PDA

View Full Version : So, Wilson and Prince think they are clever with their new 16x15 patterns...

BlueB
10-21-2012, 12:33 AM
They have nothing on my new 14x10! :D

http://www.blueb.biz/tennis/14x10.jpg

Play test tomorrow...

themitchmann
10-21-2012, 03:32 AM
That's awesome.

zapvor
10-21-2012, 04:11 AM
lol you have to let us know how that plays

corners
10-21-2012, 04:14 AM
They have nothing on my new 14x10! :D

http://www.blueb.biz/tennis/14x10.jpg

Play test tomorrow...

Did the hoop distort?

You might want to check out threads by the poster Travlerajm, who has experimented with skipping strings in Prince frames. Here was his first attempt, I think: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=347846

He had a hard time finding stiff enough strings to prevent ridiculously high launch angle and severe control problems. You might want to look into the thick poly string offerings by Vortex. The old Hi-Ten super open pattern racquets used by Mark Woodforde had to be strung around 90 pounds with thick poly strings to be controllable.

Here's a paper that explains why high tensions are necessary in these very open patterns: http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/spinandstiffness.php

Kevlar strings are very useful as they are three times as stiff as a typical copoly if strung at the same tension. But they are not slippery so really only have value in the mains.

zapvor
10-21-2012, 04:21 AM
well thats a old prince so i think he used it as a test. its not like a $200 frame

KFwinds
10-21-2012, 04:42 AM
That is awesome; I love it - especially on one of my favorite all-time frames. You'll have to let us know how it plays!

The Meat
10-21-2012, 05:16 AM
If you skip holes in stinging jobs, is it illegal in tournament play?
Does that break the "uniform string bed pattern" rule?

BlueB
10-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Did the hoop distort?

You might want to check out threads by the poster Travlerajm, who has experimented with skipping strings in Prince frames. Here was his first attempt, I think: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=347846

He had a hard time finding stiff enough strings to prevent ridiculously high launch angle and severe control problems. You might want to look into the thick poly string offerings by Vortex. The old Hi-Ten super open pattern racquets used by Mark Woodforde had to be strung around 90 pounds with thick poly strings to be controllable.

Here's a paper that explains why high tensions are necessary in these very open patterns: http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/spinandstiffness.php

Kevlar strings are very useful as they are three times as stiff as a typical copoly if strung at the same tension. But they are not slippery so really only have value in the mains.

Thanks, Corners. Yes, I found Travler's posts after I strung this, few days ago. I kinda got disappointed that I'm not so clever either :)
Distortion, I don't know... When placed on top of my POG 90, it seems to be few mm wider and shorter. However, I didn't check it before the mod.
I used Live Wire 16 at 60 on mains and PPS 17 at 55 on crosses. After reading T's posts, It sounds that I should have gone at least 65 on crosses... Ah, well...
Few balls that I hit in the garage (I know, I know), seemed to be controllable, spinny and LOW (?!?) launch angle...

The last cross had to be strung as shared hole - it was a ***** to get through.

Yeah, Spectrum is an awsome frame! Nicest thing about this is that SW dropped by about 7, bringing it down to 327. I tend to like sub-330 SW.

From what I red before, it would be legal for tournaments.

Power Player
10-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Yes a low launch angle is what happens with spinny sticks. What i found is with spinnier sticks, i had to string at a lower tension to get a higher launch angle. Whereas with tighter patterns i can string a little tighter. That sounds opposite, but it is my experience.

Bowtiesarecool
10-21-2012, 08:37 AM
If you skip holes in stinging jobs, is it illegal in tournament play?
Does that break the "uniform string bed pattern" rule?

The rule only says that the pattern must not be less dense in the middle than at the edges.

db10s
10-21-2012, 08:47 AM
I did that once... Plays great with spin that will bounce the ball over the fence. But the strings last a few hours with 15L poly.....

BlueB
10-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Ok, mixed feelings about this experiment...

First of all, it didn't feel completely out of controll, just different.

I could hit crazy topspinns, as others mentioned. However, I had to commit to it, otherwise, if I chickened out, the ball would go long. None of those spinny shots seemed to have lots of pace.

Flat shots were hard to perform, easily long or into the net. Directional controll was good. I had to back of and go for placement.

Serves kinda sucked... No power, not too easy to put topspin either. Many long 1st serves. However, I could put easy sidespins on the first serve!

Power was lacking, in general.

The drop shots were pure poetry! Hands down the best setup ever for this - from the baseline, I could place the ball just above the net, 3-6ft over and they'd hardly bounce up.

Slices were great and easy. High floating slices would still bounce of nasty, changing direction up to 90 deg.

Volleys were great too, especially touch and slice.

Arm comfort was outstanding - softest string bed ever! Ennerving part was that I could feel (and hear) strings moving on almost every shot. They didn't always come back...

No damage to the racquet or strings, after one hour of play.

I think that more tension would be definitelly good. I might play a bit more like this, then I'll try some slippery syn gut, like PPS in the mains and poly crosses, all at 65lbs... Stay tuned!

Bartelby
10-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Interesting to see you've found spin sacrifices power.

ricki
10-21-2012, 11:33 PM
You need more mains: at least 16 to 18, and less crosses to keep playability

Like 16x 10 or 18x11

uk_skippy
10-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Prince have developed new strings for their racquets which are 1.35mm think. They've also said that using other, thinner strings will break quickly.

Wilson, at the moment, are suggesting using Luxilon 4G.

floydcouncil
10-22-2012, 06:07 AM
Luxilon will have the 4G "S" 15g (1.41mm) soon. I'm promised a set from Wilson's for one of my elite junior kid who loved hitting with the new Steam stick.

dadozen
10-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Luxilon will have the 4G "S" 15g (1.41mm) soon. I'm promised a set from Wilson's for one of my elite junior kid who loved hitting with the new Steam stick.

Hmm, looks like they are releasing a combo eh? I bet they will recommend this new 4G 1.41mm for the new Steams.

Bartelby
10-22-2012, 08:00 AM
So fewer strings but fatter.

Makes more sense than staying with a thing guage, but then again does it really make sense to change to that combination?

BlueB
10-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Don't know yet...
At the moment, I hit wit as much spin but way more power and precission and serve better with 16x19 Gut/Poly. I'll try my 14x10 with better string setup before I make the final call.

Hmmm, thick poly... Time to string with whacker string! Someone did that experiment in the past, with lots of success.

BlueB
10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
I restrung the crosses to 65, still with PPS syn. It is better!
Improvement in serve and control. No losses on topspin. A bit less magic on dropshots.
Next time I'll try to do poly.

BlueB
12-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Next project was a Pog Os with poly crosses at 60. That played the best, so far.
Both frames became few mm wider when strung like that.

Since then, I restrung both frames with normal pattern, nat gut 55 mains, poly 45 crosses. Like it bettet. Plenty of spin still, way more control.

matchmaker
12-29-2012, 03:52 PM
I think your experiment also somehow shows that more spin isn't everything. I am curious what will happen to those SET frames. It might well be just a fad, just like the Wilson Hammers that had a very shortlived period of popularity.