PDA

View Full Version : Roger: "number 1 not in my hands anymore"

batz
10-19-2012, 05:59 AM
From Beyondthebaseline on twitter:

Roger on defending 3000 points in 3 weeks "It's a huge mountain ahead of me, No 1 is not in my hands anymore".

Goes on to say that he will try to play Paris but will review how he feels after Basel.

RAFA2005RG
10-19-2012, 06:21 AM
Might as well play everything if this is his last year.

pvaudio
10-19-2012, 06:24 AM
Might as well play everything if this is his last year.Do you not read the things you post afterwards to see just how foolish you sound?

RAFA2005RG
10-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Do you not read the things you post afterwards to see just how foolish you sound?

I was only going by a recent thread whereby Federer's fans were speculating he is retiring based on Federer's recent words. It's probably for the best, with Nadal coming back and all. And the arrival of Murray.

merlinpinpin
10-19-2012, 06:47 AM

I think you posted on the wrong thread. This is not about Nadal retiring, it's about Federer and year-end #1. :roll:

RAFA2005RG
10-19-2012, 07:00 AM
I think you posted on the wrong thread. This is not about Nadal retiring, it's about Federer and year-end #1. :roll:

What's Nadal retiring from? Care to make a bet over Nadal retiring this year? Can I interest you in $US1000?

beast of mallorca
10-19-2012, 07:02 AM
If he's smart, he will skip Paris.

Hope he doesn't. Want to see everyone who can play, participate in the tournament and play.

Hitman
10-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Djokovic has been the most consistent this year, and deserves the year ending number one. three slam finals, six masters 1000 finals. Federer has had a dream year, and it is incredible for him to get that ranking back, but we knew that with the amount of pointing he had to defend and that Djokovic could gain at the end of the season, Novak would likely reclaim the top spot.

cknobman
10-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Roger knows he blew his chances of a year end #1 for all intensive purposes.

He most likely is focusing on being fit and ready to compete for a record 7th YEC.

Russeljones
10-19-2012, 07:27 AM

It sure looks like this is how you approach your every post, as if it's your last.

sureshs
10-19-2012, 07:37 AM

I think you meant "for all intents and purposes."

sunof tennis
10-19-2012, 07:45 AM

He is number one in the world, won Wimbledon, and still in good health with a love of playing the games, why would he retire?

Cup8489
10-19-2012, 07:48 AM
He is number one in the world, won Wimbledon, and still in good health with a love of playing the games, why would he retire?

Ignore ***. he doesn't think these things through.

Prisoner of Birth
10-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Ignore ***. He doesn't think.

Corrected that for you.

Smasher08
10-19-2012, 07:57 AM
What's Nadal retiring from? Care to make a bet over Nadal retiring this year? Can I interest you in $US1000?

Yawn. If you're serious (and not just some overly obsessed serial onanist) then prove it. Share your IP address with him. That would definitely convince me.

But I bet you won't.

Steve0904
10-19-2012, 08:58 AM
He'll play Paris. He said pretty much the same thing after he won Madrid, but he still played Rome.

dysonlu
10-19-2012, 09:06 AM

C'mon now. Can it be more obvious that he's trolling? (Not that it bothers me -- I find some of his posts quite funny actually.)

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-19-2012, 09:18 AM
It wasn't really in his hands to begin with.

lawrence
10-19-2012, 09:24 AM

I'll bet $500usd and an account ban that it's not Feds last year either.
Not that it would do any good, because you morons make a new account every year.

sureshs
10-19-2012, 09:26 AM
I think Roger's last tournament will be the 2013 AO.

6-1 6-3 6-0
10-19-2012, 09:30 AM

I hope not. I still want Nadal to meet Federer at 2013 AO and 2013 USO, so not only can Nadal lead 4-0 in the hard-court slams, but also have beaten Federer at all 4 grand slams (including in the FINAL of all four grand slams).

sureshs
10-19-2012, 09:33 AM
I hope not. I still want Nadal to meet Federer at 2013 AO and 2013 USO, so not only can Nadal lead 4-0 in the hard-court slams, but also have beaten Federer at all 4 grand slams (including in the FINAL of all four grand slams).

If Nadal plays well at the AO, Roger will tank in the lower rounds and take his farewell bow. He will not allow himself to be defeated once again by Nadal in his last professional match - people will keep talking about that for decades.

Gonzo_style
10-19-2012, 09:35 AM

I doubt that he will retire so early in the next year, it will probably happen in USO 2013 or Wimbledon 2014.

kalyan4fedever
10-19-2012, 09:38 AM
anyone wishing #1 player in the world to retire is not a real tennis fan or is insecure.

sureshs
10-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Totally agree. See how posters talk about Nadal's injuries and don't want him to come back.

smoledman
10-19-2012, 10:38 AM
The thing is getting those 3000 points at the end of 2011 helped him get the #1 ranking back by July but was always his undoing as far as the YE#1. Too tough to defend those 3000 points with all the matches in his legs now. Even if he did, Djokovic would probably finish #1.

