PDA

View Full Version : Zhang and Lu Mix Up

Phonco
10-17-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't know if anyone watches ATP World Tour Uncovered on Tennis Channel, but I think I just noticed a pretty solid error on the most recent episode. Well, the one based on the Shanghai Masters.

Anyway, the show had a segment dedicated to Ze Zhang and his coach Guillaume Peyre. However, the error was they used clips that showcased Yen Hsun Lu practicing, not Ze Zhang. I thought this was pretty bad considering Lu is sponsored by Adidas and uses a Head racquet while Zhang is sponsored by Nike and uses a Wilson.

Sure they somewhat look similar, but seriously? The sponsorships are completely different. I don't know how you'd miss that. Unless Peyre coached Lu, I think this was done intentionally. Maybe lack of Zhang footage?

Just to be clear, I'm not claiming racism or anything like that. I'm just surprised/amused that the difference in sponsors didn't pull up a flag. Maybe they thought no one would notice.

Phonco
10-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Look. I'm honestly not trying to be racist. I'd rather not go into length about how similar or dissimilar their characteristics may or may not be. We can discuss that at another time if you so desire.

I'd like to focus on the video/show in particular. If you've seen it then you'd know part of Lu's face was covered by the shadow of his hat making it somewhat hard to see his face in certain camera angles. This is where I could see the similarity rise since I think it's difficult to discern between people when all you can't see their face, especially if they're moving around the court. Given these constraints, then I can see how it'd be possible for those two to be mixed up.

jaggy
10-17-2012, 04:04 PM
They look as alike as Lopez and Murray

15_ounce
10-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Yes they did show Lu when they mentioned Zhang, but then they showed both Lu and Zhang hitting to each other.... so it is not a big problem. They also showed plenty of Zhang's interview.

Phonco
10-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Oh. Thanks for clearing that up 15_ounce. I didn't know that it was Lu and Zhang hitting together. I saw Zhangs interview, but got confused when there were clips of Lu. I didn't figure to think that they would be hitting with one another. Guess I jumped too quickly to a conclusion :oops:

diggler
10-18-2012, 04:04 AM
It is not racist at all. I'm an Asian born Australian and even I think Asians look alike because I've been brought up looking at white people.

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-18-2012, 04:16 AM
It's fine to accidentally mix up some players. Sometimes I mistake Federer for a female tennis player.

pound cat
10-18-2012, 05:01 AM
It's fine to accidentally mix up some players. Sometimes I mistake Federer for a female tennis player.

Which one?

Darkmoon
10-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Tell you an easy way to tell these two guys: Zhang always wears his hat in a reserve way with the brim at back of his neck: Lu wears the hat in a normal way.

Is Zhang getting to be known by people? I am from China but I seldom watch his games, and I will certainly not recognize him if I bump with him on street in Shanghai. What language was this interview denominated? Does Zhang speak English?

Roger Wawrinka
10-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Zhang uses Tecnifibre, not Wilson.

sureshs
10-18-2012, 08:22 AM
I always get Sere Na and Li Na mixed up.

kelawai
10-18-2012, 08:30 AM
I always get Sere Na and Li Na mixed up.

I thought one of them was a Sha Na Na member.