PDA

View Full Version : dunlop biomimetic f300 tour vs. biomimetic 300 tour

tom4ny
10-17-2012, 11:34 AM
received my new f300 tour today and will take it out tonight for play testing.

i switched to the bio 300 tour last year and thoroughly enjoy this frame which is perfectly suited for my game. i am a 4.5 all court player with relatively flat strokes and a one handed backhand. the bio 300 tour does everything well for me. from ground strokes to volleys to flat first serves, i get the pace and precision that i want from this solid frame. i do have 3 grams of lead tape running from 11:00-1:00 along the upper hoop and have replaced the gecko grip with head's hydrosorb grip.

my new f300 tour is also strung with kirshbaum pro line II at 55/52. i will play this frame in stock form tonight with the original dunlop grip, and follow up with my initial thoughts and a comparison of the two frames. i do not plan on switching frames at this time.

GenesisTurbo
10-17-2012, 04:48 PM
i have just switched to the Bio 300 Tour
what strings do you recommend? i pretty much have the same style of play as you.

tom4ny
10-17-2012, 05:25 PM
i have just switched to the Bio 300 Tour
what strings do you recommend? i pretty much have the same style of play as you.

your current string choice seems like a good one to me. i like a softer poly and play with a full bed of pro line II but i definitely suggest a 17g string. 2 multi's i like in this frame are isospeed professional classic and isospeed energetic 17. i also drop the cross tension by 3#'s.

hoodjem
10-17-2012, 05:34 PM
received my new f300 tour today and will take it out tonight for play testing.

i switched to the bio 300 tour last year and thoroughly enjoy this frame which is perfectly suited for my game. i am a 4.5 all court player with relatively flat strokes and a one handed backhand. the bio 300 tour does everything well for me. from ground strokes to volleys to flat first serves, i get the pace and precision that i want from this solid frame. i do have 3 grams of lead tape running from 11:00-1:00 along the upper hoop and have replaced the gecko grip with head's hydrosorb grip.

my new f300 tour is also strung with kirshbaum pro line II at 55/52. i will play this frame in stock form tonight with the original dunlop grip, and follow up with my initial thoughts and a comparison of the two frames. i do not plan on switching frames at this time.Can you get much spin out of either racquet?

I really like the specs for these racquets, but both are 18X20 and I cannot get much spin off of that denser string-bed pattern.

I wish they made the same racquet in 16X18 or 16X19.

tom4ny
10-17-2012, 05:46 PM
initial impressions on the new f300 tour is that dunlop has created a crisper and snappier 300 tour. they also fixed the issues with the prior version by making a more solid upper hoop and a larger sweetspot. spin generation is also improved. the frame is solid like the prior version and swings fast through the air. the grip is longer so those with 2 handed backhands will be pleased. the frame is also a comfortable hit. you get decent ball feel and good shock absorption.

the new f300 tour volleys like a dream and improves on the prior version. groundstrokes were very good also with a higher trajectory than shots hit with my regular bio 300 tour. forehands were great but i prefer the regular bio 30 tour for my one handed backhand. i also prefer serving with my regular bio 300 tour but could get more spin and kick with the f 300 tour.

i think that the prior version has better ball pocketing and even a bit more power when you hit the center of the racquet. the new version is definitely more lively feeling and has more power in the upper third of the frame.

oh, the new gecko grip is much improved. i didnt like the old version at all but this one feels much better.

next week i will be hitting with my regular hitting partner who is a 5.5 so i will be able to get a much better assessment of how i play with this new version when under pressure or on the defensive. i will also be better able to compare service returns but both frames feel solid in this area.

both are control frames but i get better angles with my old bio 300 tour. windshield wiper forehands are fun with both frames though.

i also may polarize the new frame and add a little lead up top. it may help with serves where the older bio 300 tour just worked better for me tonight.

tom4ny
10-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Can you get much spin out of either racquet?

I really like the specs for these racquets, but both are 18X20 and I cannot get much spin off of that denser string-bed pattern.

with a full bed of 17g poly i get pretty good spin generation. the new f300 tour gets excellent spin with this set up. it will not be the spin monster that a 16x18 gets you but it is not bad at all with the new f300 version. when i use my isospeed multi set up i do not get the spin generation i get with my kirshbaum pro line II set up but the control for flat ball hitting is still great and i love the "pop" sound that I get with the isospeed set up.

that reminds me - the new f300 tour does hanve more of a "ping" sound than the older version. not annoying or loud but definitely more metallic sounding then the regular bio 300 tour.

tom4ny
10-18-2012, 02:10 AM
your current string choice seems like a good one to me. i like a softer poly and play with a full bed of pro line II but i definitely suggest a 17g string. 2 multi's i like in this frame are isospeed professional classic and isospeed energetic 17. i also drop the cross tension by 3#'s.

i failed to mention kirsbaum pro line x which is a little livelier and even more spin then pro line II. they say it also has better longevity but i cannot speak to that aspect yet.

next on deck for me is kirshbaum spiky shark 17 which i suspect will be more spin friendly but crisper than what i prefer.

robbo1970
10-18-2012, 04:43 AM

A Bio Max200G isnt far off the same spec. Just a thought if you like 16x19.

GenesisTurbo
10-18-2012, 08:30 AM
tom4ny TW is having a deal on Spiky Shark $24 for 4 sets, that's $6 a set...
That's an unbeatable price i might go and pick up 4 sets myself.

tom4ny
10-18-2012, 09:28 AM
tom4ny TW is having a deal on Spiky Shark $24 for 4 sets, that's $6 a set...
That's an unbeatable price i might go and pick up 4 sets myself.

that is a great deal and given your current set up, this may be a good one for you to try. i have not played with spiky shark yet but i know from others that it plays firmer than pro line II and X which i have played. kirshbaum makes some really nice strings. i like their multi and hybrid offerings as well but i really like the low power and softness of the pro line II series. if you want a crisper string with monster spin then spiky shark is better. i would still go with the 17g though.

GenesisTurbo
10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the reply back tom4ny

tom4ny
10-19-2012, 02:36 AM
the new bio f300 tour is a fast swinging racquet with a lively crisp stringbed. the ball comes off of the string bed quickly and you get easier power than the previous bio 300 tour but i am not convinced that the overall power level is better. it is definitely a melding of a babolat aero pro drive into a comfortable dunlop like package. the dimples on the new aero skin are different but it is very head light balance that allows one to swing this frame fast. spin generation is definitely better and the upper hoop "dead" feel is fixed from the earlier version. the other are where i see an immediate improvement is on volleys. the old bio 300 tour is good at volleys too, especially with lead added, but the new f300 is awesome even without lead.

i definitely feel more flex in the frame and better ball dwell time with the previous bio 300 tour. control is slightly better with the old version too but both frames are control rackets. both frames are solid and can handle heavy hitting. i am hitting a slightly heavier flatter ball with the bio 300 tour and get some better angles. the new f300 tour allows me to swing out with confidence and keep the ball in play even though the trajectory of my shots is higher than the bio 300 tour. the new f 300 tour is easier to play with than the bio 300 tour.

it definitely comes down to whether one prefers a more "modern" feel with more spin or a more "traditional" feel and more control.

tom4ny
10-29-2012, 06:42 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/DF30T/DF30TReview.html

Chris does a great job comparing the F300 tour to the Bio 300 tour.

i am adding lead to the F300 tour as well as a head hydrosorb grip. this will give me an apples to apples comparison to my Bio 300 tour set up. i think that the new version has better arm protection even though it feels more 'crisp'. will be playing wednesday depending on hurricane damage.

