PDA

View Full Version : Yonex Vcore Tour 97 "Light" (the 310 grams version) discussion thread

rlau
10-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Hi,

I know there is some talk about this frame in the "Yonex Vcore Tour 89 and 97 specs" thread (here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413743), but that thread has grown so much I thought it might be a good idea to create a separate thread dedicated to the lighter version of the Vcore Tour 97 frame. This frame is currently not available in the US, but can be bought from Tennis Warehouse Europe.

I know there are a couple of users such as syke, westside and zumzool who own(ed) this stick.

Care to share your experiences with stick? What are the pros and cons? Please also provide background information, such as playing level, playing style, related racket experience, etc.

zumzool
10-23-2012, 05:35 AM
I owned the 330g version.

rlau
10-23-2012, 05:36 AM
@Zumzool, thanks for clarifying.

The guys at Stringers World (dot com) claim that it's very spin-friendly and better for moving the opponent around the court rather than blasting winners past your opponent.

So it's more of an all-court frame than a pure baseliner's frame?

zumzool
10-23-2012, 05:52 AM
I think the SW comments are probably consistent with what I'm finding.

I too have problems blasting winners with the yonex, but it's great if you want to create short wicked angles to get your opponent moving off the court. The strength for me is at the net and on bh slices.

To give some perspective, I'm mainly playing with a Dunlop 4D 200 Tour. The 200 Tour is a punishing baseliners stick. The yonex is more for a finesse game imo. I'm still playing around with string setups and weight and would like to play with the yonex. I just haven't gotten there yet.

Geology_Rocks!
10-23-2012, 01:22 PM
I'd like to know about the power level of the light version, how is it compared to the 4D300 for example?

Thanks

JackB1
01-24-2013, 09:02 AM
very interested in this frame once it comes out. The specs look great...similar to my Dunlop Maxx 200g, but a little lighter.

rlau
01-24-2013, 09:16 AM
So it's finally coming to the States too?

JackB1
01-24-2013, 10:47 AM

next week.........

Boricua
01-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Tw playtester told me it is a great frame with some similarity to the RDIS series. The 330 version was to heavy for me but has beautiful cosmetics. Just preordered two 310s one with pro line 2 the other with pro line 2 mains and pacific gut crosses both at mid tension. Initially TW is not bringing many so be aware of that limited amount in stock. But I think its a racket that has great specs and could be a best seller

JackB1
01-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Tw playtester told me it is a great frame with some similarity to the RDIS series. The 330 version was to heavy for me but has beautiful cosmetics. Just preordered two 310s one with pro line 2 the other with pro line 2 mains and pacific gut crosses both at mid tension. Initially TW is not bringing many so be aware of that limited amount in stock. But I think its a racket that has great specs and could be a best seller

I have been burned before by "great specs" not playing out so great on the court. The Prestige S comes to mind. So I refuse to buy a racquet without testing first. My main fear is the the stiffness rating of 67 is a bit on the high side. It may "play like" a 65 or a 69?

Boricua
01-24-2013, 04:05 PM
I have been burned before by "great specs" not playing out so great on the court. The Prestige S comes to mind. So I refuse to buy a racquet without testing first. My main fear is the the stiffness rating of 67 is a bit on the high side. It may "play like" a 65 or a 69?

I cant test. The best I can do is buy and return and get 75 percent of original price from TW. Its a shame as I would like to demo. Anyway, I will venture with this 97 as I have tried many of the recent Yonex rackets and have an idea what to expect. I was tempted by the Head Extreme Pro and the Dunlop Biomimetic 500 Tour but that is an unknown territory for me. I demoed an Extreme Microgel about 5 years ago and played briefly with a Dunlop 100, thus little experience with those brands. So I went with the Vcore 97 and its advanced technology and quality, we will see. :)

NeverGassed1212
01-24-2013, 04:37 PM
I just recently purchased some off the boards here without demo and really enjoy the frames. The 310 grams allowed me to apply my personal touches and end up with a frame at 348-349g weight strung. I also played in stock form and found it to be surprisingly stable. It is the best stick I have hit in a long time.

JackB1
01-24-2013, 04:45 PM
I just recently purchased some off the boards here without demo and really enjoy the frames. The 310 grams allowed me to apply my personal touches and end up with a frame at 348-349g weight strung. I also played in stock form and found it to be surprisingly stable. It is the best stick I have hit in a long time.

how is possible that you bought this off people here on the forum since its not even for sale yet?

McLovin
01-24-2013, 05:04 PM
how is possible that you bought this off people here on the forum since its not even for sale yet?

I believe it has been for sale in Europe for a few months now. Not saying that is how he got a hold of his, but just that they are out there.

JackB1
01-24-2013, 05:08 PM
I believe it has been for sale in Europe for a few months now. Not saying that is how he got a hold of his, but just that they are out there.

I didn't know that :-)

Can anyone that has the 310g version comment on the frames stiffness?

Boricua
01-24-2013, 05:09 PM

I sense that Jack wants to get a demo of this 310 as soon as possible:).

McLovin
01-24-2013, 05:15 PM
I sense that Jack wants to get a demo of this 310 as soon as possible:).

He's going to have to wait in line. I put my order in ~ 10 minutes after it was listed on TW...

McLovin
01-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Here you go: http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpageRCYONEXH-YVCT97.html

NeverGassed1212
01-24-2013, 07:35 PM
I didn't know that :-)

Can anyone that has the 310g version comment on the frames stiffness?

It is definitely stiffer than the PSL that I had been using but not uncomfortable. I have all mine strung up with full poly set ups in the low 50's with the vibration stopper dampeners and can't complain. I think the microcore filling really helps counteract the frame stiffness. I can't think of any other racquet I have used that feels quite like this frame. I agree that you really have to flatten out your shot if you want to blast someone off the court but I am now hitting more consistently deep in the court off both wings when backhand was really suffering for through my last couple of frames.

Boricua
01-25-2013, 05:40 AM
It is definitely stiffer than the PSL that I had been using but not uncomfortable. I have all mine strung up with full poly set ups in the low 50's with the vibration stopper dampeners and can't complain. I think the microcore filling really helps counteract the frame stiffness. I can't think of any other racquet I have used that feels quite like this frame. I agree that you really have to flatten out your shot if you want to blast someone off the court but I am now hitting more consistently deep in the court off both wings when backhand was really suffering for through my last couple of frames.

"I can't think of any other racquet I have used that feels quite like this frame."
Could you please elaborate a bit?

Have you thought using a hybrid with Pacific Classic gut in the crosses?

NeverGassed1212
01-25-2013, 09:17 AM
"I can't think of any other racquet I have used that feels quite like this frame."
Could you please elaborate a bit?

Have you thought using a hybrid with Pacific Classic gut in the crosses?

It is a little difficult for me to "feel", but I guess I can try to elaborate a bit. I tend to want to use the term "plush" to describe it because I have often heard it used but never had a frame that seemed to fit the bill. The frame feels solid on contact I would say on the muted side with the dampener. Yet I still feel connected to the shot and feel like I am placing the ball as well as I ever have. The sweet spot does feel pretty generous and is probably why my backhand feels so much better. I will say that my forehand has taken some adjustment, but that is mainly on low balls because I am not getting behind the ball enough (I tend to hit my forehand with more spin than my backhand).

I am still surprised by the power and depth I can generate with a relaxed swing, but control does not take a huge hit for the added pop I get compared to my PSL. I am actually swinging a little tentatively at times because I was so used to the low powered response of the PSL.

I did receive one with a multi in the mains but I preferred one strung up with Luxilon 4G as the string bed felt more consistent so I went with lower gauge poly's and am pleased with that. I have yet to string one up with a multi or gut in the crosses.

