PDA

View Full Version : Mid sized racket is my only choice!!!

jankustra
10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
This is for mid size users only. I just want to know, whats your string setup?
Before I used to my Dunlop Aerogel 100 polystar energy 18/gamma syn.gut 18 tension 55/53.
I moved to Volkl PB 10 mid and I just use full cyclone 18 with tension about 53...
I think I want to try Head IG Prestige Mid... anyone can compare?

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-21-2012, 09:09 PM
I like slightly thicker strings (say, 17) and lower tension, (51ish) on my PB10mid (that I barely use anymore, but still...)

treblings
10-21-2012, 09:28 PM
i started a thread recently on the string forum here, what strings and tension to use on my prestige mid. itīs an old version with twaron in it from 1987
currently i play sonic pro at 25kg/???lbs but want to try out different set-ups over the winterseason
as somebody who started out with wooden racquets and natural gut, i will probably give natural gut a try as well

AndrewD
10-21-2012, 11:53 PM
i started a thread recently on the string forum here, what strings and tension to use on my prestige mid. itīs an old version with twaron in it from 1987
currently i play sonic pro at 25kg/???lbs but want to try out different set-ups over the winterseason
as somebody who started out with wooden racquets and natural gut, i will probably give natural gut a try as well

I have the exact same racquet - original Prestige Pro circa 1987- and have satisfactorily used a wide range of strings in it. Putting aside natural gut (can't use at the moment due to the poor state of the original grommets - 25 years of use will do that to them) I haven't found that I preferred basic synthetic over multi. I haven't really liked most polys (loathe shaped poly in it) but am currently using a very simple and inexpensive Prince Poly Gut 17g strung low at 45-50lbs. If I do fix the grommets and go with natural gut, I prefer something a bit firmer like Pacific.

The only thing I always go for is a 17g string. Just opens the string pattern up nicely; don't like the feel or performance of 15 or 16g.

Hi I'm Ray
10-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Recently strung up a modified, old Yonex 90 w/full bed of Cyber Blue (I think 1.20mm) at 43/45lbs with power pads. Plays great, doesn't feel like low tension at all compared my usual 51-53lbs poly/syn gut in a APDGT. First time using power pads & liking it so far on the small head size.

PB10 mid - Co-Focus 1.17 / Cyber Blue @ 52/54lbs. I think a more spin oriented/shaped main string fits better with this frame for me. Self reminder to try a lower tension for the shorter crosses.

Choice of string was just what I had around.

roundiesee
10-22-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm using the latest BLX Prostaff 90 with RPM in the mains and Sensation in the crosses at 52lbs. I find this gives me the most control over my shots, though I really plan on moving away from polys and into something softer like NXT. I have heard good things about SPPP so may give this a try (hybrid with sensation or NXT). Overall I am happy with my current setup though and have played really good doubles recently with this racket and string setup.

treblings
10-22-2012, 12:47 AM
I have the exact same racquet - original Prestige Pro circa 1987- and have satisfactorily used a wide range of strings in it. Putting aside natural gut (can't use at the moment due to the poor state of the original grommets - 25 years of use will do that to them) I haven't found that I preferred basic synthetic over multi. I haven't really liked most polys (loathe shaped poly in it) but am currently using a very simple and inexpensive Prince Poly Gut 17g strung low at 45-50lbs. If I do fix the grommets and go with natural gut, I prefer something a bit firmer like Pacific.

The only thing I always go for is a 17g string. Just opens the string pattern up nicely; don't like the feel or performance of 15 or 16g.

first generation, brown paintjob?did you find it used or have you owned it all the time?
iīm thinking about thinner strings too, mainly because my stringer has troubles with the thicker strings and the caps

pshulam
10-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Main: top spin cyber flash 17 @55lb
Cross: Gosen OG sheep 17 @55lb

boinz
10-22-2012, 07:05 PM
currently running 2 set ups on PC600
1) VS 16 mains/RPM Blast 17 cross @ 58/56lbs
2) VS team 17mains/Alu Rough 16 cross @ 55/53lbs

the feel and playability on the first combi is better for me. Somehow I just cant fall in love with Luxilon strings. Might toy with thinner gut to pair with the RPM going forward

AndrewD
10-22-2012, 07:18 PM
first generation, brown paintjob?did you find it used or have you owned it all the time?
iīm thinking about thinner strings too, mainly because my stringer has troubles with the thicker strings and the caps

Yes, first generation, brown paintjob, twaron, etc. I bought it second hand ($30) but almost completely unused (few scuffs on the bumper, grommets immaculate and freshly strung). Seen a lot of wear since then but that's what it was built for.

One thing I will say about the original Prestige is that all of the ones I've picked up feel a touch thicker than the more recent models (from iPrestige on). I was led to believe the specs haven't changed but there's definitely a different feel in the hand.

dhdriver
10-22-2012, 08:51 PM
I have two Youtek Prestige Mids. One is strung with Kirschbaum Pro Line X 17 at 52 pounds. It feels great but I couldn't find much depth in my shots. A friend suggested that I string maybe a little lower (like 48 pounds). I also ask Chris at TW what tension he strung Pro Line X at in his play test and he also said 48 pounds.