Broly4
10-29-2012, 08:26 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/DF30T/DF30TReview.html

Chris does a great job comparing the F300 tour to the Bio 300 tour.

i am adding lead to the F300 tour as well as a head hydrosorb grip. this will give me an apples to apples comparison to my Bio 300 tour set up. i think that the new version has better arm protection even though it feels more 'crisp'. will be playing wednesday depending on hurricane damage.

Control=7 Andy?? Lower than the mark you gave to the Head Extreme "rocket launcher" pro 2.0, you know better

Amp1
10-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Not sure why the racket is not getting more reviews. Maybe it's the end of the season and racket buying is done.

I upgraded to the new 3.0F after playing with 300 tour for 3 months. Have to say the upgrade is worth it. Playing with excel 16 and really liking it. Full multi may be a bit too much power on this racket, but really liking it so far.

Have been play testing rackets all of this year, and so far played with Prestige mp, radical mp, speed mp, formula 100, rebel 98 and finally settled on 300 tour.

This racket is a great balance between using a players racket to swing through and getting enough power to keep opponents on defense.

Formula 100 and rebel 98 are good rackets, but don't get the satisfaction of swinging through to generate my own power with these two.

People who liked Speed, but find it too harsh, will find this a great upgrade. If you play with radical, but need something more manuravable or a bit more power, this is a great option.

tom4ny
12-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Not sure why the racket is not getting more reviews. Maybe it's the end of the season and racket buying is done.

I upgraded to the new 3.0F after playing with 300 tour for 3 months. Have to say the upgrade is worth it. Playing with excel 16 and really liking it. Full multi may be a bit too much power on this racket, but really liking it so far.

Have been play testing rackets all of this year, and so far played with Prestige mp, radical mp, speed mp, formula 100, rebel 98 and finally settled on 300 tour.

This racket is a great balance between using a players racket to swing through and getting enough power to keep opponents on defense.

Formula 100 and rebel 98 are good rackets, but don't get the satisfaction of swinging through to generate my own power with these two.

People who liked Speed, but find it too harsh, will find this a great upgrade. If you play with radical, but need something more manuravable or a bit more power, this is a great option.

I agree with you on all counts Amp1 but for now I am sticking with my Bio 300 tours. The initial string job that I got from TW when I ordered my F3.0 was off and it was strung around 60 lbs when I had requested 55. I had it restrung by my local pro and now have the same set up as my Bio 300 tours with Isospeed Professional Classic at 55/52 and 4 grams of lead in the upper hoop.

The new frame design on the F3.0 tour fixed the dead feeling of the upper hoop on the Bio version. It is more stable, has a more lively string bed, and the sweet spot is a little bigger and raised higher. Still, a little lead in the upper hoop helps me on serve and provides a little more power. I do think that the Bio 300 tour, when you hit the sweetspot has more power than the new F3.0 tour, but the F3.0 tour has a bigger sweetspot and a snappy livelier stringbed. The F3.0 tour is also better at dampening shock.

Both are great frames but they play slightly differently.

tom4ny
12-20-2012, 10:26 AM
the new F3.0 tour does have kind of a metallic "ping" sound when you hit the ball. At first I thought that it may have been the poly strings but even with a multi in, it sounds that way to me. With the same stings in my Bio 300 tour, it is more of a "pop" sound.

a minor issue but noticeable.

roundiesee
12-20-2012, 11:59 PM
How does the old 4D 300 Tour stack up against the Bio 300 Tour and the F3.0 Tour?

tom4ny
12-21-2012, 04:33 AM
How does the old 4D 300 Tour stack up against the Bio 300 Tour and the F3.0 Tour?

less power, more sluggish through the air but no slouch either, better feel - more flex.

they are all really great frames but with each generation the frame has gotten a little stiffer with a bit more power but less feel. the F 3.0 tour is the most different in feel and the ball comes off of the stringbed faster. the 4D 300 is the most classic in the feel department

Blitzball
12-21-2012, 07:34 AM
I feel like the Bio Tour was similar to the Blade or Radical MP spec-wise and playwise. It really let my one handed backhand shine too, and the switch to the F3.0 Tour, which is a stick somewhere inbetween the Bio Tour and Aero Pro Drive, actually hindered my consistency with its crazy pop. I hit flat too, and I was hitting a lot of erratic shots from the baseline. AND I felt the F3.0 got pushed around too easily and even lacked plow through on defensive shots, which aggravated me during my sets. I'm 4.0, and maybe too dependent on the racquet for enhancing my game, so it's probably just me sucking but I've been kind of let down by the F3.0 tour so far. Except on serve, it's really good on serve.

JackB1
12-21-2012, 08:09 AM
less power, more sluggish through the air but no slouch either, better feel - more flex.

they are all really great frames but with each generation the frame has gotten a little stiffer with a bit more power but less feel. the F 3.0 tour is the most different in feel and the ball comes off of the stringbed faster. the 4D 300 is the most classic in the feel department

agree.....I loved the feel of the 4D 300 and 4D 300T. Nice flex and sweetspot hits feel very nice. There is something off to me with the new Dunlops...they just have a "tinny" and "hollow" feel to me and the sweetspot seems really small in feel.

tom4ny
12-21-2012, 09:07 AM
I feel like the Bio Tour was similar to the Blade or Radical MP spec-wise and playwise. It really let my one handed backhand shine too, and the switch to the F3.0 Tour, which is a stick somewhere inbetween the Bio Tour and Aero Pro Drive, actually hindered my consistency with its crazy pop. I hit flat too, and I was hitting a lot of erratic shots from the baseline. AND I felt the F3.0 got pushed around too easily and even lacked plow through on defensive shots, which aggravated me during my sets. I'm 4.0, and maybe too dependent on the racquet for enhancing my game, so it's probably just me sucking but I've been kind of let down by the F3.0 tour so far. Except on serve, it's really good on serve.

I hit very flat and I find the Bio 300 tour better suited for my style of strokes, particularly my 1hbh. The sweetspot does feel larger to me on the F 3.0 tour and it is also higher up but the sweetspot on the bio 300 is sweeter. The Bio tour (with lead) just seems more solid to me but the F 3.0 tour is snappier to the ball and more crisp. Do you use 17g strings? I find that it really helps with these dunlops especially on the Bio version.

acura9927
12-21-2012, 10:37 AM
A lot of players say the 4D 300 Tour is better than the Bio 300T. This has convinced to get one used, cant resist the urge to test it out.

tom4ny
12-22-2012, 02:03 PM
my hitting partner says that I hit a better ball with the F3.0 Tour and seem to play better. I am not yet dialed in on serve but am circling back around on this frame. I usually take a few months before I switch to a new frame so this is not unusual for me. I am think though that ball quality is winning is more important than feel.

Pneumated1
12-22-2012, 04:05 PM
my hitting partner says that I hit a better ball with the F3.0 Tour and seem to play better. I am not yet dialed in on serve but am circling back around on this frame. I usually take a few months before I switch to a new frame so this is not unusual for me. I am think though that ball quality is winning is more important than feel.

I demoed the frame this week, and I believe that this is the best 300 Tour that I've hit. I covered the bumper with head tape and ran 1/8" wide lead, 6" long, from the end of the bumper, down just past 3/9. I could feel just a hint of flex in the frame with the added weight. The "feel" is stiff, yet it seems to be a very arm friendly frame, almost as if the construction and geometry of the frame create the stiffness, not the layup.

