PDA

View Full Version : Help an old guy coming back from shoulder surgery find a stick! current=P Approach ti

Miljack
10-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Hey all,
coming back from shoulder surgery and am looking for a more modern stick. I'm a 4.5 player, better doubles than singles, but trying to play more singles these days. I have switched from hard courts to soft courts about 5 years ago (my knees and ankles LOVE me again!), so have been developing more spin on both sides. One handed backhand, and somewhere between eastern forehand and semi-western forehand grip.

I have been using a Prince Approach Ti-mid for the last ~5 years or so. I was playing with a Head iPrestige MPXL prior to that. I have hit with the following semi-recently;

Head Radical mid-Orange currentish model
Babolat Pure Storm +
Babolat Aero Storm

So, I'm currently serving with an abbrieviated motion (ie. Roddick or "modern" motion) and would like a little more pop than my current stick. Would also like to generate more spin than my current setup. I'm using a Co-poly/multi string bed.

Prince Approach Ti mid specs;

Head Size: 95 sq. in. / 613 sq. cm.
Length: 27.50 inches / 69.85 cm
Strung Weight: 11.50 oz / 326 g
Balance: 6pts HLSwing Weight: 338

Also using some lead tape on some of my rackets, currently like it with the tape..

Boricua
10-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Hey all,
coming back from shoulder surgery and am looking for a more modern stick. I'm a 4.5 player, better doubles than singles, but trying to play more singles these days. I have switched from hard courts to soft courts about 5 years ago (my knees and ankles LOVE me again!), so have been developing more spin on both sides. One handed backhand, and somewhere between eastern forehand and semi-western forehand grip.

I have been using a Prince Approach Ti-mid for the last ~5 years or so. I was playing with a Head iPrestige MPXL prior to that. I have hit with the following semi-recently;

Head Radical mid-Orange currentish model
Babolat Pure Storm +
Babolat Aero Storm

So, I'm currently serving with an abbrieviated motion (ie. Roddick or "modern" motion) and would like a little more pop than my current stick. Would also like to generate more spin than my current setup. I'm using a Co-poly/multi string bed.

Prince Approach Ti mid specs;

Head Size: 95 sq. in. / 613 sq. cm.
Length: 27.50 inches / 69.85 cm
Strung Weight: 11.50 oz / 326 g
Balance: 6pts HLSwing Weight: 338

Also using some lead tape on some of my rackets, currently like it with the tape..

ou could like Yonex, maybe the RDIS 200. Its on sale on TW

MikeHitsHard93
10-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Pure storm tour as well.

mikeler
10-23-2012, 11:19 AM
I see a few problems here. Number 1 is that you are using a co-poly string known to cause injuries and number 2 is the extended length. I recently gave up on 27.5" rackets due to arm problems. One of the most comfortable rackets you'll find is the Prince Exo Tour. The 16x18 is much nicer than the 18x20 IMHO.

sstchur
10-23-2012, 11:38 AM
I see a few problems here. Number 1 is that you are using a co-poly string known to cause injuries and number 2 is the extended length. I recently gave up on 27.5" rackets due to arm problems. One of the most comfortable rackets you'll find is the Prince Exo Tour. The 16x18 is much nicer than the 18x20 IMHO.

There's also the non-extended version of mikeler's former racquet: The ProKennex 5G. Has an arm friendly reputation.

Put some Gamma Professional in it and even strung really tight it will feel soft.

Miljack
10-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Let me add a couple of things;
shoulder injury not completely due to tennis (did have some damage and repaired), but an accident created the need for surgery.

Flex rating on the prince is=60

I'm about 5'9" so that's why I've liked using the extended rackets to help with my serve (previously my best shot), I can hit flat, and heavy kick serves, well USED to!

thanks,
keep the suggestions coming

mikeler
10-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Let me add a couple of things;
shoulder injury not completely due to tennis (did have some damage and repaired), but an accident created the need for surgery.

Flex rating on the prince is=60

I'm about 5'9" so that's why I've liked using the extended rackets to help with my serve (previously my best shot), I can hit flat, and heavy kick serves, well USED to!

thanks,
keep the suggestions coming

I'm also 5'9" which is why I've tried to stick with XL. The longer racket is going to put more torque on your arm. The flex rating on the Exo is 52 which obviously helps with comfort.

sureshs
10-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Just get the BB Sportster really cheap and be done with it

ced
10-23-2012, 01:13 PM
There's also the non-extended version of mikeler's former racquet: The ProKennex 5G. Has an arm friendly reputation.

