PDA

View Full Version : Wilson "Spin Effect" patent?

corners
10-17-2012, 08:44 AM
After reading Drak's mini-review of Wilson's 99S with "spin effect" technology, I went looking for the patent application, but haven't been able to find it. Several of the articles about the new "S" racquets, as well as the press release from Wilson have described them as "patent pending."

Can anyone else locate this patent application?

Arthuro
10-17-2012, 08:57 AM
I checked this out as well as I am especially interested in patented technology and nothing is there.

I think this leads one to believe it is more marketing.

Chotobaka
10-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Utility patent applications aren't published until 18 months from the initial filing date, so no surprise that nothing is currently visible at USPTO. This is going to be an interesting one -- is Wilson is strictly focusing on the 16x15 pattern or some other combination of intellectual property; is there existing technology that the patent examiner deems to be substantially similar; and, if approved, how defendable will the patent be? There is a lot of back and forth involved in the patent process, so it may be a while before we know.

Automatix
10-17-2012, 09:15 AM
I am happy Wilson came up with a frame with such a stringpattern.
Although the 99S is far from my ideal racket it can be the closest thing to the response of the Yonex Pro RD70 Long 95 string bed which is 16x17.

I'm intrigued by the patent thing though. How can you patent a string pattern?
This "patent thing" is going crazy with patenting human genes etc. SICK!

corners
10-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Utility patent applications aren't published until 18 months from the initial filing date, so no surprise that nothing is currently visible at USPTO. This is going to be an interesting one -- is Wilson is strictly focusing on the 16x15 pattern or some other combination of intellectual property; is there existing technology that the patent examiner deems to be substantially similar; and, if approved, how defendable will the patent be? There is a lot of back and forth involved in the patent process, so it may be a while before we know.

Ah, thanks for the explanation Chotobaka!

esgee48
10-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Going to be very interesting if Wilson can patent the idea. There a lot of PRIOR string bed configurations (like what the Woodies' 12x14 or 14x10? or the Prince POG 14x18 or Head i.S12 14x17) which came before this idea. I can see other companies pointing out all the prior string bed configurations used in the past.

filphil
10-17-2012, 03:46 PM
When reading about the S rackets it sounded like the use of a racket with less cross strings than mains was the selling point. Maybe the patent is on that particular property?

mikeler
10-17-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm no patent attorney (although I do play with one) but I can't see how a string pattern alone can be something a patent is granted for.