Boricua
01-25-2013, 10:09 AM
It is a little difficult for me to "feel", but I guess I can try to elaborate a bit. I tend to want to use the term "plush" to describe it because I have often heard it used but never had a frame that seemed to fit the bill. The frame feels solid on contact I would say on the muted side with the dampener. Yet I still feel connected to the shot and feel like I am placing the ball as well as I ever have. The sweet spot does feel pretty generous and is probably why my backhand feels so much better. I will say that my forehand has taken some adjustment, but that is mainly on low balls because I am not getting behind the ball enough (I tend to hit my forehand with more spin than my backhand).

I am still surprised by the power and depth I can generate with a relaxed swing, but control does not take a huge hit for the added pop I get compared to my PSL. I am actually swinging a little tentatively at times because I was so used to the low powered response of the PSL.

I did receive one with a multi in the mains but I preferred one strung up with Luxilon 4G as the string bed felt more consistent so I went with lower gauge poly's and am pleased with that. I have yet to string one up with a multi or gut in the crosses.

Try Kirshbaum Pro Line 17 at 54 and Pacific Classic Gut or Babolat Tonic crosses at 57 at least once. I will use this setup next week when I get my rackets, one strung with poly/gut, the other with full Pro Line. I will post my impressions.

I remember when I had a VCORE 100 S poly/gut felt very good but it was Revenge and VS. I also used poly/gut with a RDIS 100 MP and it felt good but so did the full poly (Weiss Cannon B5E) (felt good to but not that soft). The good thing about Yonex is that one can use a stiff poly or a soft string and get away with it. With rackets like a Pure Drive or Aeropro stiff polys are not recommended.

Amp1
01-26-2013, 05:23 AM
This seems very similar to the new Xi98 in specs. Anyone thinks there will be a big difference between the two rackets.

If anything the Xi98 should have more power, which I think will be good for most players.

Pure Babs
01-26-2013, 11:22 AM
I used this frame for awhile, and really enjoyed my time with it. I switched because of the stiffness and pop. I started to have arm issues into my matches because of the stiffness on the serve, and I could never really find a happy medium with control vs power. It is a really fun, whippy stick though!

Geology_Rocks!
01-26-2013, 11:57 AM
I used this frame for awhile, and really enjoyed my time with it. I switched because of the stiffness and pop. I started to have arm issues into my matches because of the stiffness on the serve, and I could never really find a happy medium with control vs power. It is a really fun, whippy stick though!

If you don't mind some questions, you found it too powerfull? What string did you use?

getsby
01-29-2013, 12:07 AM
interesting frame, who have had the experience of playing both, heavy and light version, compare sweetspot and stability?

Boricua
01-29-2013, 04:23 AM
interesting frame, who have had the experience of playing both, heavy and light version, compare sweetspot and stability?

I have only used the 330 version, too heavy for me. Getting the 310 this week.. Jose, a TW playtester. told me the 310 is as stable as the 330. The sweetsopot should be the same as they both are 98 with 16 x 20 string pattern and with isometric shape which makes the sweetpost huge.

McLovin
01-29-2013, 04:31 AM

I have both demos on order and *should* arrive early next week (assuming my other demos are also available). Hopefully I will have a review up by late next week that can compare them side-by-side.

Boricua, if I like the 'light' version, one thing I'm thinking is to replace the regular grip w/ a leather grip, and maybe add some lead in the throat to bring it up to 320 unstrung (my ideal weight). Are you planning any customization? Or are you going stock?

Boricua
01-29-2013, 04:50 AM
I have both demos on order and *should* arrive early next week (assuming my other demos are also available). Hopefully I will have a review up by late next week that can compare them side-by-side.

Boricua, if I like the 'light' version, one thing I'm thinking is to replace the regular grip w/ a leather grip, and maybe add some lead in the throat to bring it up to 320 unstrung (my ideal weight). Are you planning any customization? Or are you going stock?

Considering the 330 is too heavy and considering that the 310 is similar to a RDIS 100 MP that I used in the past, the 310's specs are in my whhelhouse. So, I will play it stock. Also, for some strange reason I don't like to have lead in my racket. I prefer Yonex original grip with Yonex Supergrap overgrip black or white.:-?

McLovin
01-29-2013, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I'm not normally one to customize as I prefer to find the stick that is just right for me 'stock'. But if I really like the VCORE Tour 97, and the 330 is too heavy for me, I may have to investigate some customization.

I haven't played w/ a leather grip in over 20 years, but I'm more interested in the added weight than anything as I use overgrips as well (usually Wilson, but am trying Supergrap this week). 310g just sounds too light for me, but maybe it will be OK.

Boricua
01-29-2013, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I'm not normally one to customize as I prefer to find the stick that is just right for me 'stock'. But if I really like the VCORE Tour 97, and the 330 is too heavy for me, I may have to investigate some customization.

I haven't played w/ a leather grip in over 20 years, but I'm more interested in the added weight than anything as I use overgrips as well (usually Wilson, but am trying Supergrap this week). 310g just sounds too light for me, but maybe it will be OK.

Supergrap is more than great. I used a Babolat overgrip last week and compared with the Yonex, the Bab feels cheap and dry.
310 may seem light but Yonex has great stability and solidness that makes the 310 weight seem like it has more mass to it. That was my experience with prior Yonex raquets.

Boricua
02-05-2013, 08:45 AM

You liked the racket better in stock form or with the added weight?

NeverGassed1212
02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
You liked the racket better in stock form or with the added weight?

I am liking it best with my personal touches which now equals a leather grip with 2 overgrips and a yonex dampener. I had a little lead at 10 and 2 to try and keep the original balance but removed it and liked the more headlight balance. It now feels perfect in the palm of my hand and feels more whippy with the balance and low swingweight.

I also tried a hybrid with my "cheap" string (gosen polylon and og sheep micro 17g) and found it to play quite nicely. I still like the response of the full poly set up the best but the hybrid was more comfortable overall.

Boricua
02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I am liking it best with my personal touches which now equals a leather grip with 2 overgrips and a yonex dampener. I had a little lead at 10 and 2 to try and keep the original balance but removed it and liked the more headlight balance. It now feels perfect in the palm of my hand and feels more whippy with the balance and low swingweight.

I also tried a hybrid with my "cheap" string (gosen polylon and og sheep micro 17g) and found it to play quite nicely. I still like the response of the full poly set up the best but the hybrid was more comfortable overall.

Did you demo the 330 version? If you did, how did it compare to the 310?
I just bought a 330 but will be reading about the 310 from people who buy it.

NeverGassed1212
02-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Did you demo the 330 version? If you did, how did it compare to the 310?
I just bought a 330 but will be reading about the 310 from people who buy it.

I didn't demo the 330 because I want more of a platform frame and the 330g didn't seem like a good starting point for me. I kind of took a leap of faith and bought the 310g because the deal seemed to good to pass up and the specs were close to what I was looking for and it all worked out pretty well.

McLovin
02-08-2013, 12:41 PM

Any idea what the current weight/balance are? I'm demoing the 310 & 330 in a few weeks, and am thinking a leather grip & some lead in the throat will bring it up to ~ 320 unstrung. Just wondering how much lead will be needed in addition to the leather grip.

tistrapukcipeht
02-10-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm also interested in this racquet, I'm waiting for it to be available at my local shop.

richie65
02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
I just impulse purchased one of these. So I'll weigh in next week on how it plays.

NeverGassed1212
02-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Any idea what the current weight/balance are? I'm demoing the 310 & 330 in a few weeks, and am thinking a leather grip & some lead in the throat will bring it up to ~ 320 unstrung. Just wondering how much lead will be needed in addition to the leather grip.

Just measured the frame with unstrung and with the leather and two overgrips it is weighing in at 332g and about 14 pts headlight by my estimation.

Ess
02-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Anyone playing this racquet yet and can give some feedback on stiffness and difference between the two versions. My primary concern is the stiffness, but I have heard that the Yonex racquets play softer than indicated. Is this true?

McLovin
02-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Anyone playing this racquet yet and can give some feedback on stiffness and difference between the two versions. My primary concern is the stiffness, but I have heard that the Yonex racquets play softer than indicated. Is this true?

