PDA

View Full Version : Dimitrov: best shot in tennis history!

Paullaconte1
10-24-2012, 07:01 AM
OMG

How the H. he did this? A winning drop volley behind his back!!!????

http://newyork.tennistonic.com/view_tennisnews?nid=1355&/Dimitrov-performs-one-of-the-best-shots-ever...-not-even-Federer---Youtube

I am sure nobody can find a shot better then this in tennis history....

Not even Federer's addict

GAME ON!!!;-)

Nostradamus
10-24-2012, 07:11 AM
AGREE, BEST ever. but i really think Roger can pull that shot off too. it will take some practice though. and if Grigor tries that shot 100 times, how many time do you think he can pull that off ?

BrooklynNY
10-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Someone else has already done this though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvMdBJccWLo

Paullaconte1
10-24-2012, 07:22 AM

Good Dig! Maybe Dimitrov's was a bit more difficult... but Sampras' one wasn't that bad either... ;-)

BHiC
10-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Good Dig! Maybe Dimitrov's was a bit more difficult... but Sampras' one wasn't that bad either... ;-)

I don't know, I think Pete's was more difficult because he was having to adjust to a netcord return, whereas Dimitrov did not have to deal with an unexpected bounce. Regardless, both of these are incredible shots.

tennis_pro
10-24-2012, 07:38 AM
I don't know, I think Pete's was more difficult because he was having to adjust to a netcord return, whereas Dimitrov did not have to deal with an unexpected bounce. Regardless, both of these are incredible shots.

I disagree. In Sampras' case the ball didn't just kiss the net so that Sampras had no time to react, he had an additional second to do so, thus making it easier for him to pull it off.

Dimitrov had to deal with a passing shot hit at max speed, also he had to hit the ball behind his back. To be honest it was a bit of a lucky shot but for pure quality Dimitrov's was better.

Nostradamus
10-24-2012, 07:39 AM
I disagree. In Sampras' case the ball didn't just kiss the net so that Sampras had no time to react, he had an additional second to do so, thus making it easier for him to pull it off.

Dimitrov had to deal with a passing shot hit at max speed, also he had to hit the ball behind his back. To be honest it was a bit of a lucky shot but for pure quality Dimitrov's was better.

yea but if he tries that 100X, how many times is he making it ?

tennis_pro
10-24-2012, 07:44 AM
yea but if he tries that 100X, how many times is he making it ?

I could see Sampras making it a couple more times. It was a hard shot but a makeable one. Dimitrov won't do it again if he tried 200 more times, that doesn't mean his shot wasn't legit, tho.

paulorenzo
10-24-2012, 07:45 AM
it's great to see dimitrov pulling off unconventional, highlight reel worthy shots.

BHiC
10-24-2012, 07:48 AM

Yeah, I see what your saying. Both were ridiculous, but Dimitrov's probably was a little better

Nostradamus
10-24-2012, 07:50 AM
I could see Sampras making it a couple more times. It was a hard shot but a makeable one. Dimitrov won't do it again if he tried 200 more times, that doesn't mean his shot wasn't legit, tho.

i say Sampras can pull that shot off 50 out 100. and Dimitrov most likely 2 out 100.

paulorenzo
10-24-2012, 07:53 AM

i dont think it was all about luck though. perhaps dimitrov could make it again if given 200 chances. some guys do practice these kinds of shots, surely not as much as the forehand drive or whatever and not to the extent of Bahrami or Santoro, but it happens. federer mentioned, when questioned about his USO tweener, that he actually does practice it. i'm sure it says more about the 'lax nature of some players' practices than anything, but you can see how guys like federer and monfils can pull off these kinds of shots.

paulorenzo
10-24-2012, 07:54 AM
i say Sampras can pull that shot off 50 out 100. and Dimitrov most likely 2 out 100.

no question pete can out half-volley dimitrov from any uncomfortable position.

Boricua
10-24-2012, 07:56 AM

When Sampras hit the ball it was coming slower as it had hit the net, so it was less difficult to hit

Nostradamus
10-24-2012, 07:56 AM
no question pete can out half-volley dimitrov from any uncomfortable position.

That is why Pete has 16 majors and Dimitrov has Zero

tennis_pro
10-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Winning more majors means that one hits the regular shots better than the other player. Every single player in the top 100-200 is capable of pulling off GOAT shots. It's consistency that seperates them.

