PDA

View Full Version : Federer fans : Which would you rather Federer had won in 2012?

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 02:09 PM
The Wimbledon and the Olympic Silver or the US Open and the Olympic Gold?

Towser83
10-16-2012, 02:12 PM
US Open and gold.US Open is as good as Wimbledon (and would give him an open era record in Us Opens) silver is not as good as gold.

McEnroeisanartist
10-16-2012, 02:13 PM
The Wimbledon and the Olympic Silver or the US Open and the Olympic Gold?

Definately, US Open and Olympic Gold. No Brainer. He would have the outright U.S. Open record and be a gold medalist, shutting up many Nadal lovers. As an American, a 6 time champion at the fairest grand slam, the U.S. Open would be epic.

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Definately, US Open and Olympic Gold. No Brainer. He would have the outright U.S. Open record and be a gold medalist, shutting up many Nadal lovers. As an American, a 6 time champion at the fairest grand slam, the U.S. Open would be epic.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but wouldn't you say a 7th Wimbledon is really special? Probably more so than a 6th US Open? Because Wimbledon is the premier Tennis tournament in the world (even though it's officially the same as the rest of the Slams) and the win meant no one has more Slams than Federer at 3 of the 4 Grand Slams in the Open Era?

For the record, I went with "Option 3" in the poll.

zam88
10-16-2012, 02:26 PM
I immediately voted US Open and Gold.

then I thought about it.

In the mind of every casual fan what's the biggest tennis tournament of the year? The only one some people watch, and the one the almost everyone knows about?

Wimbledon.

You win Wimbledon and it's almost as if the rest of the season doesn't matter.

For the GOAT debate amongst the vast majority of people in the world that don't follow tennis like a hawk like the posters here, Wimbledon is all that matters and having the Wimbledon record = everything.

So.. the USO + gold would've been very very sweet.... but I'm happy with the Wimbledon.

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 03:03 PM
I immediately voted US Open and Gold.

then I thought about it.

In the mind of every casual fan what's the biggest tennis tournament of the year? The only one some people watch, and the one the almost everyone knows about?

Wimbledon.

You win Wimbledon and it's almost as if the rest of the season doesn't matter.

For the GOAT debate amongst the vast majority of people in the world that don't follow tennis like a hawk like the posters here, Wimbledon is all that matters and having the Wimbledon record = everything.

So.. the USO + gold would've been very very sweet.... but I'm happy with the Wimbledon.

I agree with you in theory but I think for a good portion of the casual fans, the Olympic gold is the biggest achievement in Tennis. Because they don't know Tennis history and the Olympics are really well-known.

RF20Lennon
10-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Wimbledon + Gold wouldve been ideal too bad it didnt happen :(

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Wimbledon + Gold wouldve been ideal too bad it didnt happen :(

You can't have everything! :)

Federer20042006
10-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Wimbledon and silver.

I think Federer's US Open legacy is already as good as it's going to be with the 5 in a row. Winning a 6th wouldn't have really changed much.

But tying Pete Sampras at Wimbledon, the most famous and coveted of the slams...that really changed the way he's looked at, I think. After those losses to Berdych and Tsonga, his greatness on grass was starting to come into question. This victory essentially put him back in the discussion for grass court GOAT.

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Wimbledon and silver.

I think Federer's US Open legacy is already as good as it's going to be with the 5 in a row. Winning a 6th wouldn't have really changed much.

But tying Pete Sampras at Wimbledon, the most famous and coveted of the slams...that really changed the way he's looked at, I think. After those losses to Berdych and Tsonga, his greatness on grass was starting to come into question. This victory essentially put him back in the discussion for grass court GOAT.

I still don't think you're a Federer fan but I kind of agree with you. Having said that, the Olympic Singles Gold is the only thing Federer's missing. So I'm still torn. Either way, great season for 30-going-on-31 Federer.

kishnabe
10-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Wimbledon+Silver.

It great to see he proved NadalAgassi wrong.

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Wimbledon+Silver.

It great to see he proved NadalAgassi wrong.

What did he claim?

Steve0904
10-16-2012, 04:01 PM
I voted Wimbledon + Silver. The way he actually did it. I just don't see the Olympics as that important for reasons I won't get into here. So the fact that Federer has silver in singles and Nadal has gold really means jack squat to me. Wimbledon is Wimbledon. The USO is technically on the same level, but I can't really explain it, I was just happy he won Wimbledon as opposed to 1 of the other 3. I suppose another French would've been fantastic, but it's the least likely so I knew he wasn't winning that one. I also think the Wimbledon win is extra special because he got back to #1 on top of a 7th title. There's no guarantee he would've done that with a USO win and a gold medal, although it is likely (even assuming he didn't win Cincy), and he also wouldn't have 300 weeks at #1 right now if he had regained it at the USO.

