PDA

View Full Version : Why work harder? (pure storm gt mini review)

StringingIrvine
10-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Little background, usta rated 4.5 more a solid 4.0. here is my racket history

LM prestige mid plus (2 yrs) then
ncode six.one tour (2 yrs) then
switched to POG 4 stripe mid (2 yrs) then
youtek prestige mid plus (1.5 yr)
now a pure storm gt (just got 2 weeks ago).

I know all about the honey mooning phase when you switch to something new, i do not think just going through honey mooning. I demoed the pure storm about a year and half ago while i was demoing the prestige and the prestige won out (i can't remember why) but just hitting with the 18/20 felt great. I was able to control the ball so well i was easily able to hit almost any ball back, but with the 18/20 my strokes naturally got flatter and flatter.

For some reason out of the blue two weeks ago i decided i needed a new racket, the prestige was good but it wasn't giving me enough pace and it took too much effort to get some power. I would be swinging 80% as a normal match rally.

I'm still adjusting to the pure storm gt but the matches I've played yield amazing results. The first match i played with it after only 1 hour of hitting with a new racket before was easy 6-1. He was a solid player, with my prestige mp i'm sure i would have won but it wouldn't have been 6-1 maybe 6-4? i'm swinging 50% and generating the same pace which gives me a lot more to focus on a clean strike. Taking that ball early, literally right off the bounce for a winner with minimal effort compared to the prestige mp.

The racket in stock form is definately too balanced for my liking so i slapped on a TW 1.5mm leather, over grip, and i'm using 18l msv hex and 18 gosen micro. Haven't measure as i'm too lazy but i'd say it feels maybe 4-5 points head light.

Forehand is amazing, top spin lobs, returns, heavy top spin to corner. Drop off the forehand side is a definately a little tougher but its there if i needed it. One problem i find is those high bouncing forehand shots as the racket has so much power its a little hard to control especially at that height. I think once i get used to the racket i shouldn't have a problem.

Backhand (one handed) feels solid but nothing to run home about. A lot more power and spin than the 18x20 mp as expected. I was still able to hit some short angle cross court shots and some amazing dtl passing shots.

Volleys to me had a little more punch as the racket was lighter and i was able to make sure i got exactly in that sweet spot. Again solid but nothing too amazing.

Serves were good as i was able to generate more spin. During my matches i was easily able to pick on some weaker backhands with some high kick serves wide then an easy follow up volley. I had a tendency to swing as hard as i did with my prestige mp and ball would go long. Once i realized just swing 75% instead of 90% on flat serves things started to click. I love this racket off the serve. Once again not in stock form but with a little bit of weight added.

Stability factor, racket is a little less stable but nothing too big. There definately isn't that feel of plow through you get with a mid size or a dense string pattern. I didn't have any issues handling heavy balls or hard serves. Yes if it was more stable itd be nice, but slight instability it is not a deal breaker.

Overall i'm extremely happy with my new racket. As i play WTT 4.0 and 4.5 for almost 4 years now my opponents have commented on how much better i was playing and it looked like i wasn't even trying. I don't know why i was using such a low powered racket. Yeah I was able to hit winners with I swing 90% but why try so hard when I don't have to. I'm not always focus enough to swing 90%, during a match if i go on tilt i need a racket that will still be with me.

On thing that i hate about the racket or the babolats in general is there isn't a pronouced butt cap compared to wilson, head, or prince. The stick is straight so it feels as if sometimes its going to slip out of my hands. I don't think it ever will but i would have liked them to make that butt cap wider and larger.

Ask questions about the switch, or any of the previous racket experiences.

smirker
10-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Little background, usta rated 4.5 more a solid 4.0. here is my racket history

LM prestige mid plus (2 yrs) then
ncode six.one tour (2 yrs) then
switched to POG 4 stripe mid (2 yrs) then
youtek prestige mid plus (1.5 yr)
now a pure storm gt (just got 2 weeks ago).

I know all about the honey mooning phase when you switch to something new. I demoed the pure storm about a year and half ago whiel i was deming the prestige and the prestige won out (i can't remember why) but hitting with the 18/20 was great. I was able to control the ball so well i was easily able to hit almost any ball back, as with the 18/20 my strokes naturally got flatter and flatter.

For some reason out of the blue two weeks ago i decided i needed a new racket, the prestige was good but it wasn't giving me enough pace. I would be swinging 80% as a normal match rally.

I'm still adjusting to the pure storm gt but the matches I've played yield amazing results. The first match i played with it after only 1 hour of hitting with a new racket before was easy 6-1. He was a solid player, with my prestige mp i'm sure i would have won but it wouldn't have been 6-1 maybe 6-4? i'm swinging 50% and generating the same pace which gives me a lot more to focus on a clean strike. Taking that ball early, literally right off the bounce for a winner with minimal effort compared to the prestige mp.

The racket in stock form is definately too balanced for my liking so i slapped on a TW 1.5mm leather, over grip, and i'm using 18l msv hex and 18 gosen micro. Haven't measure as i'm too lazy but i'd say it feels maybe 4-5 points head light.

