PDA

View Full Version : Mid size vs Mid plus

pkshooter
10-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Before I have lived my life in fear of the sub 97 inch racket, but after playing with the bblt i just don't any more. I really started to feel that it takes less effort to use this than a mid plus because you'll find the worse mis hits still landing in because those bad shots just can't go anywhere with the power drop outside the sweet spot. I know their will be flaming for this :twisted: but why do mids have so bad of a wrap with recreational players to whom 5 mph off anything doesn't make a diff. First mids just look cooler, you'll look cooler, they feel cooler, and its just more fun to play with something that cuts through the air like a knife and hits a ball with the mass of a small truck.

Doubles
10-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Before I have lived my life in fear of the sub 97 inch racket, but after playing with the bblt i just don't any more. I really started to feel that it takes less effort to use this than a mid plus because you'll find the worse mis hits still landing in because those bad shots just can't go anywhere with the power drop outside the sweet spot. I know their will be flaming for this :twisted: but why do mids have so bad of a wrap with recreational players to whom 5 mph off anything doesn't make a diff. First mids just look cooler, you'll look cooler, they feel cooler, and its just more fun to play with something that cuts through the air like a knife and hits a ball with the mass of a small truck.Because at match speed you're more than likely to shank than with a larger head, assuming you don't have good hand eye coordination.

pshulam
10-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Because at match speed you're more than likely to shank than with a larger head, assuming you don't have good hand eye coordination.

Agreed - during a match, it's much harder to hit the ball at the center of a mid against a fast and hard hitter.

Hi I'm Ray
10-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Before I have lived my life in fear of the sub 97 inch racket, but after playing with the bblt i just don't any more. I really started to feel that it takes less effort to use this than a mid plus because you'll find the worse mis hits still landing in because those bad shots just can't go anywhere with the power drop outside the sweet spot. I know their will be flaming for this :twisted: but why do mids have so bad of a wrap with recreational players to whom 5 mph off anything doesn't make a diff. First mids just look cooler, you'll look cooler, they feel cooler, and its just more fun to play with something that cuts through the air like a knife and hits a ball with the mass of a small truck.

haha. The parts in bold are a bit funny. Most ppl look at the quality of your shots and the score, the look of a racket in hand doesn't make much of a difference during play. Yes, mids and lower powered frames are easier to control. I'd say the difference in power/speed can be much more than 5mph. If a player can hit bigger shots with a midplus and still control it, then why not use it (and have a more forgiving stringbed/sweetspot as well)

robbo1970
10-17-2012, 05:32 AM
There's no right answer to this I don't think.

I think if you can hit the ball on the sweet spot with either a mid or midplus every time then both will look cool.

Similarly, if you frame it with a mid it could look like youre kidding yourself that you dont need a larger head, alternatively if you frame a ball with a midplus it doesnt look good either. I think if you can control the power and put the ball where you want it and can play a shot from any part of the court, go with a head size that can give you more chance of hitting that sweet spot on a regular basis. (thats why I chose the racket I have)

I dont think its the racket that makes someone look cool, its the shots you can play with racket that make you cool.

HEADfamilydynasty
10-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Agreed - during a match, it's much harder to hit the ball at the center of a mid against a fast and hard hitter.
Below a certain level though it doesn't matter, so there's that to consider as well.

max
10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
At a certain level it just doesn't matter. I happen to serve better with a mid.

I also grew up on wood, so even a "mid" seems huge to me; plenty of sweet spot to put on the ball.

treblings
10-17-2012, 11:16 AM

not in my experience. i find it easier to get the racket to the ball with the added manouevrability of the mid

treblings
10-17-2012, 11:19 AM

I also grew up on wood, so even a "mid" seems huge to me; plenty of sweet spot to put on the ball.

i think that part about growing up on wood is true for myself as well. played various incarnations of prestige mp and other mpīs over the years and have just recently switched to a prestige mid

pkshooter
10-18-2012, 06:09 AM
haha. The parts in bold are a bit funny. Most ppl look at the quality of your shots and the score, the look of a racket in hand doesn't make much of a difference during play. Yes, mids and lower powered frames are easier to control. I'd say the difference in power/speed can be much more than 5mph. If a player can hit bigger shots with a midplus and still control it, then why not use it (and have a more forgiving stringbed/sweetspot as well)

thank you I thought it was too :) . And the second part i always thought that placement was better than power.

pkshooter
10-18-2012, 06:10 AM

I play alot of pushers in highschool

pkshooter
10-18-2012, 06:12 AM

I was inbetween rackets for a while so I was using a spalding woodie and an old steel frame with 2/3 the head size: my coach gave it to me as a joke. I used these for like 2 months.

pkshooter
10-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Below a certain level though it doesn't matter, so there's that to consider as well.

Exactly, at a certain point you just have to be good enough to rally with that girl on the other court :neutral: and be good enough to make her feel good :) that she beat you- regaurdless of whether or not it was intentional :twisted:

HEADfamilydynasty
10-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Exactly, at a certain point you just have to be good enough to rally with that girl on the other court :neutral: and be good enough to make her feel good :) that she beat you- regaurdless of whether or not it was intentional :twisted:

HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT?! :shock:

pkshooter
10-18-2012, 05:07 PM
I have a good coach