PDA

View Full Version : Lighter racket that plays groundstrokes like Head YouTek Prestige MP

jpletka
10-22-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm a 3.5 (M-39) player and am looking for a new racket that plays similar to the Head YouTek Prestige MP from the baseline, but is lighter and more maneuverable. I love my Head as long as I'm behind the baseline, however at 12.5 oz strung (I have two strips of tape at 3&9), I find it too unwieldy for volley shots at the net, and I often find myself slow to get it into position if the shot comes with any pace at all.

I've demoed a Babolat AeroPro Drive GT and had a lot of trouble consistently hitting my backhand with it. I've also demoed the Wilson BLX Pro Staff Six.One 95, but found it very unforgiving for off-center shots.

Any advice on which racket to try next? Another option would be to take the tape off my Head, but I've been playing with it balanced that way for two years and don't want to mess with it too much.

Thanks

LeeD
10-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Take the tape off the head of your racket.
Seriously, you need to learn to volley, not blame it on any racket.
I'm 63, just switched from 12.4 oz Dunlop200's to 10.2 oz 500's. I agree a lighter racket is better in all respects. But not for the same reasons as yours.
Pros can volley any racket, can hit backhands with any racket. It's not the racket's fault, it's YOU.

LeeD
10-22-2012, 02:06 PM
And the lighter racket plays totally different. Usually stiffer.
Don't matter, at your level, you adapt. At 6.0, you change rackets and still need to adapt.

Fed Kennedy
10-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Just get a head radical mp

BlueB
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Replace the original grip with the lightest you can find, maybe even just an overgrip. Then remove as much lead from the hoop, as required to come to the same ballance you are used to. Simple.
I saved you quite a bit of money ;)

sunof tennis
10-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Just get a head radical mp

A Boris Becker London MP is also a good alternative if taking lead off doesn't work/