PDA

View Full Version : Ricardas Berankis potential, what do you guys think?

tistrapukcipeht
10-19-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm watching this match between Bagdahtis and He, the guy is hitting winners left and right, excellent volley skills, very aggressive, hitting pretty hard. A little too aggressive, but what do you guys think this guy can achieve, this is the second time I see him playing (first in LA got demolished by Querrey) now playing much better.

El Diablo
10-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Not much. This issue of his potential has been coming up since he was a junior, he's 22 now and not making much noise, can't see any reason why that should change.

tistrapukcipeht
10-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Young players seem to be having tough times coming through at young age, most people seem to be having their best at or around 24, I'm saying he will win a slam, but I believe he can be a top 20 at best, who knows, Tipsarevic broke through the top 20 a couple years ago, a lot older, that is just one example. I do think he can be as good as Nishikori if not better, at least he has more power, I also think he is a better shot maker.

We'll see how he does from now on.

pvaudio
10-19-2012, 06:34 AM
People need to stop talking about potential and talent. What we need to see are results, and if we're not seeing them by age 20, you move on. Very few players peak late in age instead of career, with the one notable exception being John Isner. Seriously, look at the top 4 now? For the longest time, Djokovic and Murray were simply really good players that Nadal and Federer would have to get through, but they could crash out at any moment. Nonetheless, they stayed at the top of the game for years and years. Only now that the two giants are both aging and one unfortunately disintigrating that they both can come charging through. Even then, both Nadal and Federer won a slam title this year, Nadal beating Djokovic for his and Federer beating Murray for his. That's the sort of talent it's going to take to even get noticed these days, because even the likes of Ferrer (old) and Tsonga aren't threatening. Del Potro and Berdych are the two that these guys don't like seeing in their draw, but they're too steaky to be serious contenders. How does Del Potro go from winning 3 games against Federer at the AO to winning the USO against Federer in the same year? Then, he got injured and still is only threatening to make players weak, but not take the big titles. And you want to talk about Berankis who is more or less the age of Delpo, Djokovic and Murray?

tistrapukcipeht
10-19-2012, 06:42 AM
People need to stop talking about potential and talent. What we need to see are results, and if we're not seeing them by age 20, you move on. Very few players peak late in age instead of career, with the one notable exception being John Isner. Seriously, look at the top 4 now? For the longest time, Djokovic and Murray were simply really good players that Nadal and Federer would have to get through, but they could crash out at any moment. Nonetheless, they stayed at the top of the game for years and years. Only now that the two giants are both aging and one unfortunately disintigrating that they both can come charging through. Even then, both Nadal and Federer won a slam title this year, Nadal beating Djokovic for his and Federer beating Murray for his. That's the sort of talent it's going to take to even get noticed these days, because even the likes of Ferrer (old) and Tsonga aren't threatening. Del Potro and Berdych are the two that these guys don't like seeing in their draw, but they're too steaky to be serious contenders. How does Del Potro go from winning 3 games against Federer at the AO to winning the USO against Federer in the same year? Then, he got injured and still is only threatening to make players weak, but not take the big titles. And you want to talk about Berankis who is more or less the age of Delpo, Djokovic and Murray?

Explain me Ferrer at the age of 22 and age of 30?

Tipsarevic became a top 10 at age of 26.

Monaco bacame top 10 at age 28.

What you say in parts makes sense, there is no rule to anything.

How about Marcus Baghdatis (great player in my opinion) made his one slam final years ago and was never close again??

Berankis is 3-4 years younger, and of course He is not the same type of guy, still people can talk about whether or not he can be a top 20, top 30 and what not, you got a problem with don't write anything, spend your time more accordingly .:)

DejZ
10-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Berankis must play more patiently and work on his return game.He has a really good serve,great groundstrokes and awesome hands.His movement could be better also.I like to watch him and i hope that he can reach top 10.

tistrapukcipeht
10-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Berankis must play more patiently and work on his return game.He has a really good serve,great groundstrokes and awesome hands.His movement could be better also.I like to watch him and i hope that he can reach top 10.