Put some Gamma Professional in it and even strung really tight it will feel soft.

Second this suggestion ........

Miljack
10-24-2012, 04:06 AM
will a 1/2" longer racket really contribute to shoulder/arm issues? I haven't had any TE, or shoulder pain with my prior rackets. I was using a full bed of Lux ALU PWR Fluoro. LOL, the surgeon came out after my procedure and asked my wife if I had complained of shoulder pain, and she said no, why? He told her my shoulder was a mess! So, maybe I was doing some unknown damage but didn't couldn't feel it! I don't think so, but it is kinda funny...

mrmike
10-24-2012, 04:14 AM
I would consider the Volkl C10 Pro or the Prokennex Ki5. I've tried both and they are both arm friendly. Personally I really like the C10.

basil J
10-24-2012, 04:56 AM
PK sold their mold to babolat years ago. I believe the KI5 has the same lay up as the original storm or drive, not sure which one, but they are both 16 x 20. KI5 is a great serving frame and very good on the arm. After my shoulder surgery it was and continues to be my go to stick when I am fatigued or have soreness. (I am 51 BTW) The BB melbourne is also very arm friendly and a good serving stick as well. The RDIs 002 is arm friendly and a spin monster with the right set up. Of course there is also the redondo, IMO the softest players frame I have tried to date.

michael valek
10-24-2012, 05:23 AM
anything kneissl, silver star / all in one / power star

UCSF2012
10-24-2012, 09:04 AM
I would suggest playing tennis with a 5 lb dumbbell, initially. Swing a dumbbell to strengthen your shoulder muscles through all the tennis shots. Pulling those stretchie ropes can help too.

mikeler
10-24-2012, 09:22 AM
will a 1/2" longer racket really contribute to shoulder/arm issues? I haven't had any TE, or shoulder pain with my prior rackets. I was using a full bed of Lux ALU PWR Fluoro. LOL, the surgeon came out after my procedure and asked my wife if I had complained of shoulder pain, and she said no, why? He told her my shoulder was a mess! So, maybe I was doing some unknown damage but didn't couldn't feel it! I don't think so, but it is kinda funny...

Luxilon is like piano wire. I'd ditch that for sure.

USArmyTennis
10-24-2012, 09:36 AM
I just ordered some demo's from Donnay, I'll let you know how they hit once they arrive. Definitely had quite a few people reccommend them to me. Solid core racquets designed not to tear on your body so much

klementine
10-24-2012, 09:52 AM
I second the exo3Tour100, either pattern BUT the 16x18 is definitely more comfortable and accepts full poly beds nicely. I too am coming off a non-tennis related shoulder injury, subsequent surgery, rehab and now after 10months am just starting to go 90-100%. PK sounds like a good route as well, no experience here with those frames.

Mikeler is correct. Luxilon strings are like piano wire, especially alu,bbo,timo,savage, etc. There are some good alternatives to polys however, like M2, RIP and Recoil (don't even know if Prince still produces this string). 4G at low tensions is also a great option. Tension can also play a very important role, I've had some multis and syn.guts strung in the upper range that have done a number on my shoulder, much more so than say BBO at 40lbs, initially strung.

Good Luck!

ahuimanu
10-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Like the earlier posters, highly suggest the Pro Kennex racquets. I stray away but eventually have to go back to my PKs' I'm an old school player with over 30 years of wear and tear.

You might way to check out YouTube on using the rubber cords to develop your shoulder and arm fitness. I spent years coaching youth baseball and have used this on my kids (and myself) to keep arms/shoulders strong and healthy.

Best of luck!

NicoMK
10-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Hi,

Had some shoulder problems a few years back - without surgery though, but painful enough to prevent me from playing "properly" for more than two years. I used to play with a stick that was not helping with the pain… Then switched to Fischer for the next 12 years… I was in love with those sticks, the Fischer Pro Classic 98, great in terms of feel and sooo comfortable for my arm and shoulder… ZERO pain since years.

I recently switched as, getting older, I think I needed a stick offering a bit more power and pop. Hard to replace my old sticks :cry: . I demoed many racquets from many brands as I was very careful with my shoulder in my quest to a new stick.