Give me a few days:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=455998

I just got both in for a demo this afternoon.

JackB1
03-04-2013, 09:54 AM
TW has posted the video review on u tube. They really like it!

tistrapukcipeht
03-04-2013, 10:34 AM
TW has posted the video review on u tube. They really like it!

So you'll like it too. https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT04YklMxRZEXKwPYr_PBoUViBCiKf4Y xiebE4eo9LPICww98dDaQ

tistrapukcipeht
03-04-2013, 10:39 AM
BTW I hit with it this morning, with Poly Tour SPIN at 50/47.

Conditions were a little heavy, cold. it doesn't have as much power as Ezone Xi and VCore Xi 98, not even close. It feels more comfortable than VCore Xi 98 and about the same as my ezone xi, but maybe because the ezone is bigger with much bigger sweet spot, but the racquet feels awesome, super stable as expected, good to hit topspin shots and flat balls, great mix, i knew this would be a great racquet, but Ill be hitting with it more, but like it so far, maybe with lower tension and a little hotter temps it can play better.

Ess
03-10-2013, 03:33 AM
BTW I hit with it this morning, with Poly Tour SPIN at 50/47.

Conditions were a little heavy, cold. it doesn't have as much power as Ezone Xi and VCore Xi 98, not even close. It feels more comfortable than VCore Xi 98 and about the same as my ezone xi, but maybe because the ezone is bigger with much bigger sweet spot, but the racquet feels awesome, super stable as expected, good to hit topspin shots and flat balls, great mix, i knew this would be a great racquet, but Ill be hitting with it more, but like it so far, maybe with lower tension and a little hotter temps it can play better.

Any additional comments? Specifically on the comfort? 67 flex seems a bit rough for me.

syke
03-10-2013, 04:55 AM
All I can say is I hate the Yonex grip...
The original replacement grip is 1.2mm thick.
That means if you are thinking of replacing it with different one, you better find one at 1.2mm or less. Otherwise, go smaller one grip size.
There is absolutely no butt to speak off, so be prepared to build it up.
I used the Tourna Power Cap, and it's perfect.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rU2JeCRSL._SX300_.jpg

Removing the original grip is a pain the arse... Make sure you have lots of Goo gone within reach.

Currently, I am alternating between the VC97 310 & my modified Pacific XForce... With the Pacific getting more playing time...

syke
03-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Any additional comments? Specifically on the comfort? 67 flex seems a bit rough for me.

It's not rough... it just feels firm...
It ain't all that bad... Considering my Pacific is at RA 58

tistrapukcipeht
03-10-2013, 05:41 AM

Not rough at all, though this is personal and related to string and tension, but I demoed some other racquets from other companies and the Yonex flex rating despite of being high feels a lot lower, I can't fathom that, I played with the STEAM 99S and could not use it for 5 mins.

Check some more thoughts on 97T thread

tistrapukcipeht
03-10-2013, 05:43 AM

Exactly, firm, not a lame frame at all, it just plays nice firm with control yet comfortable with no vibrations and very, very solid, which is Yonex trademark.

McLovin
03-10-2013, 05:44 AM
Currently, I am alternating between the VC97 310 & my modified Pacific XForce... With the Pacific getting more playing time...

Yeah, I found the same thing. Firm, but not harsh.

After my demo, I ordered one to play with for about a month. I sent the demos back Thursday and have since played w/ my X Force Pros the last two days. I'm wondering why I ever thought of switching.

But, I've gone this far, so I'll string up the 310g w/ gut/poly, give it a good go for a month, then decide if I want to buy more, or go back to the X Force Pro.

syke, do you have the X Force, or the X Force Lite? I realize they are two different moulds, but if its the Lite, what is your static weight & balance unstrung?

syke
03-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Yeah, I found the same thing. Firm, but not harsh.

After my demo, I ordered one to play with for about a month. I sent the demos back Thursday and have since played w/ my X Force Pros the last two days. I'm wondering why I ever thought of switching.

But, I've gone this far, so I'll string up the 310g w/ gut/poly, give it a good go for a month, then decide if I want to buy more, or go back to the X Force Pro.

syke, do you have the X Force, or the X Force Lite? I realize they are two different moulds, but if its the Lite, what is your static weight & balance unstrung?

I have the XForce... not the pro or lite... it's the same mould as the XForce pro. There is less power on the VC97, however I find on serves, I am getting more control, accuracy and manoeuvrability. The reason why the VC97 gets lesser playtime is the size of the grip after slapping on the over grip.. it's too unwieldy for me... i like the Pacific grip shape best.

SFrazeur
03-10-2013, 10:19 AM
For those who do not like the Yonex end-cap you can remove it and replace it with another brand like Babolat. I replaced my 1/8 Yonex with a 1/4 babolat and it fit perfectly, not lose. The Babolat trap door is one piece plastic and one piece metal plate with the babolat logo. They can be separated leaving you with a clean black plastic door. It looks great.

-SF

getsby
03-10-2013, 10:20 AM
I used the Tourna Power Cap, and it's perfect.

it is sold on TW? where, in what section?

syke
03-10-2013, 10:28 AM
it is sold on TW? where, in what section?

I got it from my local tennis store... it costs less than a Happy meal.

syke
03-10-2013, 10:34 AM
For those who do not like the Yonex end-cap you can remove it and replace it with another brand like Babolat. I replaced my 1/8 Yonex with a 1/4 babolat and it fit perfectly, not lose. The Babolat trap door is one piece plastic and one piece metal plate with the babolat logo. They can be separated leaving you with a clean black plastic door. It looks great.

-SF

I was thinking of getting a 1/8 grip... Yonex grip shape is too round and bulky for the hand... I have tried handling the 1/4, and it doesnt feel any better. What is your usual grip size?

The Pacific 3/8 grip is perfect for me.

SFrazeur
03-10-2013, 10:54 AM
I was thinking of getting a 1/8 grip... Yonex grip shape is too round and bulky for the hand... I have tried handling the 1/4, and it doesnt feel any better. What is your usual grip size?

The Pacific 3/8 grip is perfect for me.

I used Babolat 1/4 Pure Drive GT Roddick w/ skin feel grip for the last 3 years.

I dug my Yoned RDS 002 Tour 1/8 out of the closet the other week and put a Babolat 1/4 cap on it and my usual skin feel grip. The grip size does feel a little smaller than the babolat 1/4 but that does not bother me.

For anyone getting Yonex and plan on replacing the base grip I would suggest going one gripsize smaller.

-SF

syke
03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
I used Babolat 1/4 Pure Drive GT Roddick w/ skin feel grip for the last 3 years.

I dug my Yoned RDS 002 Tour 1/8 out of the closet the other week and put a Babolat 1/4 cap on it and my usual skin feel grip. The grip size does feel a little smaller than the babolat 1/4 but that does not bother me.

For anyone getting Yonex and plan on replacing the base grip I would suggest going one gripsize smaller.

-SF

I am going to try swopping out the original grip (1.2mm) for the Kimony leather grip (0.8mm). I will see if it works, otherwise I am going sell my 3/8s for the 1/8s.

syke
03-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Just played a round with the VC97 strung with black code.. What a world of difference compared to my usual YPTP. Now I am finding it way too soft and powerful but control is still there.

Anyone wanting more power out of these racquets with full poly, go with the black code. Just remember string them higher.

JackB1
03-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Hey Syke I have 2 questions about the 97-310:

1) how is the overall "player friendliness" of the racquet? It is a hardcore "players stick" or is it easier to use than that? All the other racquets in your sig. seem to be easy to use tweeners. How does the 97 compare to them?

2) How stiff feeling is the racquet? Do you feel any flex on contact or is it very firm feeling?

syke
03-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Hey Syke I have 2 questions about the 97-310:

1) how is the overall "player friendliness" of the racquet? It is a hardcore "players stick" or is it easier to use than that? All the other racquets in your sig. seem to be easy to use tweeners. How does the 97 compare to them?

2) How stiff feeling is the racquet? Do you feel any flex on contact or is it very firm feeling?

