PDA

View Full Version : wilson Amplifeel technology problem?

shaneno
10-16-2012, 05:15 PM
i have the Wilson BLX PS 90 and i think the Amplifeel is making me have more feel then i want. i love the k90 more. how do i make the Wilson BLX PS 90 feel like the k90? or should i just switch back to the K90?

i would like to know if you think Amplifeel has problem?

MikeHitsHard93
10-16-2012, 05:30 PM
i have the Wilson BLX PS 90 and i think the Amplifeel is making me have more feel then i want. i love the k90 more. how do i make the Wilson BLX PS 90 feel like the k90? or should i just switch back to the K90?

i would like to know if you think Amplifeel has problem?

I think you should switch back if you don't like the feel of a racket... Who cares if the k90 is old? I'm sure that's your reason for getting Feds new stick :)

shaneno
10-16-2012, 05:34 PM
I think you should switch back if you don't like the feel of a racket... Who cares if the k90 is old? I'm sure that's your reason for getting Feds new stick :)

The reason i got the new stick because of i break the k90. a first i think i went through that phase of new technology amazing... but now it like not good.. the K90 felt much more better

MikeHitsHard93
10-16-2012, 05:36 PM
The reason i got the new stick because of i break the k90. a first i think i went through that phase of new technology amazing... but now it like not good.. the K90 felt much more better

I personally liked the feel of the new 90. But have never played with the k90. Many ppl like the k factor more. Go with what feels good. You can still find the k90 somewhere

shaneno
10-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I personally liked the feel of the new 90. But have never played with the k90. Many ppl like the k factor more. Go with what feels good. You can still find the k90 somewhere

ur using the new 90? what u do to it? did u keep the leather on iT?

MikeHitsHard93
10-16-2012, 05:41 PM
ur using the new 90? what u do to it? did u keep the leather on iT?

No I demoed it. Considering buying it though because I want a heavier stick.

shaneno
10-16-2012, 05:44 PM
No I demoed it. Considering buying it though because I want a heavier stick.

oh i see..

TimothyO
10-16-2012, 06:10 PM
At least in the Pro Staff 6.1 95 Ampli Feel includes metal shanks in the handle. It hurt my hand so much I sold the frame.

Remember, extra feel means you're getting extra feedback in some form, for example vibrations or shock. Ampli Feel can also mean Ampli Shock. It's the opposite of what so many other companies are doing to reduce vibrations and shock.

Another example are the basalt strips on the surface of the handle. The strips are extra stiff and hard which will indeed transmit extra vibrations/shock/feel. A better solution to protect arm health would have been gel or silicone.

WhereIsMacMac
10-16-2012, 06:26 PM
At least in the Pro Staff 6.1 95 Ampli Feel includes metal shanks in the handle. It hurt my hand so much I sold the frame.

Remember, extra feel means you're getting extra feedback in some form, for example vibrations or shock. Ampli Feel can also mean Ampli Shock. It's the opposite of what so many other companies are doing to reduce vibrations and shock.

Another example are the basalt strips on the surface of the handle. The strips are extra stiff and hard which will indeed transmit extra vibrations/shock/feel. A better solution to protect arm health would have been gel or silicone.

I totally agree

maxpotapov
10-16-2012, 08:20 PM

OK then, what if one replaces stock grip with Wilson Shock Shield? Will it somewhat soften ampli-harsh feedback?

TimothyO
10-17-2012, 05:33 AM
OK then, what if one replaces stock grip with Wilson Shock Shield? Will it somewhat soften ampli-harsh feedback?

No. The Shock Shield is my favorite replacement grip. I loved the PS 6.1 95 so much I did everything I could to dampen the Ampli Shock effect.

I used the Shock Shield grip.

I used the thickest OG I could find and even tried two at one point.

I removed the Basalt strips and filled in the grooves with gel/silicone.

I strung with a gut / soft multi hybrid.

Nothing worked. I still had intense pain in my hand on mornings after using the frame the night before. It was so bad I couldn't close my hand.

Switched frames (Dunlop 200 series) and while I still feel residual effects from the Pro Staff the pain is effectively gone.