I'm a big fan of very flexible frames, so this one responds a tad too stiff for me to consider. It's very crisp, controlled, with improved pop. I actually got a lot more rpm's and bite on the ball with the F 3.0 Tour than I did with the M 3.0. The latter frame I think Dunlop has done a disservice to by consistently making it stiffer. Keep the new geometry, just soften it, if possible.

tom4ny
12-23-2012, 02:20 AM
I demoed the frame this week, and I believe that this is the best 300 Tour that I've hit. I covered the bumper with head tape and ran 1/8" wide lead, 6" long, from the end of the bumper, down just past 3/9. I could feel just a hint of flex in the frame with the added weight. The "feel" is stiff, yet it seems to be a very arm friendly frame, almost as if the construction and geometry of the frame create the stiffness, not the layup.

I'm a big fan of very flexible frames, so this one responds a tad too stiff for me to consider. It's very crisp, controlled, with improved pop. I actually got a lot more rpm's and bite on the ball with the F 3.0 Tour than I did with the M 3.0. The latter frame I think Dunlop has done a disservice to by consistently making it stiffer. Keep the new geometry, just soften it, if possible.

Hey P1! Thanks as always for your input!! I understand what you are saying. Though I felt that the racket was fairly stable and that Dunlop had resolved the dead upper hoop issue with this version I felt that it played even better with lead added. I am running 1/4" lead tape from 10:00-2:00 and I have replaced the stock grip with a heavier synthetic but no added lead underneath.

The new F3.0 definitely is crisp and the ball comes off the stringbed fast. It is stiff but I find it very arm friendly. The stringbed to me behaves a lot like my Volkl x10 295. It is very fast and lively.

The Bio 300 tour feels nicer and you get better ball pocketing. I am really dialed in on serve with this frame and I can hit a flatter ball on all shots. The smaller sweetspot is also more plush.

I have always preferred the old school or traditional feel of a frame but in time I may be switching over to the "modern" camp.

I have not playtested the M version. Sorry to hear that it feels even stiffer as I felt that the Bio 300 was to stiff for my liking.

Have a great holiday :)

Pneumated1
12-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Hey P1! Thanks as always for your input!! I understand what you are saying. Though I felt that the racket was fairly stable and that Dunlop had resolved the dead upper hoop issue with this version I felt that it played even better with lead added. I am running 1/4" lead tape from 10:00-2:00 and I have replaced the stock grip with a heavier synthetic but no added lead underneath.

The new F3.0 definitely is crisp and the ball comes off the stringbed fast. It is stiff but I find it very arm friendly. The stringbed to me behaves a lot like my Volkl x10 295. It is very fast and lively.

The Bio 300 tour feels nicer and you get better ball pocketing. I am really dialed in on serve with this frame and I can hit a flatter ball on all shots. The smaller sweetspot is also more plush.

I have always preferred the old school or traditional feel of a frame but in time I may be switching over to the "modern" camp.

I have not playtested the M version. Sorry to hear that it feels even stiffer as I felt that the Bio 300 was to stiff for my liking.

Have a great holiday :)

Hey Tom. Undoubtedly, Dunlop has created a very stable frame and resolved the upper-hoop issues. Having played the frame, I think that the inherent stability would allow me to strip the 1/8" lead and just keep the head tape covering the bumper. Racquet head speed is at a premium, in order to keep up with the lightning response off the stringbed, so the lighter the better, imo. As I stated, the RPM's that I was getting on the ball was impressive.

You're dead on the money with the comparison to the X-295. They're both incredibly stable and crisp for their weights, but I would choose the F 3.0 Tour every day. There's just something about the feel and weight distribution of a Dunlop 300 in the hand that few other racquets can match.

There are still a few more flexible options that I would choose over this F 3.0 Tour at this point, but like you, if I were to give in to the modern trends, this would likely be where I would start. Great frame!

And I just want to state that the M 3.0 is a great frame as well, and I'm not sure if it's stiffer than the Bio. 300 or not. Again, it may be the frame geometry that just exudes different characteristics. Here again, I could hit this one as well, but I would definitely string them looser than these demos.

And while I know that these losses have been painful for you, I have to say thanks to the Giants for keeping my Cowboy's hopes alive. Maybe we can take care of business next week in DC.

Merry Christmas!

hoodjem
12-24-2012, 08:56 AM
A Bio Max200G isnt far off the same spec. Just a thought if you like 16x19.Got one. Thanks.

JackB1
12-24-2012, 09:33 AM

interesting. I agree is is very stiff feeling compared to prior year models.
Do you think the M and the F 3.0 are similar except for slight weight differences and pattern difference?. I don't understand why all the praise has been for the F and zero is said about the M?
Are you saying you get just as much spin with the F as with the more open M?

Pneumated1
12-24-2012, 12:52 PM
interesting. I agree is is very stiff feeling compared to prior year models.
Do you think the M and the F 3.0 are similar except for slight weight differences and pattern difference?. I don't understand why all the praise has been for the F and zero is said about the M?
Are you saying you get just as much spin with the F as with the more open M?

In the hand they feel similar, and they swing similar, but I think that's where similarities end. I picked up on a very stiff hoop in both, but the Tour is a fraction softer, and somewhere in the frame, either tip or throat, there's a hint of flex.

I sensed that the M 3.0 pockets the ball slightly better, as would be expected with the open string pattern, which was obvious with the same string and what felt to be the same tension. But the M 3.0 is definitely stiffer.

Therefore, the M 3.0, at least for me, launched the ball longer before biting the court, whereas the F 3.0 produced noticeably more revolutions and bit much more quickly. I've always hit more spin with a tight string pattern and more of a driving ball with an open pattern. That's where the stiffness of the M 3.0, and its quick release, had me hitting long. And if I didn't stay on the gas with the F 3.0, my spinny balls were falling short or catching the tape.

I really like the new frame geometry of the M 3.0 but wish it was in the 62-63 stiffness category, to slow the response down just a bit. Strings may make a difference there; I don't know.

JackB1
12-24-2012, 01:06 PM
In the hand they feel similar, and they swing similar, but I think that's where similarities end. I picked up on a very stiff hoop in both, but the Tour is a fraction softer, and somewhere in the frame, either tip or throat, there's a hint of flex.

I sensed that the M 3.0 pockets the ball slightly better, as would be expected with the open string pattern, which was obvious with the same string and what felt to be the same tension. But the M 3.0 is definitely stiffer.

Therefore, the M 3.0, at least for me, launched the ball longer before biting the court, whereas the F 3.0 produced noticeably more revolutions and bit much more quickly. I've always hit more spin with a tight string pattern and more of a driving ball with an open pattern. That's where the stiffness of the M 3.0, and its quick release, had me hitting long. And if I didn't stay on the gas with the F 3.0, my spinny balls were falling short or catching the tape.

I really like the new frame geometry of the M 3.0 but wish it was in the 62-63 stiffness category, to slow the response down just a bit. Strings may make a difference there; I don't know.

thanks for your take....I am not sure why nether of these racquets are generating much discussion on these forums. It seems like Dunlop lost a lot of its following the last couple of years. I think the move to the Biomimetic line started this downturn?

tom4ny
12-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Hey Tom. Undoubtedly, Dunlop has created a very stable frame and resolved the upper-hoop issues. Having played the frame, I think that the inherent stability would allow me to strip the 1/8" lead and just keep the head tape covering the bumper. Racquet head speed is at a premium, in order to keep up with the lightning response off the stringbed, so the lighter the better, imo. As I stated, the RPM's that I was getting on the ball was impressive.

You're dead on the money with the comparison to the X-295. They're both incredibly stable and crisp for their weights, but I would choose the F 3.0 Tour every day. There's just something about the feel and weight distribution of a Dunlop 300 in the hand that few other racquets can match.