BHiC
10-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Winning more majors means that one hits the regular shots better than the other player. Every single player in the top 100-200 is capable of pulling off GOAT shots. It's consistency that seperates them.

Exactly. Sampras, Fed, Djokovic, Nadal, none of them have the record for the fastest serve. The guy who has hit the fastest serve in tennis history (Samuel Groth) has never been ranked inside the top 100.

Nostradamus
10-24-2012, 08:07 AM

sorry but disagree with you. it has intimidation factor. I think now after that shot, Dimitrov could finally win a major next year. All the pros are talking about that shot in the locker rooms and how they are intimidated by it. There is no defense against that shot. What if Dimitrov hits that shot on Match point at Wimbledon final.

BrooklynNY
10-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Maybe Dmitrov will go on to break the consecutive slam semi record after this shot

:D

Warmaster
10-24-2012, 08:12 AM
sorry but disagree with you. it has intimidation factor. I think now after that shot, Dimitrov could finally win a major next year. All the pros are talking about that shot in the locker rooms and how they are intimidated by it. There is no defense against that shot. What if Dimitrov hits that shot on Match point at Wimbledon final.

Not really, it looks cool and it's hard to pull off, but anyone who has ever played tennis has made an 'impossible' shot at one point, it doesn't mean anything.

DoubleDeuce
10-24-2012, 08:14 AM
That's what happens when you follow Rodge.

Anyone's tennis IQ can increase just by watching and copying him.

jrs
10-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Ok, I give the victory to Sampras - because he's using a smaller racquet and he's not copying another player's every stroke!

I wonder if Dimtrov thought - "wait a second should I hit this brilliant shot? I don't think Roger ever did - maybe I shouldn't, should I?"

Glad he hit - was a great shot!

forzamilan90
10-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Dimitrov's shot>>Sampras' shot...either way I don't think either of these is the greatest shot of all time.

My personal choice for best shot ever for aesthetical reasons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hp-EArV6s8&feature=player_detailpage

chrischris
10-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Dimitrov's shot>>Sampras' shot...either way I don't think either of these is the greatest shot of all time.

True , this one is the best so far. Danke Roger!

Sid_Vicious
10-24-2012, 03:31 PM
True , this one is the best so far. Danke Roger!

I think this is the most amazing one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDfVARw3mc

egn
10-24-2012, 03:31 PM
AGREE, BEST ever. but i really think Roger can pull that shot off too. it will take some practice though. and if Grigor tries that shot 100 times, how many time do you think he can pull that off ?

Hi I'm a ******* and can't appreciate something without somehow finding a way to go well Roger could do it as well and probably better.

Avles
10-24-2012, 03:43 PM

Grande signore del tennis, a te rendo omaggio. :)

Towser83
10-24-2012, 03:57 PM

Did he recently make a comeback and win 2 more majors? :P

Both good shots, both a bit lucky I guess.

ctoth666
10-24-2012, 04:00 PM

AB testing the shots back-to-back, Dimitrov's is far more entertaining and far luckier and far less-reproducible. That shot is worth at least, what, 17 majors? or the 1 that he'll never win?

Sid_Vicious
10-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi I'm a ******* and can't appreciate something without somehow finding a way to go well Roger could do it as well and probably better.

LOL, implying that Nostradamus is a *******...

Nostradamus
10-24-2012, 04:19 PM
LOL, implying that Nostradamus is a *******...

That's right. Roger Federer's 13 majors can't be matched by anyone on the tour.

Magnus
10-25-2012, 03:34 AM
Its stupid to award a best shot ever, there has been so many great ones, tough to pick.

BHiC
10-25-2012, 03:48 AM

Haha, that's a good one! There is not a single pro in that locker room who is intimidated by that shot. I bet you that they hope he tries that shot against them. There is no defense for that shot because there doesn't have to be - for every 20 times Dimitrov tries that shot, he will miss at least 19.

Now, about your last sentence. First it is implying that Dimitrov will be able to get to that point, which is highly doubtful. If he can come up with that shot on match point, then I guarantee you that is how the pros will want to lose the match. If Dimitrov has to come up with that kind of ridiculous shot to win, all of the pros know he can't do that consistently.

tennisaddict
10-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Fed hits shots like this every day.

stringertom
10-25-2012, 04:17 AM
^^^Great sig!