They aren't that difficult to hit.. Definitely not hardcore players' stick.
I could easily swop between the tweeners & the 97 halfway thru the set.

Stiffness wise, they are no way like the tweeners on my sig. Feels solid not hollow, feels firm not stiff stiff and surprising very little vibration. Yes, there is a little flex, but it wasn't very discernible.

JackB1
03-11-2013, 08:15 AM
They aren't that difficult to hit.. Definitely not hardcore players' stick.
I could easily swop between the tweeners & the 97 halfway thru the set.

Stiffness wise, they are no way like the tweeners on my sig. Feels solid not hollow, feels firm not stiff stiff and surprising very little vibration. Yes, there is a little flex, but it wasn't very discernible.

thanks, that was helpful. Good luck with it. Sounds great!

MAXXply
03-12-2013, 09:20 PM
All I can say is I hate the Yonex grip...The original replacement grip is 1.2mm thick. That means if you are thinking of replacing it with different one, you better find one at 1.2mm or less. Otherwise, go smaller one grip size. There is absolutely no butt to speak off, so be prepared to build it up. I used the Tourna Power Cap, and it's perfect.

I'm a bit conflicted now and wanna head into my nearest pro-shop for a feel of the handles...As a regular Skin Feel user, I'm now anxious that its 1.7mm thickness will blow out my chosen gripsize, be it 3/8 or 1/2...decisions decisions!

For anyone getting Yonex and plan on replacing the base grip I would suggest going one gripsize smaller.-SF

un6a
03-13-2013, 01:14 AM
If you aren't sure, get smaller grip size.

Cesare
03-13-2013, 05:13 AM
I'm a bit conflicted now and wanna head into my nearest pro-shop for a feel of the handles...As a regular Skin Feel user, I'm now anxious that its 1.7mm thickness will blow out my chosen gripsize, be it 3/8 or 1/2...decisions decisions!

Actually, it's just 1,55 mm, not 1,70.

SFrazeur
03-13-2013, 05:45 AM

Go with 1 gripsize smaller, the 3/8. Today I will try to take measurements with a soft measuring tape of the bare handle, Skin Feel equipped handle and measure it with my Tourna Grip overgrip on. Hopefully that will help you make an assured decision.

-SF

MAXXply
03-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Actually, it's just 1,55 mm, not 1,70. I stand corrected:)

Go with 1 gripsize smaller, the 3/8. Today I will try to take measurements with a soft measuring tape of the bare handle, Skin Feel equipped handle and measure it with my Tourna Grip overgrip on. Hopefully that will help you make an assured decision.

-SF

Thanks for any advice. The final nett gripsize of my Yonexes (RDX500 w/SkinFeel, RD-Ti 80 w/SkinFeel) come to 4 1/2, so that's the size I wish to end up with.
The RDX500 is 1/2 anyway but came fitted with that pathetically thin, stock Yonex synth grip (that Syke may have been referring to) that featured the tyre tread/herringbone pattern. That was definitely micro-thin. With the SkinFeel fitted it is much truer.

rolleroh
03-13-2013, 02:17 PM
GIDDYUP!!!!!

The sickness prevails once again--- I ordered this racquet today <w Overnight FedEx of course>, just 2-days after receiving my new X Force PRO that I love......

Why you may be asking yourself??
Because I have a problem that is apparently worse than drug addiction!!

The internal rationalization that takes place is comical to say the least,,,,,

This will be my racquet of choice when I need to use a lighter racquet bc I forgot to eat my Wheaties?? Sounds good

This fancy interweb technology is really taking advantage of me

corners
03-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Looking forward to more reviews on this racquet. Particularly curious about how it compares to RDS 002 Tour and Rdti 80.

JackDalton
03-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Has anybody compared this stick to the Wilson Blade 98 16x19? I've been using the kblade 98 and always wanted a bit easier access to spin but liked the stable feel and light weight. For the past couple of months I've demoed a 6.1 95 which has been great but just a little bit too heavy. I was just about to order the new blade 98 16x19 when I saw this Yonex and I'm wondering if it'll give me better spin with the same stability and lightness as the blades?

cjmower
03-31-2013, 04:54 PM
I have both of these racquets so I thought I would share my thoughts with you. Before I got the tour 97 "light" I had never used a Yonex racquet but I have to say I absolutely love this racquet and it is my favorite of anything out right now. I like the Blade as well but I felt like the Vcore is a little bit easier to use and has to me, a more predictable sweet spot, and also a larger one with the unique head shape. It was easier to adjust to also as a first time Yonex user. Bottom line for me, the Vcore gives me everything the Blade gives me but is easier to use than the Blade just based off the specs(specifically swingweight and head light balance). Hope this helps. Both are really good racquets though.

JackB1
03-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Has anybody compared this stick to the Wilson Blade 98 16x19? I've been using the kblade 98 and always wanted a bit easier access to spin but liked the stable feel and light weight. For the past couple of months I've demoed a 6.1 95 which has been great but just a little bit too heavy. I was just about to order the new blade 98 16x19 when I saw this Yonex and I'm wondering if it'll give me better spin with the same stability and lightness as the blades?

I only tried the VC97 briefly, but it felt way lighter to me and I think the swing weight is around 20 pts less? It also was much lower powered. The VC97 reminded me of the Vcore 98d with less power.

Bartelby
03-31-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm tempted by the vc97 with an added 2 grams somewhere between 2 and 10.

corners
03-31-2013, 05:57 PM
I'm tempted by the vc97 with an added 2 grams somewhere between 2 and 10.

Me too, although Chris at TW said the racquet was surprisingly stable at 314 swingweight and that he wouldn't add weight to the head.

McLovin
03-31-2013, 06:28 PM
I added 10g to the throat, and it adds to the stability without taking away from its quickness. Perfect setup for me.

Murray_fan1
03-31-2013, 06:33 PM
Me too, although Chris at TW said the racquet was surprisingly stable at 314 swingweight and that he wouldn't add weight to the head.

Yes it is surprisingly stable for the swing weight. I have a 4 1/4 grip with 2 Solinco over grips and tecnifibre vibra damp and it weighs in at 12 ounces. Not sure how much swing weight the extra over grip adds but has plenty of pancake plow. This stick reminds me so much of the Prestige. Love it.

corners
03-31-2013, 06:33 PM
I added 10g to the throat, and it adds to the stability without taking away from its quickness. Perfect setup for me.

McLovin, how would you compare the feel, feedback and comfort of this frame to your old C10 Pros?

eidolonshinobi
03-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Ok. Well I caved and got the 97T (310). I'm switching from the heavier version, while 330g feels great for practice and even one set, I just dont have the racquet head speed I want on serve and it's been killing me during doubles tournaments when I can't get my racquet around fast enough during net play. I'm not ashamed to admit that I can't handle the 330g to its full potential. I can see why 5.0+ players can use this well though, especially those who have a a Two hander on their backhand side.

Here's to hoping the 310 is the answer I need.

McLovin
04-01-2013, 03:07 AM
McLovin, how would you compare the feel, feedback and comfort of this frame to your old C10 Pros?

Someone else asked me this in another thread. What's funny is I remember liking the C10 Pro for the year I hit with it, but I just couldn't handle the heft during long matches. But when I did the demo of the VCORE Tours (310 & 330) and the Dunlop F3.0, I broke out w/ my old C10s just for comparison. But after just two minutes with it, I put it down.

With the C10, shots just flew on me, and it didn't feel as nice anymore. Maybe that was due to me having adjusted to the Pacific/Fischer feel, but something felt off. Also, the flex in the C10 was more pronounced. Some people like that, but I've always preferred a firm (not harsh) feel. Maybe that's why I enjoyed the X Force Pros over the M Speed Pro No. 1: They were a slightly stiffer version of the M Speed.

Most of my frames throughout the last 10 years have been 'firm' (RD Power 10 Long, Hyper PS 6.1, Pure Control 'swirly'), so it's not surprising that I like the VCORE Tour.