There are still a few more flexible options that I would choose over this F 3.0 Tour at this point, but like you, if I were to give in to the modern trends, this would likely be where I would start. Great frame!

And I just want to state that the M 3.0 is a great frame as well, and I'm not sure if it's stiffer than the Bio. 300 or not. Again, it may be the frame geometry that just exudes different characteristics. Here again, I could hit this one as well, but I would definitely string them looser than these demos.

And while I know that these losses have been painful for you, I have to say thanks to the Giants for keeping my Cowboy's hopes alive. Maybe we can take care of business next week in DC.

Merry Christmas!

well we will find out today if your cowboys make it! both ny teams are horrible this year but the jets have the bigger problems. i was always more of a giants fan going back to the 80's. i am not sure about tony romo being the right qb but i always liked the cowboys too!

i am playing well with the F3.0 no doubt and it is better on defensive shots but i still think that i am staying with my bio 300 tours for now. i just like the very oval head shape and the control. the F3.0 is more powerful. i had been tinkering with lead tape at 2:10 and 3:9 but went back to just covering the dunlop lettering up top. when i tried at 3:12:9 it was too powerful. i also hit again with the frame stock and probably would be fine in most cases just going this route. on my bio 300 tours the lead is needed, on the F3.0 it is not needed.

they supposedly are coming out with an F3.0 classic with the new materials but the older headshape and frame. i will probably wait and try that one as well.

i have 2 bio 300's and they feel a little stiffer than my bio 300 tours so it looks like they continued that trend with the new line. i could play with the bio 300 but prefer the 18x20 stringbed and the slightly softer feeling of the tour version.

happy new year :)

JackB1
12-30-2012, 02:28 PM
I tried a few more of the new Dunlops and they ALL have the same impact feeling which I don't really care for. The F and M 3.0, the M 6.0. I don't know how to describe the feel, but it feels like the frame is made of balsa wood or something. It's not a "solid" nice feel, like the previous models had.

tom4ny
12-30-2012, 02:47 PM
I tried a few more of the new Dunlops and they ALL have the same impact feeling which I don't really care for. The F and M 3.0, the M 6.0. I don't know how to describe the feel, but it feels like the frame is made of balsa wood or something. It's not a "solid" nice feel, like the previous models had.

the new frame geometry definitely gives a different feel I agree with you. but the new F3.0 does feel solid to me in that it doesnt feel hollow but it definitely does not have the feel of the bio 300t or 4d versions. you don't get that flex and ball dwell time but the frame is snappier and the stringbed is livelier with the new version. you also get a larger sweetspot on the new version but overall it doest feel as sweet as my bio 300 tour.

still i have to say that i can hit some great shots with the new F3.0 and that the power level has definitely been increased. i know that you dont like the feel of the new frames but how did you play with them?

tlm
12-30-2012, 03:16 PM
To me the 300 is kinda dead and lower powered, although some may prefer that. I demoed both and to me the f300 is much better.

acura9927
12-30-2012, 04:10 PM

Try the Bio 400 Tour with a soft multi. Plenty of feel and power, better than any Babolat I have ever demoed for response. I currently have Rip Control 16 half tension and really great feel to it.

JackB1
12-30-2012, 04:21 PM
the new frame geometry definitely gives a different feel I agree with you. but the new F3.0 does feel solid to me in that it doesnt feel hollow but it definitely does not have the feel of the bio 300t or 4d versions. you don't get that flex and ball dwell time but the frame is snappier and the stringbed is livelier with the new version. you also get a larger sweetspot on the new version but overall it doest feel as sweet as my bio 300 tour.

still i have to say that i can hit some great shots with the new F3.0 and that the power level has definitely been increased. i know that you dont like the feel of the new frames but how did you play with them?

I played OK with the M 3.0, but was just too turned off by the weird feel. I agree the new frames are more powerful and lively, but that can be gotten with strings and tension adjustments. I also don't agree that the sweetspot is larger, but that could just be my lack of skill. I was really looking forward to the M 3.0 and am quite disappointed in it. Also, why is nobody talking n
about the M 3.0? 100% of the good comments are all about the F 3.0?

acura9927
12-30-2012, 04:56 PM
The Bio 400 Tour with Rip 16 at half tension is the best Dunlop I have tried out of the Bio line and I have tried a lot. Nice controlled power and the Rip String lets you take a nice swing and keep it in play. I had to get adjusted from the the god awful powerful Silk string to low powered RIP, now it feel just right. Great spin and feel.

tom4ny
12-31-2012, 02:48 AM
I played OK with the M 3.0, but was just too turned off by the weird feel. I agree the new frames are more powerful and lively, but that can be gotten with strings and tension adjustments. I also don't agree that the sweetspot is larger, but that could just be my lack of skill. I was really looking forward to the M 3.0 and am quite disappointed in it. Also, why is nobody talking n
about the M 3.0? 100% of the good comments are all about the F 3.0?

I understand what you are saying and feel is important. Like the Volkl Organix when it first came out I was initially turned off by the feel of the new Dunlop F3.0. It was also generating a loud "ping" sound from the poly strings (which I later found out was string too tight by TW).

The thing is that my groundstrokes with the F3.0 tour were deep and spinny and I loved how the frame handles hard volleys. It also seemed easier to play with, or more "user friendly" than my bio 300 tour. Still, I was ready to put it aside. Until my hitting partner commented on how well I was playing and how difficult some of my shots were. So that has kept me working with the new frame and I have gotten more used to the new "feel".

I will try the M3.0 down the road for fun and to compare to my Bio 300. I think that the tour series has been the better frame for the 300 series for the last 3 versions but that is me. The TW review I am sure has some influence as well.

The new design from Dunlop is not going to be for everyone and if you like the old school feel of the older series then the new series is going to disappoint. At the same time I think that Dunlop has really got something here with a "modern" frame in the F3.0 tour. Any Babolat Aero Storm and even Aero Pro GT user looking for more control and comfort should look at the F3.0 tour. That is who is being targeted with this frame. I think that a 3.0 or 3.5 level player can use it where with the Bio 300 tour I would say better suited for 4.0 and above.

tom4ny
01-03-2013, 04:29 AM
well after a month or so of play testing and using the F3.0 tour a lot the past week I have decided to switch to this frame. it is a new feel for dunlop, crisp and fast feeling frame but my shots are better and overall I play better with the F3.0 tour than I do with my modified biomimetic 300 tours. i honestly did not think that i would switch and if I based my decision on feel and my initial impressions I would not but based on the results of the past few weeks it is a no brainer.

I do believe that this F3.0 tour is an awesome frame. I have gone back to stock form to maximize rhs and the frame is plenty stable for me.

hoodjem
01-03-2013, 09:30 AM
A Bio Max200G isnt far off the same spec. Just a thought if you like 16x19.Yes, I do. And I have a nice 200 Max that I got a sweet deal off the classifieds here at TW.

Alas, winter has intervened, so I have not been able to hit with it yet.

RollTrackTake
02-02-2013, 05:55 PM
well after a month or so of play testing and using the F3.0 tour a lot the past week I have decided to switch to this frame. it is a new feel for dunlop, crisp and fast feeling frame but my shots are better and overall I play better with the F3.0 tour than I do with my modified biomimetic 300 tours. i honestly did not think that i would switch and if I based my decision on feel and my initial impressions I would not but based on the results of the past few weeks it is a no brainer.

I do believe that this F3.0 tour is an awesome frame. I have gone back to stock form to maximize rhs and the frame is plenty stable for me.

