : Qualification rules YEC

joeri888
10-15-2012, 08:56 AM
What's the exact rule? I think the top 8 usually qualify, but if someone outside the top 8 wins a Slam, he has certain lower limits to qualify? Like Marray and the other Wimby doubles champ? And didn't Johansson qualify when he won AO without being top 8?

I wonder what the exact rules are.

Max G.
10-15-2012, 01:43 PM
I believe the rule right now is that the top 8 in the race qualify.

It used to be that all four Grand Slam champions would qualify, as long as they were in the top 20. It rarely mattered but it did sometimes, I think the year Ivanisevic won Wimbledon he qualified despite not being in the top 8.

Def
10-15-2012, 01:43 PM
What's the exact rule? I think the top 8 usually qualify, but if someone outside the top 8 wins a Slam, he has certain lower limits to qualify? Like Marray and the other Wimby doubles champ? And didn't Johansson qualify when he won AO without being top 8?

I wonder what the exact rules are.

from what I understand, it is the top 8 people, point wise since the beginning of the year, regardless of how they won their points. So theoretically, a person could win a major and then not gain any other points for the rest of the year. They would have 2000 points and may not qualify for the WTF.

Def
10-15-2012, 01:45 PM
I believe the rule right now is that the top 8 in the race qualify.

It used to be that all four Grand Slam champions would qualify, as long as they were in the top 20. It rarely mattered but it did sometimes, I think the year Ivanisevic won Wimbledon he qualified despite not being in the top 8.

This is true, he was ranked #12 in the rankings, but played the WTF and lost in the RR stage.

joeri888
10-22-2012, 02:28 AM
Yes, and in doubles this year, Marray and his partner qualified despite being some points short still. I wonder why this is. Anyone knows?

sdont
10-22-2012, 02:33 AM
Yes, and in doubles this year, Marray and his partner qualified despite being some points short still. I wonder why this is. Anyone knows?

The slam champ rule is still in effect from what I remember.

Edit
From the rulebook:
"1) Selection List. The selection list for the event shall be:
a) The top seven (7) players in the South African Airways ATP Rankings as of the Monday after the last ATP World Tour tournament of the calendar year; followed by
b) Up to two (2) Grand Slam winners of that year, in order of their positions, positioned between eight (8 ) and twenty (20) in the South African Airways ATP Rankings as of that Monday; followed by
c) Players positioned eight (8 ) and below in the South African Airways ATP Rankings as of that Monday."

tacou
10-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Sucks Tommy Haas never got to play came so close twice. Stupid Goran.

sbengte
10-22-2012, 05:32 AM
Sucks Tommy Haas never got to play came so close twice. Stupid Goran.

Wasn't Haas ranked #2 at one point in time ? Guess he fell out of the top 8 by end of that year.

tacou
10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
He was ranked #8 at the end of the year when Goran won, stealing his spot. In 2006 he needed to win Paris to qualify but lost in the semis.

Haas actually reached number 2 in September of 2002 and held it until late October. In 5 weeks from late October to early November he went: 2, 3, 9, 7, 10. I don't know what happened, even if he lost in the first round of a Masters event, dropping that quick must have meant a very narrow ranking gap in the top 10. I'll look into it

tacou
10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Just looked...when Haas was number 2 in the world he was only 900 points ahead of world #10 Carlos Moya, and not much further ahead than Roddick and Jiri Novak. Pretty crazy rankings around that time.

joeri888
10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
He was ranked #8 at the end of the year when Goran one, stealing his spot. In 2006 he needed to win Paris to qualify but lost in the semis.

Haas actually reached number 2 in September of 2002 and held it until late October. In 5 weeks from late October to early November he went: 2, 3, 9, 7, 10. I don't know what happened, even if he lost in the first round of a Masters event, dropping that quick must have meant a very narrow ranking gap in the top 10. I'll look into it

He probably had an awesome end to 2001 then.