PDA

View Full Version : Head IG Prestige MP Similar to PT280/630?

El Zed
10-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi, all - pretty self-explanatory question - Is the current Prestige MP close enough to the PT280/630 to where experience with the latter should provide a strong/accurate sense of the qualities of the former? Is the current MP bringing anything to the table that the Pro Tours do not?

Thanks much.

Marcus
10-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Nowhere near as flexible but closer to the 630 heritage than the previous 4 variants (LM FXP MG YT)

tball
10-16-2012, 09:21 AM
The new IG is much easier to swing; substantially lower-powered, and much harsher than PT630. IG requires much faster swinging to generate the same power and penetration.
Maybe it is just the lack of mass. Maybe with additional mass, it would become closer and more comparable.

maxpotapov
10-16-2012, 10:25 AM
The new IG is much easier to swing; substantially lower-powered, and much harsher than PT630. IG requires much faster swinging to generate the same power and penetration.
Maybe it is just the lack of mass. Maybe with additional mass, it would become closer and more comparable.

This does not sound too promising for IG MP. I will just hope and wait for PT630/280 re-issue...

5point5
10-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Add lead, its even better than those outdated PTs.

El Zed
10-16-2012, 11:09 AM

First, thanks to all that have replied - appreciate the insight/help.

As to the quote above, in terms of being easier to swing - presume that's merely a function of the low static weight and swing weight, or is it a design element (i.e. more rounded edges)?

El Zed
10-16-2012, 11:13 AM

Can you please elaborate - are you suggesting a more head-heavy balance with similar power levels, or are you suggesting other factors? Thanks.

mrmike
10-16-2012, 11:16 AM
This does not sound too promising for IG MP. I will just hope and wait for PT630/280 re-issue...

Boy, I would love to see a new Head stick with the PT630/280 specs. I am making due with the Microgel Prestige MP now. Do you hear us Head ??? :)

5point5
10-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Can you please elaborate - are you suggesting a more head-heavy balance with similar power levels, or are you suggesting other factors? Thanks.

Personally I put them on the head at 12, 3, 9. I was going to counterbalance a bit at the butt, but the racket felt great without it, so I didn't bother.

Honestly, everyone has a different game, so what I do may not fit your game, or what you like. The best part is experimenting and finding your comfort zone. Sure it's great to try what others are doing with their rackets, but in the end it really shouldn't have that much bearing on what you do with your racket, regardless of similar games/tactics etc.

pshulam
10-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Outdated? Please elaborate. Is it because the racquet is no longer in production?

pshulam
10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
The wait could be long!

Backhanded Compliment
10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
yes lead it up... the IGPMP is a beast with a little more mass. The PT630's are sweet but not "magically" better unless your game is suited to the flexier heft of that old frame. Personally I like something a little stiffer and the 62 RA of the IG works well for me.

5point5
10-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Outdated? Please elaborate. Is it because the racquet is no longer in production?

Racket technology has progressed. Although it minimal between each generation I.E. Flexpoint > Microgel > etc, overtime if you compare rackets you can really feel the difference. Like from the 630 to the IG.

The process has been refined over the years, and although all the marketing hype between racket generations is overly exaggerated they have made progress in vibration dampening, flex and other characteristics.

maxpotapov
10-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Racket technology has progressed. Although it minimal between each generation I.E. Flexpoint > Microgel > etc, overtime if you compare rackets you can really feel the difference. Like from the 630 to the IG.

The process has been refined over the years, and although all the marketing hype between racket generations is overly exaggerated they have made progress in vibration dampening, flex and other characteristics.

Yeah, right, if you start counting from Flexpoint, the progress is minimal or feels more like regress. Really weak/vague arguments for racquet technology progress. You can not get any more refined than 100% pure graphite which I believe is the only composition ATP Top 50 players, sponsored by Head, currently use.

El Zed
10-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Yeah, right, if you start counting from Flexpoint, the progress is minimal or feels more like regress. Really weak/vague arguments for racquet technology progress. You can not get any more refined than 100% pure graphite which I believe is the only composition ATP Top 50 players, sponsored by Head, currently use.

What about Twaron?

maxpotapov
10-25-2012, 11:55 AM
What about Twaron?

That I do not know. I read here on boards that TGK/TGT pro stocks seem not to have it. Anyway, there is no advantage adding anything to graphite other than Kevlar/Twaron/whatever lightweight and strong fibres, which is like 20 years old technology.