But my arm is sensitive so YMMV. Others have reported no ill effects. But I also know another local fellow who had my experience and switched frames too.

maxpotapov
10-17-2012, 06:32 AM
No. The Shock Shield is my favorite replacement grip. I loved the PS 6.1 95 so much I did everything I could to dampen the Ampli Shock effect.

I used the Shock Shield grip.

I used the thickest OG I could find and even tried two at one point.

I removed the Basalt strips and filled in the grooves with gel/silicone.

I strung with a gut / soft multi hybrid.

Nothing worked. I still had intense pain in my hand on mornings after using the frame the night before. It was so bad I couldn't close my hand.

Switched frames (Dunlop 200 series) and while I still feel residual effects from the Pro Staff the pain is effectively gone.

But my arm is sensitive so YMMV. Others have reported no ill effects. But I also know another local fellow who had my experience and switched frames too.

Woow, what a remarkable effort!
What was the average weight and swingweight when you experimented with the handle? Extra mass can absorb extra shock, but I see your 4D 200T are not far from stock specs..

AYone
12-30-2012, 10:17 AM
I agree with all of what Tim O said. I'm wondering, do you think the ampli-feel tech. is just as bad in the new blades? The 18/20 just seems to have all the specs I want, but I'm afraid of Wilson ampli-feel sticks now.

Power Player
12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I agree with all of what Tim O said. I'm wondering, do you think the ampli-feel tech. is just as bad in the new blades? The 18/20 just seems to have all the specs I want, but I'm afraid of Wilson ampli-feel sticks now.

Well the good news is the Blade is built like a pro stock racquet. By that I mean, the layup has a stiff hoop but flexes in the throat, and also has a handle filled with Silicone or foam. If you do like the Blade but are scared of amplifeel, I own the prior release and it is so good I have not been tempted to buy the new one yet. They are also less expensive.

Philipp Kohlscheriber #1
01-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Come on guys the ampli feel dosn't hurt that much I just got a PS 95 and before that I had six one team 2012 and they both felt really good with even with a ploy in them.

AYone
01-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Its not that it hurts during playing. It's something with the absorption of the vibrations in the handle. I feel like it's almost like a vibrating device, like a hair buzzer or jackhammer. You hold it long enough your hand has a numb feeling afterwards. I'm not a dr., but I would propose a theory that the minority of people that ampli-feel affects negatively, share similarities in the way they swing and impact the ball or, impossible to prove but perhaps, tendon and joint structure in their hands.

UCSF2012
01-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Is your arm/wrist hurting more with amplifeel?

cork_screw
01-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Yeah, this is the funny thing about Wilson. They tried to come up with an answer where a problem never existed. The BLX material was supposed to dampen the racquet. Like vibration dampeners don't exist. You can vary your dampness with a rubber band for light or a caterpillar weave for ultimate dampness. So they thought people complained about it. And now they try to solve it by adding more feel. How about just working on other areas and leaving intangibles like things we can alter up to us and work on issues like the new string pattern that was good. But Babolat did the same thing with the cortex and it's funny how these new technologies just aren't appealing to most people who can control these areas, but want to focus on bigger issues

Side note here. Babolat pure drive 2012 didn't even have any technologies associated with it. They felt like they were on a roll and just coveted the latest technology as a black paintjob. They are getting pretty brazen in how they just don't even care.

I felt the amplifeel and it feels extremely muted. I could not feel a thing when the ball hit my strings. It felt like I was holding a balloon and somebody dropped a pea on the top of it. I felt nothing in terms of feel. TW was right, give us back our traditional racquets and just mess with the string pattern or the composition to add whatever that we can't directly control. Thanks wilson for wasting the last 3 years on pointless technologies. You and Babolat should have brunch together and discuss how fun it was taking money from people who bought into this crap.

DonDiego
01-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Nothing to do with amplifeel. This 6.1 model has actually a bigger sweetspot than the blx. When you hit it, it's like pushing a pillow in heaven, while lying next to Jennifer Love Hewitt. If you miss, you might feel some vibration. But that happens with any racquet.

The only time I can hurt my hand playing with this racquet, is when I try to return a heavy serve with my backhand, and shank it. THAT hurts... More than with the BLX, but it's because there's not enough weight in the throat of this racquet, compared to the BLX. This one is more polarized. But it has nothing to do with the Amplifeel technology in my opinion.