PDA

View Full Version : Customization ideas for Head Microgel Radical OS

hisrob777
10-19-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't quite like the racquet stock. I have been playing with 95 and 98 head sizes the last few years (Head Speed Pro, Wilson 95s). Trying the OS for the larger sweet spot and flex. I'm currently experimenting with lead at 12 and weight in the handle. Looking for more plow through and solid feel. I want to make this racquet work. Any other things I could do? Good string options? Is the control out the window with the 107 head size? I have played 12oz+ sticks so I like heavier frames. Thanks!

cluckcluck
10-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Have you thought about changing your string setup and tensions? That could open up the sweetspot of your 95's & 98's.

hisrob777
10-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Have you thought about changing your string setup and tensions? That could open up the sweetspot of your 95's & 98's.

Yeah I'm doing that too. Trying softer multis.

purple-n-gold
10-19-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't think it's a true 107". try a leather grip and lead a diff spots..silicone or something in the handle perhaps.

hisrob777
10-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Is that just a tube of silicone you buy for a caulk gun? Like at the hardware store?

Muppet
10-19-2012, 03:50 PM
A pro shop added lead tape and a replacement grip to my LM Rad OS to bring it to 11.9 oz. and 9 HL. I tried using multifilaments but didn't like it much, so I used it as a loaner for a long time. More recently, I strung it with Polylon Comfort then Focus Hex, with the cross 1 lb. higher. That gave it a more crisp feel and control, it being so wide. Then I felt like I still didn't have really good feel for the location of the head. Just 1g of lead tape at 12:00 helped. Now I can feel the whole racquet.

Your already trying weight at the top of the head and the handle, so maybe the 1 lb. higher cross will be a good thing for you to try next.

cluckcluck
10-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah I'm doing that too. Trying softer multis.

Why not try different hybrids at lower tensions? Try Dunlop BW 17 with a syn gut in the crosses (cross 2lbs lower than main).

purple-n-gold
10-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Is that just a tube of silicone you buy for a caulk gun? Like at the hardware store?

Walmart sells it in small tubes that do not require a gun, GE silicone II clear.

LeeD
10-19-2012, 05:56 PM
You still never mentioned your starting string tension or gauge.
Weight at 12 seems to affect serves the most.
Weight at 9 and 3 seems to stablize against mishits.
Most guys, when they go from mid to OS, increase string tension by 7-12 lbs.

LeeD
10-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Oh, and a PRO player once told me that using a OS allows for sloppy prep, and mishits are as prevelent as smaller rackets, that you need to concentrate, watch the ball, and stroke in balance.

hisrob777
10-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Walmart sells it in small tubes that do not require a gun, GE silicone II clear.

Thanks! I think I have some.

hisrob777
10-19-2012, 06:08 PM
You still never mentioned your starting string tension or gauge.
Weight at 12 seems to affect serves the most.
Weight at 9 and 3 seems to stablize against mishits.
Most guys, when they go from mid to OS, increase string tension by 7-12 lbs.

It's a multi at mid tension. I got the racquet in TW trade in program. It was Grade A for $75. Good deal. I'm gonna tweak it a little and if I still don't like it then I will move on.

hisrob777
10-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Oh, and a PRO player once told me that using a OS allows for sloppy prep, and mishits are as prevelent as smaller rackets, that you need to concentrate, watch the ball, and stroke in balance.

I'm learning that. Lol.

hisrob777
10-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Why not try different hybrids at lower tensions? Try Dunlop BW 17 with a syn gut in the crosses (cross 2lbs lower than main).

For sure. Dunlop BW 17 is my favorite poly.

LeeD
10-19-2012, 06:11 PM
I never used the Head OS rackets, but isn't the recommended tension the same as for the mids? 55-65.
Seems there's something wrong there.

hisrob777
10-19-2012, 06:31 PM
I never used the Head OS rackets, but isn't the recommended tension the same as for the mids? 55-65.
Seems there's something wrong there.