I'm thinking about trying the F3.0 Tour out because I'm looking for an 18x20 frame. Tom you seem to know this racquet well. Can you compare it to a Wilson Blade, Head Radical or Bab PSGT?

tom4ny
02-03-2013, 01:53 AM
I'm thinking about trying the F3.0 Tour out because I'm looking for an 18x20 frame. Tom you seem to know this racquet well. Can you compare it to a Wilson Blade, Head Radical or Bab PSGT?

The F3.0 tour is now my frame and I have been fully switched over now since the beginning of the year. I was reluctant to switch because the feel is not what I was used to but I am playing great and switching has impacted my game for the better.

I can only compare this frame to the older versions of the blade and radical. I have not played with the bab psgt, sorry. The blade has more plow through but the F3.o is faster through the air and hits just as heavy of a ball. It is very easy to accelerate the racket and it is more powerful than the youtek radical (last radical I hit with). These are all great control frames but it is amazing how much spin you get with the F3.0 tour. It is much better than the blade or radical and even the bio 300 tour that I switch from.

The biggest difference is that the F3.0 tour is a "modern" frame. It lacks the nice feel and ball dwell time of these others frame and there is very little flex though you will feel some if you string at 56 lbs or below. Mine are at 55#. The stringbed is livelier and snappier and you can whip the F3.0 tour fast enabling some very spinny and penetrating shots. In that way it is similar to the bab aero pro drive but it feels better and has much better arm protection. The closest frame to this as far as playability is the volkl x10 295 but with that one I would add some lead, this one is awesome in stock form.

I like the blade and radical but the F3.0 tour does everything just a little better for me. I almost didnt switch because of the feel but I am glad that I stuck with it.

grom_vam
02-03-2013, 05:01 AM
great posts. It is very helpful.

tom4ny
02-03-2013, 05:40 AM
just to add to the above: if you swing fast and have a more loopy follow through then you get a heavier ball with the F3.0. If you swing out in front in a more traditional way (hit more flattish) then the blx blade hits a heavier ball. the youtek radical is the flexiest most lower powered of the three. i think that all are great control all-court frames.

ccmtennis
02-03-2013, 05:46 AM
I completely agree with tony and number of post here. I also came close leaving this due to its unique feel but although it is muted and feels rather stiff in your hand it somehow does translate to a very comfy ride. Even when strung with a full poly like booklet cyclone 17g it was very nice and great feel for a poly complements this too. Compared to the radical and blades it certainly has more power and spin production. Whippy like a pstgt but has more plow. 3 g of lead at 10 and 2 makes it even better. I am getting another soon but will try it with a leather grip

RollTrackTake
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
thanks for the input. I really want to try an 18x20 that has better control than my 16x19 frames but doesn't sacrifice a great deal of power. I've hit the Microgel Radical and the Donnay Pro 1 18x20 and came away unimpressed. With the Microgel Rad I could swing out and keep everything in the court but power was minimal for me. The Donnay Pro 1 18x20 just didn't feel right.
So I'm considering the F 3.0 Tour, Blade 18x20, TF 315 Ltd. and the Dunlop Bio 200 Plus. The F 3.0 Tour and the TF 315 Ltd are frontrunners now because I'd rather err on the lighter side SW wise. But I will be demoing the new Blade just to try it out. I may even grab a pink one if there are any left in the next couple days.

Where would you guys rate the control level? Or how does the control compare with other frames you've played with?

tom4ny
02-04-2013, 07:25 AM
thanks for the input. I really want to try an 18x20 that has better control than my 16x19 frames but doesn't sacrifice a great deal of power. I've hit the Microgel Radical and the Donnay Pro 1 18x20 and came away unimpressed. With the Microgel Rad I could swing out and keep everything in the court but power was minimal for me. The Donnay Pro 1 18x20 just didn't feel right.
So I'm considering the F 3.0 Tour, Blade 18x20, TF 315 Ltd. and the Dunlop Bio 200 Plus. The F 3.0 Tour and the TF 315 Ltd are frontrunners now because I'd rather err on the lighter side SW wise. But I will be demoing the new Blade just to try it out. I may even grab a pink one if there are any left in the next couple days.

Where would you guys rate the control level? Or how does the control compare with other frames you've played with?

Interesting that you did not like the donnay pro 1. What didn't feel right about it?

The F3.0 tour has the most power of all the frames that you have listed but it also has the best spin of the 18x20 frames above. You might also want to add the TF 305 to your list as well as the Volkl x10-295. The latter is 16x19 but very much a control oriented frame. The Dunlop is the most "modern" of all the frames while the others are more classic in their feel (Volkl x10-295 exception, it is modern as well).

In my opinion the control on all of these frames is excellent. The Bio 300 tour also had awesome directional control but the upper hoop needs some lead. All of the frames that you list have a consistent response and stringbed. Except for the TF315 and the Volkl I would recommend a 17g string and you should be good to go. It will come down to feel and what best matches your playing style as I think that any of those are excellent choices.

RollTrackTake
02-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Interesting that you did not like the donnay pro 1. What didn't feel right about it?

I probably used the wrong words there. its a comfy frame that feels good/solid. I've found that with 18x20 frames I need to generate more RHS to get the same depth and 'weight' behind my shots. With the Pro 1 18x20 I had a hard time doing that consistently. the 16x19 Pro 1 has so much power I don't have to swing out to hit heavy shots consistently.

With the TF 315 delayed I've ordered the F3.0 Tour demo along with the Youtek IG Rad MP. I narrowed it down to those 2 to give them each more court time. Not sure if either will convince me to switch & become a believer in 18/20's but who knows.

RollTrackTake
02-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Got a chance to hit with an F3.0 Tour tonight. It was strung with Volkl Cyclone Tour at 50lbs. I will echo some of the sentiments already stated in this thread in that the F3.0 Tour has a different feel to it compared to the Dunlop AG 300 i have. In the TW review they refer to it as crisp/muted. To me it felt somewhat disconnected from the ball. Yet once i got used to it I was hitting some really solid balls. I didn't really like the feel of the racquet but I played well with it. The power level was good. I liked the control the 18x20 string pattern offered. Slice serves were really good. Flat serves were good as well. I like the weight and layup of the racquet. The one thing that concerns me is that after playing 2 sets my elbow is is feeling a little discomfort. I'm going to keep testing it over the next 4 weeks to see how it goes. I may try to string it up with a multi around 58lbs to see if i still have elbow pain. Good racquet overall, but its not love at first hit.

LeeD
02-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Spec and comments make it appear the F3T is similar in play with the old HeadLMRadMids, which I have two of and dislike the stiff hoop at the top.

tom4ny
02-22-2013, 02:02 AM
Spec and comments make it appear the F3T is similar in play with the old HeadLMRadMids, which I have two of and dislike the stiff hoop at the top.

it is a stiff hoop at the top i think by design to fix some of the issues with the prior model. there is a little flex in the throat of the F3.0 tour and it is very arm friendly but the feel is totally different from prior models. the ball comes off of the strings faster so you do not feel that nice dwell time and you do not get the nice flex of even the bio 300 tour. it is just a different feeling frame that is why i did not want to switch but i could not deny that it plays awesome and is an improvement in that regard.

RollTrackTake
02-22-2013, 07:42 AM
it is a stiff hoop at the top i think by design to fix some of the issues with the prior model. there is a little flex in the throat of the F3.0 tour and it is very arm friendly but the feel is totally different from prior models. the ball comes off of the strings faster so you do not feel that nice dwell time and you do not get the nice flex of even the bio 300 tour. it is just a different feeling frame that is why i did not want to switch but i could not deny that it plays awesome and is an improvement in that regard.

