PDA

View Full Version : Best racquet for Windshield wiper FH

Sreeram
10-17-2012, 10:43 AM
I used to be a flat hitter when I was playing with AST GT. But somehow transitioned to hit modern windshield wiper FH starting the swing with closed racquet face to hit with more spin when I moved to Gold99. Gold was brilliant for such strokes and I got very high success, especially with punishing 2nd serve by jumping in.

Is it true that some racquets favor certain kind of strokes? I believe it is true because I could never hit the same FH with AST GT, AST alowed me to hit flat with confidence but not this spinny FH.

What other racquets that are available today that will favor such modern FH?

Sreeram
10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
My problem is, since I am still learning to hit FH this way, I am not hitting the sweet spot all the time. Gold is very forgiving racquet for these mishits and the ball still goes where I wanted.

Racer41c
10-17-2012, 10:56 AM
I used to be a flat hitter when I was playing with AST GT. But somehow transitioned to hit modern windshield wiper FH starting the swing with closed racquet face to hit with more spin when I moved to Gold99. Gold was brilliant for such strokes and I got very high success, especially with punishing 2nd serve by jumping in.

Is it true that some racquets favor certain kind of strokes? I believe it is true because I could never hit the same FH with AST GT, AST alowed me to hit flat with confidence but not this spinny FH.

What other racquets that are available today that will favor such modern FH?

Well all I can say is I hit with the same racquet with the same stroke. No complaints what so ever. You may find a different racquet to hit with but I keep finding that the gold is unique and fits me and my game perfectly.

Question for you: What's your backhand stroke? What's your string setup?

prjacobs
10-17-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't know the Donnay Gold, but at 99 sq. inches, it has a large enough head. Okay... I took a look at the specs. It's light, with a low swing weight, which will make it easier to whip around, it has a 16 X 19 string pattern which will give you lots of spin. It has a very thin beam, so you shouldn't have any issues framing balls. Look at frames between 11 - 11.5 ounces with open string patterns. Obviously the APD comes to mind.
Maybe you just need a little time to get the swing down. You could also look at the dunlop bio 500 tour. I used the 4D 500 tour and it absolutely killed for spin. I liked it better than the PD and PDR, Becker Pro.... Use TW's demo program. It's the only way to find out what really will work for you. Have you taken any lessons? I good teacher can really help. Good luck :) .

Boricua
10-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Babolat Aeroprodrive. New model is coming out in December supposedly.

chrisl
10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I have bought 2 Wilson 6.1 95 racquets@16x19 and they have tremendous spin potential while being soft on my elbow.

Mind you, they're 309 g frame wight racquets - underrated sticks inho.

strings: BS lang strings against luxilong crosses..

fwiw,

Chris.

LeeD
10-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Look at the racket's the pros are using.
Any and all racket not made for 75 year old's.

Sreeram
10-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Well all I can say is I hit with the same racquet with the same stroke. No complaints what so ever. You may find a different racquet to hit with but I keep finding that the gold is unique and fits me and my game perfectly.

Question for you: What's your backhand stroke? What's your string setup?

My problem with Gold is my 2hander backhand which is a flatter stroke is so weak. I am still not given up with Gold. I am just checking other options to see if I can find a racquet that is good for both the strokes. I am currently trying IG Rad Pro, but I am still not able to hit the same FH that Gold gave me, not even close.

LeeD
10-17-2012, 01:50 PM
While the search for the holy grail is noble, sometime in your life you have to stop all the travels, stay home, get a job, make some money, get married, have kids, have argument's with wifey, .............

El Nino
10-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Just wait for someone to say the Gamma Big Bubba!

El Nino
10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
On a serious note, how about the Yonex Ezone team 102? That stick oozes with spin potential

Sreeram
10-17-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't know the Donnay Gold, but at 99 sq. inches, it has a large enough head. Okay... I took a look at the specs. It's light, with a low swing weight, which will make it easier to whip around, it has a 16 X 19 string pattern which will give you lots of spin. It has a very thin beam, so you shouldn't have any issues framing balls. Look at frames between 11 - 11.5 ounces with open string patterns. Obviously the APD comes to mind.
Maybe you just need a little time to get the swing down. You could also look at the dunlop bio 500 tour. I used the 4D 500 tour and it absolutely killed for spin. I liked it better than the PD and PDR, Becker Pro.... Use TW's demo program. It's the only way to find out what really will work for you. Have you taken any lessons? I good teacher can really help. Good luck :) .

I cannot hit my FH cleanly without getting the feel of the ball. Though i have not played with APD much, I have played with ASTGT that has better feel than APD. Even with AST I cannot hit a cleaner FH.