PDA

View Full Version : Most emotional victories and toughest losses

joeri888
10-18-2012, 08:55 AM
In your eyes for your favourites of the top 4 this year?

To me:

Federer's best win:
1. Murray at Wimbledon
2. Del Potro at Olympics
3. Nadal at IW

Federer's toughest losses:
1. Nadal at AO (felt so unnecessary and frustrating)
2. Murray at Olympics (quite flat that day)
3. Berdych at USO

veroniquem
10-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Most emotional victories:
- Djokovic: AO
- Federer: Olympics (Delpo match)
- Murray: Olympics
- Nadal: RG

Toughest losses:
- Djoko: USO
- Fed: USO
- Murray: W/AO/Shanghai
- Nadal: AO

batz
10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
I can only think of 1 really tough loss for Murray and that was the Wimby final.

OG for most emotional victory (which is a bit weird given that it's not a slam)

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Emotional wins:
Federer- Olympic semifinal
Murray- Olympic final
Nadal- French open final
Djokovic- Australian open final

Tough losses:
Federer- Olympic final
Murray- Australian open semifinals
Nadal- Wimbledon 2nd round against You Know Who
Djokovic- Cincinnati final

veroniquem
10-18-2012, 09:16 AM
I added AO and Shanghai for Murray because those are 2 matches he really should have won and he was very, very, very close. Must be terribly frustrating to lose in those conditions.

batz
10-18-2012, 09:21 AM
I added AO and Shanghai for Murray because those are 2 matches he really should have won and he was very, very, very close. Must be terribly frustrating to lose in those conditions.

AO was not a bad loss V - in fact it was the foundation stone for the rest of the season - he beat Nole in the next tournament he played (Dubai). It reminded me of his toss to Rafa in the WTF semis a few years ago i.e. it was a good loss, something that you can build on even though you lost. Shanghai might've been a sore one if he hadn't won OG and USO - I'm sure it was frustrating, but as Murray himself said - he's had much worse losses and is already over it.

tennis_pro
10-18-2012, 09:27 AM
- Djokovic: AO
- Federer: Olympics (Delpo match)
- Murray: Olympics
- Nadal: RG

Toughest losses:
- Djoko: USO
- Fed: USO
- Murray: W/AO/Shanghai
- Nadal: AO

Disagree with the bolded one. Federer was probably mad at himself that he played like one of the worst matches of the season but he could do nothing about it. Fed didn't have particularly tough losses this season, when he's lost it was usually a straight setter so it was probably him playing like a crap, his opponent GOATing or a combination of both. If I had to go with one it would be the 2012 AO semi-final against Nadal, he won the first set, was a break up in the second and just mentally collapsed after Nadal showed some spirit (how many times have we seen this?).

I usually rate a Federer loss the way I recover from it. The hardest to recover from (but still not hard) was the 2012 AO semi against Nadal, the 2012 Olympic final against Murray would be tougher if Federer showed any signs that he had a chance that day. It probably hurt more cause it was virtually Federer's last legit chance of winning a Gold medal.

Gonzo_style
10-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Victories:

Djokovic-AO final
Federer-Wimbledon final
Murray-OG final
Nadal-Monte Carlo final

Losses:

Djokovic-RG final
Federer-OG final
Murray-AO SF
Nadal-Wimbledon 2R

batz
10-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Seriously guys -Murray's loss in the AO semis was not a heartbreaker - quite the contrary. It gave Murray the belief that he could go toe to toe with Nole 2.0. It was the springboard for his best ever season.

Losing @ SW19 on the other hand was sore as feck - as the tears showed.

tennis_pro
10-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Here's my list:

Federer's most emotional win: Del Potro Olympics semi-final - I can imagine how spent he was mentally, I wasn't involved in the match physically but at one point in the final set just wanted this match to end no matter who the victor was

Federer's most emotional loss: Nadal AO semi-final, he was in control of the match, Nadal fought back and Federer never recovered. Seen the script a million times already.

Nadal's most emotional win:FO final against Djokovic. He waited for a long long time to beat Djokovic in a big final, Djokovic was actually in the middle of a comeback before Nadal fought back the next day.

Nadal's most emotional loss: 2012 AO final against Djokovic BY FAR - needs no description. If it turns out later on that Nadal's loss to Rosol at Wimbledon was a factor for him not playing in the 2nd half of the season - I'll change my mind.