OHBH
10-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Exactly, Wimbledon and the US Open are pretty much equal and the olympic gold would have added yet another stat onto Fed's GOAT resume

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 04:05 PM
I voted Wimbledon + Silver. The way he actually did it. I just don't see the Olympics as that important for reasons I won't get into here. So the fact that Federer has silver in singles and Nadal has gold really means jack squat to me. Wimbledon is Wimbledon. The USO is technically on the same level, but I can't really explain it, I was just happy he won Wimbledon as opposed to 1 of the other 3. I suppose another French would've been fantastic, but it's the least likely so I knew he wasn't winning that one. I also think the Wimbledon win is extra special because he got back to #1 on top of a 7th title. There's no guarantee he would've done that with a USO win and a gold medal, although it is likely (even assuming he didn't win Cincy), and he also wouldn't have 300 weeks at #1 right now if he had regained it at the USO.

Oh yeah, I didn't think of the 300 weeks thing. Good point.

Steve0904
10-16-2012, 04:15 PM
I think Wimbledon is just inherently special to me because Federer's greatest accomplishments have revolved around it, more so than at any other slam. I mean, look at his history

2003: First slam
2007: 5 in a row tying Borg by beating Nadal
2009: Record breaker
2012: First major in 2.5 yrs #17, #1 ranking.

It couldn't have scripted itself any better. Federer played and won undoubtedly the biggest match of his career IMHO, and that includes any of his matches with Nadal, simply because if Federer had missed this opportunity he might have gone majorless to finish his career. He was still consistent, but this was by far his best chance after beating Novak. The #1 ranking was on the line, and Murray had his own momentous (that's an understatement because I can't think of a big enough word) history to write. This match was beyond huge.

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I think Wimbledon is just inherently special to me because Federer's greatest accomplishments have revolved around it, more so than at any other slam. I mean, look at his history

2003: First slam
2007: 5 in a row tying Borg by beating Nadal
2009: Record breaker
2012: First major in 2.5 yrs #17, #1 ranking.

It couldn't have scripted itself any better. Federer played and won undoubtedly the biggest match of his career IMHO, and that includes any of his matches with Nadal, simply because if Federer had missed this opportunity he might have gone majorless to finish his career. He was still consistent, but this was by far his best chance after beating Novak. The #1 ranking was on the line, and Murray had his own momentous (that's an understatement because I can't think of a big enough word) history to write. This match was beyond huge.

It was. I remember thinking, "this is the biggest match Federer will play for the rest of his life." I thought that for the Djokovic-semi, actually, because I had a feeling the semifinal was, effectively, the final.

Steve0904
10-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Just realized I forgot the French final in 2009. That definitely trumps Wimby 2012 Final, but it's still second.

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Another stupid thread. *******s are so predictable.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6ulorERUz1qle9e0.gif

Steve0904
10-16-2012, 04:30 PM
If I was No1e now, I would just respond to prisoner of birth with The Return. Anyhow, it's not like Djokovic even has enough accomplishments to put into a poll like this. He set 2 big goals for 2012, winning RG, and the OG, and he acheived neither of them.

NadalDramaQueen
10-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Another stupid thread. *******s are so predictable.

You're upset with the wrong set of fans, my friend.

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 04:34 PM
If I was No1e now, I would just respond to prisoner of birth with The Return. Anyhow, it's not like Djokovic even has enough accomplishments to put into a poll like this. He set 2 big goals for 2012, winning RG, and the OG, and he acheived neither of them.

But my username isn't "Fed-thereturn-erer" is it? :)

Steve0904
10-16-2012, 04:40 PM
But my username isn't "Fed-thereturn-erer" is it? :)

Haha. You do know which return I'm talking about though right?

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Haha. You do know which return I'm talking about though right?

The US Open matchpoint return winner, I'm guessing.

Steve0904
10-16-2012, 04:58 PM
The US Open matchpoint return winner, I'm guessing.

Just so I don't keep you guessing, yes.

zam88
10-16-2012, 05:04 PM
I agree with you in theory but I think for a good portion of the casual fans, the Olympic gold is the biggest achievement in Tennis. Because they don't know Tennis history and the Olympics are really well-known.

interesting.

i wonder what a poll of 100 people who are at a minimum aware of what tennis majors are played and could at least name 2-3 tennis players (feds, nadal, roddick.. something) would rate as the bigger achievement... Wimbledon or Olympics.

I can't help but think that when people think Olympics they think of swimming and track and field and gymnastics mainly and not tennis so much.

Just like I think the casual basketball fan would tell you teh NBA championship is more important to LeBron than Olympic gold.

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 05:09 PM
interesting.

i wonder what a poll of 100 people who are at a minimum aware of what tennis majors are played and could at least name 2-3 tennis players (feds, nadal, roddick.. something) would rate as the bigger achievement... Wimbledon or Olympics.