JackDalton
04-01-2013, 03:10 AM
I have both of these racquets so I thought I would share my thoughts with you. Before I got the tour 97 "light" I had never used a Yonex racquet but I have to say I absolutely love this racquet and it is my favorite of anything out right now. I like the Blade as well but I felt like the Vcore is a little bit easier to use and has to me, a more predictable sweet spot, and also a larger one with the unique head shape. It was easier to adjust to also as a first time Yonex user. Bottom line for me, the Vcore gives me everything the Blade gives me but is easier to use than the Blade just based off the specs(specifically swingweight and head light balance). Hope this helps. Both are really good racquets though.

Thank you, that was very helpful. It's nice to hear that the switch to Yonex was easy for you and I'm leaning on the Yonex now. The head light balance is definitely a plus even if I have gotten quite used to the even balanced blade by now. How did you find the power level?

JackDalton
04-01-2013, 03:34 AM
I only tried the VC97 briefly, but it felt way lighter to me and I think the swing weight is around 20 pts less? It also was much lower powered. The VC97 reminded me of the Vcore 98d with less power.

Thanks for the comparison but I don't have experience with the 98d or any other yonex for that matter, unfortunately. Do you think it was too light and got pushed around? The kblade 98 has a little lower swingweight than the newer blades, but it's stable enough for me with nice low weight. I can get the head moving when being aggressive and not feel flimsy when defending off balance. The vcore 97 seems similar with a little better balance (more head light) and spin friendly string pattern. If only I could demo.

Anyways, the TW reviewers compared it to the new Blade 98 and other heavier rackets so what's not to like? One can always use lead tape to up the weight if it feels too light to swing.

tistrapukcipeht
04-01-2013, 04:44 AM
So how can Yonex get a racquet relatively light and so stable?? (more stable than others I tried from other brands).

Does that mean microcore really works?? ( I believe is the reason)

Or it is because it's higher quality than others?

I'm trying to figure it out. Any guesses?

eidolonshinobi
04-01-2013, 05:02 AM
So how can Yonex get a racquet relatively light and so stable?? (more stable than others I tried from other brands).

A mix of quality control and maybe microcore.

corners
04-01-2013, 05:49 AM

Guess: They learned something from analyzing Wozniacki's Babolat APD when they made VCore 100S for her. That's when they introduced the Vcore throat, which is thicker and stiffer than previous Yonex throats. Yonex used to do the flexible shaft/stiff head thing, especially with the RDS line. The RDS 002 Tour was the direct ancestor of the Vcore Tour 97, and if you compare those frames the 002 Tour had a very thin throat from side to side (narrow when looked at straight on.) Yonex says the Vcore throat design is meant to prevent twisting of the racquet head, and I'm sure it does that, but the thicker beam in the throat also stiffens the entire racquet in the plane of the stringbed, which should give other advantages as well.

The TW reviewers all seemed surprised by the 310's stability at such a low swingweight, so it appears that YY engineers have managed to make a thin-beamed racquet that plays more like a thicker-beamed racquet. Lots of companies are trying to do this now - Prince for years, Volkl more recently. Thin beams give better feel and touch, so they are trying to keep the beam thin to preserve those qualities, but then at the same time using special beam shapes and very stiff materials (nano carbons) to stiffen the frame at strategic points to improve stability without having to add weight or sacrifice feel.

JackB1
04-01-2013, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the comparison but I don't have experience with the 98d or any other yonex for that matter, unfortunately. Do you think it was too light and got pushed around? The kblade 98 has a little lower swingweight than the newer blades, but it's stable enough for me with nice low weight. I can get the head moving when being aggressive and not feel flimsy when defending off balance. The vcore 97 seems similar with a little better balance (more head light) and spin friendly string pattern. If only I could demo.

Anyways, the TW reviewers compared it to the new Blade 98 and other heavier rackets so what's not to like? One can always use lead tape to up the weight if it feels too light to swing.

The racquet felt pretty stable...but it just felt too light and whippy through the air. noting that some lead tape couldn't fix though. my only issue was the low power level, but I had some crappy sungut strung pretty tight in my demo. I would love to try it with a full multi like XOne or NRG2.

JackB1
04-01-2013, 06:13 AM
McLovin, Murray and others....do you find the VC97-310 low powered? My demo had tightly strung syngut and it felt very low powered to me. Curious your thoughts on the power level of this frame?

McLovin
04-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Yes, I do find it low powered, but again, that is what I like about it. I have mine strung w/ Gut mains @ 54 and poly crosses @ 52, and I can pop some good serves, but it is definitely on the low end of the power spectrum. You need to swing through the ball to get good depth & pace.

I suppose dropping the tension might assist in that as well, but again, I'd rather low power & more control that the other way around.

JackB1
04-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Yes, I do find it low powered, but again, that is what I like about it. I have mine strung w/ Gut mains @ 54 and poly crosses @ 52, and I can pop some good serves, but it is definitely on the low end of the power spectrum. You need to swing through the ball to get good depth & pace.

I suppose dropping the tension might assist in that as well, but again, I'd rather low power & more control that the other way around.

thanks...just wanted some verification since I only had the demo string to test with. My demo was new, so the stringjob was fresh, but it felt very high in tension...like hitting a board.

JackDalton
04-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Yes, it looks like Yonex engineers did a great job with the design of the frame. Maybe the low power level comes with the low swingweight. Even if the racket feels stable, there is still relatively little mass in the hoop. Combine this with the thin beam and you've got a low powered racket. I like it.

McLovin, can you get two hybrid string jobs from a pack of gut with the Yonex headshape?

McLovin
04-01-2013, 07:43 AM
McLovin, can you get two hybrid string jobs from a pack of gut with the Yonex headshape?

Yes. I barely use 19ft in the mains, so no problems w/ cutting the gut in half. If it were 18x20, it might be tight, but a normal 40ft pack should give you no problems.

mykoh
04-01-2013, 07:31 PM
My guess is due to the throat design. Don't think I've seen it on any other stick. Posted with the 95d and the 89t and they were absolutely incredible frames. Getting my hands on the 97t soon!

tennismonkey
04-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Yes, I do find it low powered, but again, that is what I like about it.

how low powered are you talking about? Pure Storm Limited low? Ultimum Ti-80 Lite low powered?

McLovin
04-03-2013, 03:52 AM
how low powered are you talking about? Pure Storm Limited low? Ultimum Ti-80 Lite low powered?

It's been too many years since I hit w/ either of those frames to compare. My previous 3 frames were:

Pacific X Force Pro
Volkl C10 Pro
Fischer M-Comp 95

If I had to rank it, I'd say it is less than the Volkl, but ever-so-slightly more than the Pacific in serves, but less in groundstrokes. The M-Comp 95 is the lowest powered frame I have ever used. All were pretty much strung w/ the same string (gut mains, poly crosses) at around the same tension (54/52). I may drop the tension on the VCORE Tour to 53/51 to see if I can get a tad more pop from the ground wiithout loss of control.

I know downs_chris hit w/ it (I bought my 2nd frame off him last week), maybe he has other frames of reference (no pun intended).

tennismonkey
04-03-2013, 09:29 AM
thanks mclovin. i haven't tried any of your previous racquets. i pinged downs though. maybe he can shed some more light.

i generally like yonex frames. usually larger than average sweetspots and i tend to hit high on the hoop. figure this might be a fit for me too with the 310 version.

eidolonshinobi
04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
thanks mclovin. i haven't tried any of your previous racquets. i pinged downs though. maybe he can shed some more light.

i generally like yonex frames. usually larger than average sweetspots and i tend to hit high on the hoop. figure this might be a fit for me too with the 310 version.

Definitely give it a shot. I can't wait for mine to come in.

BC1
04-30-2013, 07:03 AM

^^^ Regarding "low power", according to the TW Racquet Power Maps the 310T has more power then the vcore 98D, and I didn't find the 98D low at all. I know you can't always go by the power maps, but can anyone compare these two racquets?