Djokovic's most emotional win: - the AO final, nuff said

Djokovic's most emotional loss: - the US Open final, down 2 sets, won the next 2 and looked all but losing in the 5th

Murray's most emotional win: the US open final - a long time waiting for a major, almost screwed up a 2 set lead this time but got there in the end

Murray's most emotional loss: Wimbledon final against Federer - his voice completely broke down during the interview, this is how much it meant to him

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Seriously guys -Murray's loss in the AO semis was not a heartbreaker - quite the contrary. It gave Murray the belief that he could go toe to toe with Nole 2.0. It was the springboard for his best ever season.

Losing @ SW19 on the other hand was sore as feck - as the tears showed.

I do agree, that loss eventually helped him develop as a player capable of winning a slam. However, at the time he still had the "slamless brit" monkey on his back. He was playing the best tennis of his career and he still lost by a hair. It made a lot of fans think (including me) "Damn, he was playing so well and he still lost!? How much more does he have to improve to finally get that elusive slam?" In the end he didn't need to reach that level again, but it still caused doubt within all of us.

cluckcluck
10-18-2012, 09:44 AM
You people keep saying the most emotional win for Fed was the Olympic semi against DelPo...have you forgotten his victory at the 09 French? When he finally completed his career slam?
The rain, the tear, the family, everything, it was emotional for Fed...a genuine emotion.

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-18-2012, 09:45 AM
You people keep saying the most emotional win for Fed was the Olympic semi against DelPo...have you forgotten his victory at the 09 French? When he finally completed his career slam?
The rain, the tear, the family, everything, it was emotional for Fed...a genuine emotion.

We're talking about this year.

kishnabe
10-18-2012, 09:46 AM
2008 Wimbledon Final, still one of the most emotional losses ever for a *******.

This year...

Best Emotional Triumph

2012 Australian Open Final Djokovic
2012 Wimbledon Federer
2012 US Open Murray

Toughest Losses:

2012 Australian Open Semifinal Federer
2012 French Open Djokovic
2012 US Open Tipsarevic

tennis_pro
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM

This year, bro. Federer had 100 times more emotional wins than any of 2012, like the 2009 Wimbledon final, the entire 2009 FO, the 2007 Wimbly final just to name a few.

veroniquem
10-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Disagree with the bolded one. Federer was probably mad at himself that he played like one of the worst matches of the season but he could do nothing about it. Fed didn't have particularly tough losses this season, when he's lost it was usually a straight setter so it was probably him playing like a crap, his opponent GOATing or a combination of both. If I had to go with one it would be the 2012 AO semi-final against Nadal, he won the first set, was a break up in the second and just mentally collapsed after Nadal showed some spirit (how many times have we seen this?).

I usually rate a Federer loss the way I recover from it. The hardest to recover from (but still not hard) was the 2012 AO semi against Nadal, the 2012 Olympic final against Murray would be tougher if Federer showed any signs that he had a chance that day. It probably hurt more cause it was virtually Federer's last legit chance of winning a Gold medal.

OK, I understand your arguments but the reason I didn't put the AO one is that Fed did what he could but he didn't have the stamina to stay with Nadal in a best of 5. That is not a new problem for him and it's unlikely to go away any time soon, so the loss must not have been totally unexpected for him. + I doubt he cared that much at AO. Even if he had beaten Nadal, he would have been straight setted by Novak, the way he was in 2008 and 2011. Fed had 0 chance to win AO imo. At USO he DID have a chance, a good one even. He had just demolished Novak on a similar surface at Cincy. USO is faster and much better suited to Fed's game than AO. At USO, Fed could also have ensured the year end #1 to equal Sampras's 6 and that was HUGE. The way he lost to Berd was terrible and Berd is not a top 4. There was no justification for Fed to fold so lamely. Also, when is the last time Fed lost before semi at USO? Just that must have been very disappointing for him. At least at AO he made it to the semi and lost to one of the very best on a slowish surface. Nothing to be ashamed of.

batz
10-18-2012, 09:48 AM
I do agree, that loss eventually helped him develop as a player capable of winning a slam. However, at the time he still had the "slamless brit" monkey on his back. He was playing the best tennis of his career and he still lost by a hair. It made a lot of fans think (including me) "Damn, he was playing so well and he still lost!? How much more does he have to improve to finally get that elusive slam?" In the end he didn't need to reach that level again, but it still caused doubt within all of us.

I see where you're coming from mate, but my feelings at the time were quite the opposite. For the first time in a long time I felt confident Murray would win a slam. Even though he lost in the semis, I actually felt after that he was closer to winning that elusive first slam than he'd ever been.

tennis_pro
10-18-2012, 09:49 AM
2008 Wimbledon Final, still one of the most emotional losses ever for a *******.