What string setups have worked best & worst for you? Morning after my 2 sets and my elbow is still slightly tender. I did mishit several times.

tom4ny
02-22-2013, 10:17 AM
What string setups have worked best & worst for you? Morning after my 2 sets and my elbow is still slightly tender. I did mishit several times.

are you using the F3.0 or the Bio 300 tour?

While the F3.0 feels stiffer, I find it to be more arm friendly than the Bio 300 tour. I prefer low powered multi's and really like Isospeed Professional Classic in both of these frames. It is a 17g though so if for more durability but less spin and liveliness there is Isospeed Control Classic. On both frames I do not string higher than 55 lbs as they just seem to play better at lower tensions. I can play with a full bed of co-poly like Kirshbaum PL2 but over months I started to feel it in my forearm when I was lifting at the gym so I went back to Isospeed. On the F3.0 tour I have gone up to 60 lbs and hated it at that tension. It was like a different racket. I prefer the Isospeed to Dunlop Silk. The newer versions of Professional and Control are even softer but may feel too gummy and they initially drop tension. All of these strings should be pre-stretched. That is what my stringer does for me.

MomentumGT
02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
it is definitely a melding of a babolat aero pro drive into a comfortable dunlop like package.

i definitely feel more flex in the frame and better ball dwell time with the previous bio 300 tour. control is slightly better with the old version too but both frames are control rackets. both frames are solid and can handle heavy hitting.

it definitely comes down to whether one prefers a more "modern" feel with more spin or a more "traditional" feel and more control.

Would you compare the feel of the f300t to that of say a Kblade 98 or blxblade 98? Similar in performance?

-Jon

tom4ny
02-22-2013, 11:10 AM
I have played with the blx blade and it has more plow through but the F3.0 hits with much more spin and has great power. They both serve great but the power from the F3.0 tour comes from racquet head speed. The F3.0 tour is more arm friendly and the string bed is snappier. The BLX Blade feels better and more traditional but also more sluggish. They are both great frames imo and both are control frames but they do play differently. Both hit a heavy ball but the F3.0 has a higher trajectory. The Blade is more stable stock form but the F3.0 is very stable.

RollTrackTake
02-22-2013, 06:06 PM
are you using the F3.0 or the Bio 300 tour?

While the F3.0 feels stiffer, I find it to be more arm friendly than the Bio 300 tour. I prefer low powered multi's and really like Isospeed Professional Classic in both of these frames. It is a 17g though so if for more durability but less spin and liveliness there is Isospeed Control Classic. On both frames I do not string higher than 55 lbs as they just seem to play better at lower tensions. I can play with a full bed of co-poly like Kirshbaum PL2 but over months I started to feel it in my forearm when I was lifting at the gym so I went back to Isospeed. On the F3.0 tour I have gone up to 60 lbs and hated it at that tension. It was like a different racket. I prefer the Isospeed to Dunlop Silk. The newer versions of Professional and Control are even softer but may feel too gummy and they initially drop tension. All of these strings should be pre-stretched. That is what my stringer does for me.

I'm using an F3.0 Tour. I've never used Volkl Cyclone Tour before so I have no history with this string. In my Donnay Pro 1 I mainly use Dunlop Black Widow strung at 56lbs. After reading the TW review of Cyclone Tour I felt safe stringing the Cyclone Tour at 50lbs. Again, I'll try a multi like Rip Control or Premier Attack in a full bed next. If it still plays mediocre I'll give it one more shot with a hybrid.

tom4ny
02-22-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm using an F3.0 Tour. I've never used Volkl Cyclone Tour before so I have no history with this string. In my Donnay Pro 1 I mainly use Dunlop Black Widow strung at 56lbs. After reading the TW review of Cyclone Tour I felt safe stringing the Cyclone Tour at 50lbs. Again, I'll try a multi like Rip Control or Premier Attack in a full bed next. If it still plays mediocre I'll give it one more shot with a hybrid.

I like PPA a lot and would play with it if I didn't like the Isospeed so much. Cyclone is what I would call a soft co-poly and you did have it strung at what i would call a safe tension also. You will probably do best with a full bed of multi on this frame and you will still get a lot of spin for an 18x20. Sorry to hear that the cyclone didnt work out as it is a good string.

Hominator
02-23-2013, 03:53 AM

I string all my F 3.0 Tours with Black Widow at 56 on a crank machine. Plays fantastic for me. I've tried other polys, but none have the power, spin, feel, and comfort as this setup. If you already like Black Widow, perhaps try it in this frame.

Federerkblade
02-23-2013, 07:42 AM
any chance of a video of you playing with the frame Tom4ny

RollTrackTake
02-23-2013, 11:40 AM
I string all my F 3.0 Tours with Black Widow at 56 on a crank machine. Plays fantastic for me. I've tried other polys, but none have the power, spin, feel, and comfort as this setup. If you already like Black Widow, perhaps try it in this frame.

good call. will do

tom4ny
02-24-2013, 05:10 AM
any chance of a video of you playing with the frame Tom4ny

I do not have a video camera but probably could borrow one. I've never posted a video of myself to you tube and would need to think if I want to do that. Is there something in particular that you are looking to see in a video of me itting with it?

I hit with an eastern fh and 1hbh and play traditional all court style with more of a flat stroke but my follow through finishes across my body. I am guessing that is where you are going with this. I will look into and think about the video.

Federerkblade
03-09-2013, 02:31 PM
the reason is i did just wanted to see how the ball reacts and the sound and trajectory

i currently use the the pro open would like to change

MrFlynntastic
03-11-2013, 04:35 AM
:( Arm Probs with the new f3.0
Super bummed. Have it strung with poly mains 56 & nat gut X's 54.
Love the playability of this settup but I have developed medial pain in my elbow. It comes from serving.
I've tried leading the frame up to 12oz mostly at 10/2 & 9/3.
Going to try a full bed of gut at 50lbs.
Any other recommendations?

Federerkblade
03-11-2013, 04:47 AM
why not gut main and poly cross

neverstopplaying
03-11-2013, 02:22 PM
:( Arm Probs with the new f3.0
Super bummed. Have it strung with poly mains 56 & nat gut X's 54.
Love the playability of this settup but I have developed medial pain in my elbow. It comes from serving.
I've tried leading the frame up to 12oz mostly at 10/2 & 9/3.
Going to try a full bed of gut at 50lbs.
Any other recommendations?

a few things to consider:
most players put gut in the mains and poly in the crosses = better feel
you should string poly 10% lower, not the gut
your overall tension for 18x20 is quite high

I'm playing with an 18x20 Blade with gut poly at 52/48. I also just bought a f 3.0 T but didnt try yet.

LeeD
03-11-2013, 02:27 PM
I bought a Bio300T couple weeks ago.
Got to hit 5 groundies with a F3, maybe non tour (not as many strings).
New racket was much stiffer, especially up high, had tighter strings of course, than my 50, felt heavier with more SW, but swung pretty easily overall, but maybe not as fast.
I"ve since weighted my Bio3T with 4 strips of 1/4" lead 6" long at 10-2, and 11-1, to match close to a 320 SW. Haven't hit with it yet.

MrFlynntastic
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
you should string poly 10% lower, not the gut
your overall tension for 18x20 is quite high

I'm playing with an 18x20 Blade with gut poly at 52/48. I also just bought a f 3.0 T but didnt try yet.