Also, I was curious about the grip size on the 310 tour. For me the vcore 98D grips seemed to run small. 3/8 felt like a 1/4. Yet on the vcore xi 98 the grips sizes seemed to run big or at least normal. Any comments on the grip size of the tour?

Also, regarding cosmetics (paint color) the tour is more of a brighter red then the other vcore line? correct? I hope so. In pics it looks that way and looks amazing. Does it look as good in real life?

Thank You - getting close to ordering one of these I think!

JackB1 - what didn't you like - was it the low power?

eidolonshinobi
04-30-2013, 07:17 AM
^^^ Regarding "low power", according to the TW Racquet Power Maps the 310T has more power then the vcore 98D, and I didn't find the 98D low at all. I know you can't always go by the power maps, but can anyone compare these two racquets?

Also, I was curious about the grip size on the 310 tour. For me the vcore 98D grips seemed to run small. 3/8 felt like a 1/4. Yet on the vcore xi 98 the grips sizes seemed to run big or at least normal. Any comments on the grip size of the tour?

Also, regarding cosmetics (paint color) the tour is more of a brighter red then the other vcore line? correct? I hope so. In pics it looks that way and looks amazing. Does it look as good in real life?

The grip is definitely bigger. I had to put on skin feel on my 3/8s (330g) and with an overgrip it was still a bit bigger. Going with 1/4 for my 310s.

BC1
04-30-2013, 07:19 AM
The grip is definitely bigger. I had to put on skin feel on my 3/8s (330g) and with an overgrip it was still a bit bigger. Going with 1/4 for my 310s.

Eidolonshinobi - Thank you!

What about the paint job? Bright Red? Looks?

McLovin
04-30-2013, 07:22 AM

I didn't hit w/ the 98D, so I cannot compare. I've been hitting with the 310 for a little over a month now, and I can tell you that I am able to swing the same as I did w/ my X Force Pros with approximately the same results. What's different?

1 - My serve definitely has more pop to it. But I don't think it is related to the power of the frame. I'll explain later...
2 - My backhand has become rock-solid. Not sure why, but I had a tendency to spray some backhands w/ the X Force Pro. Not so w/ the 310.
3 - My forehand has become less consistent. I'm spraying more shots than w/ the X Force Pro. It's as if my backhand and forehand have swapped. However...

I truly believe the 'more power on the serve' and 'spraying of the forehand' have more to do with the racquet's weight & balance than it's power. I've added 10g of lead in the throat, but that altered the balance so it's close to 11pts HL (strung). As a result, I'm getting the racquet through quicker & faster on many shots, resulting in harder serves, as well as mis-timing my forehand.

I'm going to move some of the lead to the bridge & bring it back to 8 or 9pts HL (strung), and hope I still get pop on the serve but reign in the forehand.

The grips size definitely runs large. I've used 4 1/2 for 20+ years. On people's recommendation I went w/ 4 3/8 and am happy with the choice. I just use a slightly thicker overgrip & I'm close to a 4 1/2 w/ Wilson Pro overgrip.

corners
04-30-2013, 07:27 AM

I still try to figure out a racquet's "power level" by asking other people, but for the life of me I don't know why. It's not like they would actually know. I would stick with the power maps. And as far as they go, of course the 310 is going to be (fractionally) more powerful than the 98D, it's got a higher swingweight.

Also, I was curious about the grip size on the 310 tour. For me the vcore 98D grips seemed to run small. 3/8 felt like a 1/4. Yet on the vcore xi 98 the grips sizes seemed to run big or at least normal. Any comments on the grip size of the tour? Runs big.

Also, regarding cosmetics (paint color) the tour is more of a brighter red then the other vcore line? correct? I hope so. In pics it looks that way and looks amazing. Does it look as good in real life?Yeah, it looks like it was plucked from a dragon's hoard. Gorgeous ruby red, but not at all obnoxious.

BC1
04-30-2013, 07:46 AM
^^^ Thanks everyone for the quick replies and great feedback.

While I'm at it, I might as well narrow down the string set-up as well. From what I've read low tension is recommended. I'm thinking of going with a softer multi and poly hybrid - maybe NRG218 in the crosses at 52 and Cyclone at 50 in the mains. Or maybe an all Poly at 48-50 (RPM 18 or lux alu power). Has anyone used all multi?

I know strings are a personal preference thing, but I still like to hear what is working for others.

Thanks again.

McLovin
04-30-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm a gut/poly guy, specifically 17g Pacific Classic / 18g MSV Co. Focus. I think the gut helps soften the frame a bit, seeing as how it is more firm than my Pacifics.

I tried Tier One T1 Firewire (full poly) last night as an experiment. My initial impression was 'eh', but I'm reserving an actual review for when I can get out on the clay (it's been raining/drizzling in the Mid Atlantic for 3 days now).

Tension should most definitely be in the low 50s max. I'm down to 53/51 for the gut/poly, and strung the T1 at 50 even.

eidolonshinobi
04-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Eidolonshinobi - Thank you!

What about the paint job? Bright Red? Looks?

It's a nice paint job, I've received positive comments on it when I arrived in Taiwan. I actually helped covert a couple folks to Yonex :P

BC1
04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Well I did it! I had a TW credit burning a hole in my pocket and I've been wanting to test this racquet for months.

Ordered the Yonex Vcore Tour 97 (310), 4 1/4 grip, strung with Solinco Tour Bite Soft 17 (52mains/50crosses). It will be here tomorrow. Very exciting!

Not sure about my string choice. Probably should have gone with a hybrid for more power - but I can always change that later.

Thanks again to everyone for all their feedback.

corners
04-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Well I did it! I had a TW credit burning a hole in my pocket and I've been wanting to test this racquet for months.

Ordered the Yonex Vcore Tour 97 (310), 4 1/4 grip, strung with Solinco Tour Bite Soft 17 (52mains/50crosses). It will be here tomorrow. Very exciting!

Not sure about my string choice. Probably should have gone with a hybrid for more power - but I can always change that later.

Thanks again to everyone for all their feedback.

Cool. Let us know how you like it.

MAXXply
04-30-2013, 04:50 PM
I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried this 310 as well as the VCT89. Which did you prefer?
I've tried Yonex 310's before and had mixed results: RDX500 MP was good but RDTi-80 lacked plow-thru. I'm wondering if the VCT89 is a heavier - but not too heavy - maneuverable compromise?

BC1
05-01-2013, 10:48 AM
My 97 Tour 310 was delivered - She's beautiful!

Typical Yonex high quality PJ (love the Red, and the color is different then the other vcores). Specs are right on target or very close. Mine strung is 320 grams without overgrip and dampner. 6-7 pts HL.

I also love the fact that it comes with a Yonex dampner and a Yonex cloth drawstring cover - very nice touches!

JackB1
05-01-2013, 11:37 AM
My 97 Tour 310 was delivered - She's beautiful!

Typical Yonex high quality PJ (love the Red, and the color is different then the other vcores). Specs are right on target or very close. Mine strung is 320 grams without overgrip and dampner. 6-7 pts HL.

I also love the fact that it comes with a Yonex dampner and a Yonex cloth drawstring cover - very nice touches!

It IS a beaut that's for sure. But I found it to lack power and plowthru. Go very low on tension. I think you will ened up preferring the PD in the end. I demo's it and was underwhelmed. Maybe you'll like it better? I think the VCore Xi 98D is a much better choice. In the end though, I always pass on Yonex's due to the weird head shape and the horrible grip (ultra thin w/ no flare).

BC1
05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
It IS a beaut that's for sure. But I found it to lack power and plowthru. Go very low on tension. I think you will ened up preferring the PD in the end. I demo's it and was underwhelmed. Maybe you'll like it better? I think the VCore Xi 98D is a much better choice. In the end though, I always pass on Yonex's due to the weird head shape and the horrible grip (ultra thin w/ no flare).

