PDA

View Full Version : Volkl C10 Pro

MikeHitsHard93
10-22-2012, 03:09 PM
So I talked to tenniswarehouse today to figure out my return and decided to ask about a more stable and easy to use racket with low power. They recommended the c10 pro as it has a little bit of power, a good sweet spot, and nice flex. Anyone hitting with this racket that may be able to give some opinions?

matchmaker
10-22-2012, 07:30 PM
The C10 Pro is actually not really low powered. It has medium power, quite amazingly if you consider its flex and swingweight. I had to put in poly strings to control the power. Quite a unique racquet. Either you'll love it or you'll hate it. Good all round performer. It has a very pronounce flex, yet at the same time the power level shows that there is some stifness in the frame.

MikeHitsHard93
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Hmm ok well is there a racket that has similar specs but low power?

smirker
10-22-2012, 10:29 PM

PK Redondo MP. Read the reviews.

Bartelby
10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
C stands for catapault or what?

rlau
10-22-2012, 11:07 PM
C stands for Classic....

Bartelby
10-22-2012, 11:12 PM
That makes sense although it couldn't have started life as a classic, presumably.

treblings
10-23-2012, 12:44 AM
That makes sense although it couldn't have started life as a classic, presumably.

:) probably refers to the specs of the frame which might be considered classic in terms of weight, balance, width,...
the PK Redondo is also categorized as Type C i think, no idea what the C stands for in that case. could also mean classic i guess

McLovin
10-23-2012, 04:29 AM

One racquet I'm keeping an eye on is the Yonex VCORE Tour 97. Slightly stiffer, but rated as a low power frame.

I used the C10 Pro for a year, and loved it, but found it was too heavy for me to play with over the course of a 3 set match. I switched to the Pacific X Force Pro, and I love that frame, but the Yonex intrigues me. Might be worth a look.

ericsson
10-23-2012, 05:23 AM
The C10 Pro is actually not really low powered. It has medium power, quite amazingly if you consider its flex and swingweight. I had to put in poly strings to control the power. Quite a unique racquet. Either you'll love it or you'll hate it. Good all round performer. It has a very pronounce flex, yet at the same time the power level shows that there is some stifness in the frame.

I agree with MM, you love it or you hate it, the racket has a unique Volkl feel and is full bodied. Great to serve!
Go for the softer co-poly at mid tension and you have yourself a leathel weapon...

MikeHitsHard93
10-23-2012, 05:35 AM
PK Redondo MP. Read the reviews.

Yeah this is one of the rackets that really interests me! I like classic feeling rackets like the 6.0 95 so this might be a winner

mikeler
10-23-2012, 05:39 AM
A friend of mine uses it. I could feel the racket bending and did not like that.

MikeHitsHard93
10-23-2012, 05:46 AM
A friend of mine uses it. I could feel the racket bending and did not like that.

Yeah the 6.0 classic 95 bent the same way. It was quite low powered and I felt like I could place the ball. If the redondo was like 11 ounces and flexible (ie XForce) then I wouldn't look at it. A racket with that much flex, in my opinion, needs some weight behind it.

At least I am giving PK a shot ;) I was also looking at the new ki Q5 315. The C10 was referred to me by TW

MikeHitsHard93
10-23-2012, 05:54 AM
One racquet I'm keeping an eye on is the Yonex VCORE Tour 97. Slightly stiffer, but rated as a low power frame.

I used the C10 Pro for a year, and loved it, but found it was too heavy for me to play with over the course of a 3 set match. I switched to the Pacific X Force Pro, and I love that frame, but the Yonex intrigues me. Might be worth a look.

I have been looking at this frame too, however I have never hit with a yonex

max
10-23-2012, 05:59 AM
If you like the Wilson 6.0/95 you will like the Volkl C-10 Pro. No question.

MikeHitsHard93
10-23-2012, 06:05 AM

Please elaborate for me lol

mikeler
10-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Pro Kennex is always worth a look for arm sufferers. McLovin and I were discussing how we have both gone down in weight on our rackets. Some of those sticks are just hard to use over the course of a long match.