My other prestige mid is unstrung but I was gonna string with some Weiss Cannon Mosquito. I love 18 gauge polys. Anyone have suggestions on what tension I should try it at?

treblings
10-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Yes, first generation, brown paintjob, twaron, etc. I bought it second hand ($30) but almost completely unused (few scuffs on the bumper, grommets immaculate and freshly strung). Seen a lot of wear since then but that's what it was built for.

One thing I will say about the original Prestige is that all of the ones I've picked up feel a touch thicker than the more recent models (from iPrestige on). I was led to believe the specs haven't changed but there's definitely a different feel in the hand.

iīve basically only played the older models, so i canīt compare.
playing with 2nd gen prestige pro, because i have three of them:) and only one first generation. which by the way is about 20g heavier.
prestige classic and prestige tour are playing a bit different, not quite as flexible imo

AndrewD
10-23-2012, 02:23 PM
iīve basically only played the older models, so i canīt compare.
playing with 2nd gen prestige pro, because i have three of them:) and only one first generation. which by the way is about 20g heavier.
prestige classic and prestige tour are playing a bit different, not quite as flexible imo

Mine certainly feels a bit heftier than newer ones but I've never bothered to have the specs checked.

Biggest question is, assuming you'll never find another one (my first gen Prestige), what do you replace it with? I've been asking that question for 5 years and still haven't come up with a reasonable answer. Newer Prestige Mids don't feel the same (feel stiffer and not as stable) but I don't know what else there is to try. Dunlop 100's are pretty flimsy; Wilson 90's and Prince Mids are too stiff; Volkl and Yonex Mids don't cut it either (apart from the C10 Mid which is sadly unavailable) and that's all I've been able to find.

Timbo's hopeless slice
10-23-2012, 02:34 PM
you didn't try the PB 10 Mid, at all?

I liked those a lot.

I know what you mean, though, mate of mine (also called Andrew, actually!) plays with iPrestiges but has one of those first gen ones in his bag, I had a hit with it last night.
Yep, I'd totally have that!!

roundiesee
10-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Mine certainly feels a bit heftier than newer ones but I've never bothered to have the specs checked.

Biggest question is, assuming you'll never find another one (my first gen Prestige), what do you replace it with? I've been asking that question for 5 years and still haven't come up with a reasonable answer. Newer Prestige Mids don't feel the same (feel stiffer and not as stable) but I don't know what else there is to try. Dunlop 100's are pretty flimsy; Wilson 90's and Prince Mids are too stiff; Volkl and Yonex Mids don't cut it either (apart from the C10 Mid which is sadly unavailable) and that's all I've been able to find.

I think the latest BLX Prostaff 90 is not that "stiff"; I agree, the previous K90 and perhaps the KPS88 was "stiff" but I think this latest version is quite comfortable. I have a history of a bad elbow, and I currently use this with a poly hybrid at 52lbs. So far no problems (fingers crossed, :) )

treblings
10-23-2012, 09:25 PM

the first gen is truly rare, other early versions can still be found at auction sites, etc.
of the modern rackets i would like to demo the pacific vacuum90 or the vcore89.

AndrewD
10-23-2012, 09:37 PM
you didn't try the PB 10 Mid, at all?

I liked those a lot.

I know what you mean, though, mate of mine (also called Andrew, actually!) plays with iPrestiges but has one of those first gen ones in his bag, I had a hit with it last night.
Yep, I'd totally have that!!

I've thought a lot about the PB 10 but have doubts that I'll like it (not sold in Australia so have to buy and hope for the best).

The reason for my hesitancy is due to my experience with the t10 MP Gen II and the dnx10 mid. I found them both to be far less head light and have a higher swingweight than their specs (as reported by TW) claimed them to be. Also, with the t10 MP Gen II, while it was flexy, it was very jarring on anything hit outside the sweetspot. Not a problem I ever had with the Prestige despite it being quite a bit smaller (89.5sq).
I guess that's all made me a bit gun shy when it comes to taking a chance with one of the Volkl racquets.

That being said, I wonder if anyone can compare the PB 10 Mid to the C10 Tour Mid (93) ?

Funnily enough, I use the original Prestige but have a couple of iPrestige Mids in my bag. Don't like the feel of them at all - lacks the solid and comfy heft of the old Prestige Pro.

treblings
10-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Funnily enough, I use the original Prestige but have a couple of iPrestige Mids in my bag. Don't like the feel of them at all - lacks the solid and comfy heft of the old Prestige Pro.

as i said, there should be a weight difference of about 20g between the original and the iprestige. applying that amount of lead to the iprestige without changing the balance of the racquet might work wonders.
should be worth trying.
iīve used the iprestige mp for some years and am a fan, just like the mids better