Wow Jack - Rain on my parade why don't you!!
That's ok... deep down I know you are probably correct in your assesment, but let me dream a little! I have had various mixed feeling about the vcores in the past, but this one just looks special, but I know it's a stretch for my 4.0 game. My next racquet (IF this one fails) will be your racquet, the 104. I KNOW i like that one and it is great for my game and soooo easy. I played with it for around a month right after they came out, and loved it. I just keeping fighting it for no good reason - I guess only because it's a "104". But you can't argue with results.

FWIW - the headshape on the tours are not as pronounced as on other yonex sticks - looks more "regular", but yes, you are definitely right about the grip (butt), absolutely horrible, but I knew that coming in. It's fine. I'll just build one.

JackB1
05-01-2013, 01:54 PM
That's ok... deep down I know you are probably correct in your assesment, but let me dream a little! I have had various mixed feeling about the vcores in the past, but this one just looks special, but I know it's a stretch for my 4.0 game. My next racquet (IF this one fails) will be your racquet, the 104. I KNOW i like that one and it is great for my game and soooo easy. I played with it for around a month right after they came out, and loved it. I just keeping fighting it for no good reason - I guess only because it's a "104". But you can't argue with results.

FWIW - the headshape on the tours are not as pronounced as on other yonex sticks - looks more "regular", but yes, you are definitely right about the grip (butt), absolutely horrible, but I knew that coming in. It's fine. I'll just build one.

lol...sorry my friend. That PD12 is very tough to beat. If u are OK with the stiffness there's no many better in it's class. I LOVED it when I was using it.
What I love about the 104 is I can play any style well with it. I can crush groundies or cut slices low to the net...I can hit droppers on a dime or loop moonballs into the corners. It's the swiss army knife of racquets!

corners
05-01-2013, 03:03 PM

If you compare the headshpe of the tours to a "regular" racquet you'll notice that the shape is regular, with the only difference being that the top and bottom of the oval are cut off. This effectively places the center of the stringbed higher, or further from one's hand. The center is in the same location as it would be with a midsize. This is a good thing if you tend to hit high in the stringbed, IMO.

Regarding "power", I wouldn't put much stock in claims about this. Every study on racquet power has shown that differences are minimal if the swingweights are similar, minimal to the point of being miniscule, in fact. For example, someone in this thread mentioned that the Rdti 80 was very low power, but Chris at TW says that racquet is so lively he needs to string it tight with poly, just like he does with the C10 Pro. And lots of people have complained about the low power of the C10, but Chris gave it an 85 rating in terms of power, about the same as he gave the Pure Drive Roddick. Power is bull****, in my opinion, it's mostly a matter of perception, or more precisely, of perceptual errors. But even though I believe that I still try to find racquets that offer free power. Such is the suggestive power of twenty years of marketing focusing primarily on "power."

I would focus on other performance characteristics - feel, stability, etc. Most people don't adjust string tension properly when moving from one stick to another, which can skew reports about "power." The tours have 20 crosses and are rather short from bridge to tip, making for a pretty dense stringbed. If you string it up at the same tension you would with a Pure Drive, for example, it's going to feel boardy and low powered. Need to drop tension.

dadozen
05-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Which strings have you guys been using in your 97s?

I currently own the 89 but its weight is kiling my shoulder, so I'm moving to the 97 310g. Already ordered them, but will get them only by next week.

I'm wondering if ALU or Focus Hex would be a good choice.

JackB1
05-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Corners, I agree somewhat with your take on "power", but there is a HUGE difference if you compare a super stiff, thick beamed tweener to a low powered racquet like a Prestige. But if you are looking at similar speced racquets in the same general class, then yes, power can be easily adjusted with 5-10 lbs change in tension. A Pure Drive at 60 lbs is probably pretty equal in power to a Prestige at 50.

oldcity
05-02-2013, 07:44 AM
i demoed this one and didn't really find low powered. i've never played with other yonex frames though. thin beam was maneuverable, 2hbh loved the long grip. nice feel. no issues with plow or stability, racquet head speed took care of that. demo had yonex 850 multi at mid tension. it had good power and was pretty controlled. minimal string movement. the racquet was comfortable, not stiff, but would have preferred it more flexible. had it been so, i might be playing with one now. didn't have time to dial in serves, but it had promise, as i threw down a couple of aces.

Gasolina
05-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Can anyone compare the "comfort/stiffness" level vs. the 95D? I think the 95D is the stiffest my wrist can take.

eidolonshinobi
05-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Can anyone compare the "comfort/stiffness" level vs. the 95D? I think the 95D is the stiffest my wrist can take.

Definitely and noticeably stiffer.

It is comfortable to hit with, and does not seem as stiff as the stock RA indicates. Once again though, stiffer than the 95D.

JackB1
05-02-2013, 11:40 AM

forget it then. definitely stiffer than the 95d, which I didn't feel was very stiff at all FWIW. If you want a Yonex with some nice flex to it, try the Xi98 or the RDiS 200.

GBplayer
05-02-2013, 01:39 PM
I have been playing with mine since last August and found that Wilson NXT tour 17 at 55/58 to be just about perfect for me.

GBplayer
05-03-2013, 07:28 AM
I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried this 310 as well as the VCT89. Which did you prefer?
I've tried Yonex 310's before and had mixed results: RDX500 MP was good but RDTi-80 lacked plow-thru. I'm wondering if the VCT89 is a heavier - but not too heavy - maneuverable compromise?

Not sure about your comment of having tried the 310's before. It is niether of the above racquets?

GBplayer
05-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Have changed the standard grip for a Wilson premium leather grip ( not sure wether to use an overgrip yet ). It now wieghs in at exactly 12 oz ( 340g ). 10 1/2 points headlight with a swingwieght of 322. This seems almost ideal for me playing doubles, rock solid on volleys and easily able to reach within 3 feet of the baseline when on my baseline if hitting at about 70%.

MAXXply
05-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Not sure about your comment of GMShaving tried the 310's before. It is niether of the above racquets?

I meant I have tried both the RDTi-80 310gms - better known as the RDTi-80 Lite, as well as the RDX 500 MP which is also 310gms unstrung. The RDTi I found lacked plow-thru. The RDX 500 was ok in that respect.

I was asking those who have tried both the VCT97 310gms as well as the VCT89 which one they preferred... :-)

GBplayer
05-03-2013, 07:50 AM
I meant I have tried both the RDTi-80 310gms - better known as the RDTi-80 Lite, as well as the RDX 500 MP which is also 310gms unstrung. The RDTi I found lacked plow-thru. The RDX 500 was ok in that respect.

I was asking those who have tried both the VCT97 310gms as well as the VCT89 which one they preferred... :-)

Sorry, misunderstood your question.

Gasolina
05-03-2013, 07:52 AM
forget it then. definitely stiffer than the 95d, which I didn't feel was very stiff at all FWIW. If you want a Yonex with some nice flex to it, try the Xi98 or the RDiS 200.
Thanks - I am coming from the RQiS 1 Tour. I think I'll settle for the 95D for now :)

Btw - are you referring to the Ezone Xi 98 or the Vcore Xi 98?

JackB1
05-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks - I am coming from the RQiS 1 Tour. I think I'll settle for the 95D for now :)

Btw - are you referring to the Ezone Xi 98 or the Vcore Xi 98?

Ezone...............

BigT
05-31-2013, 08:54 AM
So any idea when these babies will be liquidated for $79.99??

Antoine
05-31-2013, 12:37 PM
About 2 years from now ? oO

Francis27
05-31-2013, 01:51 PM
I demoed the Yonex Vcore Tour 89 a month ago and it is a really great racquet. The headsize feels a lot bigger than an 89 probably because of the big sweetspot i can hit a lot of spin and in front of net on the volleys it felt pretty good too

ASH1485
08-14-2013, 11:40 PM
I demoed the Yonex Vcore Tour 89 a month ago and it is a really great racquet. The headsize feels a lot bigger than an 89 probably because of the big sweetspot i can hit a lot of spin and in front of net on the volleys it felt pretty good too

currently playing with the 89, a great stick but so tiring for me in longer matches and the SW is slowing my backhand a little.

just ordered the 97 310, will see how it goes ...

