PDA

View Full Version : Roof whining

ollinger
10-18-2012, 03:05 PM
With the Yankees -- Tigers game on hold (and ultimately postponed) last night because of the threat of rain, it struck me that nowhere -- on TV, in radio commentary, at online sports sites -- have I seen or heard a single complaint about Detroit's basball stadium not having a roof. Nor have I ever heard such a complaint by baseball commentators, in a sport where rain postponements are commonplace. Is this sort of whining unique to tennis fans who become apoplectic when a day of the US Open is threatened?? Baseball fans seem to accept this sort of thing routinely. Why is it so hard for tennis fans here to do the same??

bhallic24
10-18-2012, 03:58 PM
With the Yankees -- Tigers game on hold (and ultimately postponed) last night because of the threat of rain, it struck me that nowhere -- on TV, in radio commentary, at online sports sites -- have I seen or heard a single complaint about Detroit's basball stadium not having a roof. Nor have I ever heard such a complaint by baseball commentators, in a sport where rain postponements are commonplace. Is this sort of whining unique to tennis fans who become apoplectic when a day of the US Open is threatened?? Baseball fans seem to accept this sort of thing routinely. Why is it so hard for tennis fans here to do the same??

cuz theres fking 543 baseball games a season and they don't mean that much anyway. yawn

ollinger
10-18-2012, 04:08 PM
^^ dumb answer. Baseball is in playoffs now so these are a relatively small number of games that actually matter to people. And in NYC there are a number of tournaments within reach that I can attend, be it the US Open, Philadelphia, New Haven, WTT, exhibitions, so there's ample opportunities to see tennis.

Moose Malloy
10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I was thinking the same thing yesterday(and the St. Louis game was also delayed 3 hours due to rain after the 7th inning yesterday as well)

Tennis fans/players(good lord the adult league threads are depressing) are generally a whiny, self entitled bunch, probably more so than any other sport.
I'm sort of glad most of my friends don't play or watch tennis, based on what I've witnessed on courts throughout my life & read here, quite a lot of avid players/fans seem socially ********. or just plain nuts.

cluckcluck
10-18-2012, 04:32 PM
^so you're calling your fellow forum members "socially ********?" That's offensive.

kishnabe
10-18-2012, 05:13 PM
I remember the losing team coach....whining about the Rain.