PDA

View Full Version : Not Win a Match in 2nd Half of Year and Year End Ranking

McEnroeisanartist
10-18-2012, 08:44 AM
It is remarkable that Nadal will have not won a match in the second half of 2012 and still finish #4.

Can anyone think of another player in history that has won so few matches in one half of a year and kept their ranking so high.

The only player that comes to mind is John McEnroe who was #4 up until June 30, 1986 even though he did not win any matches in the first half of 1986.

joeri888
10-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Will be an interesting next few months for Nadal that's for sure. If he has the same first half as last year he can become no. 1, if he has a poor clay season for once though, he could be out of the top 6 or 7. Would be interesting; Fed-Nads or Nad-Djok QF

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Just shows how dominant Nadal is to be able to keep his ranking so high despite only playing half the year. And that he'd be #1 if he played the rest of the year.

joeri888
10-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Just shows how dominant Nadal is to be able to keep his ranking so high despite only playing half the year. And that he'd be #1 if he played the rest of the year.

Except you forget that he is always more dominant in the first half, AND he DID play Wimbledon.

After Wimbledon, it was a 3 horse race, with Nadal having his best time of the season behind him clearly.

CMM
10-18-2012, 09:00 AM
It is remarkable that Nadal will have not played a match in the second half of 2012 and still finish #4.

McEnroeisanartist
10-18-2012, 09:00 AM

Or how weak his body is that he is unable to play for an entire season. I would interpret it that way.

Tony48
10-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Well, he won a slam and 2 Masters.

The guys ranked below him didn't exactly do anything do anything better.

veroniquem
10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
It is remarkable that Nadal will have not won a match in the second half of 2012 and still finish #4.

Can anyone think of another player in history that has won so few matches in one half of a year and kept their ranking so high.

The only player that comes to mind is John McEnroe who was #4 up until June 30, 1986 even though he did not win any matches in the first half of 1986.

Not that hard to achieve when one has already won 1 slam, 2 masters and made the final of another slam. There aren't that many players who win slams and masters nowadays. Actually, there are 4... Here you go! Here is your answer! Since there are only 4, Nadal will finish last of the 4. That's his penalty for not playing for so long. He had a decent chance at finishing 1st or 2nd if he had kept playing.

Prisoner of Birth
10-18-2012, 02:01 PM
He can rank Top 5 even if he plays just the Clay season every year.

tennis_pro
10-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Or how crappy guys ranked 5th and below are.

kaku
10-18-2012, 03:53 PM
The guys ranked #5 and below would love to have Rafa's year even with half the year off

imajica77
10-18-2012, 07:56 PM
You do realize that he played 17 tournaments in the first half of the year. Fed and Murray have only played 18 total for the year. So no it's not hard to believe. Maybe if he spread his tournaments thru out the year he wouldn't be in this situation.

Big_Dangerous
10-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Or how weak his body is that he is unable to play for an entire season. I would interpret it that way.

I'm pretty sure he could have played but opted to sit out and let the injury heal. That's pretty much how it is with athletes these days.

Clarky21
10-18-2012, 08:06 PM
You do realize that he played 17 tournaments in the first half of the year. Fed and Murray have only played 18 total for the year. So no it's not hard to believe. Maybe if he spread his tournaments thru out the year he wouldn't be in this situation.

No he didn't. He only played 11 tournaments. Not sure where you are getting 6 extra ones from.

Agassifan
10-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Winning one slam and 2 masters is not that hard. Fed and Djokovic in their big years would've wrapped up #2 in world by mid year.

RF20Lennon
10-18-2012, 08:30 PM
well he did have a great clay season as usual haha and plus the guys ranked below are not really up to the mark anyway they are miles behind the top 4

kishnabe
10-18-2012, 09:02 PM
He won a match at Wimbledon which I condider part of the 2nd half of season.

Season runs from Jan-Nov. It would be split at the Second Week of June.

Wimbledon is at the fourth week of June to the first week of July.

He deserves to end Year end TOP 5.....his Clay Season alone could amass more points that each guys below top 5.

Tsonga is barely above 3000 in points. Nadal could easily win MC, Rome,Barcelona and Madrid. Would not play the slams and still qualify for YEC.

cknobman
10-19-2012, 07:31 AM
1. Nadal is super dominant 1st half of year. This is before he gets tired and body breaks down plus where the majority of the clay season is. No suprise here though as he has always done significantly better through July than post July and a reason why he only has 1 YE#1.

