PDA

View Full Version : Slazenger Pro Braided vs Donnay Pro 1 16x19

dcheung
10-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Both racquets have very close spec, anyone hit with both and appreciate sharing thoughts regarding comfort, power and playing characteristics.

Thanks in advance!

JMcQ
10-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Without getting into a super long breakdown, I'll try to give you the main points.

*Disclaimer - I currently play with the P1 but almost bought the Slazenger.

The P1 is more spin-friendly and powerful. The P1 is great from the baseline and good at net.

The Slazenger is the best volley frame I've ever used. Precise, precise, precise. However, it might be the stiffest frame I've ever considered purchasing. Ultimately, my shoulder and forearm said too stiff.

Serve and volleyers should love the Slazenger. All court players seem to love the P1.

jorel
10-19-2012, 12:18 PM
i think the slaz would play more like the pure drive and the pro one more like a prestige

JMcQ
10-19-2012, 12:35 PM
i think the slaz would play more like the pure drive and the pro one more like a prestige

The Pro One doesn't play anything like a Prestige. The P1 is far more powerful; the closest comparison for me was the new Rad Pro except the P1 is not as flexy as the Rad Pro.

Again, the Slazenger is a volleyers' dream, something I never found with the Pure Drive.

jjs891
10-19-2012, 01:09 PM
JMcQ

Have you ever played with Wilson 6.1 95s?
I currently play with N95 but have been looking for something less demanding racquet to change. I just bought a P1 off this board and am hoping that would be my answer.

If you can comment, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Hi I'm Ray
10-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Both racquets have very close spec, anyone hit with both and appreciate sharing thoughts regarding comfort, power and playing characteristics.

Thanks in advance!

Slaz: much stiffer, lighter feeling overall, swings much lighter, hits a bigger serve. For some reason, the big power on serve wasn't there on groundstrokes unless I took a really big swing. Felt like a more demanding racket than the P1.

Pro1: IMO swings much heavier than specs indicate. Easier pop on groundstrokes, more forgiving, sweetspot felt bigger. The P1 was definately more comfortable.

Brian72
10-19-2012, 02:29 PM
I've only had one string in this racquet, it's the Luxilon Big Banger ALU. And this racquet is too powerful for my game. I really struggle keeping the ball inside the baseline. So I'm surprised that some find this under powered on ground strokes. Does hit a big serve and is very solid at net, like others have stated.

No experience with the donnay.

Anton
10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Without getting into a super long breakdown, I'll try to give you the main points.

*Disclaimer - I currently play with the P1 but almost bought the Slazenger.

The P1 is more spin-friendly and powerful. The P1 is great from the baseline and good at net.

The Slazenger is the best volley frame I've ever used. Precise, precise, precise. However, it might be the stiffest frame I've ever considered purchasing. Ultimately, my shoulder and forearm said too stiff.

Serve and volleyers should love the Slazenger. All court players seem to love the P1.

I agree with everything. Slaz is a volley monster, but as much as I wanted to play with it there was just too much power from the stiffness. As I added enough weight to make it stable and comfortable I had to switch all the way to western grip to keep the ball in the lines, but it's smallish headsize is not really good for that sort of hitting.

Not big on P1, but I would chose it over the Slaz just because I'm more of a baseliner and don't play much doubles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37eQtn3Hlb0

gamerx52986
10-19-2012, 05:59 PM
I took both out for a demo and ended up purchasing 3 of the Slazengers. Now that I think back, I couldnt really find a fault with the Donnay. I purchased the Slazenger because I played better overall with it. To each their own but I find more than enough power with it on groundstrokes. Hitting a much heavier ball deeper in the court with ease. My serve has always been decent and earned some free points but my ace count has risen dramatically since the switch to the Slazenger. As others have mentioned it volleys incredibly well. As for the stiffness, Ive had wrist issues in the past and have yet to have a single twitch of pain from using it and Im using full bed of Beast XP in it.

dcheung
10-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I have tennis and golfer elbow, seems like P1 or Radical Pro could be the choice. Thank you guys for your input!