Thank you for the advice. Those are the original strings and I was aiming for the mid-range of the suggested tension when I bought it. I will take your suggestion of Gut Main at around 50 and poly X's around 48 or slightly lower. Will report back with results.
What is suggested tension really worth? Do rackets play sub-par outside of this weight range? 52-62lbs for the f3.0 btw...

MomentumGT
03-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Do rackets play sub-par outside of this weight range? 52-62lbs for the f3.0 btw...

No. I string my racquets at 45lbs full poly and love it. So much easier on the arm and I didn't loose any directional control by moving down in tension. The only thing I really had to get used to was the more dwell time of the ball on the string bed as well as more pocketing.

-Jon

Broly4
03-12-2013, 02:07 AM
Drop the tension, no poly should be strung above 25 kg (55), and in this case the ideal range is 21-23.

tom4ny
03-12-2013, 04:56 AM
I played with the Bio 300T for 1.5 years and had the lead spread around the upper hoop from 11-1 and countered with a heavy synthetic grip. I strung with KB Proline II 17g at 55/52.

When I ordered my first F3.0 tour I had requested it to be strung at 55 again with the KB Proline II but it came in at 60 lbs! The F3.0 was very pingy and felt quite stiff. I could hit a decent ball and the spin was great but I surely was not going to leave my beloved bio 300 tours which had served me well.

I had the F3.0 restrung at 55 lbs. and it was almost a totally different racket. Gone was the loud ping sound and the ride felt much more plush. My shots were heavier and with more spin than my Bio 300 tours but I still preferred to feel of the Bio version. I continued to hit with the F3.0 tour and tinkered around with lead tape, preferring to have just 2 strips at 10 and 2.

Proceeded to restring with Isospeed Professional Classic and decided to remove the lead and play the frame in stock form. My hitting partner (5.0) noticed that my shots were more difficult for him and commented that he felt I played better with the F3.0 tour than the Bio 300 tour. He is also top stringer in the NY area, and strings all of my frames for me. So I listen to him. I continued to play with the F3.0 and after a few more weeks made the switch.

I definitely would not string this frame over 56 I do not care what the spec are. For me it plays great at mid to low tensions. At the upper end it is too stiff and pingy. The ball still jumps off the the string bed at lower tensions but you get better feel and can even feel some ball pocketing though it is not nearly as much as prior versions.

cknobman
03-12-2013, 06:07 AM

But this takes most, if not all, of the spin and power advantage you would get from the hybrid setup to begin with.

MomentumGT
03-12-2013, 12:10 PM
I demoed the 3.0 tours at Indian Wells this past Sunday and loved it! Groundies and volleys felt amazing with really good control and feel. The demo was strung really high tho...felt like 60+lbs but I was able to adjust rather quickly. Now I kinda regret buying a pair of blade 93's lol

-Jon

Federerkblade
03-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Do ppl feel the grip sizes run small on the dunlop F3. Im finding the standard
grip feels thin its thickness too. it feels very thin ???

LeeD
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Bio3T grip runs small also.
My 5/8th feels more like a 1/2, and even a cushy overgrip feels small.

MomentumGT
03-12-2013, 09:17 PM
It does run kinda small it seems. I felt the same thing when I demoed the 3.0tour. My bio200plus 4 1/4 is significantly smaller than my new Blade 93 4 1/4 grip. It didn't take long for me to forget about it tho.

-Jon

tom4ny
03-13-2013, 02:21 AM
yes, the gecko grip is very thin though I believe that the new version is improved in feel. the dunlop grips do run smaller (then Volkl, Head, Kneissl, Babolat) but I have found my F3.0's to be slightly larger than my Bio 300 tours.

I replace out the grips right away now and replace with head hydrosorb tour grip.

Federerkblade
03-13-2013, 03:19 PM
I replace out the grips right away now and replace with head hydrosorb tour grip.[/QUOTE]

Tommy and others , when you have replaced with hydrosorb or any other grip to replace the initial primary grip, do you feel the grip is true to size then.

LeeD
03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
I've been weighting my Bio300T with 4 strips of lead, 6" each, at 10-2.
SW must be close to 330.
Regardless, my old Mfil200's hit a smoother and cleaner ball at the sweetspot. Mf2 SW is around 340, with 15 gauge nylon.
Might need more lead on the B3T.

tom4ny
04-25-2013, 05:51 AM
6 months and my love affair with the F3.0 only grows deeper. Yes, it is a firmer (stiffer) feel than previous models and you have a lively string bed as opposed to that great ball dwell time of prior versions but in my opinion this new F3.0 is definitely an UPGRADE.

The new Dunlops are different but the ball quality (heaviness and spin) is significant yet you still have great control.

My biggest gripe is with the cheapo grommets. I have had strings break INSIDE the grommets on 3 occassions! Last night it happened again with a brand new frame and fresh set of strings. It is not from a knot or anything either. I understand that manufacturers look to save money where they can but grommets are $4.95 retail! The plastic on these new grommets is too brittle and poor quality.

Other than that the F3.0 tour is just a super frame. Not looking back

neverstopplaying
04-25-2013, 09:27 AM
There's not a lot of talk on tt regarding the F 3.0 T, but I am very happy to have made the switch from the new Blade 18x20.

tom4ny
04-25-2013, 11:48 AM
There's not a lot of talk on tt regarding the F 3.0 T, but I am very happy to have made the switch from the new Blade 18x20.

at the time that I made the switch to the bio 300 tour I also play tested the wilson blx blade, head yt radical, technifibre tf 305, solinco pro 8, and volkl pb9 and x10-295. these are all good frames and I could play with any of them but the bio 300 tour (modified with lead added in the upper hoop) performed the best all around for me, especially on serves and my 1hbh.

the new F3.0 tour is even better and after tinkering with lead I play now play with it in stock form. I cannot stress the importance of ball quality enough - while feel is important, it is secondary if one is competing at a serious level. also, after you play with a frame for a while you become familiar with all of the nuances. you really can start to enhance your strengths and minimize the exposure of the weaker aspects of one's game.

arm protection is there even if it is a firm frame. I do not string my F3.0 tours over 55 lbs.

Hominator
04-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Tom, I'm also still enjoying my F 3.0 Tours. I think we live in the same area - let's get together for a hit, when I get back in town in May.

tom4ny
04-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Mike, glad to hear that you are still enjoying your tours and would love to hit sometime. May looks tough but 2nd week may be ok. My schedule gets lighter in summer. Email me, or I will email you later. Safe travels!

neverstopplaying
04-26-2013, 05:09 PM
We are a small group. I don't get it but maybe this Dunlop is just not that popular.

I'm just getting ready for my clay court summer season and hopefully the 3.0T will still shine. This is my 1st 18x20 in a while and it's stiffer than my previous 18x20s. I still haven't nailed down my optimal string setup, and now I have to deal with the clay.

The setup in my sig (gut-54/4G-50) is too stiff, so either I go down in tension or put Beast in the crosses (which is a little softer), or play with TCS in the 40s, of some other poly at lower tensions - Silverstring, Cyclone, etc.). I like to get a little more net clearance on clay with heavier spin, but still mostly drive the ball.
I play mostly with younger players and have to play aggressively to win.

If I get it right, I'll post back just in case someone else picks up a 3.0T.

tom4ny
04-28-2013, 12:08 PM
I agree with you NSP, we are a small group. I tried poly in this frame and though it was comfortable and gave me a bit more spin, I went back to my isospeed professional classic which plays similar to gut in that it is crisp yet soft. I had the poly down in the low 50s and I would go lower, say to 48 if I were to try it again. Other people enjoy the frame with Black widow in the mid 50s but no one I know goes over 56 lbs of tension on this frame. Enjoy the clay courts! I played on those a few summers ago and loved it! Its mostly hard courts here.

