PDA

View Full Version : Are these the best groundstrokes of the tour?

melele
10-22-2012, 04:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T3xK6pvucY

Nico Almagro ftw

joeri888
10-22-2012, 04:40 AM
They sure look nice, but not consistent enough, and too far behind the baseline.

Cup8489
10-22-2012, 05:34 AM
I love Almagro's backhand, for sure.

The Bawss
10-22-2012, 05:45 AM
He has great groundstrokes, nice serve. A complete game.

I have a lot of time for him.

hoodjem
10-22-2012, 05:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T3xK6pvucY

Nico Almagro ftwStance is too open. He needs to turn his body more. Gotta love the BH.

AnotherTennisProdigy
10-22-2012, 05:56 AM
Beautiful backhand

jankustra
10-22-2012, 07:24 AM
almagro is fine, but he can not beat rios agassi or guga baseline game...

5point5
10-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Stance is too open. He needs to turn his body more. Gotta love the BH.

LOL, this guy thinks he knows better than Almagro...

joeri888
10-22-2012, 08:05 AM
It IS strange how he's never made an ATP final off clay.

President
10-22-2012, 08:47 AM

I think it must be more mental than anything else at this point, this guy has some of the best groundstrokes on tour IMO on both wings and a huge serve as well. I guess he is just a little uncomfortable with the quicker pace of play on hard court and the quicker movements compared to clay.

Gonzo_style
10-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Nicolas has a great strokes, but he is sometimes too defensive, especially on fast surfaces...

Shaolin
10-22-2012, 09:17 AM

It's not strange. He needs a lot of time to set up for his backhand, which only clay affords him. Notice how he's standing 90 feet behind the baseline on hardcourt.

arche3
10-22-2012, 09:23 AM

I'd have to say while these are nice Federer has the best Bh in atp. Of the one handers. Beautiful strike. And his slice is particularly suited for the modern game of top spin. His slice neutralizes and sets up his big fh.

Gonzo_style
10-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I'd have to say while these are nice Federer has the best Bh in atp. Of the one handers. Beautiful strike. And his slice is particularly suited for the modern game of top spin. His slice neutralizes and sets up his big fh.

Did you see QF Shanghai Wawrinka-Federer?

jaggy
10-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Ditto, a great stroke

rofl_copter3
10-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Gotta agree here, the Fed topspin backhand is probably second tier for a one hander... Haas has my vote for number one but Gasquet Wawrinka and Almagro are all right there...
The big thing Federer and Haas do though is take the ball on the rise instead of stanking five feet behind the baseline

Gonzo_style
10-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Gotta agree here, the Fed topspin backhand is probably second tier for a one hander... Haas has my vote for number one but Gasquet Wawrinka and Almagro are all right there...
The big thing Federer and Haas do though is take the ball on the rise instead of stanking five feet behind the baseline

Yeah, Wawrinka handle Nadal's FH on clay better than Fed, but of course Federer is better in everything else!

arche3
10-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Wawrinka probably has a more safe? Bh. But fed on is just incredible. I didn't see that match. I'll have to watch now.

Gonzo_style
10-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Wawrinka probably has a more safe? Bh. But fed on is just incredible. I didn't see that match. I'll have to watch now.

In first and second set Waw won almost all BH to BH changes, i think his BH is better than Fed's, Wilander also said that...

arche3
10-22-2012, 11:00 AM
In first and second set Waw won almost all BH to BH changes, i think his BH is better than Fed's, Wilander also said that...

Wow. I would never think that. But I saw a posted video of waw on here hitting some insane bhs.
Perhaps it's because waw hits a loopier bh than fed.

paulorenzo
10-22-2012, 11:06 AM
never noticed how much wrist action his forehand has.

Tennishacker
10-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Nice forehand, average backhand.

