PDA

View Full Version : Crack Check: Paint or Frame?

pheonix6579
10-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Just bought this frame from the boards and when I received the frame it had this little issue with the throat/bridge connection. Now, to take nothing away from the seller. Everything went fine and it may just be a paint issue, just wanted to get a few more opinions on paint crack vs stress fracture.

http://i49.tinypic.com/4gsxlh.jpg

LanEvo
10-19-2012, 09:07 PM
That looks like a crack to me, usually from stress during stringing and unproper mounting.

ricki
10-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Definitely a paint crack - paint is not flexy enough and cracks. I have same on some Prince Rebels - those with stiff poly strings seem to crack more as I can feel racquet flex on big hits. Cracked graphite composite is looking completely different and you would feel it

dr325i
10-20-2012, 03:40 AM
Definitely a paint crack - paint is not flexy enough and cracks. I have same on some Prince Rebels - those with stiff poly strings seem to crack more as I can feel racquet flex on big hits. Cracked graphite composite is looking completely different and you would feel it

where in the CZ are you?

pheonix6579
10-20-2012, 03:00 PM

This is kinda what I was thinking because its only on one side of the frame. But a few more opinions would be appreciated

UCSF2012
10-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Crack. This is the price of owning a Babolat. Light and powerful = thin graphite.

Seth
10-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Paint crack, says I.

WhereIsMacMac
10-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Man, why do people hate Babolat so much?

ricki
10-21-2012, 03:32 AM
where in the CZ are you?

Prague :-)

pkshooter
10-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Paint, the scratch is too shallow

db10s
10-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Paint, too shallow and the shape. To straight to be a frame crack.

UCSF2012
10-21-2012, 07:54 PM
What do all you idiots expect when graphite cracks? Would the paint magically stay intact? When a table breaks in half, do you expect all the items on the table to magically float in the air? The paint is supported by graphite. When a racket cracks on the outside, paint MUST break with it. There is no other way.

Here, the graphite split, and the paint went with it.

UCSF2012
10-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Paint, too shallow and the shape. To straight to be a frame crack.

Graphite are woven into fibres, which means they're straight.

When a crack propagates parallel to the fibres, you get a straight line paint crack. When a crack is perpendicular to the fibers, you get jagged edges protruding out. This is a parallel crack.

UCSF2012
10-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Man, why do people hate Babolat so much?

Because they crack.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-21-2012, 07:59 PM
TBH, I am not so sure it is anything more than a paint crack, Graphite usually cracks more visibly than that with some little jagged edges and some frame shape deformation.

It also strikes me as a strange place for a crack, unless there is a matching one on the other side.

That said, Babolats do seem to find ways to fall apart that were hitherto unheard of.

(the main reason so many ppl hate them)

UCSF2012
10-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Babolat's crack at the throat or 2/10 o'clock. This is the throat of the racket, quite possibly the most common place for a crack. When you see something like that in the danger area, it's wishful thinking hoping it's a scratch.

Why does a racket crack in that particular location? Because the racket flexes as you hit a tennis ball. The racket flexes in the direction of ball impact. That area in the throat is designed to reinforce the racket bend. Unfortunately, it's also one of the thinnest region of the racket, which makes it prone to fracture. The crack STARTS at the very thinnest portion of the graphite (which is the right-most area in the picture above) then it travels farther (which is to the left, in that picture).

In summary, it's a crack.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-21-2012, 08:12 PM
ok, I have seen them crack at 2/10 and also in the yoke, but not there.

doesn't surprise me though, damn things are pretty brittle..

pkshooter
10-21-2012, 08:35 PM
What do all you idiots expect when graphite cracks? Would the paint magically stay intact? When a table breaks in half, do you expect all the items on the table to magically float in the air? The paint is supported by graphite. When a racket cracks on the outside, paint MUST break with it. There is no other way.

Here, the graphite split, and the paint went with it.

Why so angry... Op if you really wanna know if its a crack put a screw driver to it :twisted: