PDA

View Full Version : Wilson BLX Prostaff 6.1 95 vs Head Youtek IG Radical Pro

kaku
10-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Which racquet is better in terms of control, feel, and power? Also, what string (poly) would you guys recommend for these racquets? Thanks!

MikeHitsHard93
10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Prostaff wins in control and feel. Radical wins in power, but has pretty good control and feel. As for poly, I have no clue. I am new to the poly world and have only hit with Tour bite in a full bed, which I really like.

sunof tennis
10-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Prostaff wins in control and feel. Radical wins in power, but has pretty good control and feel. As for poly, I have no clue. I am new to the poly world and have only hit with Tour bite in a full bed, which I really like.

I agree with you. I also can't help on the poly question as I can't play with full poly as my arm would be in shreds

kaku
10-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys! Which racquet would you say is the better one overall?

MikeHitsHard93
10-18-2012, 03:50 PM

Neither one is better, but I would say the prostaff is probably more user-friendly. Both are great all-court rackets.

ace18
10-18-2012, 05:54 PM
I just switched to the IG Radical Pro. I was using a Dunlop AG300 for the past 5.5 years and I just got tired of having work so hard, no free power. I demoed the Rebel 98, EXO Tour 18X20, Pure Storm GT, Aero Storm GT, liked something about everyone of them, then tried the Radical Pro on a whim.

I'm still getting used to the swingweight on my OHB, but its such an upgrade over my Dunlops. I can hit winners that I wasn't able to hit with my Dunlops. A few of the things I'm doing better since switching: better FH crosscourt angle, much better touch for dropshots, penetrating FH, better BH slice, more pace on my serve, still working on the flat serve. I don't get bullied by big hitters like I did with my Dunlop. Oh, volleys are better too. I need to hit with it longer to hit more consistent on off-speed shots, the Dunlop was sweet for that.

The demo I used came with NXT 17 so I strung up the one I purchased with that since I liked it. The second one I bought I strung it up with Gamma crosses and RPM Blast mains, my standard for my Dunlops. I haven't hit with they hybrid enough to decide if I like it or not. Its worth a demo.

Sreeram
10-18-2012, 07:51 PM
I did not hit long enough with 6.1 95 but within few hits I know this is not I was looking for. It played like ASTGT that I owned. Decent feel and great for flat strokes.
IG Rad Pro is the racquet I am currently transitioning to from Gold 99. It is for a different purpose, it is more for a spinny FH and occational flat hits. This racquet can do both better but more for a loopy finish. Big sweet spot, awesome power, excellent feel. But I would suggest you to demo it, as this racquet flexs differently at hoop. You can feel the hoop bending on hard hit shots. Some may not like this flexy feel. Amazing for hitting short angles.

Regarding playing with full ploy, I would say Rad pro is better. I have been playing with it for over 1 month with a same BHBR string job. Normally I cannot play a poly job more than 3 weeks as I hate the dead feel when they die. But with Rad pro the flex is so good that I still did not feel any deadness in poly. The poly still feel fresh to me.

ace18
10-19-2012, 06:25 AM
I did not hit long enough with 6.1 95 but within few hits I know this is not I was looking for. It played like ASTGT that I owned. Decent feel and great for flat strokes.
IG Rad Pro is the racquet I am currently transitioning to from Gold 99. It is for a different purpose, it is more for a spinny FH and occational flat hits. This racquet can do both better but more for a loopy finish. Big sweet spot, awesome power, excellent feel. But I would suggest you to demo it, as this racquet flexs differently at hoop. You can feel the hoop bending on hard hit shots. Some may not like this flexy feel. Amazing for hitting short angles.

Regarding playing with full ploy, I would say Rad pro is better. I have been playing with it for over 1 month with a same BHBR string job. Normally I cannot play a poly job more than 3 weeks as I hate the dead feel when they die. But with Rad pro the flex is so good that I still did not feel any deadness in poly. The poly still feel fresh to me.

Good and interesting points. I also tried the BLX 95 for about 15 minutes. I liked it a lot from the baseline, very solid, felt sluggish at the net. Of course, it was only 15 minutes.

You mention the flex, I agree, I've been able to hold some shots on my racquet longer then with the Dunlop, which is flexy as well. I was impressed with a few of the shots that I was able to pull off. Hadn't seen that in a long time.

morandi
10-19-2012, 07:08 AM
I like the Rad pro a lot. It is a super versatile racquet. Its ability to both generate tons of controlled power, and absorb pace is really nice. I have strung them with gut mains and rpm crosses, and also a full bed of Volkyl cyclone 17, and Tourbite 17. The Tourbite was a bit too harsh for me. I really like the Volkyl Cyclone 17 strung at 48, I think I could even go as low as 45. Tons of dwell time and surprisingly good feel. The gut/rpm hybrid has nice feel, and gives you a bit more drive off both wings. Both setups feel pretty comfortable.

ka1m1ng
10-23-2012, 10:31 PM
i find the rad pro easy to hit heavy balls in the same direction, but hard to change direction. i'm guessing the racquet suits a full poly stringjob better, cos i'm currently using a hybrid- solinco TB and vanquish and i'm trying very hard to keep the balls from rocketing out of the court. i'm still in the midst of testing diff. stringjobs. i guess full volkl cyclone will be next.

Sreeram
10-24-2012, 05:42 AM
i find the rad pro easy to hit heavy balls in the same direction, but hard to change direction. i'm guessing the racquet suits a full poly stringjob better, cos i'm currently using a hybrid- solinco TB and vanquish and i'm trying very hard to keep the balls from rocketing out of the court. i'm still in the midst of testing diff. stringjobs. i guess full volkl cyclone will be next.

Radical pro is very powerful, can be a rocket launcher as well. But it is equally spiny as well. So one with good swing to add spin can easily control the power. When I am out of position and when I just push the ball in, I get great depth with this racquet. The first thing I tested with radical pro when I demoed was its ability to change direction and it is really great in doing it. May be because mine is stung with full poly. The racquets flex can easily overcome the harshness of a full poly string job.

ka1m1ng
10-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Radical pro is very powerful, can be a rocket launcher as well. But it is equally spiny as well. So one with good swing to add spin can easily control the power. When I am out of position and when I just push the ball in, I get great depth with this racquet. The first thing I tested with radical pro when I demoed was its ability to change direction and it is really great in doing it. May be because mine is stung with full poly. The racquets flex can easily overcome the harshness of a full poly string job.

what poly are u using now and tension?

SJSA
10-25-2012, 08:49 AM

The answer is Power and Maneuverability.
Go for Radical Pro if you want more power.
Go for PS 6.1 95 if you want more maneuverability.

Sreeram
10-25-2012, 09:17 AM
what poly are u using now and tension?

I am loyal to Tourna BHBR 16, tension 54.