PDA

View Full Version : How could the 2003-2004 season have been changed?

Sabratha
10-17-2012, 04:27 AM
What would have happened had Hewitt got to the finals of Wimbledon and Safin the finals of the US Open instead of Ferrero? Would this have impacted Federer's ranking much at the end of the 2003 season and the start of the 2004 season? What if Ferrero won their encounter in the semifinals of the 2004 Australian Open? Would Federer have still found it in himself to become #1 after that point, or would he have declined back to being a headcase?

What I'm asking is if the players made more of a push back against Federer, would it have impacted his season(s) as much as Nadal did?

pvaudio
10-17-2012, 06:42 AM
I don't really understand why people bring up what-if threads on here, especially when talking about seasons 10 years ago.

SStrikerR
10-17-2012, 06:52 AM
I can ask stupid questions to. What if Nadal had picked soccer?

Sabratha
10-17-2012, 06:52 AM
I don't really understand why people bring up what-if threads on here, especially when talking about seasons 10 years ago.
Because it could determine whether or not Federer ever achieved the #1 ranking, basically speculating records.

pvaudio
10-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Because it could determine whether or not Federer ever achieved the #1 ranking, basically speculating records.
....But he did, so again, the speculation is pointless. If you were asking about "what if the umpire hadn't overturned the line call at 30-30 in the final at Wimbledon yesterday so Fed wouldn't have been rattled on match point?" then sure.

Sabratha
10-17-2012, 07:03 AM
....But he did, so again, the speculation is pointless. If you were asking about "what if the umpire hadn't overturned the line call at 30-30 in the final at Wimbledon yesterday so Fed wouldn't have been rattled on match point?" then sure.
It's still interesting to take a look back to see if things panned out differently, even slightly, Federer might never have become number one in the world.

Matt H.
10-17-2012, 12:43 PM
what if Haas had a 100% healthy shoulder and played the 2003 season?

BauerAlmeida
10-17-2012, 03:06 PM
What would have happened had Hewitt got to the finals of Wimbledon and Safin the finals of the US Open instead of Ferrero? Would this have impacted Federer's ranking much at the end of the 2003 season and the start of the 2004 season? What if Ferrero won their encounter in the semifinals of the 2004 Australian Open? Would Federer have still found it in himself to become #1 after that point, or would he have declined back to being a headcase?

What I'm asking is if the players made more of a push back against Federer, would it have impacted his season(s) as much as Nadal did?

Safin would've defeat Roddick.

Hewitt replacing who in Wimby final?

Can't see Ferrero winning that match in anyway. Federer was a lot better and straight-setted him easily. In any case, I think he would've got the 1 in Miami/Iw.

Steve0904
10-17-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't really understand the point of this thread. This all happened 10 years ago.

NadalAgassi
10-17-2012, 04:46 PM

Federer in mid 2003 began a run of total ownage of all of Hewitt, Roddick, and Safin. He was just way better than all of them, except when Safin entered his rare GOD modes. The best any could hope for is the odd miracelous toughed out or comeback win like Roddick in Canada 2003, Hewitt in Davis Cup 2003. I doubt anything would have changed that, those guys just dont have games or mindsets to give him the trouble Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray (in non slams only) do.

BauerAlmeida
10-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Federer in mid 2003 began a run of total ownage of all of Hewitt, Roddick, and Safin. He was just way better than all of them, except when Safin entered his rare GOD modes. The best any could hope for is the odd miracelous toughed out or comeback win like Roddick in Canada 2003, Hewitt in Davis Cup 2003. I doubt anything would have changed that, those guys just dont have games or mindsets to give him the trouble Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray (in non slams only) do.

But they faced a better version of Federer. Djokovic would've been able to beat Federer in his peak I think, Nadal obviously. But Murray can't even beat him now (in slams), I don't think he could even dream of beating him in a slam in 2005 like Safin did. Even Roddick came closer in Wimby 2004 than Murray ever did.

NadalAgassi
10-17-2012, 05:18 PM
But they faced a better version of Federer. Djokovic would've been able to beat Federer in his peak I think, Nadal obviously. But Murray can't even beat him now (in slams), I don't think he could even dream of beating him in a slam in 2005 like Safin did. Even Roddick came closer in Wimby 2004 than Murray ever did.

I do believe Djokovic would have been more of a threat to peak Federer than Roddick or Hewitt (not that this is saying much). I believe he would have been a threat to him at the Australian for sure, and possibly the French. Murray is only a threat to Federer in non slams, but he beats him so frequently in those he would no doubt be scoring some wins over even prime Federer in them, and that is still more than Roddick or Hewitt can manage.

jaggy
10-17-2012, 05:19 PM
What if Serena fought Godzilla?