McLovin
10-23-2012, 06:47 AM

I wouldn't say 'no question', but it is highly likely. The only issue is where the flex happens, and if it bothers you. If memory serves, the 6.0 flex was more in the throat, where the C10 is more in the hoop. At least that is how I would describe it.

smirker
10-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Yeah this is one of the rackets that really interests me! I like classic feeling rackets like the 6.0 95 so this might be a winner

Hi Mike. PK make some great frames but they have zero presence here in the UK. I can order from TW Europe but not demo. Here it is hard to get much outside of the big 3 (Bab,Head,Wilson) to demo. Would love to try the Ki5 but might just have to buy on spec. The Redondos etc very hard to come by but I have hit with one. Nice, flexible frame. No whistles or bells. you get out exactly what you put in which I found too tiring after a couple of sets. The Ki5 is more up my street being a less powerful. more comfortable version of a Pure Drive.

corners
10-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Chris gave the C10 very high marks in a thread over in questions:

My scores would look like this:
Power 85
Control 80
Maneuverability 77
Stability 83
Comfort 92
Touch/Feel 90
Serves & Overheads 84
Groundstrokes 84
Returns 82
Slice 90
Topspin 84
Volleys 86
Overall 87

Chris, TW

I think he gave this stick a higher combination score on power (85) and Feel (90) than any other midplus he's tested. In his reviews it's usually only mids that get Touch/Feel scores over 80.

danix
10-23-2012, 01:11 PM
If you like the old PS, the PK Q Tour is a better match for you. The Q5 is stiffer and more like a Pure Drive in feel.
If you are above a 4.0, try the Q Tour.

MikeHitsHard93
10-23-2012, 02:13 PM
If you like the old PS, the PK Q Tour is a better match for you. The Q5 is stiffer and more like a Pure Drive in feel.
If you are above a 4.0, try the Q Tour.

I'm slightly below 4.0. Almost there though.

fuzz nation
10-24-2012, 05:07 AM
I'm a C10 user and I agree that this frame is probably not for everyone, but I can also say with some confidence that among the softer racquets available out there, this one has a whole lot going for it. I needed more control in my game than I was getting with my old 6.1 Classics and when I tried the C10, it was "no contest". The 6.1 Classic was especially hefty and stiff with a bit of a "hot" sweet-spot - great for serve and volley play, but tough for me to reign in at the baseline.

The C10 is a nice soft option that also carries decent heft to it. While I'd say that it's somewhat "low-powered" in that it has a little less pop than a few other racquets, it also carries enough heft to be able to thump the ball nicely with a full swing and it's also plenty stable around the net. My Volkls have some lead tape on the handles for extra HL balance that I prefer. Even though they carry a bit of extra static weight like this, they maneuver better for me than a couple other frames I've sampled with less weight, but also less HL balance.

An accidental bonus for me with the C10 has been its comfort. I'm older and hit a one-handed backhand, so my elbow will raise objections if my gear is somewhat harsh. NOT the case with this frame. Even strung with 16 ga. syn. gut at 63-64 lbs., this racquet is never uncomfortable for me. I'm not interested in using any poly, but I know that a couple of our pals here have done fine stringing their C10's with it. The hoop flex in this frame makes its personality a little unique in that it's a little "tip dead", but I'm convinced that this just makes the racquet generally more cozy.

I took in a midplus Redondo a couple years ago, but I had already been using my C10's for a while and the PK didn't do anything for me that the Volkls didn't do better... but opinions certainly vary. I'd say that although the C10 is somewhat "low powered" with an extra dose of softness, it's an excellent blend of old school and modern features in one racquet. By comparison, I'd say that the Redondo mp was "less powerful" for me, but in an undesirable sort of way.

I also had a couple of Fischers a while back (M Speed Pro #1's) and they were rather nice. Since you'll probably get a low powered sort of response from a more flexible racquet, you'd be smart to also look at what Pacific (they used to be Fischer) is offering these days.

Ramon
10-24-2012, 05:48 AM
One of the lowest powered racquets I hit with recently was the Volkyl Organix 10 325. It was too low powered for me. Not sure how it compares to the C10.

MikeHitsHard93
10-24-2012, 06:08 AM
How would you compare the feel of the organix to some of the better known frames?

Ramon
10-24-2012, 12:35 PM
How would you compare the feel of the organix to some of the better known frames?

The Organix 10 325 is boardy but easy on the arm at the same time. I would compare it to a Wilson BLX Blade but with less shock to the arm.

ciocc
10-24-2012, 01:15 PM

This thread may help answering your question:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=442257

MikeHitsHard93
10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Appreciate the link, man.

ciocc
10-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Moved to http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=443988