PDA

View Full Version : is fall/winter time a bad time to sell?

spectastic
10-15-2012, 10:22 PM
this is around the time people pack up the court and hibernate indoors. I know the used bikes market goes down during winter, while it picks back up in the spring. Does the same apply for rackets?

LanEvo
10-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Prices for racquets are the same throughout the whole yr. it just depends on new models and such...

SteveI
10-16-2012, 07:21 AM
this is around the time people pack up the court and hibernate indoors. I know the used bikes market goes down during winter, while it picks back up in the spring. Does the same apply for rackets?

You pretty much have it nailed....:-)

KFwinds
10-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Eh, it depends on which part of the country you live in; here in the Chicago area indoor tennis is almost more prevalent than outdoor tennis (the USTA leagues book indoor matches throughout the summer btw, which I loathe...). Lots of clubs with indoor courts around here so the winter season is big. I'm sure it's probably a similar situation in the NE part of the US as well.

spectastic
10-16-2012, 11:19 PM
where I come from, an indoor court costs $20/hr to rent. Not a very good deal

pshulam
10-17-2012, 04:19 AM
That's not a bad rate. Court rate ranges from $20 - $25 per hour in our area.

pshulam
10-17-2012, 04:21 AM
No - not as much since you can still play indoor in the Winter or outdoor for places with warmer climate, i.e., Florida, California, Arizona, Texas, etc.

acura9927
10-17-2012, 07:10 AM
32 per hr in Seattle. Not good.

KFwinds
10-17-2012, 07:42 AM

That's not a bad rate; about the average for an indoor court in my area.

spectastic
10-17-2012, 10:57 PM
well I would assume that those who can afford indoor courts won't be interested in buying cheap, used rackets from other people. And warmer climates apply for cyclists too, you know. And the truth is winter is when all the bike sales are, because demand is suddenly chocked as people are anticipating snow and wind, and the price falls. The opposite happens during spring time.

Big_Dangerous
10-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Yeah most states in the south you can pretty much play year round. There have been a few days where I've played and it was pretty cold, but for the most part October-early December and then March-May is really nice to hit around here in Houston.

Big_Dangerous
10-17-2012, 11:03 PM

At least you have courts that are willing to rent for an hour, that just doesn't exist here. You pretty much have to be a member of a ritzy club in order to get that, and there's only 1 indoor club as far as I know in Houston.

cork_screw
10-17-2012, 11:18 PM
You don't know what you're talking about. I sell a ton of racquets both old classics and modern. The fall through winter is the cheap time to get racquets. The height of tennis selling is always around wimbledon to US Open. Prices increase by a lot.

Prices for racquets are the same throughout the whole yr. it just depends on new models and such...

SteveI
10-18-2012, 05:22 AM
You don't know what you're talking about. I sell a ton of racquets both old classics and modern. The fall through winter is the cheap time to get racquets. The height of tennis selling is always around wimbledon to US Open. Prices increase by a lot.

Yeppers... buy in the Fall..winter.. sell in the spring summer.

jorel
10-18-2012, 05:45 AM
thats not bad... get a doubles game going and where else can you go for an hour of entertainment for $5 a person....

places around here charge 60

spectastic
10-18-2012, 04:18 PM

how is that any different than what I just said???

El Diablo
10-19-2012, 12:38 PM
The question about fall/winter is a little pointless. The fact that you're asking it implies you have a choice, i.e. you could wait until the spring and don't absolutely need to sell now. If that's the case, you can simply put it on the market now (fall), insist on a minimum price that's acceptable to you, and if you don't get that price put it on sale again in the spring.

ArliHawk
10-19-2012, 12:52 PM
32 per hr in Seattle. Not good.

That's good. It's $40/hr in KC.

spectastic
10-19-2012, 02:45 PM
damn. that's ridiculous. you can't waste any time with small warmups like short courts then..

spectastic
10-19-2012, 02:46 PM
The question about fall/winter is a little pointless. The fact that you're asking it implies you have a choice, i.e. you could wait until the spring and don't absolutely need to sell now. If that's the case, you can simply put it on the market now (fall), insist on a minimum price that's acceptable to you, and if you don't get that price put it on sale again in the spring.

how is it pointless? you just listed the point right there...

LeeD
10-19-2012, 04:07 PM
What, you're selling thousands of bikes and millions of rackets?
To sell ONE, you only need to find ONE buyer.
If you don't list it, it won't sell at alll.
I'm in the SanFrancisco area. I buy all my bikes around now, and start my tennis season in a couple of weeks, until early April, if the rains don't come strong.

spectastic
10-20-2012, 01:39 AM
christ, I never would've thought a simple question would stir up a bunch of butthurts. And for the record, your bikes, tennis season and SF weather doesn't concern me; nobody cares.