PDA

View Full Version : Steam 99S

TimmyG
10-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Anyone seen this yet?
16x15 string pattern..
Sales rep said by having fewer crosses than mains studies have shown players getting up to 200 more rpm consistently compared to more traditional string patters..
Supposed to be getting the demo in sometime next month, should be interesting..

themitchmann
10-16-2012, 02:19 AM
There are a couple threads about this already, but I don't know if anyone has spoken with a Wilson rep yet.

pkshooter
10-16-2012, 03:47 AM
It kinda makes sense though cause less cross strings mean the mains can move more and have a faster snap back to the original postition it was in. The down side will be strings breaking faster than you can say topspin. Also control could go down the drain... that should be an intresting demo, good luck, and put new strings in it.

dmcb101
10-16-2012, 04:39 AM
I will be demoing this racquet friday if my wilson rep brings it to our club as we have a demo night. I will let everyone know how it goes with the test as I am interested myself.

couch
10-16-2012, 11:03 AM
There are a couple threads about this already, but I don't know if anyone has spoken with a Wilson rep yet.

I'm seeing mine in about 30 minutes to see the 2013 line. :-)

A_Instead
10-16-2012, 12:28 PM
couch.. If you get the chance to hit with the new Steam. Can you give us your general impressions???

couch
10-16-2012, 05:04 PM
We saw the new line this afternoon and I have to admit I really like what Wilson is doing with all their products.

That being said, we only had the chance to see and "hold" the new racquets, no play testing. The rep said they are having some demo days coming up in a couple cities which I think some other posters have mentioned.

The Steam 99 and 99S are really nice racquets that I think are going to do really well. The four things they did to the 99 that I wanted were:

1. More open string pattern- I'm going to play with the 16 x 18 but if you want open you can go for the 16x15. ;-)
2. Thinner beam at the throat- The 99 feels so much better with a slightly thinner throat area.
3. Cosmetics- the new cosmetics are heads and tails better than the old cosmetics.
4. Added weight- the new Steam weighs in at about 11.3 oz strung. Much better than the 11 oz strung of the original Steam.

The new Steam really feels like a "players" tweener in your hands and that is exactly what I'm looking for in a new racquet.

Sorry I don't have any review of the racquet. :-(

Sander001
10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Anyone seen this yet?
16x15 string pattern..
Sales rep said by having fewer crosses than mains studies have shown players getting up to 200 more rpm consistently compared to more traditional string patters..
Supposed to be getting the demo in sometime next month, should be interesting..What precisely do they mean as "traditional string patters". 200rpm more(which doesn't seem like very much now either) than 18x20 racquets?

I also wonder how much strings add in spin. But I'll bet that a 16x19 strung with poly gives you more spin than a 16x15 strung with a multi or syngut.

srvnvly
10-16-2012, 07:15 PM
We saw the new line this afternoon and I have to admit I really like what Wilson is doing with all their products.

That being said, we only had the chance to see and "hold" the new racquets, no play testing. The rep said they are having some demo days coming up in a couple cities which I think some other posters have mentioned.

The Steam 99 and 99S are really nice racquets that I think are going to do really well. The four things they did to the 99 that I wanted were:

1. More open string pattern- I'm going to play with the 16 x 18 but if you want open you can go for the 16x15. ;-)
2. Thinner beam at the throat- The 99 feels so much better with a slightly thinner throat area.
3. Cosmetics- the new cosmetics are heads and tails better than the old cosmetics.
4. Added weight- the new Steam weighs in at about 11.3 oz strung. Much better than the 11 oz strung of the original Steam.

The new Steam really feels like a "players" tweener in your hands and that is exactly what I'm looking for in a new racquet.

Sorry I don't have any review of the racquet. :-(

Couch - is the throat of the 99S as thin as the 99? And by thin, do you mean < 22 mm? Thanks!

couch
10-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Couch - is the throat of the 99S as thin as the 99? And by thin, do you mean < 22 mm? Thanks!

Yes, pretty sure they are the same. I can look in the catalog to make sure but think they are both 22 mm dual taper beams (22-24-22). I think the only difference is the string patterns. Thinner throat feels tons better than the regular Steam. Trying to get the rep to get us a couple "hitter" frames in the near future but pretty sure I will be switching to this frame. Been using the regular Steam for the last few weeks in preparation for the Steam 99. :-)