Hominator
04-29-2013, 11:51 AM
I love Black Widow in this frame, but will be dropping the tension down from 56 to around 52 next time.

I've had a history of TE over the years and I love that I can play full poly in this frame without any arm pain.

MrFlynntastic
05-07-2013, 10:56 AM
TF Black Code mains @ 48lb.
TF Syn Gut crosses @ 50lb.

Stoked. Arm pain gone. Ping sound gone. Love hitting with this frame. Mod'd with two 4" strips at 10 & 2, leather grip and 7g in the handle.

Thank you for the replies to my TE issues. Great resource @ TT. Happy hitting.

yoooki
06-21-2013, 08:02 PM
From all the reading, it sounds like this racquet is very different to the biomimetic 300 tour that I'm using. Contemplating whether I should get one or not.

Has anyone heard of or played with the Dunlop biomimetic F300 Classic? The specs of that one seem more like the biom 300 tour.

LeeD
06-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Yooki...
The main difference is the 320 SW of the F3T, while the Bio3T has a 305 SW.
Add lead to the upper hoop.
I've used a F3T for maybe 10 minutes, switching back and forth with my Bio3T weighted to SW of 320, and my 4dAero300's at a SW of 320.
4D is softest, Bio3T in the middle, and F3T the crispest feeling. The extra width of the head is a difference ,but not neccessarily a positive or a negative. Like Yonex rackets with the square tip heads, it's a + or -, depending on what you prefer. Notice Yonex rackets are migrating towards traditional heads.
I use my 4DAero300's the most, as I often play with old farts who hit slow weak balls.

yoooki
06-23-2013, 04:34 AM
Thanks LeeD,
My biom300 tour has lead on the hoop, but it's almost a wasted effort cause I have a leather grip and two overgrips on it aswell haha.

I have an ag4D 300tour aswell. It doesn't suit me though because it feels draggy, especially on high forehands, and you lose the feel of the ball on the strings cause it's so soft, which compounds on the dragginess of the racquet (feels slow and like you're not getting much out of it).

I tend to not double up on racquets because I don't play enough to justify having two of the same, so was looking for something similar and this biom f300 classic looks like a winner. I think I'll eventually buy an f3.0 tour aswell just for the sake of adding to my series of 300 tours.

The head width is an interesting point. More used to the streamline tear drop shape so should be an interesting transition. The f300 classic btw has the tear drop shape as in the ag4d and old biom.

Have a yonex (rdis 100 mid) but don't like it. I think I strung it too loose, but don't feel the need to fiddle/play with it.

So you have multiple ag4d 300ts do you? aside from feel, were there any differences to the f3.0t?

nirianto
06-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Can someone comment on the stock grip size of the f3.0 tour? Does it run slightly bigger as in the case with the bio 300 lines or close to its true size? I have been playing with the 4d 300 tour and contemplating for an upgrade. I bought the bio 300 and found that the stock grip ran slightly bigger. I ended up removing the stock grip and played with two OG's + weight to balance it out.

LeeD
06-24-2013, 12:15 PM
My sole Bio300T has a smaller grip than my 4d300's, both 4 5/8th.
The demo F3T seems to have the same size grip as my two 4d300's.
Lead at the hoop increases the swing weight, giving you more plowthru and power on most shots, if you swing fast enough.
Lead at the grip increases the static weight, but doesn't increase SW, so you still don't get the power or the plowthru.
Those two are different things.
Draggieness of your 4D has to do with it's 318 SW, while the f3T has the same SW, you just like it better.
I serve the same with my 4D's or my Bio300T weighted to 320 SW.
I find my 4D300's are very similar to the new F3T, a little softer in flex, which I like, as I"m old and frail. My 4D's are string with SolincoTourBite 16 at 47 lbs., a touch stiffer than I care for. My Bio300T is strung with Ice 17 at 50 lbs., a little stiff for my liking.
I have a big serve for anyone under 5.0, often hit wild big shots, don't watch the ball closely, but mainly play doubles in the 3.5 to 5.0 range. I lose interest and can lose to good 3.5's occasionally, and usually hang just fine with 4.5's thru lower lever 5.0's in doubles.
OK, maybe I don't have a big serve, but I'm lefty with all the lefty spin and flat first serves.

tom4ny
06-26-2013, 04:44 AM
The grip size on the F3.0 tour is slightly larger than the bio 300 tour. It is also longer for 2-handers. The new gecko grip is an improvement in feel over the last version but is very thin. Once you replace it with leather or a heavier synthetic you notice that the grip runs slightly large. I like it that way but I use more of an eastern grip and 1hbh.

The new classic version is not yet available but the specs look closer to the bio 300 tour with the same flex rating. Honestly, it seems the only difference in the new classic is the "upgraded" gecko grip, aero skin, and grommets. None of which is going to change the feel and playability at a noticeable level. I would pick up some old bio 300 tours on discount if you can still find them.

I still have my bio 300 tours (modified with lead in the upper hoop from 11:00-1:00) and can switch back and forth between them and the new F3.0 which is my main frame now. The biggest difference is between the two is that the F3.0 does not require lead and the feel is much crisper and stiffer. You get great spin and the sting bed is "snappy". I prefer tensions at 55 lbs and below in this frame. With the Bio 300 tour you get a softer feel and increased ball dwell time. Because of it's very oval head shape I have my Bio 300 tours strung at 55/52 and that along with the lead in the upper hoop opens up the sweetspot and firms up the upper portion of the string bed. The F3.0 tour has a larger sweetspot that is higher on the string bed and the upper hoop does not need lead. After tinkering with lead tape for a few weeks I went back to stock and have no problems with handling heavy pace. The F3.0 tour also has a bit more power but both frames serve bombs and are great all court rackets.

it comes down to if you prefer a more traditional feel or a more modern crisp feel. As you can see in the thread I was reluctant to switch but it was clear that i was playing better with the new F3.0 tour so I made the switch and have not looked back.

Pneumated1
06-29-2013, 08:42 AM
I recently used some TW credit to pick up a used F 3.0 Tour and went with 1 grip size too small because it was $40.00 cheaper than a used one in my preferred grip size. I put a thin layer of athletic/hockey tape 5" up the handle, slightly overlapped and covered this with a Gamma Hi-Tech replacement grip. It turned out to be perfect, so I agree that the grip size seems slightly larger, but it could be the shape, which is perfect.

To the frame . . . . I demoed it around Christmas with Silk strung too tight, which gave me a few false impressions, but I still almost bought it, having been a former 4D 300 Tour user. I got TW to string this used Tour with Black Widow at 50lbs., two piece, and this is a different frame. All I've done is serve with it and hit volleys to my son, but this is a different animal at lower tensions. I won the only set I played with it back in December, but the tension in the strings seemed to make everything more difficult than it should have been.

I've been injured and won't be able to compete for months, and considering that my hopes of a London update have been dashed, I think I'm sold on this F 3.0 Tour, but we'll see. It's more stable than my modified Londons in stock form, but I might add a few grams of lead to the hoop, although it really doesn't seem to need it. I've had a hard time putting the London down in the past, but I may have found its replacement.

LeeD
06-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Softer tension can account for tons of differences.
My 4D300 feels much more powerful than the F3T strung around 58, because my 4D's are 10 lbs. softer.
Originally had planned to buy two MicroGelMids, but I'm a Dunlop guy and the deal came up at the right time.
F3T feels stiffer than Bio300T, which feels stiffer than 4D300's.
Old farts need softer rackets, if they want to continue to swing at each shot.