PDA

View Full Version : Does the new cortex works? PD experience? and/or APD13?

Veninga
10-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Guys,

I love(d) my APDC, the specs are exactly right for me (especially with a thin string) but it hurts my shoulder. It just vibrates too much. Tried different set ups etc, but in the end it is a no go.

Also tried the APDGT, more power, more heavier to swing, and the same shoulder soreness.

Now the new APD13 is coming. With a new cortex system. Like the Pure Drive. Can anyone tell me if the nex cortex system really make a difference? Or is just marketing all over?

(and if its marketing what racket do you suggest me? thanks)

Roforot
10-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Too many variables. I've had bad luck demoing Pure Drives in the past (always had arm pain past playing) till the 2012 Pure Drive Roddick. Still, I bought one frame and will see how it does for another month or so before going all in with another order. I can't say if it's the cortex or other design feature that makes it more tolerable? Or perhaps I've built up elbow/wrist resistance in the past few years by playing?

I'm told the 2013 APDGT will be even more stiff. If you're having shoulder problems, I'd make sure you're using soft/friendly string first. There are several other brands that make arm friendlier frames that may be updated or on sale in 2013... Donnay XP-102 is very popular. Yonex ezone 98xi... and ofcourse the hot new Wilson Steam 99s (WIlson's being doing demos where people get to compare the APDGT to this frame and it seems like everyone's getting more spin and comfort-- ofcourse it's their own source).

Veninga
10-20-2012, 10:01 AM
you are right, wait and see.

also interested in the new v core xi 98. But do not know that stiffness rate.

gavna
10-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Yes the new cortex works very well.....in fact almost too well for many folks. Some folks feel its takes away too much "feel" - yeah like folks buy the APD GT and RDGT for the feel.

Roforot
10-21-2012, 04:09 AM
I've actually hit some of my best drop shots w/ the Pure Drive Roddick. Likewise, I've felt very good hitting a defensive/slice lob (my favorite combo!)... though it's stiff it seems to catch the ball well. What I am trying to calibrate is volleys... I'm still surprised by how deep the ball is landing and as a result going wide/long. Same deal w/ my backhand slice... but this is part of adjusting to the frame.

Actually surprisingly I'd say the feel of this frame is pretty good.
Don't know what other folks feel is missing. I feel more inclined to S&V w/ this frame!

davo81
10-21-2012, 07:18 PM
What I am trying to calibrate is volleys... I'm still surprised by how deep the ball is landing and as a result going wide/long. Same deal w/ my backhand slice... but this is part of adjusting to the frame.

Focusing on swinging down and across did it for me. No more backhand slices that are long (APD GT).