It's says 57 +\- 5lbs. Go figure.

LeeD
10-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Strange, only 2 lbs difference, yet easy 12 sq in difference in size.
My dialed 115 T Sticks get 72 lbs.
My Aero 200's around 54.
My Aero 500's 50.
I've rotated thru, using all of them, in a two week period, with few problems except for dragging the ground on the OS Prince.

ace0001a
10-19-2012, 10:31 PM
If the object is to get more mass/heft on that frame and keep the balance the same, you could try 10 total grams of lead tape spread evenly at 3 and 9 o'clock and 10 grams of the tape or silicone in the handle. I haven't tried it myself yet, but was told by a fellow forum member that would greatly improve one a modern light weighted Radical OS frame.

hisrob777
10-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I've got the racquet leaded up in preparation for my league match Monday night.

sm01
10-20-2012, 11:18 AM
I just bought a used microgel radical 0S also.

I came in at 10.9 oz strung. I am trying to make it into a spin monster to complement my mg prestige pros.

Per other posters, I added 1/2 oz in the handle via tacky putty available from the office supply store. I first stuffed the handle with cotton to contain the putty then pressed it in.

I then added lead tape at various locations, in amounts to make it about 6 pts hd lt like my pps. I tend to hit consistently on cross strings 4-7 from the top. So adding lead at 3 and 9 did not feel right. I tried 12 o'clock and that was not that great so I moved down to 10 and 2 and that's better--stacked 4 inch strips of lead centered on strings 3-8 and so far that's pretty good--not perfect--but pretty good. I will vary amounts for a while to see if I can dial it in. Its more stable but not to the level of the pp. Not as accurate either, but its very comfy on the arm. Its spinny by not hugely so at least not to the level I seek.

FYI--I am using rpm blast full bed 48 mains and 46 crosses--cups the ball well and decent control and power--I don't have to work hard to get consistent deep rally balls.

Thanks to all of the "professors" of tennis, LeeD, CJS, Drackulie, Mickeler, you all are helping a lot of people.

hisrob777
10-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I just bought a used microgel radical 0S also.

I came in at 10.9 oz strung. I am trying to make it into a spin monster to complement my mg prestige pros.

Per other posters, I added 1/2 oz in the handle via tacky putty available from the office supply store. I first stuffed the handle with cotton to contain the putty then pressed it in.

I then added lead tape at various locations, in amounts to make it about 6 pts hd lt like my pps. I tend to hit consistently on cross strings 4-7 from the top. So adding lead at 3 and 9 did not feel right. I tried 12 o'clock and that was not that great so I moved down to 10 and 2 and that's better--stacked 4 inch strips of lead centered on strings 3-8 and so far that's pretty good--not perfect--but pretty good. I will vary amounts for a while to see if I can dial it in. Its more stable but not to the level of the pp. Not as accurate either, but its very comfy on the arm. Its spinny by not hugely so at least not to the level I seek.

FYI--I am using rpm blast full bed 48 mains and 46 crosses--cups the ball well and decent control and power--I don't have to work hard to get consistent deep rally balls.

Thanks to all of the "professors" of tennis, LeeD, CJS, Drackulie, Mickeler, you all are helping a lot of people.

Thanks for the info

hisrob777
10-22-2012, 08:06 PM
UPDATE: I added lead strips at 10' and 2' and also a considerable amount of weight in the handle(silicone and lead). I played with it in my 4.0 league match tonight and WOW. My partner and I won 6-3 6-2. I served great. I could swing out with my forehand and was rewarded nicely. Big difference from stock specs. I might tweak a little more but overall it seems right. I have yet to experiment with strings so that's a whole other deal. Thanks again for the help guys!

beernutz
10-24-2012, 10:26 AM
I recently added lead at 9 and 3 but not yet in the handle and it made a huge difference in the plow-through feel of my microgel OS. I will try moving to 10 and 2 and adding a bit of weight to the handle to see what that does but I'm so far very satisfied with the improved feel.