RAFA2005RG
10-19-2012, 11:14 AM

He knows he can't beat Nadal at a slam. He knows Murray is slowly gaining the upper hand over him too. What is there to look forward to? Same as when Sampras retired just after winning the US Open. I think Federer probably considered retiring just after winning Wimbledon this year and would have if there was no Olympics immediately after. He missed his chance at the perfect retirement, after Murray slaughtered him at the Olympics.

But really I was only going by this thread: "Wording of Federers Facebook post suggest retirement?"
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442908

Smasher08
10-19-2012, 11:17 AM
The thing is getting those 3000 points at the end of 2011 helped him get the #1 ranking back by July but was always his undoing as far as the YE#1. Too tough to defend those 3000 points with all the matches in his legs now. Even if he did, Djokovic would probably finish #1.

Djokovic has been healthier all season, and his year end ranking will reflect this. For me, Fed's undoing was getting injured in Madrid. This led him to decide on playing in Rome in order to accumulate points -- which he did -- but meant that come crunch time in the semis there and at RG he just couldn't get to top gear. A healthy Fed would likely have beaten Djoko at RG since the problem there was physical ailments which prevented Fed from holdng onto breaks and closing out his sets.

Fed was wise not to play T.O. since at age 31 he probably faced the risk of injury, but it meant that Djoko could stroll to a MS 1000 win without any serious competition.

Subtract the 1000 free points Djoker got in Toronto and you significantly change the complexion the YE race.

RAFA2005RG
10-19-2012, 11:27 AM
You mean like how Chardy slaughtered Murray in Cincy?

And btw the way my 'fraidy friend, now that you're back on this account, I bet you're still too chicken to take anyone up on their bets.

Bwak bwak bwak! ;)

You are so mentally defective, I would put you on my ignore list but I'd rather show my friends for comic relief. Thanks :D and don't ever change :D

smoledman
10-19-2012, 11:30 AM
He knows he can't beat Nadal at a slam. He knows Murray is slowly gaining the upper hand over him too. What is there to look forward to? Same as when Sampras retired just after winning the US Open. I think Federer probably considered retiring just after winning Wimbledon this year and would have if there was no Olympics immediately after. He missed his chance at the perfect retirement, after Murray slaughtered him at the Olympics.

But really I was only going by this thread: "Wording of Federers Facebook post suggest retirement?"

So when Fed won Cincy(without dropping a set or a break) beating Djokovic in the final(handing out a bagel) that was a sure sign he HAD to retire! :twisted:

Smasher08
10-19-2012, 11:30 AM

Oh dear, do you actually read the threads you refer to and post in?

If so, you would have noticed this in the OP:

"I don't mean to be pre-emptive and it is probably just because, although his english is very good it is not his first langauge, but the way that is worded it sounds like he wont be back in China. Strongly doubt this however, although the wording is eh..." (emphasis mine)

That changes the context quite a bit.

BreakPoint
10-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Can't you read between the lines? Nadal has ALREADY retired! :shock:

Most top ranked pros who take this much time off never come back. Sampras took 6 months off in 2003 and never came back. They start enjoying life away from tennis, have more money than they could ever spend for the rest of their lives, so they just say the heck with it as they get used to the comfortable lifestyle off of the grinding tour.

RAFA2005RG
10-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Most top ranked pros who take this much time off never come back. Sampras took 6 months off in 2003 and never came back. They start enjoying life away from tennis, have more money than they could ever spend for the rest of their lives, so they just say the heck with it as they get used to the comfortable lifestyle off of the grinding tour.

Can you help me with my sig, I've got this so far: "kishnabe said: Nadal is never going to win RG again."

Can you give me a definitive phrase about Nadal retiring in 2012 so I can put that in my sig too? Don't use exclamation marks or CAPS, I want you to say it as seriously as possible. Thanks.

paulorenzo
10-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I was only going by a recent thread whereby Federer's fans were speculating he is retiring based on Federer's recent words. It's probably for the best, with Nadal coming back and all. And the arrival of Murray.

that's, the arrival of THE murray, bub

MurrayMyInspiration
10-19-2012, 12:20 PM

He most likely is focusing on being fit and ready to compete for a record 7th YEC.

Haha it's intents and purposes man!! Everybody makes that mistake!

sureshs
10-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Haha it's intents and purposes man!! Everybody makes that mistake!

See post #12

cknobman
10-19-2012, 12:38 PM
I fail at grammar :(

*Sparkle*
10-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Unless he's feeling amazing by the end of next week, I can see him missing Paris. He must know it's a fools errand to chase year end number one, and ditching Paris is a deliberate shift from chasing points to chasing titles. In particular, the WTF. He'll have a better chance of winning the finals if he has a week's break in his home town while Djokovic and Murray are tiring each other out Paris.

kishnabe
10-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Can you help me with my sig, I've got this so far: "kishnabe said: Nadal is never going to win RG again."

Can you give me a definitive phrase about Nadal retiring in 2012 so I can put that in my sig too? Don't use exclamation marks or CAPS, I want you to say it as seriously as possible. Thanks.

Any person with a brain would know that what I said doesn't make sense.

I only put that as bait for you. Nadal will win RG again....but he gonna have losses there.