2. Outside of the top 4 the rest of the field is actually pretty weak in comparison. The top 4 are just clear cut above the rest of the field. Sure there is tons of depth in tennis, but only when you draw that line at #4 and discount the guys above it.

Nadal has earned his #4 and would have likely been a shoe in for #2 and with some luck maybe had a shot at #1.

zam88
10-19-2012, 08:28 AM
If Rafa was serious about staying around as long as possible, he'd accept any and all fines and only play the the entire clay season and the grand slams. forget all the rest of the season.

we're talking like 8-9 tournies.

3fees
10-19-2012, 08:44 AM
His ranking in the top 5 still shows he won or placed high in alot of tournaments he did play in.

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Physical weakness (injury) is a lot better than mental weakness. 2-8 in slams, that's about as mentally weak as you can get.

vernonbc
10-19-2012, 09:02 PM
he has always done significantly better through July than post July and a reason why he only has 1 YE#1.

Nadal has two YE #1's.

InspectorRacquet
10-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Physical weakness (injury) is a lot better than mental weakness. 2-8 in slams, that's about as mentally weak as you can get.

Although invariably tough, one can overcome mental weakness and reverse the situation (be it for a day a la Gulbis or for a career).

Physical weakness can literally prevent a player from ever playing again, and really shouldn't be overused as an excuse. Constant injury might mean the player isn't taking the necessary precautions to stay healthy and is part of being an athlete (Nadal can be exempt for the knee issues because it is lifelong and not temporary).

imajica77
10-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Clarky21 I got those numbers off the atp website. Look under the rankings page. It states Rafa played 17 tournaments this years. Maybe they made a mistake? Or maybe you miscounted. I don't know which. I didnt research it.

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Clarky21 I got those numbers off the atp website. Look under the rankings page. It states Rafa played 17 tournaments this years. Maybe they made a mistake? Or maybe you miscounted. I don't know which. I didnt research it.

Doha
Australian Open
Indian Wells
Miami
Barcelona
Monte Carlo
Madrid
Rome
Roland Garros
Halle
Wimbledon

It's 11, not 17.

NatF
10-20-2012, 02:35 AM

Not really, especially when half of those matches are against the greatest clay courter ever on clay which is also Federer's worst surface.

tusharlovesrafa
10-20-2012, 02:46 AM
Mike Sams is the double-account of Clarky21..
LOL!!!

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Not really, especially when half of those matches are against the greatest clay courter ever on clay which is also Federer's worst surface.

Okay, then take away all the matches played on grass too, since Federer is supposedly the best grass-court player of all time. Then Nadal leads the slam H2H 2-0. And on Nadal's worst surface, against the supposed greatest hard-court player of all time.

NatF
10-20-2012, 03:28 AM
Okay, then take away all the matches played on grass too, since Federer is supposedly the best grass-court player of all time. Then Nadal leads the slam H2H 2-0. And on Nadal's worst surface, against the supposed greatest hard-court player of all time.

Federer being the greatest grass courter of all time is debatable - I don't necessarily think that. Nadal being the best on clay isn't debatable, neither is clay being Federer's worst surface. Federer mentally folded against Nadal at the AO 2009 no denying that, the momentum in that fifth set was with him. Kudos to Nadal but at the same time Nadal was on a similar Fed beating streak to Djokovic with Nadal last year. Fed's also been past his prime for a while now so it's no surprise Nadal has beaten him. Federer's still has had the game to make matches close and contested even if he doesn't have the stamina to fight to the end anymore.

imajica77
10-21-2012, 09:19 PM
okNote: Below are the latest calendar-year Race to London standings. The Top 8 players at the end of the regular season will qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Learn More. The 52-week South African Airways ATP Rankings (commonly known as the 'world rankings') are available here. Note: Race points are updated daily on the home page.