Comparing GSOATs is like finding the best Twainism...they are all incredibly remarkable. I have always liked his reference to SF freaky weather patterns. As to GSOAT, I have to lean towards the Basel/Roddick answer-a-smash-with-another-smash winner...that combined supreme athleticism, hand/eye coordination AND imagination! The Dimi and Sampras shots were more reflex; Fed had to gallop quite a way before making his shot, apparently able to convince himself to try the implausible.

BHiC
10-25-2012, 04:26 AM
^^^Great sig!

Comparing GSOATs is like finding the best Twainism...they are all incredibly remarkable. I have always liked his reference to SF freaky weather patterns. As to GSOAT, I have to lean towards the Basel/Roddick answer-a-smash-with-another-smash winner...that combined supreme athleticism, hand/eye coordination AND imagination! The Dimi and Sampras shots were more reflex; Fed had to gallop quite a way before making his shot, apparently able to convince himself to try the implausible.

Thanks, I figured the sig was appropriate for this time of year.
I agree with you, there are just too many candidates for the best shot ever to really narrow it down. And that doesn't even take into account the hundreds of crazy shots that were not caught on camera.

TheNatural
10-25-2012, 04:44 AM
That Sampras serve volley half volley behind the back drop shot winner (with his tiny racket) was amazing, it looked like he had total control of the shot, the whole thing even looked very aesthetic and smooth. Dimitrov looked like a stiff old man bending over, he stuck his racket out and poked and hoped, he got lucky and it worked out. Great shot though.

dhdriver
10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Even 9gag is loving the shot.

kishnabe
10-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Sampras was more impressive. It felt like he follow the shot with some underspin than just plainly put it out there.

1972murat
10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Let's remember another guy with amazing hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQrT5xsCwX0

...never seen anyone even attempt something like this since.

As to Dmitrov's and Pete's shots, both are amazing and shows the feel for the ball these guys have.Luck aside, you can see how soft these guys' hands are. I can see that shot attempted and the ball ending in the second row by some players playing today...

kalyan4fedever
10-25-2012, 10:48 AM

get outta here, this has got to be one of the coolest shots i have ever seen jaw dropping stuff, fed now would never even try to reach that smash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSpiK7qzS5U&feature=related

Paullaconte1
10-25-2012, 06:34 PM
get outta here, this has got to be one of the coolest shots i have ever seen jaw dropping stuff, fed now would never even try to reach that smash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSpiK7qzS5U&feature=related

Nice video.... Roger is still the master..;-)

diadorakuerten
10-25-2012, 09:29 PM

THat's my fav too

niktub
10-26-2012, 09:23 AM
So weird when you notice all the Fed's gimmicks.

BauerAlmeida
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Dimitrov's was far better than Sampras's.

In samprass's shot the ball hit the net and gave him plenty of time.

LuckyR
10-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Shots like the OP's are successfully hit at clubs all over the world every day. They just aren't filmed. If you or I hit a 1 in 10,000 shot successfully, it means we got lucky, not that we are crazy skilled.

Think about it. How many shots are hit worldwide every day? Plenty of 1 in 10,000 and 1 in 100,000 shots are going to happen.

Fun to watch on a clip, though.

Russeljones
10-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Shots like the OP's are successfully hit at clubs all over the world every day. They just aren't filmed. If you or I hit a 1 in 10,000 shot successfully, it means we got lucky, not that we are crazy skilled.

Think about it. How many shots are hit worldwide every day? Plenty of 1 in 10,000 and 1 in 100,000 shots are going to happen.

Fun to watch on a clip, though.

Yawn. Do I really need to berate you for your dig at a pro for being pro?

paulorenzo
10-26-2012, 08:24 PM
dimitrov played pretty well in his last match against mathieu. it was a great match, worth catching a replay if you haven't seen it.

Claudius
10-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Not even half as impressive as Federer's tweener passing shot.

sbengte
10-27-2012, 02:37 AM
What an arrogant reaction from Baby Fed after he hit that shot !

MauRod
10-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Dimitrov did a great point with that demi-volley behind his back...but what about Roddick's last point against Raonic in Memphis 2011 ? :)

Paullaconte1
10-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Definitely the best Championship point ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4m3Ue1DwoA