No way he gonna end with 1 loss. Nadal has at least 3 years of tennis left....he not gonna ever win CYGS like you predict every year.

PeteD
10-19-2012, 05:02 PM
I think you meant "for all intents and purposes."

. . . right, "for all intents and purposes" -- that clears up the thought

Mike Sams
10-19-2012, 05:03 PM

How is Nadal going to do that when Djokovic is going to eliminate Nadal from both the AO and USO? :)

Mike Sams
10-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Nadal should be back but I think now that Murray and Djokovic are in his way of ever winning anything off clay, Nadal might start taking long breaks from tennis. As great as Nadal is, the only chance he has of beating Murray and Djokovic back to back is on clay and even that will be difficult. Nadal has to contend with 2 younger guys who are as physically strong as him by the looks of it.

Zarfot Z
10-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Goderer is more dominant at RG than *******.

There

jokinla
10-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Let's see, who is more likely to retire, the guy who hasn't played since Wimbledon, or the guy who is currently #1?

jokinla
10-19-2012, 09:43 PM
Goderer is more dominant at RG than *******.

There

True dat, he has won more than Nads there!!!!!!!!

jokinla
10-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Any person with a brain would know that what I said doesn't make sense.

I only put that as bait for you. Nadal will win RG again....but he gonna have losses there.

No way he gonna end with 1 loss. Nadal has at least 3 years of tennis left....he not gonna ever win CYGS like you predict every year.

It's not crazy to think that Nads won't win RG again, next clay season will be really interesting, and could present severe complications to several posters if he doesn't win, cuz if he loses next summer, it's been a nice career Nads.

cc0509
10-20-2012, 01:23 AM
RAFA2005RG;6963782]I was only going by a recent thread whereby Federer's fans were speculating he is retiring based on Federer's recent words. It's probably for the best, with Nadal coming back and all. And the arrival of Murray.[/

I think you are the one who needs to worry about Murray with respect to Nadal on HC and grass. Plus, if Djokovic regains confidence at the end of this year in the next few tournaments on HC, Nadal could be his pigeon off clay when Nadal comes back. You should not speak until you see how Nadal does at the AO.

sbengte
10-20-2012, 02:45 AM

About your sig : Clarky may have her quirks like playing prophet of doom when it comes to Nadal, but I don't think she posts from multiple accounts. Most people wouldn't.

MethodTennis
10-20-2012, 03:38 AM

I was exaggerating when I titled that thread to try get more people to post in it -.- more likely hes not going back to china tbh

Sentinel
10-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Ah there you all go, falling for Bullzie's bait. (

Anyway, it's been on the wall for quite some time, that Sexi won't be finishing #1 this year.

For all intentional purposes. ;)

merlinpinpin
10-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Problem is, they can't met in the first round yet, as Nadal's ranking hasn't deteriorated enough. And as Nadal is fated to get a beating from Rosol in the second round of all four slams next year, he won't be able to face Federer later on in the tournament, obviously.

Tough luck, really.

But then, Nadal will be the first player in world history to have lost to the same player in the second round of the four slams, a record, and what will make it even more impressive is that he will make it a calendar grand slam of second round losses. Rosol's ranking will of course turn this into another record, as Nadal will also become the first top player in world history to get beaten by a player ranked #100 and worse in all four slams in a single year.

And of course, that will be all the opportunity needed to unleash your RAFALOSTINTHESECONDROUND2013 account on this poor, unsuspecting forum.

RogerFan1991
10-20-2012, 08:48 AM
If he's smart, he will skip Paris.

Haha thats what you want, not gonna happen. Murray just withdrew from basel, so the biggest rival for federer there could be del potro and in the final. So it might be a quicky tournament for roger, and he could arrive to paris fresher than ever.

merlinpinpin
10-20-2012, 09:06 AM

There's a difference, of course. Sampras decided to take time away from tennis, Nadal didn't. He got "awarded" some time away, on account of his knees (officially). First break was just "the next grand slam", second one is turning out to be six months to the day (no big surprise here, although they've been playing it as if he may come back "next week" from the start), and the next one will probably last for a full year (to the day, too). Oh well...

RF20Lennon
10-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Fed is right even if he does the sweep Djoko would have to play below par

Rhino
10-20-2012, 04:46 PM

Looks like Nadal doesn't have the guts to play any hard-court tournies actually, preferring to stick to the clay. Probably the only way he can preserve a decent H2H against Federer by keeping the meetings as clay-heavy as possible. Can you even imagine the beating Rafa would get if he dared play the WTF? Has Nadal ever been dealt a double bagel?

Sartorius
10-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Ah there you all go, falling for Bullzie's bait.

Hit the nail on the head.

I'm quite surprised that posters of TW fall into ***'s moronic crap (insult fully intended) time and time again, in multiple accounts.

Ultimately though what I'm most surprised is that how these accounts survive still.

RF20Lennon
10-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Hit the nail on the head.

I'm quite surprised that posters of TW fall into ***'s moronic crap (insult fully intended) time and time again, in multiple accounts.

Ultimately though what I'm most surprised is that how these accounts survive still.

Your Sig tells it all!! :)