It's about 2012 only.

Putting this thread aside for a moment, I still think that the 2009 AO final loss hurt the most. Nadal was sort of destined to win Wimbledon sooner or later, he still had a 2-0 in the final so it's not like Federer was in control and lost in the end.

2009 AO was all Federer screwing up his chances. He blew leads in every single set.

Alchemy-Z
10-18-2012, 10:23 AM
WINS:
Nadal -USO 2010
Fed-FO 2009
Djoker - Wimbledon 2011
Jimmy Conners -1991 US Open RUN @ age 39
Del potro -US Open 2009
Schiavone-2010 French

LOSES:
Roddick - Wimbledon 2009 most hear breaking loss.
Fed -2009 AO
Solderling -2009 FO...after taking RAFA out he doesn't get the win.

Greatest loss emotion of all time Borg - His last USO

maybe not on the surface but he quit tennis that day.

kaku
10-18-2012, 11:41 AM
The AO loss was a good one for Murray fans, it proved that Murray could hang tough with the very best. The Wimby final OTOH was a heartbreaker for every Murray fan. I'm sure that every Murray fan didn't put that loss behind them until he won the USO.

Best wins:
Fed: Wimbledon final
Nadal: FO final
Djokovic: AO Final
Murray: OG/USO, hard to pick

Toughest losses:
Fed: Berdych USO
Nadal: AO Final
Djokovic: USO Final
Murray: Wimbledon Final

Boricua
10-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Nadal at AO.
On a side note, I watched a bit of Roddick- Nalbandian in US Open 2003 final. Nalby up two sets to love and a tight third set. Roddick won in 5. Nalby never won a Slam till now and that was Roddicks only Slam. Irony for sure.

August
10-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Federer: Wimbledon SF and final
Murray: Olympic and USO finals
Djokovic: AO final
Del Potro: OG bronze match
Rosol: vs. Rafa @ Wimbledon
Marray/Nielsen: Wimbledon final, my favourite and most unforgettable tennis match ever.

Toughest losses:
Federer: Olympic final
Murray: Wimbledon final
Djokovic: RG final
Ferrer: Barcelona final (had his chances to win), USO SF v. Nole (Better player won, but what if the match had been completed on Saturday?)

So Wimbledon and Olympic finals were matches I knew already before to end in a bittersweet way. I hoped Roger to win Wimbledon but Andy losing his home slam's final felt bad. And i would've hoped Roger to win OG, but great for Andy to win Gold in UK, two losses in a month on same court to same player would've been too bad.

El Nino
10-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Emotional Victories.
Fed-Wimbeldon Final & Olympic SF
Nole- AO Final
Murray- USO Final & Olympic Final
Nadal- FO Final
Serena- Wimbeldon Final
Sharapova- FO Final

Emotional Losses.
Federer- AO Semis
Nole- USO Final & Monte Carlo Final
Nadal- AO Final & That Rosol Guy...
Murray- Shanghai Final, AO Semis,FO Quarters & Wimbeldon Finals
Tsonga- FO Quarters
Tipsarevic- USO Quarters
DelPo- Olympic Semis
Azarenka- USO Final

1972murat
10-18-2012, 02:05 PM
I agree with most posts above, but for me the most emotional win was Delpo's bronze medal win over Nole. He really wanted that medal for Argentina, whom I believe had no medals at that point, and having done it right after losing to Roger in that epic match...Delpo's face after that win said it all...

NDFM
10-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Emotional Victories:
Nadal - FO Final
Murray - Olympics Final
Djokovic - AO Final
Federer - Wimbledon Final (getting back to no.1 and at his best slam)
Delpo - Olympics Bronze Medal Match (was happy to see him get a medal after the Semis with Fed and it was the first medal for his country at that point)

Tough Losses:
Nadal - AO Final/2R Wimbledon
Murray - Wimbledon Final/Shanghai Final (he had Championship Points in Shanghai)
Djokovic - Cincy Final/ USO Final (he did start a comeback)/ Olympics Bronze Medal match (its a shame he didnt get a medal
Federer - AO Semi
Tsonga - FO Quarters, as a fan it was tough seeing him lose those match points but you know how djokovic is when his opponents get match points :)

roundiesee
10-19-2012, 05:23 AM
To me the most emotional loss I have seen was when Coria lost the French Open final to Gaudio, after coming so close to victory, and being a complete nervous wreck suffering from cramps towards the end. That to me was completely heart wrenching, :(