PDA

View Full Version : Racquet headsize related to court surface

un6a
10-22-2012, 03:50 AM
I play about 95% on red clay, but sometimes in winter season i play on hard courts too. Me and all my sparrings noticed that playing on HC is much much easier. Ball jumps a little bit faster, a little bit lower and bounce is very predictable and constant. I noticed that i prefer midsize racquet on this HC sessions, because it is really hard to frame ball and better control is always welcome. I always feel like i'm one level better playing on HC. But when i'm back on clay it is easier for me just play with midplus.
I think that transition from clay to HC is much easier than other way around, at least at recreational level. Anyone have similar experience ?

treblings
10-22-2012, 04:01 AM
I play about 95% on red clay, but sometimes in winter season i play on hard courts too. Me and all my sparrings noticed that playing on HC is much much easier. Ball jumps a little bit faster, a little bit lower and bounce is very predictable and constant. I noticed that i prefer midsize racquet on this HC sessions, because it is really hard to frame ball and better control is always welcome. I always feel like i'm one level better playing on HC. But when i'm back on clay it is easier for me just play with midplus.
I think that transition from clay to HC is much easier than other way around, at least at recreational level. Anyone have similar experience ?

the transition to indoor courts is also easier for me. with one exception, the light is really bad sometimes. as you said, the ball bounce is much more predictable and the faster courts make me flatten out my strokes. so that suits me well, since im playing with a mid:)
on clay courts in summer, i sometimes feel the need to add more topspin and a midplus with an open string pattern seems desirable

lobman
10-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Have had same experience although in my case going from a midplus on HC to using oversize on clay. Same principle though, right?

sureshs
10-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Anyone have similar experience ?

Federer.

He was able to win the FO only once with his small head (when Nadal was injured).