PDA

View Full Version : Strange Question

tdhawks
10-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Perhaps this has been answered by some before and I missed it, but here goes.

I play with 2 APDGT's, have one going on two years now and the other around 8 months. Both have had close to 7-8 string jobs each. They just do not feel like they have the pop they once had, kkind of feels like I'm hitting with a 2x4 right now, not much feel or power.

So my question is, after time and so many string jobs, does a racquet typically lose feel and pop? After how long should one consider replacing with new sticks (I know it's a personally preference, but there has to be some sort of literature on this isn't there)?

Thanks.

McLovin
10-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Not such a strange question as it has been discussed here many times. What you will find is a range of answers from 6 months to 5 years (or more). The true answer is: it depends.

What does it depend on? Most likely build quality, frequency of play, frequency of stringing, tension, style of play, and obviously 'level of abuse'.

Personally I subscribe to the 3/2 plan, where I buy 3 of the same frame and rotate them equally for ~ 2 years. I play ~ 3 times a week, and restring approx every 3 weeks.

At the end of the 2 years, I will either buy 3 new of the same frame, or if I find something else I like, get 3 of that frame, and start all over again.

tdhawks
10-17-2012, 05:55 AM
I like your idea of the 3/2 plan. It makes a lot of sense actually. I, like you, play 3 times a week and string close to every 3 weeks. I'm a baseliner and string at 57lbs.

Thanks for reply.

Ramon
10-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Perhaps this has been answered by some before and I missed it, but here goes.

I play with 2 APDGT's, have one going on two years now and the other around 8 months. Both have had close to 7-8 string jobs each. They just do not feel like they have the pop they once had, kkind of feels like I'm hitting with a 2x4 right now, not much feel or power.

So my question is, after time and so many string jobs, does a racquet typically lose feel and pop? After how long should one consider replacing with new sticks (I know it's a personally preference, but there has to be some sort of literature on this isn't there)?

Thanks.

A racquet does lose feel and pop eventually, but for the APDGT that timeframe is much longer than what you described. I'm guessing you either have dead poly in your racquets or you're no longer in the honeymoon phase of your racquets.