PDA

View Full Version : Fed's forehand trajectory

defrule
10-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Take a look at the two forehands in this video at 3m20s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJzxgBvUFGY#t=3m20s

The first one is probably to respond to the lower bounce of the slice to get it up of the net. But why does he hit the next forehand with such a high trajectory?

I don't think it was a mishit because he sometimes does it in other matches.

kaku
10-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Possibly to expose a weak Tomic backhand up high/not allow Tomic to find a groundstroke rhythm

LeeD
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Did you see that ball skid off to Tomic's right at 4:08? Musta jumped 2' sideways.
Rallyballs, not winner attempts was good enough to get the job done.

above bored
10-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Take a look at the two forehands in this video at 3m20s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJzxgBvUFGY#t=3m20s

The first one is probably to respond to the lower bounce of the slice to get it up of the net. But why does he hit the next forehand with such a high trajectory?

I don't think it was a mishit because he sometimes does it in other matches.
He's just mixing it up, don't read too much into it. Federer is known for his variety. It's a good way of preventing opponents from getting into a rhythm, to disrupt their consistency.

Players are constantly making random and split second decisions simply based on instinct, with very little thought involved. That's what Federer is doing here, just mixing it up randomly. It worked, he won the point on an error.

Lawn Tennis
10-16-2012, 08:21 PM
His opponent (Tomic) keeps the ball very low as you know. I'm guessing Fed got into a lifting action swing to compensate for the barrage of low balls.

smoledman
10-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Because when Federer hits endless topspin drives to his opponents backhand that's A-OK, but when Nadal does it he's the most horrible evil man ever!

Prisoner of Birth
10-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Because when Federer hits endless topspin drives to his opponents backhand that's A-OK, but when Nadal does it he's the most horrible evil man ever!

Probably because Nadal's topspin is better :)

Russeljones
10-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Federer really wants to avoid his opponents getting into any sort of rhythm.

smoledman
10-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Federer really wants to avoid his opponents getting into any sort of rhythm.

Yup he's a cheater because he refuses to beat Nadal at his own game.

Russeljones
10-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Yup he's a cheater because he refuses to beat Nadal at his own game.

Potatoes are expensive in Angola.

See I can quote someone and write jibberish too. (Excepting the fact that they really are.)

smoledman
10-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Federer prefers to play quick strike tennis and Nadal refuses to play that game.