Forehand is amazing, top spin lobs, returns, heavy top spin to corner. Drop off the forehand side is a definately a little tougher but its there if i needed it. One problem i find is those high bouncing forehand shots as the racket has so much power its a little hard to control especially at that height. I think once i get used to the racket i shouldn't have a problem.

Backhand (one handed) feels solid but nothing to run home about. A lot more power and spin than the 18x20 mp as expected. I was still able to hit some short angle cross court shots and some amazing dtl passing shots.

Volleys to me had a little more punch as the racket was lighter and i was able to make sure i got exactly in that sweet spot. Again solid but nothing too amazing.

Serves were good as i was able to generate more spin. During my matches i was easily able to pick on some weaker backhands with some high kick serves wide then an easy follow up volley. I had a tendency to swing as hard as i did with my prestige mp and ball would go long. Once i realized just swing 75% instead of 90% on flat serves things started to click. I love this racket off the serve. Once again not in stock form but with a little bit of weight added.

Stability factor, racket is a little less stable but nothing too big. There definately isn't that feel of plow through you get with a mid size or a dense string pattern. I didn't have any issues handling heavy balls or hard serves. Yes if it was more stable itd be nice, but slight instability it is not a deal breaker.

Overall i'm extremely happy with my new racket. As i play WTT 4.0 and 4.5 for almost 4 years now my opponents have commented on how much better i was playing and it looked like i wasn't even trying. I don't know why i was using such a low powered racket. Yeah I was able to hit winners with I swing 90% but why try so hard when I don't have to. I'm not always focus enough to swing 90%, during a match if i go on tilt i need a racket that will still be with me.

On thing that i hate about the racket or the babolats in general is there isn't a pronouced butt cap compared to wilson, head, or prince. The stick is straight so it feels as if sometimes its going to slip out of my hands. I don't think it ever will but i would have liked them to make that butt cap wider and larger.

Ask questions about the switch, or any of the previous racket experiences.

Nice review. I always wanted to try the PT but never bothered as it was too similar spec wise to my M-Fil 300's. Perhaps I should reconsider?

StringingIrvine
10-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Its even cheaper now at $99 from TW!

Roforot
10-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Do you miss anything as far as placement? Was it easier to redirect balls or hit angles w/ the 18x20 Prestige?

I went through a similar change into using a Pure Drive Roddick. I appreciate how much easier it is to keep depth especially when I'm pushed behind the baseline.

A_Instead
10-22-2012, 12:22 PM
I agree. The Pure Storm doesnt get the props that it deserves.
Its a nice one.

StringingIrvine
10-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Do you miss anything as far as placement? Was it easier to redirect balls or hit angles w/ the 18x20 Prestige?

I went through a similar change into using a Pure Drive Roddick. I appreciate how much easier it is to keep depth especially when I'm pushed behind the baseline.

Short swing blocks definately were more accurate with the prestige, with the storm i did notice the instability but as i mentioned before it wasn't enough to really make a huge difference, i was still able to block to ball to where i wanted.

Top spin short angle shots IMO were easier with the storm, having less weight i was able to whip through my shots easier than with the prestige (leather grip helped A LOT). Short angle chips for me are hard with this racket as the ball just goes sailing if i try and go for too much. I'd imagine this would change with time as i get used to the racket.

Hit with someone who i haven't seen in a while and they too were surprised how effortlessly I made it seem.

All my expereiences could just be mental as i always have that extra power in my back pocket. However i've hit against some hard hitters and haven't found instability that bad. Even though i feel the instability the ball still did what I wanted to do, just wouldn't feel as good as some of the other player frames. But at the end of the day, effortless style and technique, winning games, being able to hit winners 50% faster than normal rally pace and have your opponent think "what the hell was that?", pure storm was a good choice for me.

Roforot
10-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Short swing blocks definately were more accurate with the prestige, with the storm i did notice the instability but as i mentioned before it wasn't enough to really make a huge difference, i was still able to block to ball to where i wanted.

Top spin short angle shots IMO were easier with the storm, having less weight i was able to whip through my shots easier than with the prestige (leather grip helped A LOT). Short angle chips for me are hard with this racket as the ball just goes sailing if i try and go for too much. I'd imagine this would change with time as i get used to the racket.

Hit with someone who i haven't seen in a while and they too were surprised how effortlessly I made it seem.

All my expereiences could just be mental as i always have that extra power in my back pocket. However i've hit against some hard hitters and haven't found instability that bad. Even though i feel the instability the ball still did what I wanted to do, just wouldn't feel as good as some of the other player frames. But at the end of the day, effortless style and technique, winning games, being able to hit winners 50% faster than normal rally pace and have your opponent think "what the hell was that?", pure storm was a good choice for me.

Thanks. I've always been a 16 main guy... may one day try out an 18x20 pattern if I outgrow the Pure Drive.

pshulam
10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
pure storm was a good choice for me.Glad that you have found your holy grail for the interim. Thank you for the review. I might consider getting one while the 2009 version is selling at $99 (with free string, stringing and shipping) at TW.