PDA

View Full Version : Stick with one or keep spending $?

TroutSc
10-20-2012, 05:58 PM
So how's this for random group of racquets...

Volkl pb7 (4 of them)

Bb London

Bab apdgt

Started with bab. Hurt the elbow.

Went on to the pb7. Loved it.

Tried the London, love it and bought it. Didn't like it, guess the demo was strung just right.

So, the bab and the bb are on the consignment wall.

My wife is playing the pb7 as well, so having extras is good.

I like the pb7. I feel i hit long with it too often. The bab, I feel like I can hit great forehands from all over the court and they always sneak in just right.

The London I think I just gave up on, but still think about it.

My thinking of the best way to go is to just let the bab and the bb sell and stick with the pb7s. Which is good since we have 4 and how nice is it to play the same setup as a spouse.

I don't really have a question, just thinking out loud more or less.
I'm also thinking I need to try a donnay formula 100. Maybe I need to stop reading the racquet forum ;)

I'm also trying to tone down the power on the pb7s. 2 I bought came with back widow full Polly. Which seems great but I worry about elbows and also probably suffer from forum reading paranoia so even if they didn't hurt, I'd probably imagine it due to reading about it. The other 2 pb7s are tour bite / vanquish hybrids.

Other than strings, any way to get the power down or is this over thinking the equipment issues when really it's probably just my random face opening/form issues.

Curious to hear from any other that play with the random collection above.

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Stick with one that you like overall. You just need a frame you're comfortable with. Almost all of your other issues can be solved simply by being a better tennis player.

If you want to reduce the power of your racket (without using poly), there are 2 options, raise your string tension, or lead up your racket to SW2.

What is SW2? When you add weight to the racket, it becomes more powerful. Most rackets are SW1. When you add weight, the ball just goes further and further. Eventually though, you keep adding weight and it stops going further, and any additional weight slows down your swing and your ball lands shorter as a result. When your ball finally comes back into the court, that is your SW2 range. However, it's a bit on the exhausting side to use some rackets like these, so your better options are to string with a higher tension on a soft string or to add more spin to your ball to have your shot drop into a safe location.

You are overthinking your equipment. You can play perfectly fine with your racket, you just need to improve your game.

If I blamed every issue in my game on my equipment, I'd never get any better. Even when you become a pro, there are many times where you just hit a bad shot, and it's 100% your own fault.

tata
10-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Could be technique. I have random days where the FH just goes long all the time. My suggestion is to be a bit more aware of your technique and where your racquet face is. You may need to close the face of it more after contact so you come over and finish over the ball. I know with the whole modern game being all about brushing and spinning the ball which encourages more open faces on the racquet. Otherwise, you may go the other way and try increase the racquet head speed and brush up harder to get the spin you need.

lobman
10-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Sorry to have to tell you but your post clearly indicates a case of one of the dreaded diseases known to tennis players--racquetaholism. I also suffer from this affliction and have asked the same question you ask many, many times. The answer I get from knowledgeable players is what you got in the two replies above. I know I should pick the racquet I like best and stick to it, but then I wander in the pro shop before a match, see the new collection on the wall, and, well you know the rest. But for what it's worth, pick the racquet you like best, stick with it, and work on your game. (Then, when you're playing a pick-up game, just for fun, reach in your bag and pull out that racquet you've been resisting the urge to try and fall off the wagon!)

VGP
10-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Spend your money on lessons from a qualified teaching professional with whom you get along. That will do you more good than any particular racket.

Rozroz
10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
i think the only thing that really matters is improving technique and have one good racquet(and replacement).
the proof?
all those times when some guy (usually older) with an outdated (usually lite) stick and old strings beat the ***** out of me :P
it's all psychological imo.
agree with poster above that any extra money should go for a good coach. if it's a good coach every penny is worth it.

VGP
10-22-2012, 10:23 AM
all those times when some guy with an outdated stick and old strings beat the ***** out of me :P

I like being 'that guy.' I use the Wilson Graphite Force Mid (1984) with their original nylon strings (sometimes when I use a frame I got off e-bay the strings are still good).

agree with poster above that any extra money should go for a good coach. if it's a good coach every penny is worth it.

Yup. A few quality lessons did wonders. WITHOUT changing rackets. Actually I even went older - Taiwanese PS85s to the Graphite Force Mids.

movdqa
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
I have a lot of frames in my closet but I find that I play best with the set that I mainly use. I sometimes use the other for fun but I should probably sell off most of them. I think that the best way to go is to find the frame which your arm can live with and then modify it to suit your game and then just stick with it. Sticking with a frame allows you to improve your technique without an additional variable.

I use a Prestige MP but it could just as well be a Radical MP or something similar from other companies. I just need the flex to be low-60s or below. I can fix just about anything else with lead tape.

On balls going long - maybe go a little more western on your forehand.

Eightmarky
10-22-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm also trying to tone down the power on the pb7s. 2 I bought came with back widow full Polly. Which seems great but I worry about elbows and also probably suffer from forum reading paranoia so even if they didn't hurt, I'd probably imagine it due to reading about it. The other 2 pb7s are tour bite / vanquish hybrids.

Other than strings, any way to get the power down or is this over thinking the equipment issues when really it's probably just my random face opening/form issues.

Curious to hear from any other that play with the random collection above.

I have black widow strung on one of my P1's and think it gives a good combination of power/spin. I would keep it and try adjusting your stroke slightly. I tried a full bed of tour bite 18 and found it underpowered. If you want to try strings first, try a full bed of tb 18 or maybe a low powered poly like SPPP.

Roforot
10-22-2012, 12:17 PM
<edit>
Tried the London, love it and bought it. Didn't like it, guess the demo was strung just right.

Why not figure out how the London was strung or try it again w/ a different string job. Maybe the strings were broken in b/c it was a demo?

Then you can buy a backup as I think they're on the cheap now.

Or... if you like the Babolat and feel you played better with it, try using a more friendly string setup?

Strings are very important. I can't make you love a frame, but I can make you hate any frame by changing around the string job.

SwankPeRFection
10-23-2012, 02:32 AM
Pick something that fits your game and stick with it. If you constantly change things, it'll never get consistant. The only thing that should be changing is yourself (getting better). Everything else should stay constant to minimize variables. You're going to have good days, bad days, and great days. That's you, not your equipment.