Go
Rank, Name & Nationality Points Week Change Tourn Played
1 Djokovic, Novak (SRB) 11,410 0 15
2 Federer, Roger (SUI) 9,255 0 18
3 Murray, Andy (GBR) 7,510 0 18
4 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 6,840 0 17
5 Ferrer, David (ESP) 4,780 0 22
6 Berdych, Tomas (CZE) 4,225 0 22
7 Del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG) 3,740 0 20
8 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA) 3,310 0 23
9 Tipsarevic, Janko (SRB) 2,810 0 25
10 Almagro, Nicolas (ESP) 2,425 0 25it's 11 then. personally i dont care. but this is copied from the atp site....

single_handed_champion
10-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Federer being the greatest grass courter of all time is debatable - I don't necessarily think that. Nadal being the best on clay isn't debatable, neither is clay being Federer's worst surface. Federer mentally folded against Nadal at the AO 2009 no denying that, the momentum in that fifth set was with him. Kudos to Nadal but at the same time Nadal was on a similar Fed beating streak to Djokovic with Nadal last year. Fed's also been past his prime for a while now so it's no surprise Nadal has beaten him. Federer's still has had the game to make matches close and contested even if he doesn't have the stamina to fight to the end anymore.

What is your point? :lol: Not that the poster you were responding to was making a brilliantly original one either.

single_handed_champion
10-21-2012, 09:33 PM
okNote: Below are the latest calendar-year Race to London standings. The Top 8 players at the end of the regular season will qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Learn More. The 52-week South African Airways ATP Rankings (commonly known as the 'world rankings') are available here. Note: Race points are updated daily on the home page.

Go
Rank, Name & Nationality Points Week Change Tourn Played
1 Djokovic, Novak (SRB) 11,410 0 15
2 Federer, Roger (SUI) 9,255 0 18
3 Murray, Andy (GBR) 7,510 0 18
4 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 6,840 0 17
5 Ferrer, David (ESP) 4,780 0 22
6 Berdych, Tomas (CZE) 4,225 0 22
7 Del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG) 3,740 0 20
8 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA) 3,310 0 23
9 Tipsarevic, Janko (SRB) 2,810 0 25
10 Almagro, Nicolas (ESP) 2,425 0 25it's 11 then. personally i dont care. but this is copied from the atp site....

Click on the 17 against Nadal's name and you only see 11 tournaments listed. Goof-up on the ATP's part.

joeri888
10-22-2012, 01:07 AM
In the current rankings, doesn't last years WTF count as well?

batz
10-22-2012, 01:22 AM
In the current rankings, doesn't last years WTF count as well?

Yes it does.

NatF
10-22-2012, 01:51 AM
What is your point? :lol: Not that the poster you were responding to was making a brilliantly original one either.

Point: Nadal isn't better than Federer based on the excuses I provided lol.

cknobman
10-22-2012, 08:03 AM
It puzzling to see the Nadal fans ***-u-me/argue "Nadal is able to keep his ranking so high despite only playing half the year and he'd be #1 if he played the rest of the year." as if its some kind of fact or even statistically valid.

I mean how many years on tour has Nadal played???
How many YE#1 does he have?
How many years has he played the second half of the season (post Wimbledon)?

Not seeing logic behind argument.

NDFM
10-22-2012, 08:27 AM
It puzzling to see the Nadal fans ***-u-me/argue "Nadal is able to keep his ranking so high despite only playing half the year and he'd be #1 if he played the rest of the year." as if its some kind of fact or even statistically valid.

I mean how many years on tour has Nadal played???
How many YE#1 does he have?
How many years has he played the second half of the season (post Wimbledon)?

Not seeing logic behind argument.

I'm a nadal fan and I didn't think he would have ended this year as no.1 (perhaps no.2 if he was consistent) but that's due to the surface a majority of the second half of the tour is played on: hard and looking at past years the second half of his year isn't always great (excluding the years where he actually ended no.1).

The way federer was dominating the tour for years it was looking doubtful whether anyone else would become no.1 (come on nadal has the record for longest ranked at no.2).

I'm not sure about your last question, if i'm interpreting it correctly than this would be the first year he hasn't played the second half

cknobman
10-22-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure about your last question, if i'm interpreting it correctly than this would be the first year he hasn't played the second half

Correct. My question was only there to emphasize that Nadal has played the 2nd half of the year his entire career (excluding this year) and has only once ever obtained a YE#1.

I am not saying Nadal couldnt be a YE#1 just that he was no shoe in. Also Nadal's 1st half of year dominance can well be attributed to the majority of clay being played at that time of year just as easily as we can say the 2nd half of the year playing conditions are why he is not as dominant.

Gonzo_style
10-22-2012, 11:11 AM
It's hard to win a match when you not playing.

NDFM
10-22-2012, 11:16 AM
It's hard to win a match when you not playing.

Exactly, I see no point of this thread

MethodTennis
10-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Im confused 3,000 points to play for, ferrer 2060 behind?