After months, I finally chose the new Yonex EZONE Xi 98 : almost same feel as my beloved Fischer, more power, a bit easier from the baseline… exactly what I wanted, PLUS perfect for my shoulder. :)

Hope it will help… Good luck!

smirker
10-24-2012, 03:04 PM
PK sold their mold to babolat years ago. I believe the KI5 has the same lay up as the original storm or drive, not sure which one, but they are both 16 x 20. KI5 is a great serving frame and very good on the arm. After my shoulder surgery it was and continues to be my go to stick when I am fatigued or have soreness. (I am 51 BTW) The BB melbourne is also very arm friendly and a good serving stick as well. The RDIs 002 is arm friendly and a spin monster with the right set up. Of course there is also the redondo, IMO the softest players frame I have tried to date.

Iteresting post Basil. I think I remember reading this before but had forgotten it. Currently considering a switch from the Pure Drive to the KI5 so not too much of an adaptation required it would seem?

basil J
10-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Iteresting post Basil. I think I remember reading this before but had forgotten it. Currently considering a switch from the Pure Drive to the KI5 so not too much of an adaptation required it would seem?The KI5 is a lower powered frame than the babolats, but it still has plenty of pop with the right strings. Plays equally as well with a multitude of different string types and set ups. best of all it really is safe on the arm and shoulder.

Miljack
10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. How do the PK rackets stack up in regards to upper hoop stiffness? I think my current Prince is pretty good that way, and I've hit with some softer frames that felt very "whippy" if that's the right term, ie. the rack started flexing around the mid point close to the throat and kept flexing up through the tip of the racket, sort of like a fishing rod? I'm not sure if that is something that can be quantified or is just more of a feel or preference...

Keep em coming, and Basil, keep posting, your avatar will keep the interest up in this thread! :)

NLBwell
10-24-2012, 07:44 PM
ProKennex rackets are something to try, of course. I don't have any shoulder problems with my Microgel Prestige Pros, which are very comfortable, but the Youtek and IG are much stiffer and less comfortable.

Minion
10-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Just thought i'd add my 2 cents. I had shoulder surgery at the end of February this year - arthroscopic Subacromial Decompression (ASD) to be exact. Unfortunately the damage to my shoulder was severe enough to warrant them slicing me open nice and good like.

Before the operation i played 4 times a week, league, mixture of singles and doubles. I like playing aggressive tennis. Anyway, my main stick was the Head YouTek Prestige MP (18x20) and all was well.

Once i was able to put the ball over the net again (4 months after the surgery), i could barely lift the Prestige, and anything above shoulder hight caused considerable pain.

Long story short, i tried the following racquets:

Babolat Pure Drive 2012 - the light one.
Head YouTek Speed MP 18x20
Dunlop Bio Max 200G
Wilson Juice something or other, cant remember exactly but it was spectaculary ugly.
Head IG Radical MP
Head IG Instinct

I strung all the above with my favourite strings, the Pacific ATP power hybrid @ 54lbs. Also strung them with Head Sonic Pro 17 @ 54lbs.

I can write essays about all my racquets and setups, but i dont want to bore people more than i have to, so the bottom line is this:

The Dunlop Bio Max 200G is the racquet that was the most comfortable, manouverable, forgiving etc... out of all that i tried. It is the most awsome racquet i've ever played with (after i added 12grams of lead tape of course:)

danix
10-25-2012, 09:54 PM
I recommend a Kinetic (PK) racquet to anyone with arm or shoulder pain. The Ki5 is literally the only frame I have been able to consistently play with and manage pain over the last year.

basil J
10-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. How do the PK rackets stack up in regards to upper hoop stiffness? I think my current Prince is pretty good that way, and I've hit with some softer frames that felt very "whippy" if that's the right term, ie. the rack started flexing around the mid point close to the throat and kept flexing up through the tip of the racket, sort of like a fishing rod? I'm not sure if that is something that can be quantified or is just more of a feel or preference...

Keep em coming, and Basil, keep posting, your avatar will keep the interest up in this thread! :) her name is hillary fisher and you can google lots of great pics. she is a beauty for sure!

ramosxp
10-26-2012, 01:09 PM
The head radical line has always been pretty arm friendly, Youtek isn't too far away in feel, but maybe just a tad stiffer. Based on some of your stats, you sound similar to me and my playing style, single handed backhand and all. I play with Dunlop 200's because I love the weight and performance at the net. Great control on the baseline as well. No arm issues whatsoever.

As someone coming back, the strings are just as important. You can check out my profile and link to my website I've wrote about this stuff. We're so lucky today to have all these options with equipment, back int the day, it was all about heavy racquets and very few options if you had these types of aches and pains on the court.