GBplayer
08-16-2013, 04:42 AM
currently playing with the 89, a great stick but so tiring for me in longer matches and the SW is slowing my backhand a little.

just ordered the 97 310, will see how it goes ...

I hope that you enjoy it, as I have mine. I have been playing with it for over a year now, and still enjoy every minute on court. :smile:

ASH1485
10-04-2013, 11:03 AM
so ....... kept coming back and forth between the 89 and the 97 310
i returned the 89s then i asked TW to have them shipped back to me again ... now i am re-sending them to TW !!
i have been in a dilemma, but now i really know the 97 310 is the one for me.

found that the 97 almost plays the same as the 89 with so little adjustment, but it was much easier toplay with.I wasnt getting late on my shots like the 89, it is very fast and manuevrable. The deciding factor for me was the serve, the 97 allowed me to generate more head speed and was serving bombs,in addition kick serves was unmatched and better than any other racket i served with.

can anyone share their customization experiences with the 97 310?

dhdriver
10-04-2013, 12:42 PM
so ....... kept coming back and forth between the 89 and the 97 310
i returned the 89s then i asked TW to have them shipped back to me again ... now i am re-sending them to TW !!
i have been in a dilemma, but now i really know the 97 310 is the one for me.

found that the 97 almost plays the same as the 89 with so little adjustment, but it was much easier toplay with.I wasnt getting late on my shots like the 89, it is very fast and manuevrable. The deciding factor for me was the serve, the 97 allowed me to generate more head speed and was serving bombs,in addition kick serves was unmatched and better than any other racket i served with.

Hey ASH 1485

I got a pair of 97 310 just over a week ago and love them. What I did was put a leather grip (head) and then added 4 grams of lead at 3 and 9. It worked out pretty well for me.

I have mine strung with yonex poly tour spin. I hope this helped!

rallyguy
10-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I've demoed it a couple times with different strings and just pulled the trigger yesterday as I'm sold on it and I don't switch racquets regularly. I've essentially been playing with qvWilson ncode 6.1 95 16 by 18 for 7 years now. I am although always on the occasional demo jag in search of something better and I think I may have found it in this stick. Control=better. Feel=better. Power=same or slightly more. Spin=slightly more. Weight=slightly less (good for my advancing age). Arm Friendly=same if not better.

So my only customization that I'm thinking is putting a little lead around the bottom of the handle under the grip to create more of a "butt" as the Yonex grips have less than the Wilsons and add a touch more head light feel.

Eagerly awaiting it's arrival tomorrow.

ASH1485
10-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Hey ASH 1485

I got a pair of 97 310 just over a week ago and love them. What I did was put a leather grip (head) and then added 4 grams of lead at 3 and 9. It worked out pretty well for me.

I have mine strung with yonex poly tour spin. I hope this helped!

thanks dhdriver

what is the weight and SW after your setup ?
i think adding a leather grip will reach it to 12oz, which is why exactly i left the 89.

i want to keep it below 11.8oz but have the same balance.

Greg G
10-05-2013, 04:54 AM
I am still on the fence between the 89 and the 97 (310)! I hit well with either of them. I am partial to the plow of the 89 though. I'll probably just keep them both in my bag :D

McLovin
10-05-2013, 10:39 AM

See here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=464376

In the end it did not work out and I went back to my X Force Pros. But for my inability to control the forehand, it was a great racquet.

To be sure, I blame my stroke and not the racquet. Backhands, volleys, serves: They were all better with the Tour 97. But as my confidence waned on my forehand, it bled into the other strokes, and in the end I just couldn't keep a ball in play. 100% mental.

gocard
10-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm very interested in the vcore 97 so this has been a very helpful thread. I'm still using my ncode six-one 95, so would probably be comfortable with a 330 weight but I am curious about the 310 - do most people prefer it due to its increased maneuverability? A lot of reviews have described it as being whippier.

corners
10-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I've still got one of these. Great stick for this weight class, IMHO. I love the head shape; nearly every square inch is usable space. I haven't played enough with it to give it an informed review, but my only complaints so far are a feel that's more muted than I prefer and that it's a little more rigid than I like. But both things might be OK once I get my preferred strings in it.

Greg G
10-05-2013, 06:15 PM
^ For me it lagged behind the 89T when I used a nat gut/poly hybrid. Going to full bed Tour Bite soft has transformed it immensely!

corners
10-05-2013, 07:32 PM
^ For me it lagged behind the 89T when I used a nat gut/poly hybrid. Going to full bed Tour Bite soft has transformed it immensely!

Interesting. How so? I would have thought a softer string bed would compensate for the higher stiffness and lower intrinsic power of the lighter 97. In fact, that's kind of what I'm banking on with this stick. The one I have is strung with Alu right now and I was thinking of putting gut/poly in there.

Greg G
10-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Well strings are a very personal thing, so everyone will have different experiences. I found that with gut poly, the trajectory of the ball was flatter, and I was missing more long. Perhaps I could have adjusted with higher tension. But I went with full poly and got the effect/trajectory/feel I wanted. It may be a purely string issue :)

ASH1485
10-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Interesting. How so? I would have thought a softer string bed would compensate for the higher stiffness and lower intrinsic power of the lighter 97. In fact, that's kind of what I'm banking on with this stick. The one I have is strung with Alu right now and I was thinking of putting gut/poly in there.

in fact, a poly like Tour Bite will bring the best out of the 97 because its a racket with huge spin potential. haven't tried natural gut though.

i am currently using it with yonex poly tour and also played with LUX Alu Power, both play great.

ASH1485
10-05-2013, 09:45 PM
See here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=464376

In the end it did not work out and I went back to my X Force Pros. But for my inability to control the forehand, it was a great racquet.

To be sure, I blame my stroke and not the racquet. Backhands, volleys, serves: They were all better with the Tour 97. But as my confidence waned on my forehand, it bled into the other strokes, and in the end I just couldn't keep a ball in play. 100% mental.

Mclovin, of course i saw your famous thread before purchasing the racket. i am having the exact same issue like yours. the 97 improved my serve, backhand and volleys but i am still not adjusting with the forehand.
i am determined to keep hitting forehands only in my coming practice sessions till i get the hang of it. i have gained confidence in all the other shots PLUS the manuevrability i got, it was a good switch for me.

GBplayer
10-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Ash1485, out of interest. How much does your racquet wiegh strung with polys, and do you use an overgrip?

ASH1485
10-05-2013, 11:00 PM
GBPlayer, i didn't weight it actually but yes i use the yonex super grap overgrip.

which i believe adds around 6 grms to the racket.

i am happy with the stock so far, but i feel if adding little weight it would feel perfect. it gets a little flimsy on off center shots and while returning big serves.

Just don't know where to locate the lead, i am confused here because i feel it doesn't need any lead at 12, but then i didn't like lead at 3 & 9 :???:

GBplayer
10-05-2013, 11:35 PM
GBPlayer, i didn't weight it actually but yes i use the yonex super grap overgrip.

which i believe adds around 6 grms to the racket.

i am happy with the stock so far, but i feel if adding little weight it would feel perfect. it gets a little flimsy on off center shots and while returning big serves.

Just don't know where to locate the lead, i am confused here because i feel it doesn't need any lead at 12, but then i didn't like lead at 3 & 9 :???:

I found by putting a leather grip on, it made it a bit dead in the upper hoop. So I added 5 grams on the outside of the frame just below the bumper guard. It raised the sweetspot to make the whole frame usable. So placed at about 10 and 2.

You use polys which are heavier than multis, so maybe 2 grams at 10 and 2? 1 gram either side would do the job?

ASH1485
10-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Thanks, will try with 2 grams only.

GBplayer
10-07-2013, 07:57 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/e98yfn.jpg

2.5 grams placed either side on outside of racquet.