Many better BH, french, spaniards, swiss, etc.

rofl_copter3
10-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Fed hits more of a half volley than a driving shot and Stan also has better hip drive into his backhand. Stan hits a nearly perfect fundamental one hander...

Cup8489
10-22-2012, 03:25 PM
someone should post some bh to bh exchanges of Fed-Wawr shanghai match.

akv89
10-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm a fan of one handed backhands, but Almagro is not among my favorites. He barely uses his legs and relies mostly on his upper body for all that power, resulting in a lack of consistency. I prefer Kohlschreiber's, Wawrinka's, or Gasquet's OHBH to his.

dominikk1985
10-22-2012, 03:59 PM
he does have great strokes although the huge swings he takes often requires that he stands a little farther back.

technically and power wise his shots are as good as anyone on the tour but I guess he doesn't have the footwork and mental strength.

I already said in another thread that is is of course not as good as the top 4 but compared to his countrymen ferrer he actually has better strokes and weapons.

and still ferrer is top5 and is a perennial QF to SF guy while almagro is borderline top 10.

what exept fitness and taking balls early can ferrer do better than almagro?

Backhanded Compliment
10-22-2012, 05:53 PM
almagro is fine, but he can not beat rios agassi or guga baseline game...

^^^this

Guga could do a lot more off the baseline from either side. Nico is unlucky to be a few inches shorter than he needs to be as well. Overall Nico needs more consistency and variety (creativity?) to hold that title.

These days Nole is the king but Murray can sometimes best him. It depends on the day.

Great vid though... lots to learn from that footage.

Backhanded Compliment
10-22-2012, 05:56 PM
he does have great strokes although the huge swings he takes often requires that he stands a little farther back.

technically and power wise his shots are as good as anyone on the tour but I guess he doesn't have the footwork and mental strength.

I already said in another thread that is is of course not as good as the top 4 but compared to his countrymen ferrer he actually has better strokes and weapons.

and still ferrer is top5 and is a perennial QF to SF guy while almagro is borderline top 10.

Ferrer cant beat the heck out of the ball like Nico can but he's got better movement, consistency and yes creativity. Ferrer has better point construction and patience. He also returns very well.

President
10-22-2012, 06:18 PM

For a guy who's 6 feet tall at best, Almagro's movement is downright terrible. Ferrer arguably has the best footwork on tour. That's Ferrer's main advantage over Almagro, in my opinion. Almagro does just about everything else better, if he had Ferrer's footwork he would be top 5 easily if not better.

Sim
10-23-2012, 06:08 AM
For a guy who's 6 feet tall at best, Almagro's movement is downright terrible. Ferrer arguably has the best footwork on tour. That's Ferrer's main advantage over Almagro, in my opinion. Almagro does just about everything else better, if he had Ferrer's footwork he would be top 5 easily if not better.

Almagro with Ferrer's footwork would probably beat Nadal everytime on hc (and some wins on clay)

Have they even played on hc? lol

okdude1992
10-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Almagro with Ferrer's footwork would probably beat Nadal everytime on hc (and some wins on clay)

Have they even played on hc? lol

lets not get carried away. he's still a choker. and oh yea nadal isnt a chump on hc

Bobby Jr
10-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Almagro has great shots off both wings - amongst the best ever...

...until he plays someone who can play tennis and then he gets shown up for the significant shortcomings in his game.

That's why his tournament record against the top ten looks like it does.

Federer20042006
10-23-2012, 04:44 PM

I really think Haas's backhand is the most overrated shot in tennis. He simply does not hit winners with it, and Nadal breaks his backhand down twice as fast as he does Federer's.

Wawrinka's...yeah, his is devastating when it's on. But I will never understand all the hype surrounding Haas's backhand.

BorisBeckerFan
10-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Just goes to show it takes a lot more to win tennis matches against the top guys than having some of the sickest, wicked strokes on the planet. In many ways Almagro has better strokes than some of the people ranked ahead of him but tennis is so much more than having awesome strokes.