I can't help but think that when people think Olympics they think of swimming and track and field and gymnastics mainly and not tennis so much.

Just like I think the casual basketball fan would tell you teh NBA championship is more important to LeBron than Olympic gold.

I know nothing about Basketball but I can say for sure that the NBA championship means more, simply because Basketball is too big a sport to have Olympics as the biggest prize on offer. I don't know if I'm right, though, and I don't know if the casual Basketball fan (or an ignorant guy like me) would think the same.

Paullaconte1
10-16-2012, 05:10 PM
US Open and Olympic Gold.
He likes records.. so Gold would have completed the collection and the US Open would have enhanced another record...

If I was a pro... I would have been happy with another Wimbledon and the silver ....;-)

zam88
10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
US Open and Olympic Gold.
He likes records.. so Gold would have completed the collection and the US Open would have enhanced another record...

If I was a pro... I would have been happy with another Wimbledon and the silver ....;-)

if i was a pro i probably would be satisfied with a couple majors and being a multi-millionaire.

there's no way i'd have the drive Feds has. To still have the will to practice so hard to reach these records when he could easily just fade into the sunset rich and happy... unreal.

If i were a great tennis player i'd be a one slam wonder most likely.

AM95
10-16-2012, 05:15 PM
wimbledon got him back to #1

Steve0904
10-16-2012, 05:35 PM
I know nothing about Basketball but I can say for sure that the NBA championship means more, simply because Basketball is too big a sport to have Olympics as the biggest prize on offer. I don't know if I'm right, though, and I don't know if the casual Basketball fan (or an ignorant guy like me) would think the same.

This is one of the reasons I don't think the Olympics in tennis is that important. It's only come back from hiatus since 1988, and tennis has its own tour with more historic, and therefore bigger events. I can understand the biggest acheivement in say track and field, or swimming being Olympic Gold, but it's not the case for tennis no matter how important it seems to the players.

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 05:38 PM
This is one of the reasons I don't think the Olympics in tennis is that important. It's only come back from hiatus since 1988, and tennis has its own tour with more historic, and therefore bigger events. I can understand the biggest acheivement in say track and field, or swimming being Olympic Gold, but it's not the case for tennis no matter how important it seems to the players.

It's important for players because it's a patriotic thing. You don't see Federer playing doubles at Grand Slams but he does at the Olympics because he wants to win a medal for his country. For your country, an Olympic Gold means more than a Grand Slam. That's its biggest appeal in Tennis.

kishnabe
10-16-2012, 05:47 PM
What did he claim?

That Federer would never win Wimbledon again. Also that it was his weakest slam and that us *******s are idiots for thinking a 6 time Champ at that time could pull it off.

Also thought Murray, Novak and Nadal are better than Federer on grass at this age.

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 05:49 PM
That Federer would never win Wimbledon again. Also that it was his weakest slam and that us *******s are idiots for thinking a 6 time Champ at that time could pull it off.

Also thought Murray, Novak and Nadal are better than Federer on grass at this age.

You know what they say, "the bigger you talk, the harder you fall." :)

cc0509
10-16-2012, 05:57 PM
I would have been fine with either but I think winning Wimbledon, not to mention his 7th Wimbledon and equalling Sampras' record is something that Federer would have wanted more. Wimbledon is the most prestigious slam and is Federer's favorite, so I guess a W plus an OS would be the better option.

Now if Federer can win one more W and have the most Wimbledon's of all time, that would be a nice way to go out.

NGM
10-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't think that silver count. For a player as great as Federer, coming second is meaningless. But with Wimbledon, he came back to number 1 spot and hold it for 300 weeks total. It is a special thing. 300 weeks! A new milestone in tennis history.
I have no regret with his 2012 and I dont want to trade anything.
(One more WTF will be good, but I dont think he can do it this time. He seems too tired).

Sabratha
10-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm happy with what he's won.

Sabratha
10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
He came close to achieving the Olympic Gold and has reached #1 in the ATP rankings again after he set a goal, after he slipped to #3 in 2010, to get back to the premier ranking.

Steve0904
10-17-2012, 11:30 AM
It's important for players because it's a patriotic thing. You don't see Federer playing doubles at Grand Slams but he does at the Olympics because he wants to win a medal for his country. For your country, an Olympic Gold means more than a Grand Slam. That's its biggest appeal in Tennis.

I know why it's important to players, I just can't find it in myself to care about the Olympics like I do the slams.

Hood_Man
10-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I was really hoping he could win the Olympic gold this year, it's been something I've wanted as a fan for years and this seemed like his last shot.

A US Open as well, but minus Wimbledon, seems like a pretty good trade. Especially considering the heart break he'd suffered there the previous 3 years.