Hit the nail on the head! He really needs to be more patient, I guess with more experience and he will be more calm and patient.

beast of mallorca
10-19-2012, 06:55 AM

He's lacking in weapons though. We badly need new blood to fire-up and make big dents on major events.

TheF1Bob
10-19-2012, 06:56 AM
The next Donald Young no doubt.

pvaudio
10-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Explain me Ferrer at the age of 22 and age of 30?

Tipsarevic became a top 10 at age of 26.

Monaco bacame top 10 at age 28.

What you say in parts makes sense, there is no rule to anything.

How about Marcus Baghdatis (great player in my opinion) made his one slam final years ago and was never close again??

Berankis is 3-4 years younger, and of course He is not the same type of guy, still people can talk about whether or not he can be a top 20, top 30 and what not, you got a problem with don't write anything, spend your time more accordingly .:)
You completely misunderstood my point. What I was saying is that throughout all of the players whom I listed's lives, there was always talk about them being great players even from a young age. Berankis is not that young. So my point is yes, he has the potential to be a top 20 player for sure. The question, just like it has been with Nalbandian, Young and Gasquet is whether or not they'll be able to reach that limit and what that limit is. I personally do not think it is that high.

beast of mallorca
10-19-2012, 06:59 AM

I disagree. There's nothing objectionable with Berankis (so far).
His game on the other hand might be a tad similar. We'll see.

DejZ
10-19-2012, 07:18 AM
He's lacking in weapons though. We badly need new blood to fire-up and make big dents on major events. There is no young player with a weapon in todays game except Raonic.

tistrapukcipeht
10-19-2012, 07:52 AM
You completely misunderstood my point. What I was saying is that throughout all of the players whom I listed's lives, there was always talk about them being great players even from a young age. Berankis is not that young. So my point is yes, he has the potential to be a top 20 player for sure. The question, just like it has been with Nalbandian, Young and Gasquet is whether or not they'll be able to reach that limit and what that limit is. I personally do not think it is that high.

Gotcha!

I think He can improve a good bit and gain more experience which will be extremely important for his results.

Watching it today, I'd compare him with Ferrer, Tipsarevic, Nishikori and a few others, of course each one has their unique strong point, but to Berankis amongst these and others with the same height hits the bigger than any one them maybe not by much when comparing with Tipsarevic, so the power is there already, now he needs to work on other aspects of his game in order to fulfill his potential.

I never heard of him until the LA tournament, so forgive my lack of knowledge about him.

tistrapukcipeht
10-19-2012, 07:54 AM
There is no young player with a weapon in todays game except Raonic.
I agree.

He's lacking in weapons though. We badly need new blood to fire-up and make big dents on major events.

He hits a big ball of both sides, I'm not sure if yo saw the match against Baghi, but berankis out hit him in multiple occasions.

No way, Donald Young doesn't have a strong solid game like him.

BTW Donal Young should not be in this conversation.

dominikk1985
10-19-2012, 08:16 AM
he is a relatively big hitter but he is relatively short. only like 5"9 or so I think. still he has a powerful serve but at his height that game might not be the best choice for him.

although he reminds me a little of grosjean who also was small but had a big FH.

surfvland
10-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Saw him play this year at UCLA where he almost lost in the qualies, before making it to the finals. His game reminds me of Nalbandian. Sweet backhand and for his size, a massive serve. I think if he can stay healthy, he could be a top 100 mainstay. He also seems like a nice humble kid.

stringertom
10-19-2012, 12:04 PM
He has great potential but has been on the shelf for seven weeks or more three times in the last three years just as he was approaching the big move from Challenger to ATP. If he can gain some momentum from the tail end of '12 and stay injury-free, '13 could see him as a dangerous floater in any major and from there a regular at the 500/1000 level. Let's hope top 40 by the end of '13 and seeding at majors for '14 and beyond. A second-week Slam regular would be my guess at where he peaks, not top 10.

zapvor
10-19-2012, 10:34 PM
yea hes no DY.
saw him hit at citi open. hes a nice guy, and for a smaller guy hits the crap out the ball. i think if hes more consistent he would have better results